Champion Spotlight - Thor (Ragnarok)

When an ancient evil, lurking for eons, is released from its shackles, the Asgardian God of Thunder is thrown into a whirlwind of chaos. Ripped from his familiar surroundings and stripped of his powers, Thor's only hope is to summon the warrior within, and fight his way back against impossible odds. With his kingdom shattered and his people in dire need, Thor must discover what it means to be a true leader.

Base Stats & Abilities

*All stats based on 4 Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99
Health: 17180
Attack: 1081
Max PI:
Without Signature: 3827
With Signature (99): 4742

Character Class: Skill

Basic Abilities: Power Gain, Auto-Block, Stun, Armor Break

Boon of the Gods
Activates for every 40 hits on the Combo Meter or whenever struck 20 times.
Fills to max Power over 5.5 seconds. This Power Gain is interrupted if Thor (Ragnarok) gets knocked down by a Special Attack. Boon of the Gods is not affected by Ability Accuracy and prevents Thor (Ragnarok) from gaining Power when struck by Special Attacks.

When Opponents Intercept Thor’s Dash
Thor (Ragnarok) has a 30% chance to use his shield to Auto-Block any attacks made while he is Dashing towards the opponent. This can trigger the Parry Mastery.

When an Attack Inflicts a Stun
Thor (Ragnarok) deals an additional 250% of that attack’s damage as Physical Damage if the opponent is suffering from Armor Break.

Special 1: Fearsome Fighter - Without Mjolnir, Thor (Ragnarok) must improvise and use his shield as a deadly weapon.
45% chance to Stun for 1.8 seconds, plus 55% chance if a Combo of 40 or more hits is maintained.

Special 2: The Warrior Within - Skilled with multiple weapons, Thor (Ragnarok) engages his opponent with a ferocious sword fighting style.
Breaks the opponent’s Armor, applying 1333 Armor Rating reduction for 10 seconds.

Special 3: God of Thunder - Thor (Ragnarok) discovers that his true power lies within, channeling lightning through his fists and electrifying opponents with each punch.
Shocks the opponent, dealing 540 Energy Damage over 5 seconds.
This Special Attack can only inflict up to maximum of 20% of the opponent’s max Health as damage.

Signature Ability: Thunder God's Wrath - After a Special 3, Thor (Ragnarok) is temporarily able to control lightning within his body.
- After a Special 3 Attack, Thor (Ragnarok) is able to control lightning within his body for 7-25 seconds. Thor (Ragnarok) has a 40% chance to inflict Shock whenever making physical contact with opponents, dealing 378 Energy Damage over 5 seconds.
- Inflicting Shock has a 16% chance to cause Stun and 40% chance to Armor Break. Additionally, each Shock stack reduces the opponent’s Ability Accuracy by 15%.
- Stun lasts for 2 seconds and Armor Break applies a 666 Armor Rating reduction for 6 seconds.

Synergy Bonuses

Not Afraid of Death
Thor (Ragnarok): Regenerates 10% of max Health when killing opponents.
Hela: Grants 10 Spirits of the Dead charges at the start of the fight.

Friend from Work
Thor (Ragnarok): +60% Attack when Thunder God’s Wrath is active.
Hulk: Becomes Indestructible for 5 seconds when below 20% Health.

Like Old Days
Thor (Ragnarok): 40% chance to activate a Combo Shield for 5 seconds when Struck.
Loki: Ascendant generates Power as long as Loki is below 2 bars.

Recommended Masteries

Pacify
Through his Signature Ability, Thor (Ragnarok) will be able to apply multiple stuns on the opponent. Pacify will further lower the opponent’s Ability Accuracy in additional to the reduction based on how many Shocks is active on the opponent.

Precision & Lesser Precision
Thor (Ragnarok) inflicts a lot of damage when he Stuns an already Armor Broken opponent through an attack. The additional damage is based on the hit so if Thor (Ragnarok) inflicts a Critical Hit, the additional damage dealt is also enhanced. Best way to do it is by doing a Special 2 Attack and then going for a Special 1 Attack right afterwards.

Despair
Thor (Ragnarok) is able to reliably Inflict Armor Breaks, Stuns and Shock Debuffs. Paired with Despair at max rank, he will be able to reduce the opponent’s Regeneration effects by 15% for each active Debuff.

