**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Hood Changes - Discussion [Merged Threads]

Comments

• AgresssorAgresssor Posts: 251 ★★
    Why is the hood so special? so that everyone is on an equal footing, then why not return the ability to tank 3 specials + healblock to the magneto, to old man Logan a permanent passive regen? oh yes, probably because only few people invested their resources in them even before the buff ? looks like only 2-3 people ranked up magneto to tank some sp 3 before the buff but almost if not more than 500 people invested some resources into hood fateseal and now they are not happy, either return to everyone what you took away or leave everything as it is to everyone, otherwise it turns out that the majority wins the less, where is justice ?

Or maybe i need 10 pages to prove that the permanent passive regen is much better than the temporary regen buff that can be nullified or can be a problem againts some nodes ?
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    Agresssor said:

Why is the hood so special? so that everyone is on an equal footing, then why not return the ability to tank 3 specials + healblock to the magneto, to old man Logan a permanent passive regen? oh yes, probably because only few people invested their resources in them even before the buff ? looks like only 2-3 people ranked up magneto to tank some sp 3 before the buff but almost if not more than 500 people invested some resources into hood fateseal and now they are not happy, either return to everyone what you took away or leave everything as it is to everyone, otherwise it turns out that the majority wins the less, where is justice ?

Or maybe i need 10 pages to prove that the permanent passive regen is much better than the temporary regen buff that can be nullified or can be a problem againts some nodes ?

I think that particular author who wrote the 9 page article is very articulate, so when they complied all the information and put it on a document, that’s the argument that is used.

I’m not sure how many users are affected , versus how many people have no dog in this fight.
  • NigelthornberryNigelthornberry Posts: 458 ★★★
    Agresssor said:

Well magneto's core utility and use was being a magnet in game which he sucked at and he still got his dupe and 5% regen reversal which somewhat are a good replacement to his lost ability and other than that he got abilities that made him rival the top 10 champs in the game, oml's regen may have been nerfed but he still got a huge fury potency update, aar immunity, and critical bleed,.so overall the 2 champions mentioned above have more positive impacts on them than negative ones, hood on the other hand lost his original hex(fate seal and 66% aar) which was basically one of the most op abilities imo, the stagger timer became slower with no way of refreshing it, and for his positive impacts he got the hex bullets which are a trash diablolike presistent charges that doesn't outweigh the negative impact

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

Agresssor said:

Agresssor said:

With 5 sec staggers he can steal opponents health faster than old hood with 7.5 seconds, with new hood you can recover some block damage faster when staggers expires

If that’s a net positive then why not make it 0.1 seconds, and Hood will be a regen god.

Or maybe, it’s a net negative, and people would rather a good buff control champion, yknow, what Hood was designed for.
    Heh so why not make that staggers last 1 hour longer and he dont even need fateseal from sp 2 xD
    Still can’t deal with permanent buffs. Every good nullify champ has a way to deal with both permanent and temporary buffs. There is not a single good buff control champ who only has staggers
    Tigra has neutralize it’s a very effective form of buff control.
    Neutralize is not quite as good as fate seal, but much better than stagger. Fate seal prevents buffs and also removes them. Neutralize just prevents them. But unlike stagger, neutralize doesn't get removed when a buff is prevented. Neutralize can prevent an unlimited number of buffs from being activated so long as it is up. Stagger can only prevent a single instance of buffs being activated (it can prevent multiple buffs but only if they all activate simultaneously).

Unless you can apply them very fast, stagger can't in general deal effectively with things like Aggression nodes that apply buffs. Neutralize can. The only champs that can even begin to approach neutralize's effects with stagger are the champs that can stack stagger. Hood is not one of those champs.

Note also that Tigra inflicts Neutralize on every single attack. If Hood applied staggers on every single hit and they stacked, Hood would have similar buff control to Tigra (neutralize doesn't need to stack, because as mentioned it doesn't get removed when it prevents a buff, whereas stagger does).
    Very good points. We still don’t know how hood will turn out. Just curious, you always seem to follow the data and are as objective as it comes. What do you think Kabam is looking at that determined he needs a buff. If he was used as much as people are saying then they should be able to tell. If they are only looking at damage that’s a little different.
    I don't think people are saying he is being used a lot. I think people are saying that there are people who do use him, and for those people he is a valid option for the things they use him for.

I think most players have at least one or two champs that are either favorite champs they like to use even if they are not optimal, or champs that have very niche uses for them but those niches are important ones. For example, my use of Blade has gone down over time, whereas I used to use him all the time I now only use him rarely. But he is still my number one go-to champ for problematic Thing fights, because in my opinion nothing controls Thing fights better than Blade who can decrement Thing's counter pretty much at will. I'm sure lots of people would disagree with that assessment, but that's how I use him. I would hate to have that taken away just because I was in the minority.

