**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

“Caution light sensitivity” discussion

Comments

• BendyBendy Posts: 3,347 ★★★★★
    I do agree when entering the game there should be a warning as time goes on kabam makes new champs and designs there will be more champs that look great like psycho man but cant play him or fight him due to the flashing images im glad kabam is aware of this now and posted a caution in game mail and forums but id like to see it when entering also
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    It should be a feature/settings definitely not a complete graphics makeover. Sorta like how FPS games have some settings to help optimise your device. Something in line with that is what I'm thinking.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★

Seems so strange to have objectives in the game where you need to use a particular champion to complete, and yet using that particular champion can cause health issues for people. I realize this was most likely not the intent when designed, but maybe there should have been more thought applied prior to this going live?

I don't think it's was necessarily on their minds. They're not really physicians. It's something they can try to be aware of after the fact, but in general their focus is on designing new content.
  • StaphMemberStaphMember Posts: 337 ★★★
    The concept of a company modifying access to avoid potentially dangerous visual effects is not new. The Pokémon company pulled a particular strobe heavy video from the air permanently after the first showing because of widespread adverse effects. That was 20 years ago! They took the personal and professional responsibility for the effects and took action to avoid further harm to their fan base. They did not limit themselves to a simple warning and call it a day.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,938 ★★★★★

The concept of a company modifying access to avoid potentially dangerous visual effects is not new. The Pokémon company pulled a particular strobe heavy video from the air permanently after the first showing because of widespread adverse effects. That was 20 years ago! They took the personal and professional responsibility for the effects and took action to avoid further harm to their fan base. They did not limit themselves to a simple warning and call it a day.

I can't even counted the number of games I've played that have an epilepsy warning pop up at the beginning and that's it. Games don't need to tone down graphics for this. They just need sufficient warnings to prevent issues. If they had warned that Psycho Man would have epileptic animations, then nobody could complain, because they did what they needed to prevent it. A setting to toggle high-quality animations could help, but I doubt that would happen.
    The warning is so that people can make their own decisions on whether to proceed or not. It's not just absolving responsibility. There's no guarantee it won't happen again with some other trigger. They can't predict who is sensitive to what. The idea is that people won't actually suffer a seizure in the future if something presents itself in a similar situation if they're aware that it may contain such images and content. It's not just about bypassing culpability. A warning serves to be upfront with people so they can make their own choices about what's best for them.
  • WeeHobbit89WeeHobbit89 Posts: 146
    Its a good thing they have done the message but new users wont know about it
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

I can't even counted the number of games I've played that have an epilepsy warning pop up at the beginning and that's it. Games don't need to tone down graphics for this. They just need sufficient warnings to prevent issues. If they had warned that Psycho Man would have epileptic animations, then nobody could complain, because they did what they needed to prevent it. A setting to toggle high-quality animations could help, but I doubt that would happen.
    That would be the minimal approach. They have yet to implement this. It needs to be a warning on the start of the game every time, not a one off in game email. It's not there yet but should be already. That would at least cover them on the warning.

But a good company would actually take the next step to put in a setting for players to minimize the impact. Then, those that like the flashes can keep them, and those that don't (or medically can't) can disable them.

Dude looks like pickle rick anyway. Could care less if had less strobes, but do care that people playing the game could have seizures, migraines, headaches, eye strain and the monthly event requires playing him so many times. There are flashes all over this game, but he is pretty overboard. Some tweaks wouldn't kill him either, we get new moves on character updates as it is (DDHK, Colossus, etc). They didn't get broken by changing their animations, neither will Pickle Rick.

Seems so strange to have objectives in the game where you need to use a particular champion to complete, and yet using that particular champion can cause health issues for people. I realize this was most likely not the intent when designed, but maybe there should have been more thought applied prior to this going live?

I don't think it's was necessarily on their minds. They're not really physicians. It's something they can try to be aware of after the fact, but in general their focus is on designing new content.
    (I knew this thread was gonna take a sour turn upon someone’s very initial reply up here)

So now that they have been made aware of something (which they maybe weren’t before, because as you say they aren’t physicians), but now that they are, you still don’t want them to actually do anything about it ?

(Warning Label is insufficient, as there are new people first discovering the game every day, who will not have seen this “once-only” in-game Mail Msg, unless they forever plan on having this Mail being sent out to every new player as they first start playing the game. And the App Store doesn’t list any such seizure-warning, so no way for people to know in advance of first downloading it).

