**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Device Incompatibility

Comments

• LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    Destr0yer said:

My thought is that Kabam has no clue about device compatibility. Ideally, the app should work with earlier versions of OS. And it works until an exception occurs. Newer OS handle such exceptions but the older ones crash the app. I doubt Kabam has tested all possible exceptions across OS line up or even intends to do it. It's much less expensive to have users test it for them and report their results.

Then why can someone with OS 9 play yet another person with OS 10 cannot, but then there's another OS 10 Player that can?
    We're talking about 5 Separate OS' with the One Newest being the only one to have never been reported, yet, they don't have to test Everything but they would've tested a couple Devices and situations then relayed that info to us like they always did in the past.
    With the way they've made 0 Comment on it before or after, the way the App isn't available on only Certain Devices across each OS, and it being 5 OS' which would make up a Huge Majority of the Android Players, I'm thinking this might be an Issue on the Google Play Store's end where they are either Reading a Requirement Incorrectly or someone at Kabam accidentally put an Incorrect Requirement in the list so GP automatically removes it from Devices without this one specific Incorrect thing.
    Meaning either Kabam genuinely doesn't know yet, or they do but are currently having to go through a whole process with GP just to get the Incorrect Input corrected and simply don't want to say anything till they have something concrete (like they have in the past, even if the community can't stand it).

Destr0yer said:

My thought is that Kabam has no clue about device compatibility. Ideally, the app should work with earlier versions of OS. And it works until an exception occurs. Newer OS handle such exceptions but the older ones crash the app. I doubt Kabam has tested all possible exceptions across OS line up or even intends to do it. It's much less expensive to have users test it for them and report their results.

Then why can someone with OS 9 play yet another person with OS 10 cannot, but then there's another OS 10 Player that can?
    We're talking about 5 Separate OS' with the One Newest being the only one to have never been reported, yet, they don't have to test Everything but they would've tested a couple Devices and situations then relayed that info to us like they always did in the past.
    With the way they've made 0 Comment on it before or after, the way the App isn't available on only Certain Devices across each OS, and it being 5 OS' which would make up a Huge Majority of the Android Players, I'm thinking this might be an Issue on the Google Play Store's end where they are either Reading a Requirement Incorrectly or someone at Kabam accidentally put an Incorrect Requirement in the list so GP automatically removes it from Devices without this one specific Incorrect thing.
    Meaning either Kabam genuinely doesn't know yet, or they do but are currently having to go through a whole process with GP just to get the Incorrect Input corrected and simply don't want to say anything till they have something concrete (like they have in the past, even if the community can't stand it).
    Meant to specify...
    I don't think it's the OS itself that's the issue, due to the obvious swiss cheese of Compatible and Incompatible Devices on the same OS accross 5 out of the 6 Originally Compatible OS'.
    It has to be some Side Requirement, whether that change by Kabam/Google Play was Unknown, Intentional, or Unintentional remains to be seen.
    Knordy said:

Hey, what are the new packages and permissions added? @Knordy

Nothing of real interest:
    android.permission.FOREGROUND_SERVICE
    android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

com.google.android.play.core.assetpacks.AssetPackExtractionService
    com.google.android.play.core.common.PlayCoreDialogWrapperActivity
    com.google.android.play.core.missingsplits.PlayCoreMissingSplitsActivity

Not something that would break the compatibility for the mentioned devices, I'm guessing.
    Destr0yer said:

Hmm, I think they have very capable developers as they can create, develop and maintain this game. They are also running this game for 6 years now, so they should have learned a lot about compatibility. Crashing a game because of an exception is thrown is something they should either fix the reason for the exception, or if it's in a different library handle the exception gracefully. Every software has it's bugs and unfortunately we cannot review the quality of their code (I wish I could, though). And sometimes with a new release there are certain bugs that let me think: did they test this before releasing it? But again, I cannot review their code and the developers must have a new release every month (seems to me a lot of pressure).

