**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Longevity of the game? What’s the key?

Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
So I’m doing some thinking and I don’t think it’s very long before we have our first maxed out 6* maybe another 12-15 months or so. What is the next step to increase longevity of this game? I don’t think adding another rarity would be the answer. I think of games that are around for awhile and what makes them last as long. Most of the ones that are around have a carrot dangling aspect that keeps people coming around .

Because Mcoc dangling carrot is new champs you aren’t able to access them. You are competing for resources so it’s hard to justify rank ups.

Another aspect of the game is communication. The first effective form of communication in this game has been dungeons and you can send prompts to one another. Other than that it’s almost impossible to chat in this game without another 3rd party chat app. Since this game has kind of determined you need that to be effective I’ll call it the bare minimum.

If the bare minimum is a communication app, I think there should be ways to interact with your allies and work towards a group goal. War is kind of set up like this , but to be effective communication is a must. Also most people I know aren’t caring for high tier wars.

So my question is what do you think is the answer for longevity? For the sake of this conversation please assume that 6* champs are all ranked up. What happens after that?

My personal thought is I would love to see things more on a community level. I think incursions is a great start to this and want to see other aspects of the game where you can meet a random. I like the idea of challenging a teammate . What they did in summoner showdown was so cool putting your teammates against certain champs and you having to counter them. Something like that would change the game for me. Especially having a leader board and your record and you being able to view them fighting your challenge. I know the tech is far from that; but I would love that aspect of playing chess against players.

Anyways! Just my thoughts

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Add the summoner showdown thing as a game mode in this game. That'd be awesome. It would need some refinement though but the general concept is amazing. Requires perfect skill as well as strategy which is what this game is all about at this point.
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,463 ★★★★★

Add the summoner showdown thing as a game mode in this game. That'd be awesome. It would need some refinement though but the general concept is amazing. Requires perfect skill as well as strategy which is what this game is all about at this point.

I agree with this.

And keep updating Incursions. Maybe make them refresh more often. At the moment, they are my favorite game mode.
  • Hera1d_of_Ga1actusHera1d_of_Ga1actus Posts: 2,439 ★★★★★
    Something to add to the longevity of the game, something that doesn't have too many ties to the normal concepts of the game as new stuff = good. However I highly doubt Kabam would do something like this and honestly it's just a game that will die out like any other. So basically I have no idea but I don't think anything Kabam is most likely gonna do would increase the longevity of the game

We are nowhere near having our first maxed out 6*. They are going to milk 6R3 for a year or so more, then they’ll introduce materials for R4. By, 2024, they’ll probably introduce materials for R5 slowly. We won’t see a 6R5 until 2025 by the earliest.

what
  • Prakhar_82Prakhar_82 Posts: 713 ★★★
    edited March 2021
    I really don't support the idea of summoner showdown type of thing on daily basis. It would be really fun for the first time but suck awfully cause you will be wasting your time for like 20 mins to just EVALUATE a fight which for sure no one will do without great rewards. People who get defeated due to lag issues and network connection issues will give a free win to the opponent which you know affect the rankings heavily causing frustration. If they would do it in a shorter format, the fights will become RNG fiesta. For example, like arena opponents.

Second, I really don't find any problem with communicating with Line /Discord or any other app. Wonder why people complain about it.

Thirdly, Kabam have already put a step forward in longevity of the game by slowing down the amount of resources given and not introducing six star arena. And even if they fasten it a bit, I really don't find any problem with seven stars. Act 7 is a good step in my opinion. I am hyped up for the new boss.
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021
    Community is always a plus and a big contributor towards longevity. Not sure what that means for mcoc though.

I like the idea of Incursions, but I hate doing them. Ideally I'd want something that doesn't take so long, or something that can be done in successive short bursts without so much coordination with a single individual.

I'm looking forward to potential changes to arena. It's something I can just pickup and do as stress relief.

I agree with this.

And keep updating Incursions. Maybe make them refresh more often. At the moment, they are my favorite game mode.
    Yep. Incursions are fun AF with all sorts of characters while also quite challening once you progress through zones and reach awkward node combinations. Easily the best game mode in the game for me.

• Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★

Yep. It would be awesome to get into a lobby with a random and you both see who can go the most rounds, and who is more skilled.
    Texas_11 said:

Yep. It would be awesome to get into a lobby with a random and you both see who can go the most rounds, and who is more skilled.
    Yep or being able to challenge your friends and find out who's best.

Texas_11 said:

Yep or being able to challenge your friends and find out who's best.
    I think that’s what it comes down to really: not incursions because you depend on them to succeed. But you always want the stream to go a little rather than your buddies

Community is always a plus and a big contributor towards longevity. Not sure what that means for mcoc though.

