**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Prof x. or Havok

MiervoMiervo Posts: 54
edited February 2021 in Strategy and Tips
Just got Prof X. as a 5* and my only other good mutant one is Havok who is rank 4. I'm just wondering how much better Prof X. is to him (if he is at all). As I have a mutant awakening gem and am thinking about using on him and ranking him up possibly.
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    For starters, Havok looks better but if you learn the double prowess per SP trick with Prof X, he is waaay better.
  • MiervoMiervo Posts: 54
    is he worth the class awakening gem?
    Miervo said:

I'll say yes, but you have to keep these guys in mind.

Awakening priority:
    Archangel - Colossus - Wolverine - Magneto - Professor X.
    If running suicides - Omega Red definitely.
  • SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★

Miervo said:

Awakening priority:
    Prof X doesn’t need awakening by any means.
    edited February 2021

Miervo said:

Awakening priority:
    Prof X doesn’t need awakening by any means.
    He doesn't need it and that is why I put him waaay last on the priority list. If he has awakened those guys, then it's worth it to pop a class awakening for him. Playing him awakened definitely feels different and better especially if you can push the opponent to an SP3 before the mind control cycle.

It's like with Doctor Doom's awakening. He doesn't need it but it feels better if you have it.
  • IceBroㅤIceBroㅤ Posts: 14
    Both have no immunities and no reliance on their sig abilities. Prof X however has the upper hand in utility due to his true accuracy/vigilance effect and special lock mechanics. Prof X can also excel in damage if played correctly
    His falter is also convenient in Encroaching Stun/Window of Opportunity - Stun nodes in War.
  • AburaeesAburaees Posts: 514 ★★★
    My rank 4 Professor X can take down ROL Winter Soldier in as many hits as my rank 5 Havok.

I like them both.
  • The_beast123The_beast123 Posts: 2,047 ★★★★
    edited February 2021
    Sungj said:

I honestly partially disagree with everyone else in this thread. I have both Havok and Prof X at rank 2 as six stars and while I do agree Prof X is better it's because his damage is insane and because of his mutant synergies. Havok to me clearly has the better utility. Havok's no contact attacks are better because Prof X's first medium makes contact. This means you really can't complete a proper combo or intercept in fights where you need contactless attacks and it's really annoying actually.

People also very much underestimate the usefulness of energy resistance. I use Havok regularly to counter Magiks, Icemen, Energy adoption nodes, 100% shock/incinerate/coldsnap nodes, thermostat, etc. Don't get me wrong Prof X still has solid utility being a complete evade counter and immune to mind control but Havok's utility is much more widely applicable to relevant content. He's also Havok immune so he's a great counter to himself.

I honestly don't think the gap between them is that wide. I personally use Havok more often but that's because I until recently lacked really solid incinerate/coldsnap/shock immune champions, I completely understand why people like Prof X more though. I'd rate Havok an 8/10 and Prof X a 8.5/10. Both top tier options and honestly both worth ranking up as they both offer utiltiy in different areas that will help you in deeper content especially act 6. Energy adoption nodes and incinerate/coldsnap nodes are everywhere in act 6 and Havok is great for them and Prof X is top tier for the Grandmaster final boss.

Firstly, Havok is only incinerate immune. Secondly read through this.
    ' Havok’s Medium Attacks, Heavy Attacks, and Light combo ending attacks do not make Contact, and deal Energy Damage.'
    Which means, except for the Mediums and the Light attacks that come from the end of a combo, the rest make contact. So, 3 of the hits make contact (mostly 3, sometimes lesser hits). So don't have this as a reason to say. And maybe, I'll accept the fact that in case there is a place where we should not make contact, intercepting with Professor X will be a problem, but is there any case as of now where intercepting is a problem when it is a Contact-attack? (this is a doubt, just want to know). Professor X has access to higher number of prowess buffs, quite long ones which can be refreshed too. Mind control, Vigilance and High block proficiency to compensate the lower healthpool brings in very good utility.
    He has Aggressive-playstyle friendly animations too! ( IMO, no need for you to take this as a reason).
  • The_beast123The_beast123 Posts: 2,047 ★★★★
    I Love Havok! It's just that, I personally feel Professor X better than him.
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    I personally believe havok is better but I don’t have a professor x myself so take that into account.
  • MiervoMiervo Posts: 54
    Thanks for the responses. Havok and Prof X are my only "good" mutants currently except for Emma but I don't plan on ranking her currently (uncolected). I've decided to rank up Prof X. but will wait until hes rank 4 or 3 to use the class awakening stone on him.
  • avenge_123avenge_123 Posts: 1,307 ★★★