It is almost certainly the case that the reason the devs are updating Hood is because they see either few players using him, or low fight performance when they see him being used. We saw from the data they released way back when they were ramping up champion updates that they focus on things like DPS as a proxy for how well champions are performing in fights. Hood's DPS is not high. So if you combine low usage with low DPS, the devs probably concluded that Hood is unpopular as a champ because he underperforms in damage output. Which is probably true.

In this situation, the devs had two options. They could have said "let's keep what makes him attractive to the minority of players that seem to like playing him, and let's add more damage mechanics to address his low DPS." This would act to expand the subset of players who used him. Or they could have said "let's make a new Hood that avoids the mistakes of the old Hood and replace him with the new one, so that more players pick him up." This would act to increase the number of players who used him without regard to who was using him now. The devs clearly chose the latter.

Looking at the changes they made, it is obvious that they could have done the former if they wanted to, if they felt it was even a tiny bit important to try to preserve the investment existing players made. The changes they made did not *mandate* changing the mechanics, and the overall performance of Hood could have been moderated by changing *anything* either the original abilities strengths or the new abilities strengths. The person who designed the update for Hood chose to protect their additions to Hood over protecting the pre-existing abilities of Hood.

There are lots of good reasons to take things away from the players. If it is game breaking, if it hurts the economy, if it creates balance problems, if it interferes with future development, if the game engine can't properly accommodate it, if it violates the original intent of the designers. But here, its being taken away to make room for something the champion doesn't need, the game doesn't need, and the players don't need. Hood needed something, but it didn't need more new at the expense of less original. That was a decision the designer made to protect their own contribution to Hood over the needs of the players playing Hood.
    Perfectly said
    In an ideal world , what would your changes be to the Hood? Obviously without revealing comprising information. Lets say if they add his new mechanic with low damage, would you be upset that they changed his gameplay and bullet system ? Would you be upset if his damage mechanic actually did little to put him where he was ?

The truth is Hood accomplishes some things very well, but what about players who have to rank up hood because their apart of a ghost synergy team? I understand you are affected the most and honestly it does suck and is unfortunate. What would your suggestion to the devs be ?
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

Agresssor said:

Agresssor said:

With 5 sec staggers he can steal opponents health faster than old hood with 7.5 seconds, with new hood you can recover some block damage faster when staggers expires

If that’s a net positive then why not make it 0.1 seconds, and Hood will be a regen god.

Or maybe, it’s a net negative, and people would rather a good buff control champion, yknow, what Hood was designed for.
    Heh so why not make that staggers last 1 hour longer and he dont even need fateseal from sp 2 xD
    Still can’t deal with permanent buffs. Every good nullify champ has a way to deal with both permanent and temporary buffs. There is not a single good buff control champ who only has staggers
    Neutralize is not quite as good as fate seal, but much better than stagger. Fate seal prevents buffs and also removes them. Neutralize just prevents them. But unlike stagger, neutralize doesn't get removed when a buff is prevented. Neutralize can prevent an unlimited number of buffs from being activated so long as it is up. Stagger can only prevent a single instance of buffs being activated (it can prevent multiple buffs but only if they all activate simultaneously).

Unless you can apply them very fast, stagger can't in general deal effectively with things like Aggression nodes that apply buffs. Neutralize can. The only champs that can even begin to approach neutralize's effects with stagger are the champs that can stack stagger. Hood is not one of those champs.

Note also that Tigra inflicts Neutralize on every single attack. If Hood applied staggers on every single hit and they stacked, Hood would have similar buff control to Tigra (neutralize doesn't need to stack, because as mentioned it doesn't get removed when it prevents a buff, whereas stagger does).
    Very good points. We still don’t know how hood will turn out. Just curious, you always seem to follow the data and are as objective as it comes. What do you think Kabam is looking at that determined he needs a buff. If he was used as much as people are saying then they should be able to tell. If they are only looking at damage that’s a little different.
    I don't think people are saying he is being used a lot. I think people are saying that there are people who do use him, and for those people he is a valid option for the things they use him for.

I think most players have at least one or two champs that are either favorite champs they like to use even if they are not optimal, or champs that have very niche uses for them but those niches are important ones. For example, my use of Blade has gone down over time, whereas I used to use him all the time I now only use him rarely. But he is still my number one go-to champ for problematic Thing fights, because in my opinion nothing controls Thing fights better than Blade who can decrement Thing's counter pretty much at will. I'm sure lots of people would disagree with that assessment, but that's how I use him. I would hate to have that taken away just because I was in the minority.

