**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

To war or not to war... What is it good for?

2»

Comments

• te_dua_shumte_dua_shum Posts: 1,001 ★★★★
    Alliances? What are they?
    I'm in an alliance with my two alts, and even if I would like to try war at least once I can't partecipate if the alliance doesn't have five or more members, even though I can do AQ... why Kabam, why? I'm stuck with two "Win 3 fights in a Alliance War" weekly objectives since they were introduced :-(
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Casual war and it's fine
    We run AQ 7x5 and casual no-items wars for gold 1. I like the balance and I need the loyalty from war. If you aren't going to run harder AQ maps and you aren't going to go hard core in war, I don't know that there is much point in running casual war.
  • ChikelChikel Posts: 2,056 ★★★★
    Casual war and it's fine
    SWORD78 said:

Chikel said:

SWORD78 said:

I stopped being in an alliance at Conqueror and it’s been so much more fun and chill.

How do you get by without glory?
    Just fine. I got started playing in April 2020 and became Cavalier a few months back maybe 3 and resources aren’t really in a shortage for me. Occasionally I’ll need some T1A but I just go to the EQ to get some
    I don't think you can get enough t1a and t2a from eq to take a champ to r5.
  • AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    Casual war and it's fine
    I'm currently on break, taking this war season off. It's my second ever break in the 5+ years I've been playing. I have a buddy taking a break also and we are just killing map 4 with just us 2, basically just for glory. As for war, I usually just play casual and have hit p4 and p3. I will say I'm missing the alliance play and map 7, but it's a much needed break for me and I'm enjoying it while getting ready to ramp up again when season ends.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,655 ★★★★★

I'm in an alliance with my two alts, and even if I would like to try war at least once I can't partecipate if the alliance doesn't have five or more members, even though I can do AQ... why Kabam, why? I'm stuck with two "Win 3 fights in a Alliance War" weekly objectives since they were introduced :-(

So, I am the crazy one. I made 4-alts. :D
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,655 ★★★★★
    edited April 2021

I don't know that there is much point in running casual war.

Then, when you are "free", you can come to Bronze 1 bracket for a visit. ;)
  • RigidRigid Posts: 152
    We are gold 1, 3 group wars in season. AQ is our main focus but we do try in war. Slipping in and out of t5 every two or 3 wars.

It definitely has some suck to it at times. The rewards are decent though. It's a 5* crystal and a lot of glory from match rewards over a season and season rewards are decent.

I doubt the rewards from war makes up for the glory and items spent running them but it's team play. AQ really is almost autopilot for us.
  • te_dua_shumte_dua_shum Posts: 1,001 ★★★★
    Alliances? What are they?

So, I am the crazy one. I made 4-alts. :D

The problem with this is that it would reduce my alliance prestige and consequently the points that i can get in AQ, and i don't want to do less than 8M points... and it would be to stressful to play five accounts at the same time ^^"
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,151 ★★★★★
    War feels like a chore. My ally only does 1 BG bc only a few people even care, and we have a no revives required policy. If we lose, so what?

Even then it is lacking in fun. I’d give it up completely if there were other ways to regularly farm loyalty.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,280 ★★★★★
    edited April 2021
    Casual war and it's fine
    I find War a bit of fun; partly because I've only been doing it six months or so.

However, I think the rewards are only worth it if it's fun, and if a few folks aren't carrying the Alliance through spending.

It's okay for there to be stronger players; but they shouldn't bear costs to carry the weaker players.

An Alliance mate was talking recently about healing up the best champions for a match; and the importance of reviving to carry on even if you're toasted. For me, that sounded like the exact opposite of what a 'relaxed' Alliance should be doing: Take a decent team, if you're going to compete. But don't spend*, and if we lose, then we take it on the chin; recognising that we don't really want to be in too high a tier anyway.

*Free revives, boosts and stuff from the Loyalty store are okay. But like the OP says, healing potions are so expensive that they wipe out the value of winning, anyway.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    It's a chore to do at any bracket for me personally.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,073 ★★★★
    Ah, @Magrailothos you old smoothie, insightful as ever! Your post is an erudite and articulate summation of my internal angst.
  • JuggerNotJuggerNot Posts: 432 ★★
    Casual war and it's fine
    Any reward is better than nothing. If you have some half-decent defenders laying around, might as well try AW, just make sure your alliance agrees that AW is not a priority
  • TKS87TKS87 Posts: 375 ★★★
    Hard core war all the way
    I don't mind war tbh, there was a time where it was a big drag and Kabam have made some mistakes regarding global nodes (at least imo) but in its current state I don't find it too bad. My ally finished plat 3 last season with the aim of doing so again. I'm not really sure if that fits in as 'hardcore' but we typically fight in tier 3, sometimes tier 2 or tier 4 depending on how we are doing, so I would consider it close to that at least.

