**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Hercules and Wolverine = romance synergy??

Comments

• Negative_100Negative_100 Posts: 1,650 ★★★★
    edited July 2021
    Joe35 said:

It’s the timing that bothers me more than anything. “Hey look at us, we put gay and bi characters in the game.” A lot of companies are doing to fit in now. Where were you when there was a lot more hate in the gay community?

You're just trying to be negative. It's pride month. There were other options instead of Hercules. And I think there are other characters already in the game that are gay.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

Joe35 said:

It’s the timing that bothers me more than anything. “Hey look at us, we put gay and bi characters in the game.” A lot of companies are doing to fit in now. Where were you when there was a lot more hate in the gay community?

You're just trying to be negative. It's pride month. There were other options instead of Hercules. And I think there are other characters already in the game that are gay.
    it’s not pride month anymore
    source: the rainbow crosswalk in my town that was paved over, just like the one in Chicago(?)
  • CrusherCrusher Posts: 305
    H3 is not loki
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,079 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021
    Here's my question, if you are an near immortal warrior who's travel the world multiple times over, do you mean to tell me that at some point you didn't get tired of just the same old same old and get a little curious? Do you really believe that he just exclusively dated women for a couple hundred years? Especially if you're someone who will regenerate from everything, so it's safe to say you're really not worried about any consequences...
    Post edited by Kabam Porthos on
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,259 ★★★★★
    gsil6374 said:

Why tho
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the comics
    And in Greek mythology Hercules wasn't...... you know........ I don't know if I'm allowed to say it
    But you know what I mean

My guy Herc is bi in the comics
    How about wolverine. I'm more sure he's not
    Mainstream Wolvie isn’t like @ItsDamien said, it’s one of the alternate comics. Honestly, I think it was a super weird choice for him to be with Herc, but in that alternate comic, he’s either gay or bi.
    Not a reflection of Kabam, but I think it’s super lazy when marvel takes existing straight characters and make them gay in alternate comics. I’m bi myself and a queer writer, so it really annoys me when they take straight characters and make them gay because it feels like they’re just doing it to pander to the gay community. What they should do—and what I do in my novels—is create new and original characters who are gay—like America Chavez.
    Herc, on the other hand, would be super weird if he wasn’t bi.
    As a black man myself, I hate when anyone takes white characters and makes them black. I would absolutely hate if they got a white guy to play Michael Jordan (my idol), 2-Pac, or Spawn. That's just my two cents.
    For a real person, yeah, that's weird. For a made up character (where it's not integral to the character), it usually doesn't matter. No good reason that Iron Fist couldn't be Middle Eastern or Inuit or whatever as long as he doesn't look like everyone else in K'un Lun. For Blue Marvel, it wouldn't make sense for him to be anything else but Black.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,259 ★★★★★
    Joe35 said:

Since they weren't openly supportive yesterday, you'd prefer it if they didn't bother today?
  • No_oneukNo_oneuk Posts: 1,430 ★★★★★
    Oh cool 7 dislikes for posting a pic of two guys kissing 😅 cute lol
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,079 ★★★★★

I think it's lazy to decide after 6 years that wolverine, one of the original characters released and well before the excuse of "battlerealm is different bro" to explain anything that doesn't make sense would be the champ used in the games first same sex romance synergy.

kabam couldve made a powerful statement with an original champ, instead it seems bandwagonny to me.

Except that like you said, this game is 6 years old and this synergy is based off of a storyline from 10 years ago, so this isn't something brand spanking new.

Maybe it hits different after the last couple of years and what we've seen with inclusion but again it's a not new thing.
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★

I think it's lazy to decide after 6 years that wolverine, one of the original characters released and well before the excuse of "battlerealm is different bro" to explain anything that doesn't make sense would be the champ used in the games first same sex romance synergy.

kabam couldve made a powerful statement with an original champ, instead it seems bandwagonny to me.

