**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Can MCOC become an esport game?

grfvbgrfvb Posts: 209 ★★
with new competitive modes coming out soon (ish).. do you reckon mcoc got potential to be competitive like dota or MK?

Comments

• PiviotPiviot Posts: 658 ★★★
    Haven’t they had tournaments before

They’ve tried to make it an esport
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    With live accounts, no. With the same set up at the live events, perhaps but it’d require a lot of work to iron out bugs and what’s working as normal etc. As players can’t play each other it’d be vs AI so there’d need to be a lot of research into performance metrics to define winners in what would, I presume be fairly tight at the pinnacle.
  • Sky_kittySky_kitty Posts: 245

grfvb said:

with new competitive modes coming out soon (ish).. do you reckon mcoc got potential to be competitive like dota or MK?

I liked how they did the summoner showdown as a stand-alone event by themselves tbh
    that was cool but it's a shame that not everybody could play just bc they were from one of the countries that couldn't participate. i would love to see the whole comunity playing showdown,not only some of them
  • IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
    As much as I love this game, no.
    Summoner showdowns are fun and would be better staying contained to the MCOC community.
    I personally just don’t believe this game could work very well for professional esports
  • zaspacerzaspacer Posts: 115
    edited July 2021
    I think it could if they built a mode for it, and then tuned it to deliver for the target format they wanted.

However, it might be very difficult to create such a mode in MCOC without messing up the existing game, community, and modes. Players are already stretched across content, and a new mode would be pulling players away from other modes/content, especially if players were motivated to train and stream the new mode. Also, MCOC's gated access to content/Champs/etc. would be a barrier for people to share or relate to high end players playing a game mode that isn't something they can do.

Kabam would probably be better off making a new game for it. And not risk poaching its own players and ghost towning its own existing content. While also making an experience that could be shared across all players. And something they could get entirely new players for.
  • MrInsanityMrInsanity Posts: 1,539 ★★★★
    Sky_kitty said:

grfvb said:

I liked how they did the summoner showdown as a stand-alone event by themselves tbh
    that was cool but it's a shame that not everybody could play just bc they were from one of the countries that couldn't participate. i would love to see the whole comunity playing showdown,not only some of them
    Take it up with the country then because Kabam couldn't control their laws