The things I have found when it comes to war is mostly two things.. 1) having ally mates who are like minded and are willing to put in the same work/resources, and 2) having leaders and officers that are well organized, and also not harsh and forgiving. If everyone is willing to spend glory (or units) on potions, loyalty on boosts, and boost and heal up properly during important fights. If you get people who aren't boosting or healing to full when necessary it can trigger a lot of arguments and that just never ends well. Leadership that communicates well so that everyone knows what's expected of them, but don't harp on someone for a death is also important for similar reasons.

I still think there are ways war could be improved, but I like the challenge that it can bring myself. I like the need to have a wide range of champs to handle fights, because I feel like it rewards a diverse roster choice. Sometimes it doesn't always feel like the rewards justify the amount of potions / revives / boosts you use for the season, but with the alliance I'm with right now I like working together with them to reach our goal, and I consider the rewards a bonus. Helps me keep my sanity lol.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Casual war and it's fine
    DrZola said:

Our ally is pretty much low-effort, post-retirement and we’ve gone through periods where we push AW (one BG, G3/S1) and periods like now where everyone even forgets to start matchmaking. It’s very low tier but most of us burned out on AW a long time ago.

At our level, the season rewards really aren’t relevant (smattering of 4/5* shards, T4c, a piece of T2a, etc.) or worth the time. In fact, participation this season is so low we have sunk down to Rock or Dirt or whatever low tier there is.

Dr. Zola

Honestly it doesn't take much effort. We usually clear war on day one. Sometimes 100%, sometimes 100% section one and boss rush, sometimes just boss rush depending on what tier we are in. I use zero items. I know the season rewards for gold one aren't amazing but it's worth it for the effort we put in (very little) and the loyalty is useful. But again, if you are running retirement in AQ it's probably not going to work in AW due to lack of interest.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,073 ★★★★
    The stats in who takes this game mode seriously are interesting.

Reminded me of the stats in a BBC article last week about revenue from players in rng and loot box derived games.

Anyway, really appreciate all the responses and the votes in the poll!
  • Casual war and it's fine
    If you are looking for "worth it" rewards... war is never the way. As you go for higher rewards, the costs ALWAYS outweigh the benefits. War is pretty much for the competition, not the rewards.
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,261 ★★★★
    No war at all, AQ all the way
    To me, the AW part of the game represents (1) Competition, (2) Cooperation, (3) Rewards to aid in progression.

I've always been a Single-play game type of person, so (1) doesn't interest me. (2) became a lot more stressful than it was worth, such that the ratio of enjoyment to stress became skewed.

Ultimately, (3) became my sole reason for AW (and likely many others, as the rewards can be pretty great to help with your personal account progression). The rewards in AW helped my account, not just to do well in AW but also to complete solo content.

But, (3) started to not matter to me once I had enough champions ranked up to handle the solo content. At that point, for me personally, the AW rewards became more about performance in AW instead of rewards that help me do solo content.

So, I just stopped doing AW since the three components no longer made sense for me. I don't feel limited in my progression, as I am not comparing my account to a rival team but by the ability to complete content and rank up champions. I started doing AQ when the T5cc popped up in the Glory store, but there is no stress there at all.

• Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,108 ★★★★★
    Casual war and thinking of quitting war
    AW - waste of time to do this hardcore. Rewards are only good enough when you spend enough/too much. Even people who will say they are F2P and doing it at masters level are in alliances where the majority are paying & spending.

I love some competition but the price is too high for the returns. And when you want to compete for free the rewards aren't worth the effort.
  • JustMaybeJustMaybe Posts: 13
    I actually enjoy war as long as its low stress and resource optional. Our ally go for wins until we reach tier 5 than just do boss rushes to drop down again. Minimal effort for some ok rewards in the end
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    Casual war and thinking of quitting war
    Unless you can hit platinum the rewards aren't worth it.