**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Should I become Thronebreaker?

2»

Comments

• EtherealityEthereality Posts: 685 ★★★
    Do it - it’s definitely worth it
    When I read it the first time I imagined you were thinking of R3ing Iron Patriot or Juggernaut or sumth. But Morningstar??? Absolutely yes!!!
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    DrZola said:

But I also think it’s helpful to dispute the notion that a bad R3 is worth it to unlock all the TB rewards. MS is by far not a bad R3; but the TB benefits, as they stand today, don’t justify being hell-bent on just any R3.

I think the rewards are high enough that they shift the question away from "is this champ good enough to rank up" and towards the more appropriate question of "what are you waiting for?" If you're waiting for a better pull, you have to ask about how fast are you earning T5CC (and how much quicker will you earn it if you were TB), and in the time it takes to get another T5CC what are the odds of pulling a better choice.

If your only choice is Iron Fist, the odds are real good you'll pull a better choice, because most of them are better choices. But if your choice is Morningstar, the odds are low that you'll pull one of the few champs better, which means it will take, on average, a lot longer to eventually pull that better champ. In the meantime, those daily rewards will pile up as opportunity costs.

I think if you're going to pull a better choice in a month or two, its fine to wait. If you think it might be a year or more before you pull a better choice, it is probably better to just rank now. Everything in the middle is a judgment call. And how long it will take to pull a better choice depends on how good your choices are now, and how fast you're earning 6* crystals.

Just for giggles, if I had a mystic T5CC and I wasn't yet TB, which champs would I rank immediately and which would I hold and wait on? It is hard to say when you aren't in the position, but I think having had to think about this not all that long ago I would rank BWCV, Doom, Dragon Man, Longshot, Mojo, Morningstar, Sasquatch, Sorcerer Supreme, Symbiote Supreme, Hood, and Tigra immediately. That's eleven out of I think twenty four options. And I think if my luck sucked so bad I couldn't pull one of them after a couple months I would add Strange and Mephisto to that list out of impatience. If i was feeling really, really evil and still striking out I would next consider ranking Ebony Maw and placing him on defense, because misery loves company.
  • Disgruntled_User_123Disgruntled_User_123 Posts: 1,077 ★★★

So I took the community’s advice and I ranked up Morningstar before the new monthly calendar begins. I’ll keep this thread going in the first month to let those of you who are Cav if it was the right decision.
  • KoiBoy18KoiBoy18 Posts: 305 ★★★
    Congrats @Disgruntled_User_123 and you should have no regrets.

I only got TB on 12/31 but in this first month already received 9000 T5CC (20% of a full crystal) that only TB has access to:

- Free 5% crystal from monthly calendar
    - Three 5% crystals from Glory store

Add that to the 20% T5CC from Jubilee side quest and 10% from Cav EQ and I'm already much closer to my next R3 6*. Even with RNG on shard class, should only take me 2-3 months max for my next R3
    KoiBoy18 said:

Congrats @Disgruntled_User_123 and you should have no regrets.

I only got TB on 12/31 but in this first month already received 9000 T5CC (20% of a full crystal) that only TB has access to:

- Free 5% crystal from monthly calendar
    - Three 5% crystals from Glory store

Add that to the 20% T5CC from Jubilee side quest and 10% from Cav EQ and I'm already much closer to my next R3 6*. Even with RNG on shard class, should only take me 2-3 months max for my next R3

Thanks for the pep talk @KoiBoy18. It’s hard because obviously Doom or BWCV would have been so much useful for my daily playing but I just couldn’t risk the new calendar not being the Thronebreaker version and the community at large tends to think Morningstar is very good. I honestly don’t - any champ that needs five fights to ramp up isn’t a practical champ. Corvus or Aegon (the best ramp up champs) just need one fight to already be very good in endgame content. Still, the community like you letting me know that it’s worth it encouraged me to take the leap of faith.

• DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★
    edited February 2021
    It’s a judgement call - I’d say wait since you could form a class next month that you’ll be happier with
    DrZola said:

A “nuanced” contrarian perspective...

If Morningstar is your R3 choice, that’s a good choice. I wouldn’t flinch at taking her to R3 if that’s your issue. She’s a high quality champ.

But my experience with the “spoils” of TB is that it isn’t really a game-changer. I wouldn’t do it just for those spoils. Let me explain...

Daily crystals are pRNG crapshoots. My haul has been a T4b here, 10% of a T5b there, maybe a couple 9K T2a shard pulls and some mixed T4c stuff. Hardly worth getting excited over. The only full cats I’ve gotten have been T4b and a mutant T4.

But what people screenshot are the jackpot prizes. I hope you get nothing but jackpots, but you’d do well to expect hauls more like mine.

Four-hour crystals are souped-up versions of the old four-hour crystals. Better pots, when I’ve opened a few, and similar frustration around producing a revive when you need one.

The 10% EDIT: 5%calendar T5c crystal is good. Again, pRNG prize, so consider that again.