What 'bugs' me is that the communication from Kabam about this very limited. If it's a bug, say you are investigating it and try to fix this as soon as possible. If this an (un)intentional change in de Google Play Console, for example they've excluded specific devices, just communicate this to the players. All is better than being silent about it.
    As shown in the past though, Kabam does not like to mention anything on any Big Issue till they have some larger development in the case or it's almost complete...
    There has been VERY FEW Exceptions to this, and those exceptions were when the Community was going into a Frenzy for any sign that Kabam was working on it.
    We hate it but that's the way they always do it, problem is this is such a nebulous issue that it's hard to tell if it's on Kabam's Radar or not. Normally if it's a Bug like "Oh this Champion has an Ability that just won't activate no matter what" obviously that's something very much tied to the Game Itself and is such a contained thing that it'll definitely be looked at, but this one is across Many Seemingly Random Devices and could have something to do with Google Play.
  • spidyjedi84spidyjedi84 Posts: 260 ★★
    Five days of this no longer working on my device and absolute crickets in merging seven disparate threads and treating this lke an issue that needs to be resolved have finally broken me. I've uninstalled the game from my phone since it no longer works. Good luck to those still playing and hope Kabam gets their act together in the future.

Five days of this no longer working on my device and absolute crickets in merging seven disparate threads and treating this lke an issue that needs to be resolved have finally broken me. I've uninstalled the game from my phone since it no longer works. Good luck to those still playing and hope Kabam gets their act together in the future.

Wait did they merge any Threads?
    The Compatibility Support Page still isn't Updated... 😒
  • CaramesCarames Posts: 284 ★★
    Any news on this yet?
    I just noticed something, on the Device Requirements for Kabam's Disney version of Mcoc it has 2GB of Ram as a Minimum Requirement...

Could that have been the Change in Requirements for Mcoc?
    Cause there's Devices in All OS' with Different Ram, for example my Phone (OS 7) has 1GB Ram and my Tablet (OS 8) has 1.5GB Ram.
    There's OS 10 (and OS 11 for that matter) Devices with anywhere from 1-12GB Ram, that could explain how some Devices in OS 6/7/8/9/10 don't work but others do.

Though if this is the case, then why wouldn't have Kabam said something at this point or updated the Damm Support Info instead of letting us make such a big deal about it?
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,659 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021

I just noticed something, on the Device Requirements for Kabam's Disney version of Mcoc it has 2GB of Ram as a Minimum Requirement...

In this post, the amount of ram required was discussed, but not the source info though.
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/128920/ram-requirement-for-this-game

Edit:
    This is interesting.

This link states 22 Jan 2021 (no info on min. ram required)
    https://help.kabamsupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052392992-Device-Compatibility

This link states 17 Sep 2020 (2GM ram min)
    https://help.kabamsupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051239812-Device-Compatibility

Why have 2 different pages of techical information device compatibility?
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,421 Guardian
    edited March 2021

In this post, the amount of ram required was discussed, but not the source info though.
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/128920/ram-requirement-for-this-game

Edit:
    This is interesting.

https://help.kabamsupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052392992-Device-Compatibility

https://help.kabamsupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051239812-Device-Compatibility

The last 2 links you copied are from the different games. 1st link is this MCOC Specs, but the 2nd link, specifying 2GB Ram, is for the Disney Mirrorverse (as Liberty mentioned just prior).

And FYI, MROC (Realm) also has an even higher level of Device Compat specs from both MCOC and Mirrorverse as well. They each have their own separate set of support pages that are branched off from the main KabamSupport site.
  • spidyjedi84spidyjedi84 Posts: 260 ★★
    I think you finally figured it out, Liberty. My phone (Galaxy Sky) has 1.5 GB RAM and 6.0 Android. I'd have been at the low end that could run things in January without the RAM requirements. I was noticing issues before if I played for more than an hour where I'd have to reboot the app that would be explained by RAM issues. If they increased to 2.0 GB RAM requirements at a minimum, that could impact numerous devices unexpectedly that were limping just fine on the Android OS requirements.

SAMSUNG Tab A, depending on the build, would be at that 2GB Ram minimum but possibly only on Android 5.0. Tab E has 1.5 GB Ram, J3 has 1.5 to 2GB RAM (depending what model), J7 has 1.5 GB RAM, J3 Luna Pro has 1.5 GB RAM, J2 Core has 1 GB RAM.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,421 Guardian
    edited March 2021
    Thx @spidyjedi84 , I’m just re-copying the list I gathered from earlier, to see directly what all were matched with the RAM specs you found right above.

