**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Spidey reviews the Sam Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy

SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★
Spoilers for 2002’s Spider-Man below

I’ve finally done it. I have finally watched the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man. I’d seen some of the memes, and some clips online, but I haven’t actually seen the movie. I haven’t seen the second and third installments either, which I’ll post reviews for later in this thread. But that aside, this film was hyped up by many, and some had said it’s the second best, or even best, Spider-Man movie. Did it meet those expectations? Well………. kinda. Onto the review!

The Green Goblin suit looks fantastic. It is one of my favorite supervillain outfits of all time, and the mask really sells it for me. Speaking of Gobby, the entire character was fantastic. Willem Dafoe does a masterful job portraying Norman Osborne, and he is one of my two favorite characters in this film. The balance between sane and insane is great and he really feels like the comic book character in a lot of ways. The other character is, obviously, J. Jonah Jameson. He. Is. Amazing. Wish he was in more of this film, honestly.

The action in this is pretty fun, although Goblin makes some questionable decisions (use the explodey bombs, dang it, not the injury-causing plot convenience ones!) The web swinging in this was super fun to watch, and the way Peter himself just fights and moves in general feels like they copy-pasted bits from the comics. Tobey Maguire does a solid job of playing Peter Parker, and a decent-ish job as Spider-Man. There’s definitely a couple aspects of his Spider-Manning that I’d like to be improved upon, but it’s a solid performance nonetheless. The suit itself is something I’m still undecided on, it’s just silver feels out of place and off for me.

James Franco is pretty fun to watch, and I hear he gets more screen time later. (which makes me happy) Kirsten Dunst was fine as Mary Jane, nothing special or bad about her. Only weird thing with her character is she figured Peter was Spider-Man because of his lips. Not like the voice is a dead giveaway or anything, nooooooo.

As for the plot, it’s basically your generic superhero origin story. Dead parent, freak accident, superpowers, it checks all the boxes. Sets up the villain with a cliche, but it’s forgiven by Willem Dafoe’s amazing performance. The romance scenes are a tad bit on the awkward-ohmygodcanwepleeassssegetbacktothesuperheroingstuff side, but the chemistry is there enough to stop them from being terrible. This honestly works well for the most part as a stand alone film, but does set up a couple things they can explore in the next two. It does feel a bit homagey at certain points, and it doesn’t help they got the dude who scored Batman to score this as well.

All in all, it’s a solid film I’m glad I watched. 7.5 out of 10.

I’ll review the other two later in this thread after I watch them.

Comments

• CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,935 ★★★★★
    Is it weird that I have only seen the third one?
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

kinda

Crcrcrc said:

kinda
    I guess I do have plenty of free time thanks to quarantine. Maybe I should get on that. The third one is pretty good though.
  • PuttPuttPuttPutt Posts: 241 ★★★
    edited January 2021
    Crcrcrc said:

I’m gonna put some dirt in your eye.
  • LmaoLmao Posts: 820 ★★★
    No mention of bonesaw? disappointed
    PuttPutt said:

Crcrcrc said:

I’m gonna put some dirt in your eye.
    All the Black Suit Peter parts were absolutely incredible and hilarious.
    Lmao said:

that joke did not age well lol
  • HeroBoltsyHeroBoltsy Posts: 785 ★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

I missed the part where that's my problem.

...sorry, couldn't help myself. Personally agree with a couple of your points, as someone who's been getting more into acting and directing lately Dafoe's performance was a real highlight for me (and, of course, JK Simmons as JJJ, perfection right there). And yeah, I think Tobey does a real solid job, although I'll have to dissent on the score - Elfman's Spider-Man work is one that I'm particularly fond of, and I'd be kinda disappointed if they don't bring it back if the Spider-Man 3 rumors are to be believed.

That's all I got for now. Hope you enjoy the next two, Spidey!

Crcrcrc said:

I missed the part where that's my problem.

...sorry, couldn't help myself. Personally agree with a couple of your points, as someone who's been getting more into acting and directing lately Dafoe's performance was a real highlight for me (and, of course, JK Simmons as JJJ, perfection right there). And yeah, I think Tobey does a real solid job, although I'll have to dissent on the score - Elfman's Spider-Man work is one that I'm particularly fond of, and I'd be kinda disappointed if they don't bring it back if the Spider-Man 3 rumors are to be believed.

