**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

My “worries” about the Overseer

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Now I’m going to start off by saying I don’t think the Overseer is a dud or a great champ, I can’t make that judgment yet. However this thread is here to outline my major worries about the champion.

First off the bat he looks like a defensive champ. Whilst I have nothing against defensive champions and know that defenders are still good in their own ways (look at Thing, i love him yet he is primarily a defensive champion). This is a worry to me as it’s seems he might become an another annoying defender that kabam seem to be adding lots of recently (Apoc, Dragon Man, Spider Ham etc) and will just make the AW situation that little bit harder, something lots of players DONT want right now. This isn’t to say he has no offensive abilities, he has lots, it’s just that nobody really wants more annoying defenders do they?

Secondly, sort of a tie in between the previous point and the next one, he has tons of different abilities which seem to work well with lots of newer nodes. Hard knock life (and all the other disorient-based nodes) pair well with his personal disorient abilities. I’m not saying don’t make disorient champions, I think the mechanic is cool and new stuff is always great, but he has other abilities that seem to become more annoying as you look into which champions/nodes have recently been circulating. Another example is his physical burst damage. Whilst there have been lots of champions and nodes over the past year or so which have energy resistance factored in one way or another (Sorcerer, Guardian, nodes like the one on 7.1 gwenperion I can’t remember it’s exact name) there are less interactions to reduce physical damage taken. I think this is both good and bad. It could be a nice nod to how the Maestro “oversees” the contest and thus tailors his traits in a way to counter that.

Finally, my main worry about the champion, is his seemingly random utilities. His abilities don’t seem to have a strict structure, he has 2 modes which only really interact within themselves and don’t seem to change his other abilities in the slightest. Additionally his little pieces of utility just feel as if they were chosen out of a hat. He has auto block, nullify immunity, taunt, special concussion, regen, fury, physical damage and more, yet it all seems slightly random and unrelated to one another. The taunt is special in a way, the overseer wants his opponent gaining power so I can see why they introduced this, however it also begs the question, why not have flat out power control like Doom? Why give the taunt a cool down? Why not have a she-hulk like ability where the furies covert to special throwing chance? They had many options but they seemed to take the one that made the least sense (also the one that seems the laziest). Same with the special concussion. Why special attack exclusive? Why not let it synergise with the disorient to get a full AAR? In its current state it hardly works with the disorient at all which kind of annoys me.

Overall it seemed like the ideas were there but there was just so much more they could do for the champion to make him seem like less of a “this champion will be an annoying defender so we can punish war players further” rather than a “this champion has lots of utility which when they operate together, creates a fun and interactive offensive champ”. It would only be tiny changes needed, just worries me about the future of champion development is all.

Comments

• BendyBendy Posts: 3,350 ★★★★★
    Rotelly said:

My big concern about overseer is his autoblock interaction with his special attacks. This will make him almost unstoppable on power gain nodes where he can rapid fire special attacks

To counter auto block u could use true strike or someone like angela and have x buffs to prevent autoblock
  • HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    So basically you don’t want them to make champions that are hard to fight?
  • RotellyRotelly Posts: 774 ★★★
    Bendy said:

Rotelly said:

My big concern about overseer is his autoblock interaction with his special attacks. This will make him almost unstoppable on power gain nodes where he can rapid fire special attacks

To counter auto block u could use true strike or someone like angela and have x buffs to prevent autoblock
    There shouldn't be a handful of champs that can take on a champ on basic nodes. I am okay with boss nodes have specific counters but not his current proposed kit.

Give him either auto-block or stun immune post special but not both
  • IKONIKON Posts: 1,334 ★★★★★
    I stopped reading at "will make AW harder, something players don't want". Are you sure about that?
  • Cop123Cop123 Posts: 129 ★★
    for the offensive, i wish he had more cohesive utility. disorient isn't reliable and special attack concussion isn't much use either. his taunt mechanic will probably not have much use since it has a cooldown and there are already many more champions with better power control and taunt abilities.
  • TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
    edited June 2021
    Hoitado said:

So basically you don’t want them to make champions that are hard to fight?

I’m not saying I don’t want a challenge but he seems to be specially tailored to have abilities that interact with a lot of different nodes. Not that he’s hard to fight as such, just that he’s a defender I can see popping up constantly over and over (think korg or Domino)
    IKON said:

I stopped reading at "will make AW harder, something players don't want". Are you sure about that?

Well kabam have come out and said they don’t want to make war harder. Lots of people I know and people in high tier alliances are saying war is too stressful or just complete bs nowadays. You might not think war is hard enough but from what I’ve seen across my experiences, people in general don’t want it getting worse.