**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Best and Worst Designed Nodes

YoMovesYoMoves Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
So I thought it'd be time to discuss something that we all have to deal with on a daily basis: Nodes on opponents! Some are fun and add a neat little bit of difficulty and challenge to a fight that makes us play creatively and in a fun, unique manner. Some are just painful, whether as relics of a bygone age or simply didn't get enough playtesting and Kabam rolls it out because it gets kills.

Here's my votes.

Best: Breakthrough: An old node but possibly one of the original examples of a challenge node that benefits players for skill. Huge armor at the start of the fight that makes all attacks do little damage, but the more you hit them, the more damage you do, leading up to negative armor and huge hits later on. This was used to great effect during the Sasquatch side quests, and I enjoy simple nodes like this that provide an enemy benefit that goes away in time with good skill.

Worst: Oscillate: This node is the epitome of bad design. Not only do you rotate between a gigantic attack boost that makes anything but intercepts risky, in armor mode you cannot do any damage at all without guaranteed crits, Quake, or some way of dealing lots of damage over time. That on its own is lousy, but the AI also changes with it. In Attack mode, they are hyperaggressive, meaning the only time most champs can do meaningful damage is when a single mistake can cost your your entire life, even against lower level opponents. In Armor mode, they sit in block forever, only popping out to punish you for thinking this is Mordo and that you can heavy them. And even if you do hit them, you're not doing anything.

Pair that with other nodes that punish you for having poor timing or aggression, especially Brute Force and Bane, and this is one of the worst nodes in the game for gameplay that is just an annoying slog no matter what you do.

Post your personal best and worst nodes to fight! Note: _____ Vulnerability doesn't count, since it cannot benefit the opponent in any real way. Insight and Reprisal do count since they reward specific plays and playstyles that can benefit the opponent if you're not good at them.
Post edited by Kabam Zanzibar on

Comments

• CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,935 ★★★★★
    Best: No retreat- It honestly adds some really interesting challenges. I enjoy planning out my distance with Dex and having to play around it.
    Worst: Lifecycle with Limber- Don't even get me started. I just do not enjoy it. It isn't even that hard of a node too. I just really dislike that combo.
  • odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,370 ★★★★★
    I like invade corvus mains enjoy it
    I hate do not go gentle
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,722 ★★★★★
    I dont mind Oscillate

A node I really liked was Do Not Go Gentle. I enjoyed that one, but Power Shield or Flare are more fun

My most hated node is Icarus. I just hate it. Closely followed by Lifecycle.

I also dunno the new AW nodes, so those are missing. All those Mixmasters etc. I am SO happy I can avoid...
  • YoMovesYoMoves Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    Kerneas said:

I dont mind Oscillate

A node I really liked was Do Not Go Gentle. I enjoyed that one, but Power Shield or Flare are more fun

I also dunno the new AW nodes, so those are missing. All those Mixmasters etc. I am SO happy I can avoid...

I'm curious why you like DNGG. I've never heard support for that node. I despised it until Doom essentially nullified it entirely.

I also have a fix for Oscillate: Make it an actual oscillation. During Attack mode, decrease their Armor by 300% if it's Oscillate 3. It's only fair, considering what the name of the node means.
    YoMoves said:

Kerneas said:

I dont mind Oscillate

I'm curious why you like DNGG. I've never heard support for that node. I despised it until Doom essentially nullified it entirely.

I also have a fix for Oscillate: Make it an actual oscillation. During Attack mode, decrease their Armor by 300% if it's Oscillate 3. It's only fair, considering what the name of the node means.
    Because (if I remember correctly), you dont have to heavy, you can intercept too. So the fight actually becomes a beautiful dance of intercepts. It forced me to get drastically better at dash intercepts (the easiest type ofc), ans now I can nail it almost 100% of the time.

So it is a node that is challenging, but creates no time pressure (Icarus, Lifecycle) or contact pressure (Destructive Feedback). And when you get too many charges, no problem. Just keep distance, wait till AI dashes and intercept it. One hit and out. Repeat that until the charges drop to 0. Also, it requires some little planning at the end of a fight, so that your last combo doesnt give you the charge.

I suppose the main reason why I like the node is, that it is one of the few nodes that really lead players to improve their slightly advanced skills while giving them a no-stress playground to learn
    DRTO said:

Best nodes: Power shield, bleed/poison/dash vulnerability. Just love seeing nodes that make you do insane damage for specific things.

