**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

How long does it take for Mcoc for character creation.

Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
I am curious how long does it take for an entire Mcoc character to be created? What’s the process like? How long does it take to come up with a champs kit? If anyone has seen some videos I missed I’m curious to know

Comments

• Hera1d_of_Ga1actusHera1d_of_Ga1actus Posts: 2,439 ★★★★★
    edited February 2021
    stream is a bit long but the info you're looking for is in it https://youtu.be/X-4VQnKw_p0
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

Texas_11 said:

I am curious how long does it take for an entire Mcoc character to be created? What’s the process like? How long does it take to come up with a champs kit? If anyone has seen some videos I missed I’m curious to know

Stay Tune for summer as the Devs will give us a behind the scenes look at bringing Hercules to Mcoc!
    wait actually?
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    Grean said:

This is actually interesting

Yeah. I wish they did a walkthrough on how a character is created. How involved are they with the VFX, are they created before or after the kit.

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    I'm curious too.
  • GreanGrean Posts: 1,397 ★★★★
    they said in august that nova was coming to the contest and he came in January, which is around 4 months. they probably started 2-3 months before, so I think that it would take around 6-7 months per champ

they announced Quake was being added in March before she was added in September, so a minimum of 6 months. They already had promotional art of her when the announcement was made, so maybe longer.

said promo image.

Good find! I didn’t know this, so 6 months seems to be the timeline for each champ .
    DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

If I had to guess, I would guess on average about six to eight months from concept to implementation. We know the devs work closely with Marvel on their character creations and implementations: in effect everything the devs create here is fundamentally like a Marvel writer writing a comic book. Marvel Contest of Champions exists essentially in an alternate but fully authorized reality. And while I have no first hand knowledge of this, I would also guess that the character work they do within the Marvel IP is work for hire: Marvel basically owns characters like Aegon after Kabam makes them.

There are hints out there on the process, either explicitly or implicitly. For example, the champion vote we had recently where Hercules won offered a peak at the brainstorming process. They mentioned what the two finalists might look like in vague terms. Since this is before any serious work had been done on the characters (since the winner hadn't been chosen yet), this suggests this is how they make champions, at least some of the time. They brainstorm a core "concept" of the character before they commit to making it.

Some stuff is more or less guessable by how this works in general. There's a pipeline where different devs work on different things in a certain order. Concept art, modelling, animation, visual effects (vfx), sound design obviously have to happen more or less in that order, and things like abilities and mechanics can happen partially in parallel. There's balance testing and other stuff, probably details specific to Kabam's work flow we aren't aware of but are part of the production details.
    Very good points, Hercules was definitely a start, and I thought it was so cool. Like I wonder if there is an office pool going with who champ is dominant in the game and who can counter that champ, and how many weeks that champ can remain dominant.

I think you are right about the order of concepts. What influences a champion more their VFX or kit ? Did doom have his animations competed before the VFX?
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,369 ★★★★★
    Grean said:

they said in august that nova was coming to the contest and he came in January, which is around 4 months. they probably started 2-3 months before, so I think that it would take around 6-7 months per champ

Actually back in nov or dec 2019 i believe one of the podcasts with gabe as a guest he mentioned they were working on april champs at the time they were literally
    5 mons in for 2020 champs lol
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,369 ★★★★★

Texas_11 said:

Stay Tune for summer as the Devs will give us a behind the scenes look at bringing Hercules to Mcoc!
    wait actually?
    Yes really
  • Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

If I had to guess, I would guess on average about six to eight months from concept to implementation. We know the devs work closely with Marvel on their character creations and implementations: in effect everything the devs create here is fundamentally like a Marvel writer writing a comic book. Marvel Contest of Champions exists essentially in an alternate but fully authorized reality. And while I have no first hand knowledge of this, I would also guess that the character work they do within the Marvel IP is work for hire: Marvel basically owns characters like Aegon after Kabam makes them.

There are hints out there on the process, either explicitly or implicitly. For example, the champion vote we had recently where Hercules won offered a peak at the brainstorming process. They mentioned what the two finalists might look like in vague terms. Since this is before any serious work had been done on the characters (since the winner hadn't been chosen yet), this suggests this is how they make champions, at least some of the time. They brainstorm a core "concept" of the character before they commit to making it.

Some stuff is more or less guessable by how this works in general. There's a pipeline where different devs work on different things in a certain order. Concept art, modelling, animation, visual effects (vfx), sound design obviously have to happen more or less in that order, and things like abilities and mechanics can happen partially in parallel. There's balance testing and other stuff, probably details specific to Kabam's work flow we aren't aware of but are part of the production details.
    Very good points, Hercules was definitely a start, and I thought it was so cool. Like I wonder if there is an office pool going with who champ is dominant in the game and who can counter that champ, and how many weeks that champ can remain dominant.

