**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Hood Changes - Discussion [Merged Threads]

Comments

• Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    Grim7787 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

He is not the same champ, that is the entire point of a rebalance. What I just don’t understand is how you think a minor tweak would have helped hood? You could give him 50% attack all around and he still would have been a champ that can’t trigger a single rage node.

He needed a new damage mechanic. Simply ramping up nothing just would not work. Bleed ? Shock? That’s about all he has. You could see people doing videos with him and he was still not able to do anything.

It’s just weird how all of a sudden, his fate seal was a game changer for so many people. They say it was so I can only assume that, but I’m curious about what the data says.

Texas_11 said:

I’m not trying to pick an argument. All I’m saying is, I think people have been overestimating how effective hoods fate seal has been for them, this is clearly shown when people are fighting her champion boss.

1. No one is arguing against new damage mechanics per se. But damage is ultimately about numbers, and any damage you can add to a champ with new mechanics I can add with changes to damage numbers. That's simple math. If all you care about is damage output, you can increase attack values, you can increase critical rating or critical damage rating or critical damage rating boosts, or even the scale damage values of things like special attacks (basic attacks generally obey a formula that's the same for every champ). Hood's specials don't deal a lot of damage. A number tweak would change that. Numbers tweaks would also improve the damage of Hexes without special mechanics arbitrarily high. The new mechanics are about adding the higher damage in a unique way to the champion, not about it being impossible to add damage with numbers changes.

2. More importantly, it isn't just some players who value fate seal highly: the devs said they *had* to remove fate seal because otherwise Hood would have been too powerful. You cannot simultaneously argue that the devs can think it is so powerful it had to be removed, but the players have to think it was too weak to be worth fighting over. Anything the devs remove for balance reasons is by definition very valuable.

If you're correct that fate seal shouldn't be a big deal to the players, you are making the argument that the devs should have never removed it, because if fate seal is not a big deal and players shouldn't get upset over its removal, by definition the devs were wrong to remove it because they had no exigent reason to do so.
    The only thing they can do is forecast. At this point , I wouldn’t mind if they had Hood(Classic) and a Hood( Imbued) and just call it. But from Kabams standpoint it is much better to tune with caution , because once they have to nerf something it gets a lot worse than this.
    That's true in general, but it is still the case they cannot have it both ways. They cannot forecast that Fate Seal is problematically too strong, and also forecast that Fate Seal is not strong enough for the players to justifiably complain about. Being cautious implies considering the worst case scenario and if the worst case scenario is that Fate Seal would have been too powerful to keep, the worst case scenario is also that the existing players would believe Fate Seal is too important to jettison, and they should have presumed the reaction they got.

Which would be fine if it was necessary. But as I said, it wasn't necessary. If Hood is too powerful with his existing kit plus the new kit additions, then reducing the strength of *either* would be sufficient to bring him back in line. The devs didn't want to give up their cool additions, but that's not a necessary imperative.
    They cannot have it both ways, you are right about that. On paper they probably felt there was a redundancy in fate seal and stagger, which would cover his ability to deal with incoming buffs. They probably forecasted that Fate seal = Nullify+ Stagger= MD nightmare = Constantly invisible = New broken mechanic= Nerf.

They also didn’t intend for him to be a Stagger/ Nullify beast and that probably would have catapulted him to the top over doom, with his power steal and can miss indefinitely etc. I think the easy fix is to give him a Claire Voyant buff immunity so he doesn’t have this interaction with MD. He would still be able to strip buffs , apply staggers , but wouldn’t nullify anything that the immunity stopped. I do think Fate Seal is a useful mechanic for when it’s applied. But I do think it makes him overall to powerful. If the chief complaint is just buff removal I think that works even if it’s for a second or two.

I don’t think his new kit needs to be toned down, I think it’s good and the devs did a great job. I’m curious to see what they come up with.

It is indeed quite a good kit. I won't argue that...

The point is, Hood didn't need it!