I like the idea of Incursions, but I hate doing them. Ideally I'd want something that doesn't take so long, or something that can be done in successive short bursts without so much coordination with a single individual.

I'm looking forward to potential changes to arena. It's something I can just pickup and do as stress relief.

When I think of certain mobile games it always finds a way to have the community interaction without such a high amount of work. It would be nice if we had something similar where the cost of entry is not so high to enjoy the game. Hopefully they can take some ideas from the MROC team and then implement them and learn here. I do think bases was a good idea , but poorly implemented in transformers. But you can have a team you place on defense and have a change to fight back etc , and pick your nodes.

Yes, I agree. Incursions takes way too long and is demanding, not to mention you lose your champ if you pair up with the wrong random. Fun is not 5-6 hours in the dungeon.

Arena is how I got hooked on the game , I thought I was beating up all these high players 😂.
  • ABOMBABOMB Posts: 564 ★★★
    Its not gna last forever so enjoy it while its here my dude.
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    I think boss raids or whatever they’re calling it sounds really cool. Also being able to fight with multiple champions at a time sounds cool too. I think they’ll probably add 7 stars at some point if we ever get to that but they are going to be nearly impossible to get.
    Will3808 said:

I think boss raids or whatever they’re calling it sounds really cool. Also being able to fight with multiple champions at a time sounds cool too. I think they’ll probably add 7 stars at some point if we ever get to that but they are going to be nearly impossible to get.

I guess I’m not very interested in getting all new champs again.

I do think being able to raids are cool
  • Crys23Crys23 Posts: 724 ★★★★
    15 months for r5 6* ? Lol. Maybe first and only r4 when 7.4 comes out, which is about a year away. Then at least another 2 years for resources to r5 a 6*.
    So, 3 years for max 6*, then another 2-3 years for people chasing max 6*'s for more of their champs. So the game has at least 5 more years in current format
    Crys23 said:

15 months for r5 6* ? Lol. Maybe first and only r4 when 7.4 comes out, which is about a year away. Then at least another 2 years for resources to r5 a 6*.
    So, 3 years for max 6*, then another 2-3 years for people chasing max 6*'s for more of their champs. So the game has at least 5 more years in current format

Could be , I was just guesstimating. That has more logic to it , but my point is that what happens after that? Another prestige race? Buffed AQ rewards? It’s essentially moving the goal post until you have no more room.

Just to use a corny example imagine a rabbit is on a treadmill with a carrot dangling. This rabbit will continue to chase the carrot indefinitely. This is what Mcoc has been through 3* champs to 6* champs. Eventually, once we rank 6* champs to the max, the rabbit will look down and see that it’s on a treadmill and give up. 7* champs for me is not the answer. My question in the the current format of the game what do they do to keep it interesting?
    edited March 2021
    Crys23 said:

how long do you think this game is gonna last lol, there's no way in Mephisto's domain that Kabam spends 5 YEARS on 6*s my g. I alr know I'd get bored with that rat race cause I was alr struggling to get a R3
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,170 ★★★★★
    Texas_11 said:

So I’m doing some thinking and I don’t think it’s very long before we have our first maxed out 6* maybe another 12-15 months or so.

Maybe the first rank 4, but a rank 5 seems years away. Two of the rank up materials for rank 4 are not even rewards anywhere in the game, and IMO they'll not be easy to acquire after they are added. So not sure your timeline even works for that, but hard to know. The resources for a rank 5 are a mystery, but I figure they'll be a chore to get.

And that's how the game lives on -- by giving us big carrots to chase, year after year. Not complaining. It's a game.
  • Forum_God_715Forum_God_715 Posts: 20
    In case y'all forgot, people didn't respond well to the rushed 6-Star release. Kabam learns from their mistakes (most of the time). So we'll end up seeing r4 6-Stars come out extremely slowly. And by slowly, I meant that My prediction for r4 6-Stars is mid-late act 8. Catalysts aside, it's the sig stones that are the issue. Additionally, t5cc is still a rare resource. So once t5cc gets normalized and 6 stars sigs stop being paywalled (the incursions objective was a really good start), THEN we can talk about r4s. R5s are like probably not even in the BACK of their minds rn. Also, as far as the rat race argument where people will "get tired" of chasing the newest thing, I thought that too. But MCOC whales are pretty insane.

Crys23 said:

how long do you think this game is gonna last lol, there's no way in Mephisto's domain that Kabam spends 5 YEARS on 6*s my g. I alr know I'd get bored with that rat race cause I was alr struggling to get a R3
    As much as I love Mcoc, I can seriously say I don’t play it for the solo content. Mainly just to keep playing with some of the people in my ally.

AQ = Must do , but hardly engaging and team oriented.

AW= Nice to do, engaging challenge, but hardly team oriented. Especially since they removed all links.