Modok has a romance synergy with Angela. Namor has romance with IW, who only has a friends synergy with Namor. Herc's synergy with Wolvie doesn't say much about Wolvie's feelings towards Herc.
    And the "all characters in the battlerealm are from many alternate timelines and universes" thing was introduced in act 1 as an explanation for why you can fight opponents with themselves
  • No_oneukNo_oneuk Posts: 1,430 ★★★★★
    Raichu626 said:

Modok has a romance synergy with Angela. Namor has romance with IW, who only has a friends synergy with Namor. Herc's synergy with Wolvie doesn't say much about Wolvie's feelings towards Herc.
    And the "all characters in the battlerealm are from many alternate timelines and universes" thing was introduced in act 1 as an explanation for why you can fight opponents with themselves
    Yes, you could say that when Hercules was dropped into the battlerealm, that version of hercules had a romance with wolverine but the wolverine in the battlerealm never had one with hercules - characters in this game are from all places in marvel, different universes, some are from movies and some are comics etc.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Followed the discussion a bit, nice to learn something new!
  • shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★

Why tho
    And in Greek mythology Hercules wasn't...... you know........ I don't know if I'm allowed to say it
    But you know what I mean

Just a heads up, in Greek mythology Hercules participates in both heterosexual and homosexual relationships, the latter of which is most highlighted in the golden fleece when Hercules leaves the party after the death of the boy he loves. Pretty much every Greek myth character is bi. So this character is consistent with history as well as the comics.
    Obviously the herc/wolverine dinosaur killing romance has been posted on here, but they've alluded to some things periodically in the main universe as well about wolverine being a little fluid. In particular there's a conversation between him and cyclops that seems to imply some things involving them and Jean grey I think, and definitely has some mutually flirtatious vibes involving bathing suits or something.
    I've got no problem with them adding this to wolverines repertoire, and I think it just adds to the character positively. But I also like to think of it like theybarent just tacking this on to an existing character. The social conditions are just at a place now where they can tell more of wolverines stories without it being a problem, just like now they can tell more of Hercules stories. Like, the stories already exist, we just get to see them now. Its partof engaging with the characters as real entities and diving into the stories completely.
    For Hercules sure. For Wolverine no it was definitely a later add on to an existing character (albeit an alternate version).
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

Why tho
    But you know what I mean

Just a heads up, in Greek mythology Hercules participates in both heterosexual and homosexual relationships, the latter of which is most highlighted in the golden fleece when Hercules leaves the party after the death of the boy he loves. Pretty much every Greek myth character is bi. So this character is consistent with history as well as the comics.
    Obviously the herc/wolverine dinosaur killing romance has been posted on here, but they've alluded to some things periodically in the main universe as well about wolverine being a little fluid. In particular there's a conversation between him and cyclops that seems to imply some things involving them and Jean grey I think, and definitely has some mutually flirtatious vibes involving bathing suits or something.
    I've got no problem with them adding this to wolverines repertoire, and I think it just adds to the character positively. But I also like to think of it like theybarent just tacking this on to an existing character. The social conditions are just at a place now where they can tell more of wolverines stories without it being a problem, just like now they can tell more of Hercules stories. Like, the stories already exist, we just get to see them now. Its partof engaging with the characters as real entities and diving into the stories completely.
    For Hercules sure. For Wolverine no it was definitely a later add on to an existing character (albeit an alternate version).
    I'll use a slightly personal experience here.

I have a friend who when I met him, had a girlfriend and presented as Hetero. After a while he started showing more of his Bi tendency. Eventually he and his girlfriend broke up. A few years later he started dating a guy, came out as gay, and is now happily married and has been for about 6 years now.

To say that a character over time can't have a change in their feelings is very disingenuous. Some people are absolutely hetero, some people are bi, and some people are homosexual. Some people are some other variation. Most people believe they're hetero until they finally find what makes them comfortable.
    ItsDamien said:

Why tho
    But you know what I mean

I have a friend who when I met him, had a girlfriend and presented as Hetero. After a while he started showing more of his Bi tendency. Eventually he and his girlfriend broke up. A few years later he started dating a guy, came out as gay, and is now happily married and has been for about 6 years now.

To say that a character over time can't have a change in their feelings is very disingenuous. Some people are absolutely hetero, some people are bi, and some people are homosexual. Some people are some other variation. Most people believe they're hetero until they finally find what makes them comfortable.
    We are talking about a entirely different version of wolverine though. The mainstream 616 version has always been hetero but I guess that doesn't really matter here since the battlerealm is home to several alternate versions of characters.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

ItsDamien said:

Why tho
    But you know what I mean

We are talking about a entirely different version of wolverine though. The mainstream 616 version has always been hetero but I guess that doesn't really matter here since the battlerealm is home to several alternate versions of characters.
    The point is that a character, even the main universe one, can develop different feelings over time. The guy has been alive for a very long time, there is no rule that his feelings can't change or that they won't change.

