**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

The Mutant Class: A Retrospective

SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
Evolution. All X-men movies start with some talk about evolution. The mutant class has evolved from a pretty meh class with some hits and a bit more misses to the best class in the game by a wide margin, and has comfortably positioned itself to continue being this dominant class for a long while. To start, we must go back to a time. A time when Seatin was still in his shed, where Magento was a terrible mutant five star pull, when the mutant class was led by Archangel, Omega Red, and Domino, when Blade was considered beyond god tier. This time is July 1st, 2019. (which is kinda long for a game like this)

Because around then, datamined files of a Colossus buff were brought forth by Otriux. It seemed too good to be true- triple immunities, havok counter, and solid damage output. A buff for Old Man Logan was also leaked as well. Fast forward to November of 2019, where the mutant class had also received Namor and Sunspot, both with incredible damage and utility. (mainly on Namor’s side) And finally the buffs went live. It was here that things began to change for the mutant class. They were both well received by most, but Colossus was the clear winner of the two. Over time, he gained more traction, and earned a spot in Seatin’s beyond god tier category. A solid bump to the mutant class, the big push needed to get them going.

In 2020, the first mutant released was a trophy champion, but a solid one nonetheless. Weapon X is a solid attacker and defender, but while a nice boost to the class, mutants needed more good characters in the basic pool instead of trophy champs. Following that, Kabam original character Storm Pyramid X was released as a tie-in to Marvel Realm of Champions. While not the best mutant, she had decent damage potential and neat utility. The next mutant to be released was trophy champ Platinumpool in August. While decent and a favorite among some characters, he wasn’t the best for the mutant class.

On August 31st, the September patch was given to players, and with it, buffs to the Magnetos. While White Magneto was a decent support character for Heroes and Metal champions, Red Magneto was a powerhouse that absolutely destroyed Metal champions. An instant Beyond God Tier, Red Mags was insane. Then, September brought Professor X and Apocalypse. Professor X was a bursty, big special damage champion with a lot of unique synergies that gave some boosts to a lot of mutants. But Apocalypse. First called a dud by some, he was incredible. Synergies that turned bad pulls like Cable and Storm into powerhouses, and the Horseman ability that completely changed the game for all mutants. The mutant class went from third best in many eyes to the best quicker than Kabam Miike can turn on his rig ray. This has also made the mutant class extremely competitive to be good, as the top 15-20 are great.

With all the mutants in game, (the mutant class does have the second most champions in game) you have a counter to pretty much everything. A wide variety of utility and damage lets them adapt to paths and nodes everywhere. And the hype train isn’t slowing down. With two new mutants next month in Jubilee and Stryfe, and their ability to tackle entire lanes of Act 7 by themselves, the mutant class looks to be the best for quite some time. But then again, it can all change with a snap of your fingers.

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★

Now, I think there is only one thing missing from the mutant class... a Swiss Army knife of utility like we have in other classes. For example Warlock who has power drain, immunities, armour up (havoc counter) and decent damage. Or BWCV in the mystic class with more utility than you can shake a stick at... and that’s why I’m my opinion she is superior to Doom (but that’s for another time). I would love to see a champ like this fit into the mutant class! Also with the addition of Apoc, more than half of the class become great champs when made horseman so this was a great boost!

What about Omega? Bleed resistance>Bleed immunity, No damage back, Multiple sources of damage(helpful for bypassing rage,safeguard,etc.), suicide compatible, insane regen, good heavy range making him usable in stun immune matchups,etc.

Now, I think there is only one thing missing from the mutant class... a Swiss Army knife of utility like we have in other classes. For example Warlock who has power drain, immunities, armour up (havoc counter) and decent damage. Or BWCV in the mystic class with more utility than you can shake a stick at... and that’s why I’m my opinion she is superior to Doom (but that’s for another time). I would love to see a champ like this fit into the mutant class! Also with the addition of Apoc, more than half of the class become great champs when made horseman so this was a great boost!