Samsung: Galaxy Tab A (2019 and 2020), Galaxy Tab E, J3 V, J7, Galaxy Sky (S320VL), J3 Luna Pro, J2 Core.
    LG: K10, K8.
    RCA: 10 Viking Pro
    Nokia: 1 (Android 10 Go)

Yep, you hit on all the Samsung ones from list that people had said over the month that they were no longer compatible.

Edit:
    This is interesting.

The last 2 links you copied are from the different games. 1st link is this MCOC Specs, but the 2nd link, specifying 2GB Ram, is for the Disney Mirrorverse (as Liberty mentioned just prior).

And FYI, MROC (Realm) also has an even higher level of Device Compat specs from both MCOC and Mirrorverse as well. They each have their own separate set of support pages that are branched off from the main KabamSupport site.
    Interesting you mentioned Mroc, it actually has a Minimum Requirement And Recommend Ram...

Tftf actually is in the same boat as Mcoc with no Official Requirement Listed yet
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
    would be much better if kabam could create their own phone that is something like ''MCOC phone''. i'm sure the economy allows for that option.
  • KnordyKnordy Posts: 186 ★★
    edited March 2021
    I'm not quite sure the Ram could be an issue. According to several sites the Ram requirement was already set to 2GB

Probably from an old post:

Recommended Requirements:
    CPU: Snapdragon 429 Quad Core 1.8 GHz or equivalent
    GPU: Adreno 504 or equivalent
    RAM: 2GB
    Storage: 310MB
    https://www.thecrydsdaily.com/p/marvel-contest-of-champions-requirements.html?m=1

From july 7, 2020

CPU: Quad Core 1.2GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Free storage: 300 MB

https://plainmemory.com/piece/marvel-contest-of-champions-system-requirements-on-android-ios/

But it could be that they have enforced it last update.
  • First site link above (undated, but probably much older) only says “recommended” of 2 GB. Older because it says iOS 9, Android 5 (instead of 10 and 6).

Second link (8 months old) doesn’t say whether recommended or real for the 2 GB requirement, but those people affected had been still able to download and play prior to just this month.

Could very well be that requirement flags in game have now been changed to 2 GB, maybe as part of trying to avoid as many Android problems (on lesser devices) since they did say they were trying to implement some things to help that out. Just if that is so, they should have given plenty warning in advance (like they had done previously when they were gonna increase the OS version requirements in past).
  • TheBoogyManTheBoogyMan Posts: 2,094 ★★★★★
    A phone with 2 gb ram doesn't have 2 gb ram for app processing. It is only 50% of it. The other 50% is used up by the OS.

You can always assume this to be the case no matter what your ram is, except for 8 gb and above. Probably this is why phones with 2gb Ram are no longer supported
    Knordy said:

I'm not quite sure the Ram could be an issue. According to several sites the Ram requirement was already set to 2GB

Probably from an old post:

Recommended Requirements:
    CPU: Snapdragon 429 Quad Core 1.8 GHz or equivalent
    GPU: Adreno 504 or equivalent
    RAM: 2GB
    Storage: 310MB
    https://www.thecrydsdaily.com/p/marvel-contest-of-champions-requirements.html?m=1

From july 7, 2020

CPU: Quad Core 1.2GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Free storage: 300 MB

https://plainmemory.com/piece/marvel-contest-of-champions-system-requirements-on-android-ios/

But it could be that they have enforced it last update.

Like @SummonerNR explained those are Quite Outdated as well they aren't Official Sites or Requirements, even then they just aren't true because I've been using 1gb and 1.5gb Ram Devices since I started playing 4 or 5 years ago and Only Just Now have encountered this Strict Requirement. (Recommendations are different than Requirements)

It would appear they are now putting Mcoc in line with there other App's Requirements, again like @SummonerNR mention it could be due to them attempting to crack down on many of the Android Device Issues as well if they were caused by low ram capacity However Yet Again Why Couldn't They've Just Told Us This...

Side Note Ram does appear to have a fairly sizable impact on how well Internet Apps such as Mcoc Run on your Device, among other things of course but Larger Ram Capacity appears to be one of the simplest ways to increase App Speeds and Efficiency, which leads credence to the idea of them wanting Low Ram Devices no longer compatible if they were the main issue bearers.