There’s a once a week shot for a 5% T5c crystal for 2700 glory, which means additional pRNG shots at T5c a month. Overall, that’s good and in my opinion the main TB benefit.

Other free things...25 unit reduction on regular Cav crystals if that’s something you’re into. A couple of shard Cavs a month (likely 3/4*).

Beyond that, there’s a buff to Sigil purchases that allows you to get a featured 6* for 13K shards and the option to trade 10K 5* shards twice for 750 6* shards. But that costs $10 a month for the privilege.

So I’d put it this way: the TB basket of things is like so many gift baskets—a few things that have some value, but a lot of stuff just there to make the basket look full.

Bottom line: if you don’t like MS or don’t intend to ever use her, don’t R3 her. I think she’s a good enough R3 you should learn her if you haven’t already. But of your plan is just R3 because you’ve been sold on the riches that await TB, I’d think a bit more and maybe wait for better options.

Dr. Zola

Not a necrobump, but I realized I erred in listing a 10%T5c from the calendar when it is actually a 5% crystal.

Just clarifying in case anyone references this thread re: TB benefits.

Dr. Zola
    For those of you who are wondering - so far I’m not really impressed with Rank 3 Morningstar. She’s definitely good but not who I would consider amazing. She’s a B champion from what I can tell.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,073 ★★★★
    Do you have meph and g2099? With those two, she gets a lot more.

Awakened she gets a lot better too.
  • EtherealityEthereality Posts: 685 ★★★

For those of you who are wondering - so far I’m not really impressed with Rank 3 Morningstar. She’s definitely good but not who I would consider amazing. She’s a B champion from what I can tell.

@TheManMythLegend care to chip in?

;)
    edited February 2021
    It’s a judgement call - I’d say wait since you could form a class next month that you’ll be happier with

DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

@DrZola

Just FYI, I've been tracking my TB dailies, and here's the current summary for my last 91 crystals (i've actually opened 100, but for certain data purity reasons I am not counting the first nine):

91 crystals isn't a ton of data, but I can see hints of the numbers converging on "likely" percentages. For example it does kind of seem like about 25% of the crystals contain T4B (crystals or fragments), 25% contain T4CC, 25% contain T2A, 15% contain T5B, and the rest is the rest. Those numbers "feel" like they could be what the designer was aiming for approximately, so I'm assuming my pulls are not wildly off the actual designed statistical drop rates.

If so, then the question becomes: how long should you wait for a "better" pull to R3, based on the opportunity cost. Waiting three months for a better pull could cost something on the order of:

17.5 T4B
    16 T4CC
    6.75 T2A
    1.4 T5B
    0.3 T5CC
    10k 5* shards
    40 units

Honestly, I don't even remember what the drops were for the Cav daily so I can't calculate the difference, but my recollection was it was nowhere near. Is that pile of rewards enough for me to rank up Iron Fist to r3? Nope. But is it high enough for me to rank up Morningstar? If it was me, you betcha.

Of course if you hate Morningstar and refuse to play her, that should be a (negative) factor but if you're even just ambivalent about Morningstar, I would recommend ranking up. She's not the best mystic to r3, but I would consider her a very strong candidate for first rank up.

Thanks for the data - I truly appreciate it! I think I’ll wait for the level up event and take her up to rank 3. She really is a frustrating champion to ramp up and in her unawakened state she seems to rely heavily on the mephisto/Guilotine synergy to get her souls faster. At 5 souls, she’s good but she’s definitely not a at a Corvus or Aegon level when they’re ramped up. However, I may never pull a 6 star Doom or a better mystic than Morningstar so I think this is the probably the best bet before the new month begins.

Good call. There aren’t that many mystics I’d put ahead of MS anyway. Good luck!

Dr. Zola
    Theres actually 0. Shes the best
    You’re not related to OneManArmy by any chance, are you? ;)

Dr. Zola
  • Strikerrx8Strikerrx8 Posts: 1,090 ★★★
    Ms get 5 souls n it's over

So I took the community’s advice and I ranked up Morningstar before the new monthly calendar begins. I’ll keep this thread going in the first month to let those of you who are Cav if it was the right decision.

Congratulations! You will be fine with her—I have to admit that every big rankup I do I have instant regret.

She’s a great champ and will clear a lot of stuff for you. Plus you can relax and work on #2 without the worry of whether or not you should do it just for TB.

Dr. Zola
    So an update... my next 6 star was Dr. Doom. I’m pretty sad I ranked up Morningstar now. But - that’s the gamble of this game.
    _Sham_ said:

So an update... my next 6 star was Dr. Doom. I’m pretty sad I ranked up Morningstar now. But - that’s the gamble of this game.

The way Rng in this game work is if you wouldn't have R3'd MS i am pretty sure you would have pulled a dud. So thanks to R3 MS you got the top dog now
    Thanks buddy - that’s kind of how I look at it too.