**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

I propose a champion with unique method of growth

It doesn’t really matter which character it is specifically, it can be an existing one, it can be a Kabam original, but I think it’s about time we see a champion put into the game that is meta and super F2P friendly. We see this in place in many other mobile games, one example that comes to mind is Sharon Rogers from NetMarble’s Marvel Future Fight, she’s one of the strongest characters in that game and she’s obtainable completely for free and can be maxed out completely for free.

So here’s the idea, a champion whose utility is designed specifically for excelling in permanent challenging content such as RoL, LoL, AoL, and the recent Thronebreaker’s Gauntlet, and this champion will be given to all players as a 1-star once reaching a certain milestone (clear Act 1 of Book 1, or something idk). This champion will be the only one in the game with the ability to increase in tier from 1-star to 2-star, etc, and will have unique rank up materials different from the catalysts we use for all other champions. Remember the friendly Symbiote we got during that one event everyone loved? Similar to that but not the same, and permanent rather than for the one update. I don’t want this champion to simply be an easy mode for all the hard content, but maybe something that just makes all this content a bit more accessible to players with skills but lackluster rosters, you can even put the tier-up materials behind certain story milestones to ensure that the champ doesn’t become more powerful than when you guys intend on then being used. Maybe give them certain synergy partners that give them different utilities so that you can rely on them to do the bulk of the work for each path so long as you plan accordingly. Like a Swiss Army knife version of Aegon, who currently fills this role, but doesn’t grace everyone’s roster.

TL;DR - F2P champ that has an Aegon-adjacent part in the meta, so that the only limitation for hard content is skills, not roster.

Comments

• Grimv717Grimv717 Posts: 96

In other words, make the game easy for you. No.

My roster is stacked, content all cleared dawg, not for me, for everyone.
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    Well I can only speak for myself and as somebody who fits squarely into the description of what you're trying to do, no thank you.

Well I can only speak for myself and as somebody who fits squarely into the description of what you're trying to do, no thank you.

So you dislike the idea of a champion that grows with your account, that you can reliably use (different from rely on) for challenging content, that you will always have for sure? You prefer the current “pray for Aegon every crystal” meta?
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    Grimv717 said:

So you dislike the idea of a champion that grows with your account, that you can reliably use (different from rely on) for challenging content, that you will always have for sure? You prefer the current “pray for Aegon every crystal” meta?
    It just sounds idk.. Boring.

Maybe I'm not seeing it from your perspective because either your presentation lacks pizzazz or most likely because I'm not thronebreaker or anywhere close to becoming an endgamer which means I have nothing but challenges ahead of me, so I don't have the need, want and especially desire to try and reinvent the wheel when truth be told I still have a limited amount of Wheels.

But if you really believe in your idea then I think you should try and find a way to build it and share it with the world.
  • RockyshockyRockyshocky Posts: 102 ★★
    It does sound very boring. Having a meta-relevant/defining champion at a strong level for your progression permanently would really take the fun out of a lot of things. I'm not against unique ways to acquire champions per se, but the idea of them increasing in star level to have a permanent presence on your account is very unappealing to me. Most people I imagine would get quite bored of them.
    I'm much more interested in a champion like labyrinth ultron (earned through accomplishment vs. crystal) having a unique niche that he can fill.

It does sound very boring. Having a meta-relevant/defining champion at a strong level for your progression permanently would really take the fun out of a lot of things. I'm not against unique ways to acquire champions per se, but the idea of them increasing in star level to have a permanent presence on your account is very unappealing to me. Most people I imagine would get quite bored of them.
    I'm much more interested in a champion like labyrinth ultron (earned through accomplishment vs. crystal) having a unique niche that he can fill.

Labyrinth Ultron is a great example of a champion you can earn that’s complete trash and useless for all content.