They could have created some other gun toting new champ and thrown that kit on him and he'd be pretty sick, lol.
    See, I think that’s where we disagree. Everyone has agreed more or less that hood needed a tune up and probably would have been happy with the changes if the fate seal wasn’t removed. There are other champions they could have focused on, but

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

He is not the same champ, that is the entire point of a rebalance. What I just don’t understand is how you think a minor tweak would have helped hood? You could give him 50% attack all around and he still would have been a champ that can’t trigger a single rage node.

He needed a new damage mechanic. Simply ramping up nothing just would not work. Bleed ? Shock? That’s about all he has. You could see people doing videos with him and he was still not able to do anything.

It’s just weird how all of a sudden, his fate seal was a game changer for so many people. They say it was so I can only assume that, but I’m curious about what the data says.

Texas_11 said:

I’m not trying to pick an argument. All I’m saying is, I think people have been overestimating how effective hoods fate seal has been for them, this is clearly shown when people are fighting her champion boss.

1. No one is arguing against new damage mechanics per se. But damage is ultimately about numbers, and any damage you can add to a champ with new mechanics I can add with changes to damage numbers. That's simple math. If all you care about is damage output, you can increase attack values, you can increase critical rating or critical damage rating or critical damage rating boosts, or even the scale damage values of things like special attacks (basic attacks generally obey a formula that's the same for every champ). Hood's specials don't deal a lot of damage. A number tweak would change that. Numbers tweaks would also improve the damage of Hexes without special mechanics arbitrarily high. The new mechanics are about adding the higher damage in a unique way to the champion, not about it being impossible to add damage with numbers changes.

2. More importantly, it isn't just some players who value fate seal highly: the devs said they *had* to remove fate seal because otherwise Hood would have been too powerful. You cannot simultaneously argue that the devs can think it is so powerful it had to be removed, but the players have to think it was too weak to be worth fighting over. Anything the devs remove for balance reasons is by definition very valuable.

If you're correct that fate seal shouldn't be a big deal to the players, you are making the argument that the devs should have never removed it, because if fate seal is not a big deal and players shouldn't get upset over its removal, by definition the devs were wrong to remove it because they had no exigent reason to do so.
    The only thing they can do is forecast. At this point , I wouldn’t mind if they had Hood(Classic) and a Hood( Imbued) and just call it. But from Kabams standpoint it is much better to tune with caution , because once they have to nerf something it gets a lot worse than this.
    That's true in general, but it is still the case they cannot have it both ways. They cannot forecast that Fate Seal is problematically too strong, and also forecast that Fate Seal is not strong enough for the players to justifiably complain about. Being cautious implies considering the worst case scenario and if the worst case scenario is that Fate Seal would have been too powerful to keep, the worst case scenario is also that the existing players would believe Fate Seal is too important to jettison, and they should have presumed the reaction they got.

Which would be fine if it was necessary. But as I said, it wasn't necessary. If Hood is too powerful with his existing kit plus the new kit additions, then reducing the strength of *either* would be sufficient to bring him back in line. The devs didn't want to give up their cool additions, but that's not a necessary imperative.
    They cannot have it both ways, you are right about that. On paper they probably felt there was a redundancy in fate seal and stagger, which would cover his ability to deal with incoming buffs. They probably forecasted that Fate seal = Nullify+ Stagger= MD nightmare = Constantly invisible = New broken mechanic= Nerf.

They also didn’t intend for him to be a Stagger/ Nullify beast and that probably would have catapulted him to the top over doom, with his power steal and can miss indefinitely etc. I think the easy fix is to give him a Claire Voyant buff immunity so he doesn’t have this interaction with MD. He would still be able to strip buffs , apply staggers , but wouldn’t nullify anything that the immunity stopped. I do think Fate Seal is a useful mechanic for when it’s applied. But I do think it makes him overall to powerful. If the chief complaint is just buff removal I think that works even if it’s for a second or two.

I don’t think his new kit needs to be toned down, I think it’s good and the devs did a great job. I’m curious to see what they come up with.

But even befor that he could sp2 spam with MD. Plus it can only be done twice in a row because they fate seal will prevent future buffs anyways for a short while and it's not like they buffed the sp2 damage or anything. If Kabam wanted to tune him down, they should have done so with the new abilities, not his old. Give him a cap on power gain or something. Actually implement invisibility properly with cooldown. What loosing fate seal is to Hood is loosing the debuff shrug-off for Elsa.