Which I can help confirm after borrowing some of my family's Devices that had similar specs but different Ram Capacities, and trying out Mcoc out on them.
    An OS 9 Device with 1 GB Ram didn't give me the option to download Mcoc period, an OS 8 Device with 2 GB Ram Did and worked well with the occasional crash then Loading was faster and swapping accounts was still kind of slow (better than my old OS 8 Device with 1.5GB Ram which frequently crashed), then an OS 9 Device with 4GB Ram had Great Loading and Super Fast account swapping as well I have yet to crash once. (As mentioned before all had fairly similar specs, also no other apps were open during testing)

A phone with 2 gb ram doesn't have 2 gb ram for app processing. It is only 50% of it. The other 50% is used up by the OS.

You can always assume this to be the case no matter what your ram is, except for 8 gb and above. Probably this is why phones with 2gb Ram are no longer supported

*2gb is seemingly still supported but is the absolute Minimum a Device can now be, but your point would make sense as it'd be kind of Ridiculous if 1 Game did use All Available Ram on a 2gb ram Device.
    So it's probably something more like Mcoc (just randomly guessing here) needs .6gb ram to run Efficiently with no internal issues, which if we take your point into account still leaves room for other apps on 2gb ram Devices and Plenty of room on +4gb ram Devices.

*2gb is seemingly still supported but is the absolute Minimum a Device can now be, but your point would make sense as it'd be kind of Ridiculous if 1 Game did use All Available Ram on a 2gb ram Device.
    So it's probably something more like Mcoc (just randomly guessing here) needs .6gb ram to run Efficiently with no internal issues, which if we take your point into account still leaves room for other apps on 2gb ram Devices and Plenty of room on +4gb ram Devices.
    Again Ram is just One Factor in Performance but seems to be the Main Requirement for Mcoc to not just Run well but now a Straight Requirement to be able to download it to begin with.

...only thing that still doesn't add up is (say it with me) Why. Didn't. They. Just. Tell. Us.
  • TheBoogyManTheBoogyMan Posts: 2,094 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021

Yeah. I'm currently running on a 4 gb ram, and it is running okay for me. Thinking of upgrading soon before this one also becomes outdated..haha

RAM is only one factor, there would be others too. I think kabam did not tell this to the people because they themselves aren't aware of it. Just guessing here. Not sure if it's true. That's why no mod has commented here.

Anyways, let's hope for bug fixs, better experience, more fun and less drama. :)
  • Thx @LibertyPrimeV1 .
    Fyi on Apple iPad, pretty sure I saw someone this month post about iPad 9.7” 4th Gen saying still runs but was having lagging, etc (of course, it's old), but it does still meets iOS v10.0 requirement, and does still appear on my old 4th Gen App Store (although I no longer play it on that one).

BUT (looking at online specs, since Apple doesn’t officially publish) says 4th Gen only had 1 GB RAM.

So if they implemented a 2 GB RAM requirement, doesn’t seem like they did it for Apple, just Android.

Thx @LibertyPrimeV1 .
    Fyi on Apple iPad, pretty sure I saw someone this month post about iPad 9.7” 4th Gen saying still runs but was having lagging, etc (of course, it's old), but it does still meets iOS v10.0 requirement, and does still appear on my old 4th Gen App Store (although I no longer play it on that one).

BUT (looking at online specs, since Apple doesn’t officially publish) says 4th Gen only had 1 GB RAM.

So if they implemented a 2 GB RAM requirement, doesn’t seem like they did it for Apple, just Android.

Yeah if you notice on the other games they only Specify the OS for Apple Products, possibly since their Device Amounts are so much more limited possibly each OS only has a Specific Ram Capacity? I really know nothing about Apple Products though so anything you could say is more than I can.
  • Regular (not Pro or Mini) iPad (9.7 or 10”) 6th Gen (2018) still runs decent (what I currently use), specs say 2 GB RAM.
    And 7th Gen (2019) specs say they got an increase to 3 GB RAM.

Regular (not Pro or Mini) iPad (9.7 or 10”) 6th Gen (2018) still runs decent (what I currently use), specs say 2 GB RAM.
    And 7th Gen (2019) specs say they got an increase to 3 GB RAM.

Apple Might not use as much Ram on their Operating System and Background Workinga, keyword Might as this is just a guess.
  • I'm still rather irate about my Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro (1.5 GB RAM, Android 6) not being good enough, but I can confirm that the phone I bought to replace it works fine...for now. It's a Samsung Galaxy A51 (4 GB RAM, Android 10).