**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

My worries about 4*s

DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★
Will keep it brief as it's past midnight here and im knackered!

I've seen a lot say 4*s will be obsolete and I didn't have any of it, until I now know that a RANK1 6* is as strong as a Rank 4 5*!!!

No a 4* to a r4 is already a big difference, these days in AQ 4* don't even pack that much damage!

So it seems certain that at some point 4* will be obsolete, obviously not yet and not at first... but is bad enough having a full roster of 3*s that I can't use in game... yes I could but why? Keep the old format of war and do that for 3*s or something... add in a feature where they can be used.

But back to my point, either diminishing returns or challenger rating is going to ruin 4*s coming up against 6* champs going forward.

I am quite worried about this...

Comments

• MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    edited October 2017

I've seen a lot say 4*s will be obsolete and I didn't have any of it, until I now know that a RANK1 6* is as strong as a Rank 4 5*!!!

Where was this mentioned? The only place I can find any info on 6* strength is the new challenge but all of those champs are buffed up with nodes. So their PI isn’t representative of the 6*s we’ll eventually be able to use. Unless you’ve seen this elsewhere? I would imagine it’s equal strength to a r3 5*. Usually the case with how a r1 4* is like a r3 3*, or how a r1 5* is like a r3 4*.

EDIT: never mind I just found the comment. I didn’t realise you meant challenger rating. Does seem a little extreme considering how hard it is to get a 4/55
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    4*s will be useful for a long time. I do think they will become obsolete except for maybe the best group, but It'll be quite some time before 6*s are duped and ranked and relevant.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    edited October 2017
    They won't be obsolete, certainly not for a while. In terms of CR, a 4* R5 will be one step below a 6* R1. That's a minimal difference. Of course, we won't logically take a Roster of 4*s into fighting 6*s and expect it to perform the same as 5*s. For that matter, 6*s will probably be rare, and the content they come up in will no doubt initially be aimed for more developed Rosters.
  • Jkw634Jkw634 Posts: 284 ★★
    The first thing 4 stars may become obsolete in first is new content. Depends on if kabam will force us to face 6 stars or not and how high ranked they maybe.
    That all depends on the content. In order to offer content that adds more challenge, it has to be more challenging. Which means what we could do with 4*s may not be as easy unless we have 5*s. As with many things, people will have to work up to it and build more.
  • BadroseBadrose Posts: 779 ★★★
    Will keep it brief as it's past midnight here and im knackered!

No a 4* to a r4 is already a big difference, these days in AQ 4* don't even pack that much damage!

So it seems certain that at some point 4* will be obsolete, obviously not yet and not at first... but is bad enough having a full roster of 3*s that I can't use in game... yes I could but why? Keep the old format of war and do that for 3*s or something... add in a feature where they can be used.

But back to my point, either diminishing returns or challenger rating is going to ruin 4*s coming up against 6* champs going forward.

I am quite worried about this...

Unfortunately we knew that since they announced the 6*. Of course everything will depend from the type of content they'll release in the future. An event entirely based on 6* champions will make 4* obsolete as much as the 3* are now. And then... well, then we will have to start from the beginning, duping the same champs with a * more, and that will bury this game once and for all.
  • NemesioNemesio Posts: 134
    SirTodd_83 wrote: »
    I wish we were able to max a 5* champ before hearing about 6* champs. Poor form kabam

The sad part about that is that we are in mid october now, and t2a is really scarce and T5b (needed to maxout 5*) is nonexistent
  • DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,883 ★★★★
    They are rapidly becoming just a stepping stone. Definitely a necessary one though. Unless there's a huge game changer of a champ that comes out I'm probably done ranking 4* past r3.
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    I will only be running 4*'s in the challenge to test them out against 6* champs. It should be a long time before they are obsolete and I would hope that by that time we will have already received a big increase in 5* shards to build our 5* rosters up and have the means to max them.

• FAL7ENFAL7EN Posts: 297
    At this point and seeing the new CR why would you even consider taking a 5* to rank 5? Just save those resources once available to take your first 6* to rank 2. As we know t5b will be extremely rare once introduced so best to just save for a 6*.
    I think the way they scaled up the 6* CR was to aggressive. Not sure of the rationale there other than to really disadvantage 5 to a level we haven't seen.
    Morgan wrote: »
    There is lots of time between now and when 6*s are playable for them to add the means to Max 5*s.

So right.

Mind to pass me few t5bs? i kinda wanna raise 5-6 5/65 before january, they might come handy. All i need aside those t5bs are well... 20 t2alphas! easy right? I'll be done before the first 6* get opened!

They said they would be released before 6*s are playable. They didn't say everyone would have them automatically for when they're released.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    DaMunk wrote: »
    I think the way they scaled up the 6* CR was to aggressive. Not sure of the rationale there other than to really disadvantage 5 to a level we haven't seen.

I suspect it was a design error, but it is worth noting that a 10 point difference in challenge rating is a relatively small effect. When CR was lowered in the 12.0.1 patch to the current levels 5* champions had their CR lowered by way more than that. No one noticed 5* champions becoming vastly less powerful when that happened.

If a 4/55 can have its CR lowered from something like 170 to 110 and no one notices a major difference, then whether a particular rank of 6* champion's CR is 120 or 130 is also going to be only a small difference.

Put it another way: in 12.0 before CR was adjusted a 5* rank 1 had higher CR than a 5/50 4*. But a 5* rank 1 was most definitely not more powerful than a 5/50. It just had a higher CR. In 12.0.1 they decided to change CR to better mirror the overlap in strength between different star rating champs, similar to how PI overlaps.
    DNA it might not be a big deal or it could be a very big deal. Time will tell. Find it sort of curious though. If things are relatively easy in the boss smash with 5* testing could be done with 4* to appreciate the effects of CR
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    maybe to an end game player yes, 4* will become obsolete. That doesn't stop end game players from collecting 2*'s. you still need them for arenas etc. nice to have. fun to look at. more infinity crystals. etc. but in general, no, 4* will still be very much desired to all other people playing this game.