**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How Niche is Falcon?

BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
Falcon is awesome, his is my favourite of the new buffs. Don’t get me wrong I love magneto, but his playstyle is heavy and repeat, not as fun for me as using full combos and blasting the opponent with whatever special suits the match up like falcon does. Not to mention his fun way of ramping up the damage with the permanent passive crit buffs. Falcon is FUN. I took him to r2 as a 6* duped the day of the buff and never looked back. I’m even considering r3 over my stealth Spidey dupe, even if he isn’t objectively better I’m having more fun with falcon!

I only wish he had a way to gain the crit damage passive outside of evade. Some ideas of what he needs have been tossed around and I disagree with the idea of when any ability fails gain a crit passive, as this would make him overpowered and not what kabam intended with him. Think about how many abilities can fail (domino cough cough), he would be gaining crit damage in every single fight which isn’t what he was designed for.

I like that he was intended as a niche utility counter (evade) that you bring in to tough content to support your main team when he’s necessary but I wish he wasn’t as niche as he currently is. So how niche is he?

There are 19 evade champions, out of 187 playable champions this is very niche. To put it into context, let’s consider two other widely considered niche champions are human torch and Sym supreme. Torch needing energy/mystic champs, Sym needing buffs.

There are 18 mystic champs, 11 other champions who deal energy damage on basic, 41 other champions who deal energy damage on specials (admittedly not always viable) plus a handful of regen champs for reversal. There are a whole lot of ways to build smoulder with torch or for a relatively niche champ to be useful. Even saying a quarter of the champs who use specials to build smoulder are viable, ones like cable, invisible woman, Aegon, apocalypse, captain marvel etc, that’s still 39 champions torch is viable for.

Sym supreme, needs a fairly consistent buff to be viable. If he can nullify one buff between cycles then he’s pretty damn good. There are 56 non-bleed Immune champs who consistently get buffs. Against all of them he can cycle special 3s and bleed them out. Again, a niche champ with a wide scope of use.

Not to mention for Sym there are a vast array of nodes that inflict buffs on defenders. A tough act 6 path with a 10% chance of fury per hit could be the difference between using Sym and someone else, a node like feats of power let’s him theoretically take down nearly every champ in the game. Nodes with regen let torch shine, nodes like clap back transforms torch into a world beater.

Falcon however, has can’t touch this, mesmerise or mix master, along with abyss and labyrinth nodes of course. These are fairly rare nodes, compared to those that offer buffs to champions. Other than that he is stuck to his 19 evade champs, and some, like the daredevils, don’t even trigger his crit damage since he doesn’t prevent them from evading. You have to throw an sp1 into his block to get any crit damage passive. Elsa bloodstone is another, you don’t even get her evade on block, so the only way to trigger passive crit would be a well timed block. Hard to force. Moonknight is only evading for a portion of the month. Not practical. That takes his niche ability even more niche. 15 champs or two nodes is barely enough.

So, how to get falcon a bit more in line with other niche champs. I would like to see him get crit damage when autoblock and/or miss fails to trigger. It’s in the same vein as other champions with true strike how evade and autoblock sometime are countered hand in hand. And I think it retains the balance of niche for falcon, while not limiting him to the handful of evade champs.

With 6 champions who autoblock, 8 who inflict falter or miss (one of whom is dark hawk, who autoblocks too, and others like ghost or silver surfer with a small window of miss), adding 12 more champions who falcon can gain critical damage from is not game breaking and it still retains his niche counter status.

The ratio of champions that Torch:Sym:Falcon counter is 39:56:15. If miss and autoblock gave falcon crit passive then it would take this ratio to 39:56:27. To me, not game breaking.

And I know what a few people might say, falcon still shuts down ability accuracy for champions like korg, or thing. And yes, I concede, it’s a fair point. Which is why I still like falcon and would consider ranking him up. I am making this post not because I don’t like falcon, or I won’t use him because of it, but because I think he would be a more well rounded champion because of it. Why take falcon against korg if you have omega? Why take falcon against dark hawk if you have quake or torch? Falcon just isn’t going to be used outside of evade champions, because he isn’t good *enough* for the other fights.

Not to mention that while Falcon is currently a champion who is very useful for evade, he’s not the best. Because of this, most people wouldn’t consider bringing him over ghost, Nick, or stealth Spidey . The only ways to make falcon be brought above them, is either to make him so insanely over powered against evade, which would be game breaking, or to widen his very balanced utility to include other abilities. I think blocking autoblock (excuse the pun) and miss is very much in line with what Kabam intended for him while making him more desirable and more balanced in the wider scope of the game.

TL:DR, falcon is a niche champ, he is too niche. He covers less than what other niche champs (like Sym supreme and torch) do. He should get more of a range for what he counters and benefits from.

Comments

• Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Man, I love this concept!
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Kill_Grey said:

Man, I love this concept!

Thanks mate, just wanna get some more love for Falcon! I love almost every part of his kit and design and I really enjoy playing him. I just wish, as an endgame player with a lot of better options, he’d have a more solid place on my team.
    Gmonkey said:

I like him adds specific utility to my roster unless I pull Stealth spidey he may be my next r3, for skill, saving all my other r3 rank ups till Dec 9. Note I Already got Fury at R3

With fury already at r3 I feel like you have the choice between stealth and falcon! Very jealous of that Nick! I agree, falcon does add specific utility and I like that he does that. I just feel he's not useful enough in the larger scope of the game
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,833 ★★★★★
    Going to revive this , it seems like the majority dont find him niche and nowadays even see him as top 3 skill. I was debating if i should r5 him or not since he only gets his big damage against evade champs (like OP mentioned) however shutting down evade in general is a very important utility to have. Even if it is niche, its still important to have. Same reason why people r5 Namor even though he almost never sees use
    Yeahhh I changed my mind since then. While falcons damage increase is niche, he brings so much more to the table than just damage. His utility is almost game wide, with a laundry list of tricky things he shuts down.
  • Prakhar_82Prakhar_82 Posts: 713 ★★★
    edited February 2021
    [Deleted] Didn't know it was 4 months old lol. Glad you changed your mind.
  • SecretWarri0rSecretWarri0r Posts: 230
    It’s not about how many champions he shuts down, it’s about how many nodes and node combinations and node/champ combinations he shuts down.
  • mbracembrace Posts: 827 ★★★
    He’s not that niche. He shuts down a lot of things besides evade and generally does good damage when awakened. Oddly, he handled Cavalier Psycho-Man quite well.
    mbrace said:

He’s not that niche. He shuts down a lot of things besides evade and generally does good damage when awakened. Oddly, he handled Cavalier Psycho-Man quite well.

Yeah totally agree, I took my 6* to rank 3 and I’ve come to see him much more as a utility champ, who just so happens to get a lot more damage against evade.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,833 ★★★★★

mbrace said:

Yeah totally agree, I took my 6* to rank 3 and I’ve come to see him much more as a utility champ, who just so happens to get a lot more damage against evade.
    Hows the damage against non evades?
    GagoH said:

mbrace said:

Hows the damage against non evades?
    Really, really nice. I use him in war all the time and he just destroys r3 Thing bosses like it’s nothing. Last time I fought him I came out with 89% health, did it in 2:30mins and 98 hits.

I was a bit boosted but was critting for nearly 9k on mediums and nearly 6k on lights. That’s not mind blowing damage, but it’s very respectable.

His main strength is utility of course, he just shuts down so much
  • MetalJakeMetalJake Posts: 343 ★★
    Falcon is GREAT. Sorry but not reading all that **** u wrote. That’s ALOT BRUH