Incursions= Fun to do. Engaging challenge, but the time commitment is terrible.

Arena = optional; and stress free gameplay.

I am with you on getting bored waiting 5 years to R5 a champ.
    Texas_11 said:

Crys23 said:

As much as I love Mcoc, I can seriously say I don’t play it for the solo content. Mainly just to keep playing with some of the people in my ally.

AQ = Must do , but hardly engaging and team oriented.

AW= Nice to do, engaging challenge, but hardly team oriented. Especially since they removed all links.

Incursions= Fun to do. Engaging challenge, but the time commitment is terrible.

Arena = optional; and stress free gameplay.

I am with you on getting bored waiting 5 years to R5 a champ.
    yes, some of the most fun in gaming I've had is seeing my friend die to this bogstandard Iron Fist in like zone 5, experiences like that are mainly tied to the actual friends instead of the game but this game is pretty decent as well and that just makes it more enjoyable than some other mobile games

In case y'all forgot, people didn't respond well to the rushed 6-Star release. Kabam learns from their mistakes (most of the time). So we'll end up seeing r4 6-Stars come out extremely slowly. And by slowly, I meant that My prediction for r4 6-Stars is mid-late act 8. Catalysts aside, it's the sig stones that are the issue. Additionally, t5cc is still a rare resource. So once t5cc gets normalized and 6 stars sigs stop being paywalled (the incursions objective was a really good start), THEN we can talk about r4s. R5s are like probably not even in the BACK of their minds rn. Also, as far as the rat race argument where people will "get tired" of chasing the newest thing, I thought that too. But MCOC whales are pretty insane.

I did forget about that! I’m not saying I’m bored with the game yet; saying there is only so much resetting the prestige race can do.

I actually think they are talking about when and how to iterate R5 champs. They have already stopped making attack values so high in the game , because they realized they can’t just keep adding more damage and Heath, it’s boring not challenging.

I don’t think many people are going to be interested in collecting another version of omega red as a 7* 😂 .

It’s a tough question to answer for sure. If you think about certain games on console , replaying a game after purchase is often a big seller. It’s probably one of the biggest aspects of any game I would say.

I use to play borderlands spending crazy hours farming weapons , if you were at level 45 you would spend hours and hours farming for one item. About 2 months later they would raise the level cap to 47 , making all your level 45 gear moot. Rinse and repeat. It upset the community.
  • Forum_God_715Forum_God_715 Posts: 20
    Texas_11 said:

I did forget about that! I’m not saying I’m bored with the game yet; saying there is only so much resetting the prestige race can do.

I actually think they are talking about when and how to iterate R5 champs. They have already stopped making attack values so high in the game , because they realized they can’t just keep adding more damage and Heath, it’s boring not challenging.

I don’t think many people are going to be interested in collecting another version of omega red as a 7* 😂 .

It’s a tough question to answer for sure. If you think about certain games on console , replaying a game after purchase is often a big seller. It’s probably one of the biggest aspects of any game I would say.

I use to play borderlands spending crazy hours farming weapons , if you were at level 45 you would spend hours and hours farming for one item. About 2 months later they would raise the level cap to 47 , making all your level 45 gear moot. Rinse and repeat. It upset the community.
    I get that, but the amount of time it takes for the previous rank/rarity in this game to be "moot" is forever. The current levels of champs that are "moot" to top end players are probably 4 stars and r3/4 5-Stars. You could technically make an argument for 5/65s, but there are champs like quake who aren't available as 6-Stars. It makes no sense to me that Kabam would rush r4/5 6-Stars with the state of the game economy rn. T5b/t2a ratio is WAY off after breaker of thrones. T5cc is annoying to come by, and targeting catalysts is stupidly difficult. Sigs are a whole other mess if you are dropping big bucks on sig stone offers. Once the rest of the community catches up to higher end players, then they'll slowly release r4s and 5s as I said before. What comes after that?

Well... idk. Potentially 7-Stars. Probably 7-Stars. Most likely 7-Stars actually. But I think the game is kinda heading in a different direction as a whole, so who knows! Maybe r5 6-Stars are the end of the rarity race!
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,646 Guardian
    I think one problem with brainstorming these kinds of things is I think most people have a mental image of players of the game as someone who joins and the plays forever. The people who play for a while and then leave don't matter, because they are gone, right?

But I think when you consider the longevity of a game, you have to consider the playerbase as a dynamic thing. People are constantly joining. People are constantly leaving. We have a healthy playerbase not just because of the veterans who stay forever, but also because we constantly have an influx of players to replace those that leave. Whatever we do to the game, if it makes the game less attractive to new players, we are starting a timer to our inevitable demise.

