**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Are the fights local or streamed

When you fight an opponent, is the match strictly localized to your device or is it streaming from the mcoc server? If the game is determining opponent actions in the cloud that could be an issue. Matches should be played strictly on this device and results sent to the server.

Comments

• Superman69Superman69 Posts: 534 ★★★
    I don't think that's the case. Otherwise modders would just run through LoL without getting caught. Results of a legit (win) and a mod- fight would be the same.

Not sure though. Maybe they have some other methods of catching them.
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    The issue is that the game is still streaming in some fashion, even if the fight is local. I've been kicked out of fights halfway through because my signal dropped.

I've tested it a couple of times. I'll set my phone to airplane mode and then manually turn wifi on so it can only run on that signal. Then I'll start a ROL Winter Soldier fight and slowly start walking away from my house. Once the signal drops I'll get the "problems connecting" notice at the bottom of the screen and a few seconds later the screen will change to the "Connection lost" page. When I reconnect to the wifi, sometimes I'll get the option to start the match again from the beginning, other times the fight was fully cancelled and I lost 50% health.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    I've thought the same thing. I'm not exactly certain, but I believe it's a combination of both. Data is sent and received constantly, but the Fight itself is on the device. Various things are being sent like RNG and data for collecting. At least that's my assumption. I seem to remember it functioning the first way before because if the connection dropped, it would hang there after the Fight. Now, I've noticed a stream-like feel to it. Given their set up, I'm not sure it would be possible to separate the data from the Fight completely. No idea for sure. Just my observations.
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,403 ★★★
    edited November 2017
    every app runs the majority of it's **** locally. A limited batch of data is pushed back before and after fights, otherwise everything if run through server would be reeeeeally slow and veeeeery expensive and the company with that biz model would be out of business. Mods work by feeding (some) janky info back to servers, but there's always some stuff you can't fake held on server side, like unit info.
  • The_whiteknightThe_whiteknight Posts: 12
    edited November 2017
    It's local, why do you think when people hack for units etc it has to connect to the servers
  • Drummer16Drummer16 Posts: 324 ★★
    It's local, why do you think when people hack for units etc it has to connect to the servers

No, not at all. During a fight, there is most likely an underlying persistent connection to the server that is being sent or requesting data from the client and validating it on the server side. It most likely doesn't collect all data about a fight but it collects some important metrics to verify that an opponent is, for example, not modified locally to be standing still. No one except devs at kabam know what data they persist server-side and what data is just stored in memory until the fight is over. I doubt much, if anything, is stored long term about individual fights. Everything else like rewards, character changes, quest completion, etc is stored on the server in this thing called a database.

As far as hacking units, that doesn't make any sense unless there is/was some exploit in their purchasing system. Anything claiming to do that is pretty much guaranteed to be a scam.

Server-side code (e.g. validation of transactions, quest completion data, characters, etc.) cannot be circumvented, but it can be exploited if someone plays around with it enough and figures out an exploitable bug via their API..
  • LightvayneLightvayne Posts: 510 ★★★
    From what I can tell, the fight is local, but it still checks periodically if it is still connnected to the internet, probably to counteract any game hacking. This shouldn’t affect the fight at all, but there was something going around a week or so back that someone did some testing, that if you requested help (for energy or arena) and someone clicked that request while you were in the middle of a battle, the game would briefly lag up a small bit.
  • I_am_GrootI_am_Groot Posts: 646 ★★
    Superman69 wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case. Otherwise modders would just run through LoL without getting caught. Results of a legit (win) and a mod- fight would be the same.

Not sure though. Maybe they have some other methods of catching them.

In that case modders could fake the in-fights submits as the would fake the post-fight result.
    Sending in-fights submits is useless but mess legit players.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    I believe all of the data is sent to the server. How many hits you used, how many lights, mediums, heavies, specials, bleed and debuff's. How much you regenerate etc, is all stored per fight and sent off to the servers. From there they can analyze what your fight. If it took 1 hit to beat Winter soldier, they can see it, flag it, and ban.