**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Should Tune Ups just be removed at this point?

MrInsanityMrInsanity Posts: 1,539 ★★★★
edited June 2021 in Suggestions and Requests
It just seems to be a waste of time for the buff designers and players if they are going to make lackluster changes that barely benefit the champion.
You might think I am overreacting but Kabam Miike said that from now on tuneups will be similar to this. No improvements were really made except barely adding to the damage Ronin has, which he didn't need. IMO they should do one moderate update and one overhaul, then next month have 2 moderates updates and one overhaul, and keep alternating. What do you guys think?

Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    yes.
  • MrInsanityMrInsanity Posts: 1,539 ★★★★

Not really, personally I loved new Punisher 99 and Ebony Maw (and of course Angela). If tune-ups were more like that then I’m 100% on board

On Masterpuff's thread Kabam Miike said in the past that some tune ups have gone overboard, I'm assuming he was referring to those and that Ronin's and Nova's tuneups are the new normal.
    If more tuneups were like those I would be on board as well.
  • FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    I don’t mind them doing ‘tune ups’ as long as it’s on champions that actually need the numbers increase.
  • MrInsanityMrInsanity Posts: 1,539 ★★★★

As long as there is improvements to a already good champ why would you hate on it? You can wish it was better and what not but saying its pointless isnt right. At least wait and see how he turns out, people where hating on ultrons spotlight aswell

Nova got no improvements and everyone has forgotten about him
    Ronin has barely even gotten any improvements, damage increased rsther than utility which he needed. In fact he was weakened against bleed immunes.

The devs can focus on other content or better buffs rather than these^
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Is something better than nothing? Takes a special person to argue against that.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

I'll play devils advocate. If you know you're not getting anything you can't be disappointed by not receiving anything. When you're expecting something, you can be either pleasantly surprised or bitterly disappointed.
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    They are good . Mole man, torch, ronin.

ItsDamien said:

I'll play devils advocate. If you know you're not getting anything you can't be disappointed by not receiving anything. When you're expecting something, you can be either pleasantly surprised or bitterly disappointed.
    Because feelings? 1>0
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    Alyzan said:

Not really, personally I loved new Punisher 99 and Ebony Maw (and of course Angela). If tune-ups were more like that then I’m 100% on board

Angela and P99 were probably the ones they were talking about when they said theyve overdone them in the past
    Angela yes, that was a value change in name only. But P99 was the quintessential tune-up. Nothing changed about him except some (most) numbers and a single line of text being removed.

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

I'll play Devil's Prosecutor. "If I don't like it I'm fine with taking it away from everyone else whether I get anything back in return or not" is a pretty sociopathic position for a player of a massively multiplayer game.
    I'll answer both these at the same time since I'm lazy.

(Before I start though, I have no abject feelings either way and have no actual personal feeling toward most buffs in general)

Tune ups as they currently stand are pretty insignificant with how Kabam seems to want to push them as buffs. They do very minor changes to otherwise okay or decent champs, for the most part. These types of tune ups I think they absolutely could do away with.

However a good example of a tune up was p2099. A below average champ who, with some adjustments to his numbers (and how his overdrive mechanic works), became an above average champ. These are the types of tune up buffs that should be focused on.

In the Ronin situation, they took an above average champ and made changes that are overall very minor. That I don't see as a benefit to the playerbase, nor as a good investment for Kabams workload. I doubt we'll see a marked uptick in Ronin usage even after the work they've put in.

However, taking champs that have a solid kit, but are lacking in terms of damage output (someone like Hood) should absolutely have a Value Only tune up to bring them in line with both the content is being released, and with other champs who favour utility over damage for the most part.

TL;DR for those that don't want to read. Do away with minor adjustments to already decent champs. Give bigger value updates to below average champs with utility that's already present.
    edited June 2021
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

I'll play Devil's Prosecutor. "If I don't like it I'm fine with taking it away from everyone else whether I get anything back in return or not" is a pretty sociopathic position for a player of a massively multiplayer game.

(Before I start though, I have no abject feelings either way and have no actual personal feeling toward most buffs in general)

Tune ups as they currently stand are pretty insignificant with how Kabam seems to want to push them as buffs. They do very minor changes to otherwise okay or decent champs, for the most part. These types of tune ups I think they absolutely could do away with.

However a good example of a tune up was p2099. A below average champ who, with some adjustments to his numbers (and how his overdrive mechanic works), became an above average champ. These are the types of tune up buffs that should be focused on.

In the Ronin situation, they took an above average champ and made changes that are overall very minor. That I don't see as a benefit to the playerbase, nor as a good investment for Kabams workload. I doubt we'll see a marked uptick in Ronin usage even after the work they've put in.

However, taking champs that have a solid kit, but are lacking in terms of damage output (someone like Hood) should absolutely have a Value Only tune up to bring them in line with both the content is being released, and with other champs who favour utility over damage for the most part.

TL;DR for those that don't want to read. Do away with minor adjustments to already decent champs. Give bigger value updates to below average champs with utility that's already present.
    The change to Ronin is significant with just a tiny tweak, wait for the game play.

*ask yourself if being able to recklessly dahs into your opponent while throwing out big bleeds and big yellow numbers sounds fun.

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

The change to Ronin is significant with just a tiny tweak, wait for the game play.