I think you are right about the order of concepts. What influences a champion more their VFX or kit ? Did doom have his animations competed before the VFX?
    In terms of that particular pipeline, I think concept art has to come first, obviously. From that, the basic 3D model has to be created before anything else, and in particular before animations can be done (an animator can obviously think about the kinds of animations they might want to make, but they realistically have to have a finished model to actually create the animations themselves). I suspect most VFX relates to actions taken by the champion and thus happen concurrently with or after principal animation work is done, although some of it could be done after modeling, and the same with sound: the sound designer probably has to have some idea of what the champion is "doing" before they design the specific sound effects associated with those actions or events.

I'm going to guess that kit probably comes first most of the time. I think that every champion has to "fit into" the game somewhere; it has to have a role or purpose, at least at the start. So kit comes first. Or rather, I think the thing that comes first is a pairing of character and kit: someone is thinking about all the different Marvel characters and looks for inspiration to make an interesting kit or foundation of a kit based on that character. So the characters we were voting on were probably all character + kit sketch combinations. Hercules, the skill based cosmic with momentum for example. From that kernel, I think everything else is built upon.
  • HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    It takes them 1

Not weeks not months just 1
    DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

In terms of that particular pipeline, I think concept art has to come first, obviously. From that, the basic 3D model has to be created before anything else, and in particular before animations can be done (an animator can obviously think about the kinds of animations they might want to make, but they realistically have to have a finished model to actually create the animations themselves). I suspect most VFX relates to actions taken by the champion and thus happen concurrently with or after principal animation work is done, although some of it could be done after modeling, and the same with sound: the sound designer probably has to have some idea of what the champion is "doing" before they design the specific sound effects associated with those actions or events.

I'm going to guess that kit probably comes first most of the time. I think that every champion has to "fit into" the game somewhere; it has to have a role or purpose, at least at the start. So kit comes first. Or rather, I think the thing that comes first is a pairing of character and kit: someone is thinking about all the different Marvel characters and looks for inspiration to make an interesting kit or foundation of a kit based on that character. So the characters we were voting on were probably all character + kit sketch combinations. Hercules, the skill based cosmic with momentum for example. From that kernel, I think everything else is built upon.
    Good thoughts. Makes me wonder when a champ releases we are about 6 months past their prime already, especially with Mcoc time 2 months in game feels like forever and we are always being introduced to a new character. Now, before I continue I’ll say that every champ doesn’t need to be above average , if that were the case we should play street fighter instead. When a champion like Ebony maw comes out or even a champ like immortal hulk, I wonder if it’s too late to change the champ design , or you have a backup implementation plan. I would really enjoy a day in life of Kabam Employees, maybe a studio tour of like Kabam mike and some other mods watching the forums , what their boiler room looks like, then a cut to Kabam John and broccoli trying to get their character released. I always have appreciated blogs and things like that. Would be nice so people can see how many things go into effect for one champ.
  • ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,142 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021
    I mean when I make one of my concepts for fun, it takes me 2 days.

Here are some:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XXUjsmxcoNnRBEPD1zIUQOIzd_fZwEC30fdqXmQ0Ay8/edit?usp=sharing (Firelord)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jImOf4q_hDtKjJ-RvqSTaKcLMsCJXPYGsodwB0De68s/edit?usp=sharing (Ultron Rework)

Though, a company like Kabam would probably put more time into their stuff.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,734 ★★★★★
    Normally, game developer's plan stuff at least 6 months in advance. Or at least that's the case for a couple of gacha games I used to play
    herm said:
    It’s nice to see the process 3-4 months is a long time to bring a champ to life. You can tell they are super passionate about what they put into each champ.

Here are some:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XXUjsmxcoNnRBEPD1zIUQOIzd_fZwEC30fdqXmQ0Ay8/edit?usp=sharing (Firelord)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jImOf4q_hDtKjJ-RvqSTaKcLMsCJXPYGsodwB0De68s/edit?usp=sharing (Ultron Rework)

Very good re works. I like the detail, I think it’s always tricky because something so trivial can change an entire champ.
  • ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,142 ★★★★★
    Texas_11 said:

Here are some:

Very good re works. I like the detail, I think it’s always tricky because something so trivial can change an entire champ.
    why thank you
  • hermherm Posts: 415 ★★

Here are some:

that's one sweet iceman synergy