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

Texas_11 said:

If he would have been more powerful than doom then they should have toned down his new kit, not his old one.
    I think it’s pretty clear the stance I have on this.

Just so it doesn’t become any more redundant let’s just see where Kabam leaves this.
  • Grim7787Grim7787 Posts: 73
    Texas_11 said:

Grim7787 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

Texas_11 said:

It is indeed quite a good kit. I won't argue that...

The point is, Hood didn't need it!

They could have created some other gun toting new champ and thrown that kit on him and he'd be pretty sick, lol.
    See, I think that’s where we disagree. Everyone has agreed more or less that hood needed a tune up and probably would have been happy with the changes if the fate seal wasn’t removed. There are other champions they could have focused on, but

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

Texas_11 said:

But even befor that he could sp2 spam with MD. Plus it can only be done twice in a row because they fate seal will prevent future buffs anyways for a short while and it's not like they buffed the sp2 damage or anything. If Kabam wanted to tune him down, they should have done so with the new abilities, not his old. Give him a cap on power gain or something. Actually implement invisibility properly with cooldown. What loosing fate seal is to Hood is loosing the debuff shrug-off for Elsa.

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

DNA3000 said:

Texas_11 said:

Texas_11 said:

If he would have been more powerful than doom then they should have toned down his new kit, not his old one.
    I think it’s pretty clear the stance I have on this.

Just so it doesn’t become any more redundant let’s just see where Kabam leaves this.
    I was just agreeing that they did a good job with the kit...

I’ve already posted that he needed dmg, and a couple different ways of doing so. He didn’t need said whole new kit, lol
  • Pancake_FacePancake_Face Posts: 1,390 ★★★★
    HI_guys said:

Can people stop saying they only fix things that benefit Players? You do realize they design the entire game right? That's the epitome of benefitting Players in that example. They're not picking and choosing bugs to fix. It just so happens that people consider anything imbalanced or game breaking as a benefit.

Nothing about Hoods regen was game breaking.
    It was overly-powerful. That much was clear enough for people to question it enough to come to the Forum and ask.
    Not really, it was the only thing saving the update. Without it Hood has no redeeming qualities now. Both sides now hate the changes.
    There's a difference between game balance and popularity. Asking 100 people what they WANT to see, at least 90 are going to say more.
    Nothing about Hoods regen affected game balance though. The game wouldn’t have been wrecked to keep it exactly the same. I’m confident 25 champions at least have way more impact on the contest than his regen. Wolverine needs his regen nerfed into the ground then. With apocalypse he easily outdamages A fixed Hood who can’t generate bullets on call. The next fix.
    You think the goal of these revisions is to make them all God Tier?
    Where did I say even a pre-fix Hood was a God?
    I'm displaying a point. Everyone seems to be the foremost expert on what's too powerful and what isn't, but people don't look past the layers of one Ability, much less the whole kit, or even the entire game. It was more than the intended goal for him. The idea with these is to bring the lower somewhere closer to the middle. At least from what I've seen. Not to make older Champs the next best thing. As much as people hold out hope that older Champs will become that much greater, no company is going to reasonably buff the older material to be as appealing as the new additions. That would be counterproductive.
    Sometimes I question your ability to read because literally everyone in this discussion except for you and @Texas_11 is in agreement that the Hood did not need a new kit. His old kit was jampacked with utility, he did not need an overhaul of his abilities to "bring the lower somewhere closer to the middle".

I promise you, most of us have looked through his kit and it's undeniable that the removal of fate seal, among other changes (reduced stagger duration, can't refresh staggers shocks fate seal on heavy, different invisibility mechanic, etc.), make him a completely different champion. If this update was given to a champion like Diablo, great. We would have all rejoiced that a terrible champion got an overhaul to his old, bad kit. The Hood did not have an old, bad kit however, as he clearly had his high level uses in this game with his impressive fate seal and buff control.