What about Omega? Bleed resistance>Bleed immunity, No damage back, Multiple sources of damage(helpful for bypassing rage,safeguard,etc.), suicide compatible, insane regen, good heavy range making him usable in stun immune matchups,etc.
    Whilst yes Omega is fantastic and I gave him r5 sig 200, I wouldn’t consider his utility in the same way as that if BWCV, Warlock, etc. He has it, but for a half of the players in game who don’t use suicides... his damage is harder to get to and in many cases impractical (the thoughts of my ally... not me) @The_Sentry06
    I suppose he doesn't have as much utility as Warlock or Claire.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★

Whilst yes Omega is fantastic and I gave him r5 sig 200, I wouldn’t consider his utility in the same way as that if BWCV, Warlock, etc. He has it, but for a half of the players in game who don’t use suicides... his damage is harder to get to and in many cases impractical (the thoughts of my ally... not me) @The_Sentry06
    But he still has a fair bit of utility
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    CGR2020 said:

Especially with suicides/match-ups against champs like Archangel.
    He has extra utility against Archangel? Am i missing something?
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★

CGR2020 said:

he gets the bleed from aa’s heavies
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★

CGR2020 said:

he gets the bleed from aa’s heavies
    Ah right thought it might be that but you'd have to get hit first so wasnt sure if thats what they meant
    CGR2020 said:

Thicco_Mode
    Jragon_Master
    Demonz_Fyre

Pretty sure they were being sarcastic.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,938 ★★★★★
    CGR2020 said:

CGR2020 said:

Thicco_Mode
    Jragon_Master
    Demonz_Fyre

Pretty sure they were being sarcastic.
    They were not. I said: "Say that again I dare you", and they kept saying: "Pretty sure he's a dud; heard he's a dud; say that he isn't a dud I dare you".

Edit: I think that was a joke at one point lol.
    Sounds exactly like sarcasm. Nobody thinks he’s a dud.
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★
    6/10
    Good detail but all you did was tell us what happened. I was there my friend, I remember what happened. Try adding some of your own thoughts, opinions. Before even reading this I knew everything in the post.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,938 ★★★★★
    CGR2020 said:

Moot4Life said:

6/10
    Good detail but all you did was tell us what happened. I was there my friend, I remember what happened. Try adding some of your own thoughts, opinions. Before even reading this I knew everything in the post.

Ok I will tell you what I can remember. A few weeks ago, I saw someone make an thread about Apocalypse fans, and at the bottom of the page I saw someone say: "I think he was a dud". Then I said: "Say that again I dare you". Then they said it again and told me to say what I said before again. So I did and eventually they quit. But then someone else said: "Heard he's a dud". Then I said: "Say that again I dare you". Then the same stuff happened again, and then a third guy comes in and says: "Heard he was a dud somewhere". Lastly I once again said: "Say that again I dare you. You are like the 3rd person who has called En Sabah Nur a dud lol". Then we all went out on a laugh. The end.
    Moot was responding to the original post.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    CGR2020 said:

Hoodie25 said:

CGR2020 said:

Hoodie25 said:

CGR2020 said:

Apocalypse looks pretty much like a utility mutant.
    Thank god to finally hear somebody say something good about Apocalypse!
    Dude. We’ve been over this. At this point, just about everyone thinks apocalypse is really good, and it’s been that way for several months
    Some people still think he is a dud, and I have to tell them that Apocalypse is NOT a dud.
    Who, exactly? I’m genuinely curious at this point, I haven’t seen anyone diss apocalypse for quite some time
    Thicco_Mode
    Jragon_Master
    Demonz_Fyre

Edit: I was being sarcastic.
    well no you definitely weren't being sarcastic, you actually thought that, but I always said that as a joke. as an owner of a 6* r2 duped apoc, he is certainly not a dud
  • QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★

CGR2020 said:

Hoodie25 said:

CGR2020 said:

Hoodie25 said:

CGR2020 said:

Dude. We’ve been over this. At this point, just about everyone thinks apocalypse is really good, and it’s been that way for several months
    Some people still think he is a dud, and I have to tell them that Apocalypse is NOT a dud.
    Who, exactly? I’m genuinely curious at this point, I haven’t seen anyone diss apocalypse for quite some time
    Thicco_Mode
    Jragon_Master
    Demonz_Fyre

well no you definitely weren't being sarcastic, you actually thought that, but I always said that as a joke. as an owner of a 6* r2 duped apoc, he is certainly not a dud
    Flex was unnecessary
  • Hoodie25Hoodie25 Posts: 312 ★★★
    Qacob said:

CGR2020 said:

Hoodie25 said:

CGR2020 said:

Hoodie25 said:

CGR2020 said:

Thicco_Mode
    Jragon_Master
    Demonz_Fyre

Flex was unnecessary
    Nah, flex emphasized the point