It is almost certainly the case that the reason the devs are updating Hood is because they see either few players using him, or low fight performance when they see him being used. We saw from the data they released way back when they were ramping up champion updates that they focus on things like DPS as a proxy for how well champions are performing in fights. Hood's DPS is not high. So if you combine low usage with low DPS, the devs probably concluded that Hood is unpopular as a champ because he underperforms in damage output. Which is probably true.

In this situation, the devs had two options. They could have said "let's keep what makes him attractive to the minority of players that seem to like playing him, and let's add more damage mechanics to address his low DPS." This would act to expand the subset of players who used him. Or they could have said "let's make a new Hood that avoids the mistakes of the old Hood and replace him with the new one, so that more players pick him up." This would act to increase the number of players who used him without regard to who was using him now. The devs clearly chose the latter.

Looking at the changes they made, it is obvious that they could have done the former if they wanted to, if they felt it was even a tiny bit important to try to preserve the investment existing players made. The changes they made did not *mandate* changing the mechanics, and the overall performance of Hood could have been moderated by changing *anything* either the original abilities strengths or the new abilities strengths. The person who designed the update for Hood chose to protect their additions to Hood over protecting the pre-existing abilities of Hood.

There are lots of good reasons to take things away from the players. If it is game breaking, if it hurts the economy, if it creates balance problems, if it interferes with future development, if the game engine can't properly accommodate it, if it violates the original intent of the designers. But here, its being taken away to make room for something the champion doesn't need, the game doesn't need, and the players don't need. Hood needed something, but it didn't need more new at the expense of less original. That was a decision the designer made to protect their own contribution to Hood over the needs of the players playing Hood.
    Perfectly said
    In an ideal world , what would your changes be to the Hood? Obviously without revealing comprising information. Lets say if they add his new mechanic with low damage, would you be upset that they changed his gameplay and bullet system ? Would you be upset if his damage mechanic actually did little to put him where he was ?

The truth is Hood accomplishes some things very well, but what about players who have to rank up hood because their apart of a ghost synergy team? I understand you are affected the most and honestly it does suck and is unfortunate. What would your suggestion to the devs be ?
    If you're interested @Texas_11, you can check my buff suggestion: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/252619/the-buff-that-the-hood-deserves
  • TheInfintyTheInfinty Posts: 1,382 ★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

Agresssor said:

Agresssor said:

1.) But is that not the case with all the reworks? Civil warrior lost his ability accuracy and massacre can’t apply disorient as much as he use to. I don’t hear any complaints. What if Khamala khan loses her stagger(!Swedeah) how many threads are we going to have like this ? She needs a buff, so did hood

2.) I can see your point on blade , I still use my old man Logan and it was always nice to not get my buffs nullified, but he is a better champ.

3.) So if he has low damage and low usage , why would the devs not have him on their radar? Angela we saw stats a while back , she had her signature ability changed to why is their no uproar on this? If they look at if from a data standpoint, it makes the most sense we also saw this when cull was hitting way too hard, low tier players were blowing through content so they had to adjust. We saw this with sentry, we saw this with DDHK.

4.) Yes they chose the option to increase his appeal, but this is going to affect some users and you understand this, most of the buffs have gotten the approval 29 buffs most champs are better than they were before.

5.) Yes they had to change his mechanics because he really didn’t have a mechanic or a way to increase his damage. No it wasn’t mandated to do that, but it was done to make him more rewarding to play. They said his stagger and fate seal would have made him the most powerful mystic in the game that’s not their intention it’s only to Bring his damage to respectable levels.

The person who designed hood protected their original idea probably because the fate seal and stagger to ether were one in the same , it’s an easy oversight and yes they need an explanation. But hood damage will be better and he will still be able to prevent buffs and be effective on a ghost team now.

