**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Baiting in Arenas Changed?

I have been having battles in arenas where the AI will not seem to take the bait for specials no matter what I do. The AI is spending most of the time blocking, even though I am leaving myself wide open for long periods of time. In some cases, the AI won’t even use an L3. In other cases, the AI will spam heavy attacks even though I’m not blocking. It is very strange.

This is only happening in arenas, and it has only been happening since the last patch. I am not perfect with baiting, but I have been doing it long enough to know how.

Has anyone else noticed this? It’s like every patch they tweak the game mechanics and something gets screwed up.

Comments

• DoctorJDoctorJ Posts: 842 ★★★
    Done this to me in early streak for as long as i can remember.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,723 ★★★★★
    I gave up baiting in Arenas, just hit and try not to get hit or make sure enough health to chew a special 3.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    About 75% of Kang or Thanos teams are all or nothing. Just have to eat a S3 and hope to survive.
  • SomeoneElseSomeoneElse Posts: 424 ★★★
    Usually, I can survive, but last night, I couldn’t and lost my streak. This is poor game design. Some champs, like Hyperion, have insane power gain. Unless they gave every champ power drain or power block, we have no choice but to bait.

I am noticing that the bait chances seem to be per fight, as if something at the beginning of the fight determines how much they will use their abilities. If I get one that it hard to bait on the first try, the the rest of the attempts are usually hard too. If I get one that is easy to bait, then they are easy to bait the entire fight.

I don’t mind fights being difficult. What bothers me is the randomness of something that is required to be able to win. It needs to be about skill, not RNGs.
  • wolfwolf Posts: 106
    Baiting was never proved to work anyway
    winterthur wrote: »
    I gave up baiting in Arenas, just hit and try not to get hit or make sure enough health to chew a special 3.

Like he said above, just dont lose HP, so you can surive to a special 3 at least, and you can finish your opponent before he launches special 3 by the second time
  • 2nd_slingshot2nd_slingshot Posts: 233
    Just don't eat a S3 from either of black widow, Thor, hulk or iron patriot. Their stun timer is enough for 7hits that can combo you into oblivion.
    Thor was the one who got me last night. :p
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,419 ★★★★
    Usually, I can survive, but last night, I couldn’t and lost my streak. This is poor game design. Some champs, like Hyperion, have insane power gain. Unless they gave every champ power drain or power block, we have no choice but to bait.

I am noticing that the bait chances seem to be per fight, as if something at the beginning of the fight determines how much they will use their abilities. If I get one that it hard to bait on the first try, the the rest of the attempts are usually hard too. If I get one that is easy to bait, then they are easy to bait the entire fight.

I don’t mind fights being difficult. What bothers me is the randomness of something that is required to be able to win. It needs to be about skill, not RNGs.

Challenge rating and pi seem to dictate ai aggression, and active debuffs like bleed or incinerate or poison seem to trigger specials more consistently than constant dexterity. If ur champ has higher challenge rating ai is more aggressive, lower then ai will just wait you out

I would have thought the randomness demonstrate the skill level of the Summoner.

I would have thought the randomness demonstrate the skill level of the Summoner.
    That depends on what the randomness is. If the AI does something unpredictable, and I have a split second to react and counter, then that tests my skill. If my champ is standing on the other side of the screen without taking any hits or debuffs, and I start degenerating, bleeding, or get stunned, how does that challenge my skill level when I get KO'd? That is actually embarrassingly bad game design.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    wolf wrote: »
    Baiting was never proved to work anyway

Like he said above, just dont lose HP, so you can surive to a special 3 at least, and you can finish your opponent before he launches special 3 by the second time

What? Baiting absolutely works. But Kang/Thanos are mostly all or nothing except for certain champs so you just need to pick your teams wisely. Also remember you can quit one fight and fight recover will give you a second chance. after you get to fight 15 or 16 they start to play normally again.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Even during the all or nothing stage they will fire L1s and L2s if you are patient enough but it can be frustrating.
  • Speeds80Speeds80 Posts: 2,008 ★★★★
    11-14 it's a good idea to bring power drainers
    That depends on what the randomness is. If the AI does something unpredictable, and I have a split second to react and counter, then that tests my skill. If my champ is standing on the other side of the screen without taking any hits or debuffs, and I start degenerating, bleeding, or get stunned, how does that challenge my skill level when I get KO'd? That is actually embarrassingly bad game design.

I could not find the post I made a rant on being KOed without being hit at the start of fight (IIRC by Coldsnap) if I start a fight with a very low health champ.

I suppose the way out is to land heavies repeatedly.
  • RotmgmoddyRotmgmoddy Posts: 916 ★★★

I do this for the gauntlet. Baiting the AI during the gauntlet is basically more luck based. Sometimes the AI will spam their specials, other times it really feels like they are on an all-or-nothing node and playing downright stupid. This is why I try my best to use maxed 4* and stronger during the gauntlet, as they are more likely to survive at least one L3 to the face from full health.