**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

What keeps you from being an elite player, skill-wise?

ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Hey, folks! Just the thread title, for those of us who recognize that there are some absolutely ridiculous players of this game out there but some of us can get better.

A few years back, I really struggled with Intercepting. I didn’t like missing and getting hit, and I was tentative and inconsistent. But what I did to fix it was simple: I took one week and said, no matter what, I am going to Intercept my way through the Proving Grounds’ Hard path, which is about 23-25K health pools.

I ran them almost every time I had enough energy for a full path. I ran them so much, I almost got sick of the game.

But by the end of that week, I could do stand-up intercepts at a B+ level. I am about an A- now.

So now, longtime players will laugh, but I have another weakness that I never addressed but am going to fix: Medium attacks.

For whatever reason, I just haven’t mastered ending combos on Mediums, even when it became obvious that kits are being designed for certain attributes to unlock by doing so. I just never liked how the end Medium felt for my fighting rhythm.

I have been stubborn for years. The only characters I make a dedicated effort to use Mediums are Night Thrasher and Nova...until now.

Now — I have already started today — for the entire next week (because no one, and I mean NO ONE, is gonna be a better Master of Kung Fu than I will be with Shang-Chi’s kit) I am going to do nothing but end combos with Mediums, as best I can, for every fight I do for the next week.

That’s the only way I know how to do it — dedicated practice on one weakness.

So, how about you folks? What weakness do you have, if any? Backdrafts? Heavy intercepts? Dexing?

Let’s hear it!

Comments

• ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★

Nothing. B)

Hey. I know there are sick players out there. Congratulations on putting in the work —- seriously. I admire folks who have all the tricks in their bag
    Crcrcrc said:

Only thing keeping me from being an OP player is getup intercepts and light intercepts. I can do most of the other techniques

I, too, have been working on Getups. Need a little more dedicated practice time

My biggest weakness 100% is remembering to use boosts. They make a huge difference and I only remember to use them like 2-3% of the time. What's worse is that I've had boosts expire because I forget about them...

There is no worse feeling, is there?

I mean, I can Quake endgame bosses without getting hit, do I actually need to learn anything else?

Jk, Jk...... I mean, I can quake pretty well, but the thing I need to work most on is probably the re-parry, or whatever you want to call it. I don't really have that many situations where I absolutely need to do it, but it would be pretty nice to know.
    I didn’t even have a 5-star Quake until last year — it was nuts. That character eluded me for years. I still need to master some Quake-and-Bake, but I literally didn’t have the character awakened to rank up forever
  • H3t3rH3t3r Posts: 2,877 Guardian
    I'm practicing light intercepts currently. Getting pretty good with them especially when using nick
    H3t3r said:

I'm practicing light intercepts currently. Getting pretty good with them especially when using nick

I am absolutely lethal with those with some of the OG characters in the game, especially Scarlet Witch. That’s why the Kabam algorithms won’t let be have her as a 5-star 😎😅
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,079 ★★★★★
    edited May 2021
    A lack of accent and a desire to post videos on YouTube.

Skill wise? I parry 99% of fights, so if I miss a parry, my brain just goes completely blank and I lose it. Progression wise? I have 10 T2A and 3 T5B expiring because I can't get ISO to save my life

How do you handle Stun Immune nodes? Just eat the chip damage? Which is fine, because that is what I used to do
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,033 ★★★★★
    reparry? i can perform just about everything consistently except that lol
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★
    Let’s see.

Consistently landing parries
    Intercepting
    pretty much anything that isn’t quaking

However I am determined to pull a Shang-Chi from the featured and be better than you

The skill of pulling a Dr Doom 5*/6*. Haven’t mastered that yet 😔

Fr though, dedicating all of my brainpower into fighting. Sometimes I will ghost something without blinking and other times I can’t seem to avoid a simple special.

Let’s see.

Consistently landing parries
    Intercepting
    pretty much anything that isn’t quaking

However I am determined to pull a Shang-Chi from the featured and be better than you

LOL You freaking Quake and Ghost guys 😎👍

Like I said above, I didn’t even have a 5-star Quake. But I also didn’t have a 5-star Ghost for years, either 😅😅

I had to learn to play this game the hard way 😎

reparry? i can perform just about everything consistently except that lol

I do that at maybe...B-level. I find I don’t use it as much as some, but I do see the value
    Aburaees said:

Intercepts. I’ve gotten as far as I have without developing this skill, but I really need to hone it for the AW challenger maps.

In my mind it should be the opposite of dexterity, but dexing never feels as risky as intercepting, and it’s the risk that puts me off.

I’ll definitely consider using a training ground after reading this thread.

I promise, it really does help. The health pools are just big enough to get in some good practice, and the AI on the Hard path is aggressive enough to work on all of the intercepts

ESF said:

H3t3r said:

I am absolutely lethal with those with some of the OG characters in the game, especially Scarlet Witch. That’s why the Kabam algorithms won’t let be have her as a 5-star 😎😅
    OG Vision's light intercept is my favorite. 😆
    I get so cocky that I talk trash to the AI...
    "You WISH you could throw hands like these!"

The skill I am weakest at is re-parry.
    BRO

I feel you. That is the second reason Kabam won’t give me a 5-star Scarlet Witch. I have been punishing people with OG Vision for years 👍

He is perfect for intercepting
  • dot_dittodot_ditto Posts: 1,442 ★★★★

Old guy reflexes.

I was going to say this ... but you beat me to it ... O.o
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    Im lazy
    Therefore i have no skills bc lazy
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

Im lazy
    Therefore i have no skills bc lazy

*cough*pulling a usable night thrasher*cough*