**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Revamped High Ground : My thoughts after War 1 of S29

My alliance bounces between Tier 2 and Tier 3 for P3 rewards usually.

We started season 29 in Tier3, and faced high ground in our first war, High Ground (2)

Above is the description. And below are the champions that are affected.

Champion Pool:
MODOK, Airwalker, Nova, Ironman (Infinity War), Magneto, Professor X, Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme, Storm (Pyramid X), Guardian, Ebony Maw, Wasp, Human Torch, Magneto (House of X), Silver Surfer, Symbiote Supreme, Red Goblin, Green Goblin, Captain Marvel, Rogue, Vulture, Blackbolt, Storm, Phoenix, Yellowjacket.

From the first glance you can see the pool includes
1) champions that are hard to parry
2) Champions with multi hit difficult to dodge specials
3) champs with a bunch of evade/ miss/ autoblock mechanics.

The new changes also penalize champs that directly countered high ground by either 1) bursting down champs 2) bypassed miss and benefitted from energy attacks 3) specialized in non contact control of the fight.
These include doom, sentinel, g99, cable, HT, domino synergy, guardian (to a degree)who are fairly popular war attackers.

The new high ground also ramped up the speed of these charges and the amount of damage done by each charge, forcing summoners to keep these charges down.

Where we fight, defenders are mainly r3, and we also have a fair number of r3.

The problem comes in when paired with various nodes that limit attacks, or shut down a lot of basic attack/specials and lowers the tempo of the fight, making it close to impossible to control these charges, and necessitating a lot of block damage due to the mechanics of the fight.

Direct counters to energy damage include guardian, YJ, Sorc, WM and bishop. These may or may not be viable depending on the nodes.

Every high ground fight ive engaged in, with close to perfect play in intercepts, limiting blocked hits , fights have ended with 5-7 charges on the opponent, which causes a minimum of 5k-7k damage per blocked hit+ the damage of the blocked it itself. case in point, i fought an r3 imiw on stunning reflection with magneto, and played very well taking only 2 blocked hits until he got to 7-8% health,,, where he threw a ranodm combo ender 92 hits) and killed me instantly on block.

I enjoy skill based mechanics, but this unavoidable damage sort of mechanics feel like siphon, on steroids. Atleast the attacker tactics (albeit after a season or two of complaining) kind of helped siphon attackers, this does not have that at all.
A revamp to high ground was not required, and we can expect to see more complaints as the season drags on.
We will try to stay in t2, because untouchables is FAAAAR easier to handle.
We ended up winning our war, our high ground defenders got the bulk of the kills, highlighting how tough the tactic can be.
This overtuned unavoidable damage back tactic definitely needs rebalancing.

Comments

• KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,416 ★★★★★
    Yeah it's a change designed to suck potions and revives. That's all.
    Can't say I expected anything different though. People told them it wasn't a good change and yet here we are.
  • CrusaderjrCrusaderjr Posts: 1,059 ★★★★
    making our champs lose burst amounts of damage through no fault of the player always seems to be the fall back mechanic that they fall to, im surprised i havent see degen nodes in war, like "close combat".
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Yup, it’s strange how fast they gave the charges but can’t combo fast enough to reduce them.

I had a 100 hit combo on silver surfer and he still had 8 charges. One block hit took 30% off.
  • KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,416 ★★★★★
    Jaded said:

Yup, it’s strange how fast they gave the charges but can’t combo fast enough to reduce them.

I had a 100 hit combo on silver surfer and he still had 8 charges. One block hit took 30% off.

Yeah you need to time the combo as well. Which is dumb. Plus having no cap, adding the damage really fast. And then some of the top champs who are good against these defenders are neutered.
    Really doesn't make any sense.
  • TheAngryOneTheAngryOne Posts: 436 ★★★
    Soon I will be going to stay away from AW as long as unfair global nodes are in the game. We try to only clear a limited amount of lanes and beat the boss so we get a couple of points while lowering our war rating. Have to say I don't enjoy war with defense tactics active. Simply not worth the stress.
  • They obviously havent tested it out themselves. We faced a p2 alliance that fell to t3, and won, because they were caught unawares as to how tough this crappy tactic is. Healing is through the roof with r3 defenders.
  • Geralt_123Geralt_123 Posts: 595 ★★★
    I don't play high tier wars but it seems horrible.
    I can feel how much terrible this change is
    Seems like they are forcing players intentionally to use items and doing changes which isn't adding anything valuable.
    War needs to be revamped