Worst nodes: Do not go gentle (6.2.5 the worst quest in the entire game) No retreat (dumb unavoidable damage for something you have to do often)

Also never been a fan of the mighty charge/heavy handed stun immune combo.

_____ Vulnerability does not count, because it does not benefit the opponent in any way, quote from OP
    Kerneas said:

YoMoves said:

Kerneas said:

I dont mind Oscillate

Because (if I remember correctly), you dont have to heavy, you can intercept too. So the fight actually becomes a beautiful dance of intercepts. It forced me to get drastically better at dash intercepts (the easiest type ofc), ans now I can nail it almost 100% of the time.

So it is a node that is challenging, but creates no time pressure (Icarus, Lifecycle) or contact pressure (Destructive Feedback). And when you get too many charges, no problem. Just keep distance, wait till AI dashes and intercept it. One hit and out. Repeat that until the charges drop to 0. Also, it requires some little planning at the end of a fight, so that your last combo doesnt give you the charge.

I suppose the main reason why I like the node is, that it is one of the few nodes that really lead players to improve their slightly advanced skills while giving them a no-stress playground to learn
    Until you couple it with Mighty Charge or Stun Immunity (and Kabam has done both)
  • Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Genuinely surprised no one has said life transfer for their favorite node yet lol.

I was going to. So enjoyable for people who like quick fights and play with an aggressive playstyle. Haven't had much experience with nodes (still on 5.2, masochism isn't the problem, I am) so can't pick a worst
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    Best node: I really like the node which gives a 100% or 125% attack fury when intercepting the opponent. Don't remember it's name but I like that it benefits being skilled and intercepting and that every champ can benefit from this node and not just few. I believe Dash Vulnerability is a similar node to this.

Worst Node: Unavoidable degen in AQ and Act 4
  • FRITO_ManFRITO_Man Posts: 716 ★★★

Best node: I really like the node which gives a 100% or 125% attack fury when intercepting the opponent. Don't remember it's name but I like that it benefits being skilled and intercepting and that every champ can benefit from this node and not just few. I believe Dash Vulnerability is a similar node to this.

Worst Node: Unavoidable degen in AQ and Act 4

Think that one is foresight from act 7
  • Best node is flare or the blaze node in act7
    Worst is do not go gentle or strength in numbers.
  • GreanGrean Posts: 1,397 ★★★★
    Flare + icarus
    Any passive degen node
    fisticuffs + buffed up
    hurt locker + special delivery
    spite + combo party
    Bane in high level content
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    Foresight is one of the best which rewards you for intercepting.
    I don't like do not go gentle.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    My least favorite is thermostat. It’s imo the most playstyle-restrictive node. It’s not terribly hard, but it extends fight durations by a huge amount.

I really would like Bullet time if you could dex-stun without having to parry first. Perfect name and it’s fun with what would normally be parry/heavy champs.
  • GreanGrean Posts: 1,397 ★★★★

Foresight + Mighty charge-3
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    Grean said:

Foresight + Mighty charge-3
    I have ghost.
    YoMoves said:

Kerneas said:

YoMoves said:

Kerneas said:

I dont mind Oscillate

Until you couple it with Mighty Charge or Stun Immunity (and Kabam has done both)
    Yes, that is true. Although, each of the combinations has solution. For one intercept, for other heavy+heavy counter.

There are also quite a few nodes that can be made insanely annoying. Flare+debuff immunity+ safeguard isnt too fun either, but that doesnt make Flare any less fun
  • HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    Best: Chaos where every special attack triggers a random buff or debuff

Worst: Masochism. I hate it so much after 5.2.4
  • Silver_GooseSilver_Goose Posts: 488 ★★★
    edited February 2021
    Best: Destructive Feedback. Anyone can do it, but it requires intercept skill. Worst: Mighty Charge 2, shutting down intercepts AND parries against dash attacks is counterintuitive and punishes optimal gameplay.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,797 ★★★★★
    Worst: vivified . Completely neuters so many good power control champs. aspect of war is pretty bad too
  • AssumedNameAssumedName Posts: 580 ★★★
    edited February 2021
    Best: Life transfer

Worst: Strength in numbers (I truly can’t believe this garbage hasn’t been removed tbh)