And all the while we are thinking about the higher elements of the game - the higher progress, the higher competitiveness, the higher content - we should always remember that up to now this game has always been approachable. A new player starting today can aspire to everything the game currently offers veterans. The top players in the game are not so overwhelmingly high that no one starting today can ever reach them. I mean, the literal top 1% of top 1% are unreachable by most, but that has nothing to do with veteran status. I can no more reach those guys than someone starting today, because they just continue to push harder than me.

But a player starting today can aspire to reach, say, my approximate level of the game and even higher. They can aspire to have a rich roster of 6* max rank champs on a faster timescale than it took me to do that. They can aspire to do the same content I'm doing after catching up to me. And I think this is part of the accessibility of the game. You do not need to spend money to reach the top, say, 10% of the game. You do not need to play 24 hours a day. And most important, you do not need to have been here from the beginning.

There has to be a balance between making the richer and more interesting towards the top, and allowing new players who start today to be able to aspire to reach those same heights. For better or worse, 6* champ did that by reducing the long-term advantage of veterans. If instead of 6* champs we had some kind of 5* advancement on top of 5* champs, then veteran players with much larger rosters would have a baked-in advantage over newer players that would have been almost impossible to overcome, especially when we're now looking at the next stage above 6* champs.

Whatever comes next, there must be some advantage that veterans get so they do not feel like their investment in the game is devalued. But it cannot be an overwhelming advantage that newer players cannot neutralize over time if they put their minds to it or we choke off new players from the game and stagnate the playerbase. Balancing those two is the biggest challenge moving forward in my opinion.
    DNA3000 said:

I think one problem with brainstorming these kinds of things is I think most people have a mental image of players of the game as someone who joins and the plays forever. The people who play for a while and then leave don't matter, because they are gone, right?

But I think when you consider the longevity of a game, you have to consider the playerbase as a dynamic thing. People are constantly joining. People are constantly leaving. We have a healthy playerbase not just because of the veterans who stay forever, but also because we constantly have an influx of players to replace those that leave. Whatever we do to the game, if it makes the game less attractive to new players, we are starting a timer to our inevitable demise.

And all the while we are thinking about the higher elements of the game - the higher progress, the higher competitiveness, the higher content - we should always remember that up to now this game has always been approachable. A new player starting today can aspire to everything the game currently offers veterans. The top players in the game are not so overwhelmingly high that no one starting today can ever reach them. I mean, the literal top 1% of top 1% are unreachable by most, but that has nothing to do with veteran status. I can no more reach those guys than someone starting today, because they just continue to push harder than me.

But a player starting today can aspire to reach, say, my approximate level of the game and even higher. They can aspire to have a rich roster of 6* max rank champs on a faster timescale than it took me to do that. They can aspire to do the same content I'm doing after catching up to me. And I think this is part of the accessibility of the game. You do not need to spend money to reach the top, say, 10% of the game. You do not need to play 24 hours a day. And most important, you do not need to have been here from the beginning.

There has to be a balance between making the richer and more interesting towards the top, and allowing new players who start today to be able to aspire to reach those same heights. For better or worse, 6* champ did that by reducing the long-term advantage of veterans. If instead of 6* champs we had some kind of 5* advancement on top of 5* champs, then veteran players with much larger rosters would have a baked-in advantage over newer players that would have been almost impossible to overcome, especially when we're now looking at the next stage above 6* champs.

Whatever comes next, there must be some advantage that veterans get so they do not feel like their investment in the game is devalued. But it cannot be an overwhelming advantage that newer players cannot neutralize over time if they put their minds to it or we choke off new players from the game and stagnate the playerbase. Balancing those two is the biggest challenge moving forward in my opinion.

TLDR; don't always focus on what WE want, focus on what can make other audiences join because that creates game growth overall. so don't get too entitled old people (I think this is the message)
  • DRTODRTO Posts: 1,618 ★★★★★
    It'll probably take at least another 2 years before you''ll be able to max a 6* champion, I do see them introducing 7* champs in the future but that'll be it. I remember Brian Grant saying in one of his videos awhile ago that after 7* champs it'd be better to then release features that increase the strenght of lower tiered champs instead of continually releasing 8*,9* etc.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,646 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

TLDR; don't always focus on what WE want, focus on what can make other audiences join because that creates game growth overall. so don't get too entitled old people (I think this is the message)
    That, and expect that what takes us five years to get will eventually take two years to get, because if it takes everyone starting today the same five years to get where we are now, eventually that number will become too big for anyone to want to join the game and be stuck permanently looking upward.

We want to preserve some of our investment moving into the future, but we can't keep all of it. Expect newer players to have a slightly easier time than we did, and recognize that is necessary for the future of the game in the long run. Make sure anything we add at the top has a long path to get there today, and will eventually have a shorter path to get there tomorrow.