Strengths

Auto-Block
Thor (Ragnarok) is able to Auto-Block when dashing towards an opponent, instead of being intercepted he will be able to even Stun opponents if the Parry Mastery is enabled.

Ultron, Iron Man
Combined with Despair, Thor (Ragnarok) is able to almost completely negate Regeneration effects by doing a Special 3 Attack and stacking Debuffs on the opponent.

Massive Power Gain Bursts
Thor’s Boon of the Gods is one of the best Power Gain abilities in the game, but make sure to spend all your Power before getting 40 hits in the Combo Meter to maximize the amount of Power gained.

Weaknesses

Black Widow, Elektra
Thor’s Auto-Block is affected by Ability Accuracy, enabling Champions with Ability Accuracy reductions to bypass it.

Green Goblin
This Champion has the ability to reduce Power Gain effects by 40% through his Cunning ability. This means Thor (Ragnarok) will not be able to get to his Special 3 Attack through his Boon of the Gods ability.

Comments

• Currently he is triggering auto-block at the same time he takes HP from the enemy, like if he did a direct hit.

Is this intended? Cause I don't see how could this be a fair mechanic ..
  • Batty_NumppoBatty_Numppo Posts: 232
    When fighting Rags with Wrath of the Gods, I used Widow’s SP3 and it somehow cancelled it. He was no longer electrified, causing shock or anything, but his description gives no mention that his sig ability can be disrupted. Is this a bug?
  • GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    Thor's synergy with Hela: "Regenerates 10% of MAX health while..."
    Does max health include node buffs?
    When fighting Rags with Wrath of the Gods, I used Widow’s SP3 and it somehow cancelled it. He was no longer electrified, causing shock or anything, but his description gives no mention that his sig ability can be disrupted. Is this a bug?

Following up on this: it’s not just Widow. With every character I go in and use a SP3 against him, it cancels his sig ability. This is a pretty unfair bug since his SP3 can’t destroy you and can quickly fill you to 3 bars of power, meaning that I could fight a super strong Rags, eat his SP3, immediately retaliate with my own SP3, and only suffer a max of 20% health loss plus shock damage over time.

Otherwise, if his sig would stay active, playing against Rags with his sig active would be the worst fight ever, since no one is shock immune.
  • Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    I don't understand why he's capped at 20% damage, sounds like a huge nerf from the start.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 2,895 ★★★★★
    edited November 2017
    Draco2199 wrote: »
    I don't understand why he's capped at 20% damage, sounds like a huge nerf from the start.

Imagine fighting a duped ragnarok on defence, he's noded up and you hit him 20 times. Instant sp3 instant KO. That's why.
  • GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★

Imagine fighting a duped ragnarok on defence, he's noded up and you hit him 20 times. Instant sp3 instant KO. That's why.

Isn't that what Kabam wants? I don't remember Kabam every nerfing a character because it.would be too OP on defence. On the contrary, they design certain characters specifically to be OP on defence (like Dorm and Mephisto)
  • Etaki_LirakoiEtaki_Lirakoi Posts: 480
    edited November 2017

Doesn’t it stop the power gain to right before he gets his 3rd special? Or was I just imagining that while fighting him?

Doesn’t it stop the power gain to right before he gets his 3rd special?

Not from my experience. Goes right up to 3 bars
  • GbSarkar wrote: »

Nope! It's his Base Health, but the maximum amount of Base Health, and not his current health.
    GbSarkar wrote: »

Isn't that what Kabam wants? I don't remember Kabam every nerfing a character because it.would be too OP on defence. On the contrary, they design certain characters specifically to be OP on defence (like Dorm and Mephisto)

I don't know what kabam thought process is here but I'm happy with it. On offense you're never gonna take more than 20% max health off your opponent in a tough fight so it won't affect him there. And in any case, after his sp3 you're screwed anyway because you're blocked right in the corner and if you hit him he shocks you. Then you die.
  • Vdh2008Vdh2008 Posts: 941 ★★★★
    I'm a little upset that there is such a MASSIVE difference between normal and sig ability... It looks to me that he is less than "meh" unduped, but becomes a bloody monster with his sig... Am I mistaken?

edited November 2017
    GbSarkar wrote: »

Nope! It's his Base Health, but the maximum amount of Base Health, and not his current health.