How many hundreds of other champs are in the game that DON'T have such flashing-intensive graphics ? Was the game totally unplayable and unenjoyable (lagging/crashing aside) before this one new champ came along (only 5+ years in) ?

**And let’s talk about how these intense graphics are probably a big reason why there are so many other threads being made about CRASHING during his SP1. (A lot more crashing than what happens otherwise).

So even if you don't care for them to keep the game playable by seizure-prone players, they should also change it in order to help out the Crashing because of the intense graphics.
    A warning label is not insufficient. It allows people to be aware before they play. Unless you know of some way to prevent anyone from ever being triggered in the future I'm unfamiliar with. The game contains all kinds of flashing graphics and light-intense scenes. One particular trigger isn't the solution to everything and they can't control the health concerns of everyone.
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    HI_guys said:

Reading through this thread, I feel like an option to switch would be the best way to go about this. In the end, no one loses; people who experience discomfort will no longer experience it (they can switch them off), people who don't won't have their visuals affected (they can leave them on), and the developers don't lose a portion of their players (since those who experience discomfort can safely play the game).

I agree with points from both sides of the argument. There isn't a reason why people should suffer lower overall quality of visual gameplay because a minority experiences discomfort. On the other hand, people who are affected by flashing lights should have the option to turn them off for their safety.

I'm no visual effects expert, but altering lighting wouldn't be a huge change, would it?

Providing lower graphics would be more beneficial since there are players who stopped due to laggy devices and unplayable game modes
    Yeah, exactly. Just provide those players with that option, but give every player the option to choose whether they want to play on a lower-graphics setting or not.
  • SormorSormor Posts: 14

HI_guys said:

Reading through this thread, I feel like an option to switch would be the best way to go about this. In the end, no one loses; people who experience discomfort will no longer experience it (they can switch them off), people who don't won't have their visuals affected (they can leave them on), and the developers don't lose a portion of their players (since those who experience discomfort can safely play the game).

I agree with points from both sides of the argument. There isn't a reason why people should suffer lower overall quality of visual gameplay because a minority experiences discomfort. On the other hand, people who are affected by flashing lights should have the option to turn them off for their safety.

I'm no visual effects expert, but altering lighting wouldn't be a huge change, would it?

Providing lower graphics would be more beneficial since there are players who stopped due to laggy devices and unplayable game modes
    Yeah, exactly. Just provide those players with that option, but give every player the option to choose whether they want to play on a lower-graphics setting or not.
    Also an option to turn off stage effects as part of this would be great. The smoke and rain effects can be terrible at night.
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    Sormor said:

HI_guys said:

Also an option to turn off stage effects as part of this would be great. The smoke and rain effects can be terrible at night.
    I feel like the easiest solution would just to have two options. Visual Effects on and off.

With Visual Effects off, there would be no stage effects, background movement, projectile/attack lighting, and no animations while stationary (meaning no switching of Psycho Man's control box while blocking, no flame effects on Torch).

Visual Effects on would just be the gameplay we have now.
    <

Hazzalec1 said:

With respect to those who suffer from this sort of stuff, I think a switch to lower the graphics that trigger it is sufficient, as well as a warning when you open the game saying that there are those sorts of animations, but a switch to lower them in case you suffer from epilepsy or similar.

I’m not trying to take anything away from anyone. I just think that this situation is tough. However I think the solution I put above has some sort of fairness to both parties. That way players without epilepsy can enjoy the full experience of the game, and those who have epilepsy receive a warning and a note about there being a way to reduce those graphics to cater for them. I think Kabam flat out reducing it for everyone takes away from a lot of the community in terms of viewing the graphics, and doing nothing is kinda ignoring the community with epilepsy. I think having a warning and an option is sufficient enough for both. But that’s just my opinion.

As a victim of epilepsy, I agree. I don’t believe that they shout remove him from the game completely, he does have some cool animations. But I do agree with a loading screen warning & they should give options to change graphics.
    That would make sense. If it's feasible.
  • StaphMemberStaphMember Posts: 337 ★★★

Sormor said:

HI_guys said:

I feel like the easiest solution would just to have two options. Visual Effects on and off.

With Visual Effects off, there would be no stage effects, background movement, projectile/attack lighting, and no animations while stationary (meaning no switching of Psycho Man's control box while blocking, no flame effects on Torch).

Visual Effects on would just be the gameplay we have now.
    They can contract a consultant to determine which effects pose the greatest threat and advise on how they might safely avoid these effects in the future as well, or at least create guidelines for a threshold of when/which effects should be modified.
This discussion has been closed.