Aburaees said:

My rank 4 Professor X can take down ROL Winter Soldier in as many hits as my rank 5 Havok.

I like them both.

You are 100% playing havok wrong then.
    He's 100% playing prof x right then.
  • Realm_Of_RahRealm_Of_Rah Posts: 430 ★★★
    Havok has better burst damage for shorter fights, Prof X is better for longer fights. Both have different sets of utilities for different types of nodes:

Havok:
    -Prowess' are all passive, isn't affected by nullify or fate seal the way Prof X is
    -Mediums are non contact unlike Prof X's first
    -Better burst potential for sub 200K opponents
    -Incinerate immune and eratic damage bursts when attacked with energy damage

Prof X:
    -Easy access to buffs, great for incursions and buffed up
    -Most hits are non contact
    -Better damage potential for 200k+ HP fights
    -Easy counter to Miss & Evade so long as the matchup allows it
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★

Sungj said:

I honestly partially disagree with everyone else in this thread. I have both Havok and Prof X at rank 2 as six stars and while I do agree Prof X is better it's because his damage is insane and because of his mutant synergies. Havok to me clearly has the better utility. Havok's no contact attacks are better because Prof X's first medium makes contact. This means you really can't complete a proper combo or intercept in fights where you need contactless attacks and it's really annoying actually.

People also very much underestimate the usefulness of energy resistance. I use Havok regularly to counter Magiks, Icemen, Energy adoption nodes, 100% shock/incinerate/coldsnap nodes, thermostat, etc. Don't get me wrong Prof X still has solid utility being a complete evade counter and immune to mind control but Havok's utility is much more widely applicable to relevant content. He's also Havok immune so he's a great counter to himself.

I honestly don't think the gap between them is that wide. I personally use Havok more often but that's because I until recently lacked really solid incinerate/coldsnap/shock immune champions, I completely understand why people like Prof X more though. I'd rate Havok an 8/10 and Prof X a 8.5/10. Both top tier options and honestly both worth ranking up as they both offer utiltiy in different areas that will help you in deeper content especially act 6. Energy adoption nodes and incinerate/coldsnap nodes are everywhere in act 6 and Havok is great for them and Prof X is top tier for the Grandmaster final boss.

Firstly, Havok is only incinerate immune. Secondly read through this.
    ' Havok’s Medium Attacks, Heavy Attacks, and Light combo ending attacks do not make Contact, and deal Energy Damage.'
    Which means, except for the Mediums and the Light attacks that come from the end of a combo, the rest make contact. So, 3 of the hits make contact (mostly 3, sometimes lesser hits). So don't have this as a reason to say. And maybe, I'll accept the fact that in case there is a place where we should not make contact, intercepting with Professor X will be a problem, but is there any case as of now where intercepting is a problem when it is a Contact-attack? (this is a doubt, just want to know). Professor X has access to higher number of prowess buffs, quite long ones which can be refreshed too. Mind control, Vigilance and High block proficiency to compensate the lower healthpool brings in very good utility.
    He has Aggressive-playstyle friendly animations too! ( IMO, no need for you to take this as a reason).
    You can do the MM combo with havok to not make contact.
  • Fear_of_Clowns2099Fear_of_Clowns2099 Posts: 892 ★★★
    Prof X is awesome. Havok is also awesome. Go to UKM's video and see why he picked Havok from Abyss nexus instead of duping Colossus. Then watch Bero Man destroy people with Prof X. Then make up your mind