That's all I got for now. Hope you enjoy the next two, Spidey!
    I never said the score was bad, it’s actually pretty decent. Just the fact that it’s the same guy who scored Batman increases the similarities.

Lmao said:

What do you mean?
  • Thebombsquad1Thebombsquad1 Posts: 755 ★★★
    Lmao said:

Lmao said:

What do you mean?
    He’s dead
    Lmao said:

Lmao said:

What do you mean?
    the joke about the costume?

Did your husband give it too you?

Lmao said:

Lmao said:

What do you mean?
    the joke about the costume?

Did your husband give it too you?
    Why wasn't that aged well? It's not like it was homophobic or anythin

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

kinda
    I guess I do have plenty of free time thanks to quarantine. Maybe I should get on that. The third one is pretty good though.
    Did we watch the same Spider-Man 3? That movie was terrible :( unfortunately it was out of Sam Raimis hands. He was forced to make a movie based on popular villains from the comics, however he wanted to use Vulture, but they made him use Venom & Sandman cause they were popular at the time, so he pretty much made a film based on a villain he lacked knowledge on.
    I thought the first part with the symbiote suit was excellent. The sandman part was bad though.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    edited January 2021
    The scenes with black suit Spider-Man in the 3rd film are all gold.

Mr Ditkovitch is hands down the best Spiderverse character ever. His character arc is probably the best I’ve ever seen. The chemistry he shares with the protagonist is undeniably magical but what shines the most is his ultimate goal to achieve the rent. The actor playing Mr Ditkovitch put forth a performance so commendable that I forgot he is even acting. You can literally see in his eyes that the only thing he ever cares about is the rent. He waits in his room everyday, hoping to catch a glimpse of the protagonist so he can fulfill his purpose. The immeasurable disappointment he expresses when he realizes that his dream is not coming true is enough to break anyone’s heart. The saddest part of all however is the fact that his storyline is left in a cliffhanger in the third movie. We as a viewer never get to know if he receives the rent that he values more than his own life. I hope we get a spin-off movie to address this, and give this outstanding character the conclusion he deserves. ❤️

What an inspiring character.
  • Prakhar_82Prakhar_82 Posts: 713 ★★★
    I meant the review is pretty good but aren't mcoc forums made to priorities mcoc related stuff? There are various posts non-related to mcoc but they all conclude into suggestion, tips and expectations for the game whereas this thread is simply made to get yourself some awesome/insightful points but actually not helping the community in any way.
    I could be highly wrong but this thread will get closed.
  • Prakhar_82Prakhar_82 Posts: 713 ★★★
    Anyway, I am excited to see all three of them (Tobey Andrew and Tom) portraying as next spider -MEN? in the next movie. That would be 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥.
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    All is nice except that the score of the movie is brilliant. Batman's and this score are entirely different. This score is so remarkable that if you play this score most people will tell you this is spider -man's score. Zimmer's score pales in comparison to this one. That's saying something.

7.5? You are being so cruel on this movie.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★

Mr Ditkovitch is hands down the best Spiderverse character ever. His character arc is probably the best I’ve ever seen. The chemistry he shares with the protagonist is undeniably magical but what shines the most is his ultimate goal to achieve the rent. The actor playing Mr Ditkovitch put forth a performance so commendable that I forgot he is even acting. You can literally see in his eyes that the only thing he ever cares about is the rent. He waits in his room everyday, hoping to catch a glimpse of the protagonist so he can fulfill his purpose. The immeasurable disappointment he expresses when he realizes that his dream is not coming true is enough to break anyone’s heart. The saddest part of all however is the fact that his storyline is left in a cliffhanger in the third movie. We as a viewer never get to know if he receives the rent that he values more than his own life. I hope we get a spin-off movie to address this, and give this outstanding character the conclusion he deserves. ❤️

"This is a free country, not rent-free country"
    - Mr.Ditkovich

All is nice except that the score of the movie is brilliant. Batman's and this score are entirely different. This score is so remarkable that if you play this score most people will tell you this is spider -man's score. Zimmer's score pales in comparison to this one. That's saying something.

7.5? You are being so cruel on this movie.

Lads. I never said the score was bad. I quite enjoy it.
    edited January 2021

you’ll get your rent once you fix this door