**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

30 Minute Alliance Quest Timers

Can someone of authority (an admin) please explain to us the benefit of keeping the 1 hour timer, and not permanently keeping 30 minutes?

I mean we already have to sell our souls to play this game (I'm an android user there's a load screen for everything which at 5-7 seconds per is a ridiculous waste of time), arena helps are about the same per request.

This game gets slower and slower, is there a secret profit behind this that we don't understand? Making us stay up all night trying at advance only makes us want to quit, slowing down progress to my knowledge doesn't increase spending. I don't think to myself "hmm. Since I'm sitting here for an hour maybe I'll purchase some ridiculously overpriced potions". Is the timer set at 1 hr to increase AQ fails across the board? Again doesn't increase spending, just makes for frustration and slower character advancement, oh and really separates the whales from your average player when they complete at a much greater %

So please someone of sane mind, explain the timer to me

Comments

• spumingtonspumington Posts: 350 ★★
    Here we go...
  • HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    They already stated that it's going to stay at 1 hour timers and only move to 30 minutes for downtimes or special events. Best to move on cause arguing this will just leave you with disappointment.
  • RiegelRiegel Posts: 1,088 ★★★★
    edited May 2017
    The reason was something like they have done a lot of research on this and something to do with sleep patterns and how they have to keep it fair for people who are asleep when AQ starts. I'm not sure how that all worked, but yeah something like that.
  • FingerPicknGoodFingerPicknGood Posts: 44
    The past justification was that with shorter timers, teams might get frustrated because 1 player is away (i.e., asleep) and everyone's waiting on them.

I don't really buy that logic, since, well, whenever there's serious bugs one of the first things they do to help out is reduce the timers! So... I wouldn't expect an official justification that makes sense. It's a game mechanic. It is what it is.

These alliance events are geared towards teams of very active players. In a 24 hour period, if you aren't able to log in at least once every 6-8 hours, there's no way you can be an effective participant in AQ. I'd actually say they expect people to check in every 4-5 hours. Yeah, it'd sure be nice, with lower timers, it could be more irregular, because life happens and whatnot. But hey, maybe you just need to accept the 60 minute timers, set expectations, communicate well, and plan accordingly.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

I would say that mods have responded to this over and over again. To say that it has been answered implies that actual reasons why 1 hour timers are better have been provided. This is not the case. Mods have stated that AQ was designed for 1 hour timers which is irrelevant if 1/2 hour timers improve the game play. We have been told of "detrimental effects" of 1/2 hour timers which is contrary to the actual experience of 99.99% of the community. And Webmaster chimed in early and often with the "many reasons." We aren't getting 1/2 hour timers because then they won't have a bone to throw us when they break the game.
  • MayhemEffectMayhemEffect Posts: 112

I would say that mods have responded to this over and over again. To say that it has been answered implies that actual reasons why 1 hour timers are better have been provided. This is not the case. Mods have stated that AQ was designed for 1 hour timers which is irrelevant if 1/2 hour timers improve the game play. We have been told of "detrimental effects" of 1/2 hour timers which is contrary to the actual experience of 99.99% of the community. And Webmaster chimed in early and often with the "many reasons." We aren't getting 1/2 hour timers because then they won't have a bone to throw us when they break the game.

those responses are answers. They are just answers that you do not like. " the mode is built and tuned for 1 hour timers, the maps are tuned for 1 hour timers, and this encourages strategy, and necessitates time management."

If you do not like time management and strategy, you need to reconsider what modes you play.

those responses are answers. They are just answers that you do not like. " the mode is built and tuned for 1 hour timers, the maps are tuned for 1 hour timers, and this encourages strategy, and necessitates time management."

If you do not like time management and strategy, you need to reconsider what modes you play.

LOL what if I like time management and strategy and find that 1/2 hour timers are better for both? False dilemma much?

• MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★
    13.665 minute timers are clearly the correct option.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★

LOL what if I like time management and strategy and find that 1/2 hour timers are better for both? False dilemma much?
    It's only a false dilemma if it's an argument. It's a fact (a part of the game's design) you are treating as an argument to straw man.
  • spumingtonspumington Posts: 350 ★★
    MarzGroove wrote: »

I could get behind this.
    CoatHang3r wrote: »

It's only a false dilemma if it's an argument. It's a fact (a part of the game's design) you are treating as an argument to straw man.

Whatever man. I know what a false dilemma is. The implication was that I either accept the one hour timers or I don't like time management and strategy. The fact that I am bothering to respond to you, coathanger, could be evidence that I don't like time management I suppose... And again, the fact that it is part of the original design is not proof that the game works better that way. Original designs can be flawed. Later developments can improve them.
    considering that your half hour timers reduce the need for time management and strategy, your argument is a contradiction.
  • C0atHang3rC0atHang3r Posts: 78
    MarzGroove wrote: »

I groove with MarzGroove.
  • Alright guys,

Since this is a new forum, I guess we can answer this one more time. There's a lot of examples we've used of some frustrations that users can have with shorter timers as the main reasons we aren't doing them. The sleep thing was ONE example, as was the international alliances, but we also gave one huge reason that people seem to forget.

Alliance Quest maps are designed for 1 hour timers. The amount of nodes, fights, paths, and difficulty is tuned to one hour timers. The mode is all about coordinating with your Alliance, and teaming up. This includes who moves where, and when.

That is the major reason. Closing this thread now.

considering that your half hour timers reduces the need for time management and strategy, your argument is a contradiction.
This discussion has been closed.