I just don’t see how my idea is bad when Aegon exists and is the same concept but locked behind a lottery system.
  • the_eradicatorthe_eradicator Posts: 348 ★★★
    Somehow it just seems like you are not stacked and have not cleared all content. This game is based on acquiring counters to certain specific nodes and stuff and that brings the fun out in this game. If you were stacked and had like every champ or something you would appreciate the collection and the various diff types of content you can clear with the mix of variety in your roster. If you have one champ who can do everything the desire to acquire something that can will not be there anymore, in short the driving factor of unboxing champs that bring value to your team will not be there , which is the main point of this game.
  • the_eradicatorthe_eradicator Posts: 348 ★★★
    Grimv717 said:

Labyrinth Ultron is a great example of a champion you can earn that’s complete trash and useless for all content.

I just don’t see how my idea is bad when Aegon exists and is the same concept but locked behind a lottery system.
    The lottery system is the business model. Inescapable- for this game to function.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    Grimv717 said:

Sounds like playing a fighting game with only 1 character. There would be no need for any other characters in the game

Somehow it just seems like you are not stacked and have not cleared all content. This game is based on acquiring counters to certain specific nodes and stuff and that brings the fun out in this game. If you were stacked and had like every champ or something you would appreciate the collection and the various diff types of content you can clear with the mix of variety in your roster. If you have one champ who can do everything the desire to acquire something that can will not be there anymore, in short the driving factor of unboxing champs that bring value to your team will not be there , which is the main point of this game.

You’re right, guess all these other also super popular mobile games that do something similar are wrong for doing so. Idk man I just thought it would be fun to have a champ that grows with your account that isn’t worthless like 90% of the other champs, like I said, not asking for an easy mode champ, just something that’s there in your back pocket for the people who don’t have huge rosters. I guess I’m just bored of throwing Aegon, Ghost, and Quake at nearly everything, and thought a champ who is “customizable” via synergy and is appropriately strong for your progression level would be a neat way to change things up.
  • laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,472 ★★★★
    Grimv717 said:

You’re right, guess all these other also super popular mobile games that do something similar are wrong for doing so. Idk man I just thought it would be fun to have a champ that grows with your account that isn’t worthless like 90% of the other champs, like I said, not asking for an easy mode champ, just something that’s there in your back pocket for the people who don’t have huge rosters. I guess I’m just bored of throwing Aegon, Ghost, and Quake at nearly everything, and thought a champ who is “customizable” via synergy and is appropriately strong for your progression level would be a neat way to change things up.
    Or don't use aegon, quake, or ghost. Use someone else.
  • Draconic_12Draconic_12 Posts: 997 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021
    Grimv717 said:

Tbh if u had a “huge roster” as u say. You could use other champs then aegon quake and ghost
  • zaspacerzaspacer Posts: 115
    Grimv717 said:

@Grimv717 Is this just to retain a higher % of new players that have high skill?

For context, I have a R5 200Sig 5-Star Aegon, and I never use him. I'm just not good with him.

If the goal is to retain and fasttrack high skill players, then your suggestion could help that. Though as a low skill player I'd have hated having to force using Aegon as my best champ, as a player that is terrible with him and hates playing his playstyle (marathon, pattern perfect). And that might have made me quit as a low skill player. Also, I'm not sure the game needs more high skill f2pers, what role are they supposed to fill?

For overall player retention and smoother progression, I'd prefer a free BWCV. With players getting the next Star version up as they reach different milestones. She is a Champ that is a Swiss army knife for content hurdles, can heal up over long paths, but isn't so hard hitting that you would use her if you had better options for that content.
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    The closest to this I think would be the Symbiote event which was pretty cool. The issue with having a champion that is able to be relevant in all pieces of content and carry it with you is that you’re giving somebody a best in class quality champion which pretty much defies the whole point of the game which is to broaden and rank up your roster to complete content and flex on the haters and noobs. If you just gave out a champion that grows with your own progression then you don’t need to do anything in the game but complete story content because you will always have a appropriate champion.