I would ask you the question of "How would you feel if your favorite champion, who was completely usable, had a whole redesign out of the blue?", but then again, it seems you never care to sympathize with others, so why would you care?
    Would I like it? No. Would I get over it? Sure.
    You still haven't gotten over war matchmaking

And there's nothing wrong in that either.
    eh idk about that. My friends alliance got paired with their feeder alliance and destroyed them
  • LorddrewLorddrew Posts: 297 ★★
    Bookmarked this thread to wait for 48h to see what they are going to do.
  • Morpheus_123Morpheus_123 Posts: 792 ★★★
    I'm quite, or actually very, surprised by the number comments and input on a Hood topic.
    I didn't realise he was utilised by anyone, certainly not to the extent for so many people to care about the changes.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021

I'm quite, or actually very, surprised by the number comments and input on a Hood topic.
    I didn't realise he was utilised by anyone, certainly not to the extent for so many people to care about the changes.

Well I believe it has less to do with Hood and more to do with the method of removing something that people have come to depend on him for, in place of a rework. I'm with you. Mine never gets touched. However, apparently those who use him, use him mainly for that Ability. There's also a concern of a precedence. That's the argument in a nutshell. I'm curious myself how they came to that decision.
    The rest I don't agree with. Giving him the Fate Seal AND the Damage AND the unintended Regen is just too extra.
  • Scopeotoe987Scopeotoe987 Posts: 1,548 ★★★★★
    They need to add something like the previous regen back to hood and add a fate seal to the sp2 + refresh on heavy.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    HI_guys said:

BeroMan said:

During the Hood's "buff", Kabam decided to remove one of the core (signature) ability from the champion. I personally was okay with it because of the increased damage, 100% miss mechanic and sustainability with suicides. All of that overshadowed the nerfing aspect for me... But now You gonna nerf his regen? That's was one of the main thing why he was so exiting after the update, especially after losing one of his main ability...I just tested him against Abyss Medusa and his nullifying abilities no longer can handle her. She autoblocks him almost all the time and build-ups her furies very often. But still, because of damage and suicides compatibility, I still was happy about changes.. Now it's getting a mess.

@Worknprogress this what you were talking about right?
    Which part? The crying about the regen fix or his buff management being awful now? Bc it's yes to both pretty much.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★

There's a way you can hit hood even while he's invisible. So does that mean Rogue can steal his invisibility buff and become invisible herself!?!?

She can steal it, but I don't think it will work for her. Kind of like ice armor from iceman, you can steal the buff, but it does not mean your damage is capped at 5%.
  • X_ScottX_Scott Posts: 732 ★★★
    Hood is really good against The Champion fight, it would be terrible to weaken the ability that makes him so valuable in that fight
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

BeroMan said:

During the Hood's "buff", Kabam decided to remove one of the core (signature) ability from the champion. I personally was okay with it because of the increased damage, 100% miss mechanic and sustainability with suicides. All of that overshadowed the nerfing aspect for me... But now You gonna nerf his regen? That's was one of the main thing why he was so exiting after the update, especially after losing one of his main ability...I just tested him against Abyss Medusa and his nullifying abilities no longer can handle her. She autoblocks him almost all the time and build-ups her furies very often. But still, because of damage and suicides compatibility, I still was happy about changes.. Now it's getting a mess.

@Worknprogress this what you were talking about right?
    Which part? The crying about the regen fix or his buff management being awful now? Bc it's yes to both pretty much.
    Yeah." I'm willing to overlook the nerf to fate seal becuase damage but pls don't nerf regen"
    Ah, yes. Irks me pretty badly
  • E_Rich423E_Rich423 Posts: 121 ★★
    Not gonna lie, I would rather have the nice regen vs the fate seal. What are the chances we can get a do over?
  • JerkobsonJerkobson Posts: 163 ★★
    I actually like the hood changes. I completely agree he lost what made him Hood before, but since I hated his kit before I like what he’s got going on now.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

Are we really going to have to wait around for weeks before they make a decision, this kind of stuff just creates a toxic environment within the community.

I suspect that will not be the case here.