**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Does Punisher 2099 need his awakened ability to be good?

OmedennOmedenn Posts: 863 ★★★
edited October 2021 in Strategy and Tips
Just want to know if he needs to be awakened. Just gotten him and have all the materials to R3 him, only don’t know if he needs to be duped
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• Total_Domin01Total_Domin01 Posts: 1,015 ★★★★
    I'm thinking that his dupe only gives him a Regen at 15%, if that's all then no
  • OmedennOmedenn Posts: 863 ★★★
    And yeah, have a capIW at r2 as well
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,673 ★★★★★
    Omedenn said:

@Ercarret this comment is much appreciated! If you would be a salesman coming at my doorstep I would 100% buy a P2099 from you.
    I have almost all recourses to take him to R3 (missing two t5b and some iso) and might do it. Sounds like a fun champ and already enjoyed using him in ROL when I got him

Happy punishing!

I enjoy talking about him. I tend to like quirky champions that aren't at the top of most people's tier lists and it's fun to explain their worth to people sometimes.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,280 ★★★★★
    I totally agree with @Ercarret

Despite being Unawakened, mines now R3 (and I'm someone who needs to be selective. I've no regrets.

However two of my other top champs are R3 CAIW (also Unawakened) and CGR: Punisher 2099 has great synergies with both. If I didn't have them, I might not play with him so much.

I've also just put a single point into Collar Tech, and it's a marked improvement for him.

I didn't think it would be at first; but it's about marginal gains: In Overrun, his opponents usually gain 10% Power. With a single point in Collar Tech, they gain 6% Power. That's a 40% improvement, from the perspective of the guy playing with P2099.

So he's great for shutting down a lot of tricky opponent/nodes like Magik or Apocalypse, nodes like Footloose, etc.

Also: his main abilities don't require any Power, buffs or debuffs (although it's nice if he can inflict Armour Break). Overdrive provides his Power denial and Attack bonus; but it's totally seepassive and ignores effects like Plagued mind. So whilst he can't manage Power Gain effects, he's pretty good on nodes like Buffet and Masochism, too.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★

I totally agree with @Ercarret

Despite being Unawakened, mines now R3 (and I'm someone who needs to be selective. I've no regrets.

However two of my other top champs are R3 CAIW (also Unawakened) and CGR: Punisher 2099 has great synergies with both. If I didn't have them, I might not play with him so much.

I've also just put a single point into Collar Tech, and it's a marked improvement for him.

I didn't think it would be at first; but it's about marginal gains: In Overrun, his opponents usually gain 10% Power. With a single point in Collar Tech, they gain 6% Power. That's a 40% improvement, from the perspective of the guy playing with P2099.

So he's great for shutting down a lot of tricky opponent/nodes like Magik or Apocalypse, nodes like Footloose, etc.

Also: his main abilities don't require any Power, buffs or debuffs (although it's nice if he can inflict Armour Break). Overdrive provides his Power denial and Attack bonus; but it's totally seepassive and ignores effects like Plagued mind. So whilst he can't manage Power Gain effects, he's pretty good on nodes like Buffet and Masochism, too.

I find it easier to invest in the petrify mastery. One point and during stuns the opponent gains no power from hits. You can't go below zero, for that particular champion, investing in more than 1 point isn't necessary, as long there isn't any energize in play.
  • Pdogg614Pdogg614 Posts: 78
    I don’t think he needs the awaken at all, I do have a r3 duped p2099 and r3 capiw I run a lot so I do have him at his best.

I did r3 him prior to the dupe tho as I found it was a decent enough with cap, IMO without cap or the dupe he’s still good but with one or both he’s just amazing as it makes him so fast to get into the damage and power rate reduction.
  • Amadeo01Amadeo01 Posts: 212 ★★★
    Does anyone play him with suicide masteries? The gameplay I've seen tends to rely on S1 spam to stay in overdrive.
  • Amadeo01 said:

Does anyone play him with suicide masteries? The gameplay I've seen tends to rely on S1 spam to stay in overdrive.

he cant be played with suicides. He depends on specials to keep his battery up.
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,673 ★★★★★
    Amadeo01 said:

I generally go for his SP2 in order to get that massive armor break. As such, you fall out of overdrive a bit more and it takes a while to get back, but you don't throw as many special attacks. If you go for the SP3, he places a decent degeneration on the opponent for 20 seconds. While that is active, they can 90% less power. So, basically as if you were in overdrive. I haven't really tested this out so I can't say for sure, but it theoretically should allow you to deny them power while you're in overdrive's off-cycle.

He is by no means a suicide-"friendly" champ but you don't necessarily have to spam SP1s all the time. That is one way to play him - and admittedly one way I've used on several occasions as well - but it's not the end-all, be-all of his possible rotations.

However, if you do end up running suicides, you'll probably have to turn off collar tech. That was ultimately what made me switch those masteries off. I really, really prefer him with collar tech and the absolute certainty it brings with his power control.
  • OmedennOmedenn Posts: 863 ★★★
    Thanks guys! Happy with all information I could gather here. Makes my decision a little bit easier 😁