Last but not least, he needed the damage mechanic, he needed a way to be more than just a fate seal champ. In order to give him that damage , they modified his utility, we don’t know how this effect anyone , but I personally think it was great for the game , because what about the person who just pulled hood as their first 6* ? What about the person who keeps hood around for ghost synergy? what about the people who enjoy hood , but can’t bring him to war because they are afraid of timing out? More people will benefit from the buff than those who are hurt by it , it’s unfortunate, but every time a buff happens we can’t always raise the pitch forks.
  • AgresssorAgresssor Posts: 251 ★★

Agresssor said:

If either of those champs were even semi regularly used for anything significant, I'm sure you'd have seen just as much backlash. They weren't though.
    I'm 100% sure that if I now create a topic about magneto and old man logano with 9 pages of explanations, they won't support me like here with 500 messages, maybe just 5-10 people who ranked them before the buff.

if a lot of people hadn't ranked the hood to 5 and 3 ranks for some reason even before the buff, there wouldn't be so many posts in this thread today, it turns out that everyone thinks about their own skin, the majority wins the minority

here the logic is, someone will be happy when he finds out that they are buffing the average character since he has it in the 6 * version
    and someone else who does not have 6 * of the average character who is buffing, will tell why him? he is already an average character, why not the weaker character like groot , and especially since I have him 6 *?
    But they wouldn't say that if they had 6 * of the average character who getting a buff and despite the fact that he is already an average not the weakest

• NigelthornberryNigelthornberry Posts: 458 ★★★
    edited March 2021
    Poop
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,045 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Aleor said:

DNA3000 said:

As for the stagger chance being increased from 88% to 100%, remember that this is only on critical hits and the staggers do not stack. Along with that, their timer has been decreased from 7.5 seconds to 5 seconds and you can no longer refresh off heavy, making them less reliable for buff control.

Most of the time my math is at best light calculation. This time, it is actually for-real math. Fair warning.

One way to judge the staggers is to ask what are the odds of refreshing them before they expire. This depends on the odds of landing a stagger per attack and the duration of the stagger. You have until the duration expires to land another one. Let's call the amount of attacks you can launch during Hood2.0's stagger duration (5s) X. As an approximate estimate, we can say that if you can fire off X attacks in 5 seconds, you can probably fire off about 1.5X attacks in 7.5s, the duration of Hood1.0's staggers.

If the chance to trigger a stagger is S, then the odds of not triggering a stagger after K attacks is (1-S)^K. We know the odds of Hood1.0 triggering a stagger is 88% when landing a crit, and the base crit chance of Hood1.0 is 23%. So we get the chance to trigger stagger as 0.23 * 0.88 = 0.2024.

For Hood2.0 to have the same chance to refresh stagger before it expires, we need (1-0.2024) ^ (1.5X) = (1-H) ^ X where H is Hood2.0's critical chance. If H is less than 0.23, then Hood2.0 has better uptime for his staggers, and if H is greater than 0.23 then Hood2.0 has worse uptime for his staggers, and we also know how much higher his crit rate would have to be to match Hood1.0's stagger uptime. Solving we get 1.5X ln(0.7976) = X ln(1-H). We can divide out X (which means this relationship doesn't depend on how fast the player attacks and is instead an intrinsic relationship between the two ability's designs) and get 1.5 ln(0.7976) = ln(1-H). (1-H) = 0.7123; H = 0.2877.

Therefore, Hood2.0's stagger will be harder to maintain with the higher trigger rate and lower duration. If the trigger rate (i.e. critical rate) was increased to 0.2877 (28.77%), then Hood2.0's stagger uptime would equal Hood1.0's stagger uptime. That doesn't mean they would be identical in effect, it just means Hood2.0 would catch up to Hood1.0 in this one specific property.
    Also his power steal is a lot worse imo, as it triggered only on mediums. It will make him most likely less aggressive play - friendly. You would also want to consider his increased crit rate when invisible to get a more accurate model
    Does Hood have higher crit rate when Invisible? I thought Invisibility increased critical damage rating.
    That's true, my bad
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    Here's a question. If it wasn't for The Champion in 6.2, would people be as bothered?
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Here's a question. If it wasn't for The Champion in 6.2, would people be as bothered?

Yep
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★

Yes, because there are other fights that have Buffs besides just this one
    Fair enough. I just wasn't even aware of the fact that as many people used him as there are speaking up. For all intents and purposes, I was under the impression he was just there.
    For Namor, people received an email with rank down variations for each clsss (4*-6* for one rank down at each level) that was only good for Namor. And those tickets expired after 1 week.

So people can try the new version and if they like him, they do nothing. And if people do not like him, they can rank him down.

Just a one week grace period is all that’s needed , I’m curious to see who would actually rank him down, excluding those who took him to R2 , but realized they can get some resources back.
  • KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,202 ★★★★

Yes, because there are other fights that have Buffs besides just this one
    Fair enough. I just wasn't even aware of the fact that as many people used him as there are speaking up. For all intents and purposes, I was under the impression he was just there.
    On my main account, I never ranked him up. Bcuz I have every other mystic.
    On my alt, he was my first 5/65... and to this day is still my best mystic.