*ask yourself if being able to recklessly dahs into your opponent while throwing out big bleeds and big yellow numbers sounds fun.
    He could already achieve decent yellow numbers prior to this already. Again the point is why do minor adjustments to a decent champ, when they could focus on under average champs that need larger value only updates.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

He could already achieve decent yellow numbers prior to this already. Again the point is why do minor adjustments to a decent champ, when they could focus on under average champs that need larger value only updates.
    And now he’s able to put out bigger numbers while also being able to regularly evade which allows him to maintain a highly aggressive play style which he didn’t have before.

Why tweak a few numbers which took next to nothing instead of devoting countless hours to others? Smh

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

And now he’s able to put out bigger numbers while also being able to regularly evade which allows him to maintain a highly aggressive play style which he didn’t have before.

Why tweak a few numbers which took next to nothing instead of devoting countless hours to others? Smh
    You realise the amount of time that both these numbers changes took would result in the same amount of work hours right? I've worked in the games industry for major developers and publishers, the actual numbers changes doesn't take long to put in, most of the time is spent on the testers seeing the interactions this has for the player while using the champ and defending against the champ, which that time is equal regardless of how major or minor a numbers increase is.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

You realise the amount of time that both these numbers changes took would result in the same amount of work hours right? I've worked in the games industry for major developers and publishers, the actual numbers changes doesn't take long to put in, most of the time is spent on the testers seeing the interactions this has for the player while using the champ and defending against the champ, which that time is equal regardless of how major or minor a numbers increase is.
    Maybe it’s not as evident to you as it is to me but when the buff guy has x allotted hours to improve champions and can use a small portion of those hours to tweak a few smaller things to one champion he can then use the remaining hours for those champions who need more of his attention while still lifting the floor up and increasing the desirability of the most champions as possible.

Ronin is cooler now and with more damage to boot. To bad so sad, Sorry you didn’t get what you wanted, this time. It’s something that will encourage more players to pick up and play the champion which is the goal here.
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
    Tuneups don’t need to go, they just need to be used more selectively. Ronin, Nova and arguably Masacre are examples of champs that needed more than a tuneup, Angela too. P99 and Moleman are examples of champs that just needed values.

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

Maybe it’s not as evident to you as it is to me but when the buff guy has x allotted hours to improve champions and can use a small portion of those hours to tweak a few smaller things to one champion he can then use the remaining hours for those champions who need more of his attention while still lifting the floor up and increasing the desirability of the most champions as possible.

Ronin is cooler now and with more damage to boot. To bad so sad, Sorry you didn’t get what you wanted, this time. It’s something that will encourage more players to pick up and play the champion which is the goal here.
    It doesn't take longer to change values whether it's smaller or bigger. It takes the exact same amount of time. That's a one dev job and no more than an hour of their time at most (unless they're really incapable).

The other members of the dev team would also work on the other buffs so it doesn't take time away either. That's how a dev team works. It's not one guy doing all the buffs. Once a change is made, they can push it out to the testers EXTREMELY fast (I've had days where I've had 4 new test builds come out in a single day that all needed their own full smoke-tests).

Your assumption is that this will make more people want to pick up Ronin, and my assumption is that the buff was so minor that we won't see a larger mark up in Ronin usage outside of those who want to see what changed and realise it's not much at all.

But please, I'd like to hear your experience on working in Games Development as a professional to prove me otherwise wrong.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Because feelings? 1>0
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

It doesn't take longer to change values whether it's smaller or bigger. It takes the exact same amount of time. That's a one dev job and no more than an hour of their time at most (unless they're really incapable).

The other members of the dev team would also work on the other buffs so it doesn't take time away either. That's how a dev team works. It's not one guy doing all the buffs. Once a change is made, they can push it out to the testers EXTREMELY fast (I've had days where I've had 4 new test builds come out in a single day that all needed their own full smoke-tests).

Your assumption is that this will make more people want to pick up Ronin, and my assumption is that the buff was so minor that we won't see a larger mark up in Ronin usage outside of those who want to see what changed and realise it's not much at all.

But please, I'd like to hear your experience on working in Games Development as a professional to prove me otherwise wrong.
    I tire of your fallacious arguments. Here you have an argument from authority, your authority when the only authority is that of the Kabam Devs and office which you are not privy to.

Sorry you didn’t get what you wanted. Boohoo. Devil’s advocate? He should fire you, too emotionally invested imo.
  • AddictorAddictor Posts: 378 ★★★
    Yes tuning up is not necessary at this point in the game. It’s just a tiny consolation. The tuned up champs are still not used by most of ppl.
    ItsDamien said:

> So I can make very accurate assumptions on what they do and do not do, unlike your baseless assumptions on what they do or do not do.

As for being emotionally invested, I'm not the one who's throwing out minor childish insults and attempting to rile up some sort of angry response. I've giving my personal experience in the field of Game Development. I've informed you of the usual procedure. You've given no constructive feedback, or debate for that matter.

If you can't have a reasonable debate without lowering yourself to a childish attitude, then at least to me your words have no merit or standing for any form of discussion.

“If you can't have a reasonable debate without lowering yourself to a childish attitude, then at least to me your words have no merit or standing for any form of discussion.”

Well said, see a childish attitude to me is one of fallacious arguments which you’re posts are rife with, from the beginning. I’ll invite you to read and understand Brandolini's law aka the bs asymmetry principle to grasp why my response grew short as arguing against this fallacious line of reasoning is a waste of relative time/effort. Keep posturing on that pedestal you put yourself on.
  • TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,748 ★★★★★
    big words, much blah.