**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

PSA: How App Store prices work

Comments

• winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,658 ★★★★★
    I thought there was a forum feature whereby hovering the mouse on the reactions icon will show the avatar of the poster, but it seems like it is not working now.
  • SecretWarri0rSecretWarri0r Posts: 230
    DNA3000 said:

Of course his followers are eating up the information like it's gospel.

I guess one of them found the thread and decided to disagree-bomb all of my posts in this thread. Which is pretty obvious when it happens to all the posts rapidly, and includes personal anecdotes involving tourists.

It is a shame those guys can no longer flag the post. Because it would be wrong of me to tag every Kabam employee and say "please read my posts" but when angry people used to flag them all, it forced Kabam to read all my stuff. Especially the most interesting and controversial posts. You can't buy that kind of visibility.

Now, they are forced to stand there and push the close door button in the elevator repeatedly not realizing the button isn't connected to anything. Because at this point, I'm pretty sure nobody cares who flags my posts with disagrees. Nobody who thinks I have credibility cares, and nobody who dislikes me is going to dislike me more due to disagrees. And when every single post suddenly gains exactly one disagree, it ends up looking kind of lonely, like a single person standing by themselves in the rain protesting something with a sign no one can read and chanting things no one can understand.

In particular, I don't really care, because I can't care. I have no idea what an anonymous disagree flag means, on one post much less a series of them. Without some additional piece of information, it could just as well be a forum software glitch. Whoever you are, if I don't know why you're disagreeing, your disagree is meaningless.

Not saying there's likely a rational reason here, given they are flagging posts about Australian tourists, but still.
    Brother, this kind of thing happens all the time. I’ve learned to enjoy it, because in my own experience, it’s just glaring evidence that you’re right and they are too dumb to form even the most basic of rebuttals, if there even were one.
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,142 ★★★★★
    edited April 2021
    Do U.S. locals pay the $99.99 for an Odin AND THEN a sales tax on top of that?
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    edited April 2021
    As someone who does not spend anything in the game, this topic is not relevant for the game. But, I do spend on other apps, so this is interesting and useful. FYI, An ODIN costs INR7900 in India, which translates to 1053.30 USD as per today's conversion rate. So, its not that bad of a conversion if you factor in the taxes and operational costs.

Edit: Now this is really interesting. There is something called alternate tiers, where you can set different prices for developing and underdeveloped countries and India comes under this. So, only for specific countries, the price tier can be changed.
  • Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★
    Pulyaman said:

As someone who does not spend anything in the game, this topic is not relevant for the game. But, I do spend on other apps, so this is interesting and useful. FYI, An ODIN costs INR7900 in India, which translates to 1053.30 USD as per today's conversion rate. So, its not that bad of a conversion if you factor in the taxes and operational costs.

I think you misplaced the decimal in the USD value
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,684 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Rookiie said:

What is your IQ?

That's promising, I guess.
    Awesome man! 😄 I agree bombed your posts to offset the shade. Thanks for the clarity on the matter.
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,142 ★★★★★

Snizzbar said:

Do U.S. locals pay the $99.99 for an Odin AND THEN a sales tax on top of that?

Yes
    OK that makes sense then - my NZD price is $169.99 but that already includes our 15% Goods and Services Tax.
    If you take that off then the ex-tax price is $147.80, which is only $5.60 off the current NZD-USD conversion rate of 1.42:1, and well within reason for historical currency fluctuations if you were going to choose a local Odin price in New Zealand.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    edited April 2021

Pulyaman said:

I think you misplaced the decimal in the USD value
    Lol. Yes. I searched for 79000 instead of 7900 and it got added up. So ,its 105.23 USD instead of 99 USD for us in India.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    Pulyaman said:

Edit: Now this is really interesting. There is something called alternate tiers, where you can set different prices for developing and underdeveloped countries and India comes under this. So, only for specific countries, the price tier can be changed.

My understanding, based on when alternate tiers first came out, “alternate tiers” are special price tiers, not alternate pricing. Meaning, separate from the standard tiers 1 through 90, there are also seven alternate tiers called alternate 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, A, and B. In the US and in most other countries these correspond to tiers 1 through 5 (A and B also correspond to tier 1). These are all low cost items, 0.99 through 4.99 in USD. For these items Apple has alternate pricing for a set of countries, mostly developing countries and weirdly, Australia. These are intended for App developers to use when they want to make very low cost items targeting regions where people tend to have much lower amounts of disposable income. So basically it allows App developers to sell inexpensive stuff in poorer countries. Hypothetically speaking Kabam could sell a two dollar item for less than normal in Australia using alternate tiers. But there’s no alt tier code for something like an Odin, or even Peter Parker’s Wallet. Anything above $5 USD has no alt tier way to lower prices in other countries, at least as of the last time I checked.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    Thanks for the info.
  • GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 785 ★★★★
    Interesting... so the UK's Odin pricing is higher because of this.

I'm assuming that the Google Play Store has to use the same prices, because something being cheaper on Google Play wouldn't make sense?
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,722 ★★★★★
    My question is, how does Apple prevent people from buing the "best worth" option? A customer doesn't care for Kabam revenues.

Let us say someone lives in Australia and gets X units for Y *currency*, which is Z% of their monthly income. If they bought the price in let us say US, they would still get X units in-game, but for Y' *currency*, which would convert to Z'% of their monthly income.