I get that people won't like it if they just suddenly changed the main universe version, especially if it's poorly written, but there's absolutely nothing to say that he will stay exactly the same as he was.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Why tho
    But you know what I mean

The point is that a character, even the main universe one, can develop different feelings over time. The guy has been alive for a very long time, there is no rule that his feelings can't change or that they won't change.

I get that people won't like it if they just suddenly changed the main universe version, especially if it's poorly written, but there's absolutely nothing to say that he will stay exactly the same as he was.
    You do have a point I suppose.
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,261 ★★★★
    This is Kabam's game, and based on their own decisions. It is based on but not beholden to "Marvel canon". If one was pedantic about Marvel canon, more offensive would be how Ghost can take down Nameless Thanos when Ghost is clearly less powerful in canon, or how Cyclops is the most effective champion in the game while not being that in the comics?

If one were to actually use 'canon', there are both historical examples and comic issue examples of Hercules/Wolverine romance. If one were to argue that it is not canon, then again, it goes to the first point, of why something is canon in a video game that is inspired by Marvel Battleworld only.

If people have an issue with Herc having a Romance synergy with Wolverine, that says more about them then anything. They can dress it up with reasons like "canon" or "pandering", but the core of it is their own feelings regarding orientation.

The same "argument" that people have about Hercules Romance synergy with Wolverine could be mapped onto Colossus Friends synergy with Deadpool. "They are not friends in canon, and their friendship in the Deadpool movie is non-canon since it is not in the comics!!!!"

At the end of the day, this is a video game. The synergy provides tangible benefit that helps the player.
  • Doctorwho13Doctorwho13 Posts: 586 ★★★
    altavista said:

This is Kabam's game, and based on their own decisions. It is based on but not beholden to "Marvel canon". If one was pedantic about Marvel canon, more offensive would be how Ghost can take down Nameless Thanos when Ghost is clearly less powerful in canon, or how Cyclops is the most effective champion in the game while not being that in the comics?

If one were to actually use 'canon', there are both historical examples and comic issue examples of Hercules/Wolverine romance. If one were to argue that it is not canon, then again, it goes to the first point, of why something is canon in a video game that is inspired by Marvel Battleworld only.

If people have an issue with Herc having a Romance synergy with Wolverine, that says more about them then anything. They can dress it up with reasons like "canon" or "pandering", but the core of it is their own feelings regarding orientation.

The same "argument" that people have about Hercules Romance synergy with Wolverine could be mapped onto Colossus Friends synergy with Deadpool. "They are not friends in canon, and their friendship in the Deadpool movie is non-canon since it is not in the comics!!!!"

At the end of the day, this is a video game. The synergy provides tangible benefit that helps the player.

I don’t get caught up in it all. It’s all basically zeitgeist when it comes down to it. At the time you are beholden to any character your primary feelings are based on your most enjoyable moments with that character. It’s not the change itself that is the issue but that the change occurred at all. The change alters the perceptions of that time and place. I see it all the time. Blue electro super man. Riley clone spider man.
  • WarlockjrWarlockjr Posts: 778 ★★★
    :00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 HERCULES IS GAY WOW LOL
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Are you surprised that a Ancient Greek has a same sex synergy, or that there is now a second version of Wolverine throughout the entire Marvel Multiverse that is also romantically involved with Hercules?

Nope
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★

Why tho
    But you know what I mean

My guy Herc is bi in the comics
    How about wolverine. I'm more sure he's not
    When you live for thousand of years , you get into some things
  • KingyakoopaKingyakoopa Posts: 203

yeah they had a thing in a different universe

Brokeback Mountain

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

yeah they had a thing in a different universe

Brokeback Mountain

there’s no Mysterio in this picture though
  • Noob_Master69Noob_Master69 Posts: 665 ★★★★
    edited July 2023

[terrible takes]

Bro really just looked up a 2 year old post on here to be homophobic???
    Get a life man
    Post edited by Kabam Jax on
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    edited July 2023

[homophobia]

are the heterosexual synergies sexual? Or do you think they're normal?

If so, check your homophobia, it's showing.
    Post edited by Kabam Jax on
This discussion has been closed.