Nevermind I read it wrong :)
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 331 ★★★
    Two questions:
    1. His auto-block allows him to hit you right as the auto-block triggers, essentially doing damage on the same frame the block occurs. Is this the intended behavior?

2. While Thor is charged with lightning from his SP3, is there a limit to the number of shocks his SP2 can cause? This special has a ton of hits and you would expect it to build a decent amount of shock stacks but every video I've watched his SP2 causes 0 or 1 shocks every time.
  • EbbtideEbbtide Posts: 279 ★★
    For the Loki Synergy, does Loki's Ascendant time just get doubled for the second power bar gain? What I mean, does the second bar fill at the same speed as the first?

And was the 2-star Thor supposed to lack Synergies?
  • MadMarksMadMarks Posts: 155
    Yes, lokis power gain rate is the same depending on awakening level
  • MadMarksMadMarks Posts: 155
    You can stop Thor Ragnarok's power gain by dropping a special on him, it is actually quite easy to work around. manage your combos so you drop your special in the middle of him hitting 20 combo.
  • colbyscipio987colbyscipio987 Posts: 1,027 ★★
    well all i can say is thanks for the 2 star version of Thor raganorak. Now i don't have to grind. BTW I couldn't grind if i wanted to, because school cuts into my grind and I can't have phones out.
  • Carmel1Carmel1 Posts: 268
    Two questions:
    1. His auto-block allows him to hit you right as the auto-block triggers, essentially doing damage on the same frame the block occurs. Is this the intended behavior?

can anyone answer that please?
  • GbSarkar wrote: »

Most champions with significant power gain mechanics have weaker SP3 attacks. For example, Mordo and Hyperion both have relatively weak SP3s.
  • Quick one, I have a 4 star Hulk and 3 star Thor Ragnarok, but the synergy doesn't show?
  • 3-star champions don't always have all the sinergies that a 4-star champion has. So a 3-star Thor (Ragnarok) only has 1 synergy
  • Out of all the champions I have the only ones without synergy are the 1 star champions, they should at least grant one synergy bonus to the 2 star Thor Ragnarok
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Most champions with significant power gain mechanics have weaker SP3 attacks. For example, Mordo and Hyperion both have relatively weak SP3s.

Mordo, absolutely. I never considered Hype as having a weak SP3; in fact, I think it’s quite strong. When damage-over-time abilities accompany SP3’s, that’s when I think they nerf the damage. Like Deadpool. And Rags fits this as well; not only for the shock that immediately follows, but for the unavoidable stacks of shock you’ll sustain by attacking him while he has Thunder God’s Wrath.

• LightvayneLightvayne Posts: 281 ★★
    I actually got him as a 5* from an uncollected crystal. He is pretty fun to play as, but damage so far seems underwhelming. I believe he needs to be duped to get the best use out of him. The Auto block feature is nice for those failed intercept tries.
    Carmel1 wrote: »
    Two questions:

Personally I think it is intended. If you are running full speed at someone and they suddenly throw a brick wall in front of you and you run head first into it, I pretty sure that would hurt like hell, therefore, damage taken :P
  • I know that Thor seems pretty strong when awakened already but am I the only one who thinks it strange that a champ with a big shield doesn't have extra block proficiency or perfect block?
  • CrusherCrusher Posts: 232
    Lightvayne wrote: »
    I actually got him as a 5* from an uncollected crystal. He is pretty fun to play as, but damage so far seems underwhelming. I believe he needs to be duped to get the best use out of him. The Auto block feature is nice for those failed intercept tries.
    Carmel1 wrote: »
    Two questions:

Personally I think it is intended. If you are running full speed at someone and they suddenly throw a brick wall in front of you and you run head first into it, I pretty sure that would hurt like hell, therefore, damage taken :P
    Don't use logic......here.....
    I had high hopes for Thor but after getting him and playing him even with Hulk synergy he's just an average champ sadly.
    Is his Boon of the God’s power gain affected by power gain boosts on war nodes?