As a result, people could actually save money by living in Australia and buying for US prices, which (in theory) could save them money. Same could got for maybe US and India? Idk, I just picked two countries at random. Point is, how does Apple prevent this? With VPN and maybe even foreign country bank accounts, this could be very well hidden. And for whales who spend tens of thousands of dollars, this could be quite a money saver.

I will give an example: I live in Czech Republic, a tiny state in the central Europe. Our currency is CZK (czech crown) and is usually around 25 CZK = 1 USD.

Odins in the US: $99.99 / 3100 units
    Odins in Czech Rep.: 2490 CZK / 3100 units

Current conversion rate is 1 USD = 21.99 CZK. Compared to US, here an Odin would cost $113.23

If I bought the US offer, I would pay 2199 CZK per Odin. It's 1.25 Unit/1 CZK versus 1.41 Unit/1 CZK

Now I will try to compare to Seatin:
    Up until December 2020, he spent $65k. That is 650 Odins. If he lived here, he'd have to pay approximately $8.6k more for the same amount of units. Which is quite a lot if you think about it, so what would prevent a local whale from getting the offers for US prices?
    Kerneas said:

My question is, how does Apple prevent people from buing the "best worth" option? A customer doesn't care for Kabam revenues.

Let us say someone lives in Australia and gets X units for Y *currency*, which is Z% of their monthly income. If they bought the price in let us say US, they would still get X units in-game, but for Y' *currency*, which would convert to Z'% of their monthly income.

As a result, people could actually save money by living in Australia and buying for US prices, which (in theory) could save them money. Same could got for maybe US and India? Idk, I just picked two countries at random. Point is, how does Apple prevent this? With VPN and maybe even foreign country bank accounts, this could be very well hidden. And for whales who spend tens of thousands of dollars, this could be quite a money saver.

I will give an example: I live in Czech Republic, a tiny state in the central Europe. Our currency is CZK (czech crown) and is usually around 25 CZK = 1 USD.

Current conversion rate is 1 USD = 21.99 CZK. Compared to US, here an Odin would cost $113.23

If I bought the US offer, I would pay 2199 CZK per Odin. It's 1.25 Unit/1 CZK versus 1.41 Unit/1 CZK

Up until December 2020, he spent $65k. That is 650 Odins. If he lived here, he'd have to pay approximately $8.6k more for the same amount of units. Which is quite a lot if you think about it, so what would prevent a local whale from getting the offers for US prices?

Idk about Apple, but for Google, you get prices based on where you registered your account. You can never change it.
  • KronkKronk Posts: 23
    In South Africa Odin's are set at ZAR1999.99. If we consider the value of USD 100 in Rands, thats ZAR1458.88 (in current rate). We have a mandatory VAT (Value Added Tax) of 15%, so that equals ZAR 218.83. So the true value with VAT should come to ZAR R1677,71. That means somehow we have an additional ZAR 322,29 just added into the mix that is not local tax based. This price was bumped on Cyber Weekend last year from ZAR 1599,99, which was on par with the conversion and was acceptable (I guess). So in USD we are paying roughly $137 per Odin. The tiering system seems like a price gouge from both Apple and Google, but as with most US based products and services, Non-US based individuals live in a different reality. Capitalism at its finest.

Kerneas said:

Idk about Apple, but for Google, you get prices based on where you registered your account. You can never change it.
    You can change it @The_Sentry06 but you're limited to doing it once a year, and if you have Google play points account, you'll lose your tiering and credit.
    Oh ok then.
  • Danyal_39Danyal_39 Posts: 151
    Rookiie said:

What is your IQ?

Beyond us weaklings to comprehend
  • BinkPlayzBinkPlayz Posts: 99 ★★
    Zan0 said:

Was it Prof Hoff? It was Prof Hoff huh.

Sounds about right. The guy is a trash video printer
    repairing printers is my job but even I don't think I can fix that one
  • GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★
    soooooo if Kabam makes Odin's lower than a tier 60 item they can be less expensive :)
    Kerneas said:

My question is, how does Apple prevent people from buing the "best worth" option?

The short answer is, Apple can't really prevent this in the general case, any more than Netflix can enforce their region blocking for content. It is probably prohibited by some term of service somewhere, but in practice this is hard to police. When I've traveled overseas, of course my iTunes account is still registered in the US: I don't start paying the other country's pricing when I buy things.

You may yourself be committing a crime when you do this though. If for example you're evading your own localities taxes when you do this.

soooooo if Kabam makes Odin's lower than a tier 60 item they can be less expensive :)

I think if a developer tried to lower the tier code for Odins the monetization people at Kabam would ask for their agonizer device.
  • Rohit_316Rohit_316 Posts: 3,386 ★★★★★
    If only Kabam and their partners decide to put prices based on the average of the respective currency of that particular country, people would be happy to spend and there will be less free to play players imo. So win - win for all
  • CreditzCreditz Posts: 53
    So US pays $106 including tax which is £77. However we pay £99.99 for an Odin which is $137.
    I'm moving to America!
    Creditz said:

So US pays $106 including tax which is £77. However we pay £99.99 for an Odin which is $137.
    I'm moving to America!

Good a reason as any.