Options

Thoughts on this month's Cav EQ?

Comments

• Options
    jtdevlinjtdevlin Posts: 21
    Indifferent
    I initially hated it when I was looking from the perspective of being restricted to only the champions that matched the tags. What I soon realized, is that this CEQ now more just gives boosts to those champions. It does not make it so that other champions are not viable.

For a lot of the quests this month, I just built a team ignoring the tags, and had no issues. When I did have champions ranked that matched the tags, I would bring them and enjoy the boost.

I think in the past, CEQ restricted you to only the class champions, and made others unplayable for the paths at least. As a relatively new Thronebreaker, this made some quests really easy, but others very difficult.

So, while less people be may able to enjoy the benefits of the nodes, I believe that more will be able to get through and explore CEQ by using their normal go-to champions.

• Options
    GarloGarlo Posts: 210 ★★
    Love it
    I love it, I currently used a lot of forgotten champions (like Iron fist 6 * r1).
    I don't feel that the difficulty has increased. The missions are perfect to be able to complete them with 5 * r4 even 4 * r5.
    The last EQs was boring to me.
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    Love it

The power lock in 1.2 is dumb. Makes the gameplay so slow especially when the ai decides to become passive.

Do better kabam.

I assume u r talking about side EQ ... Dont use any attackers tagged #Villain and u would be fine...
  • Options
    Love it
    jtdevlin said:

I initially hated it when I was looking from the perspective of being restricted to only the champions that matched the tags. What I soon realized, is that this CEQ now more just gives boosts to those champions. It does not make it so that other champions are not viable.

For a lot of the quests this month, I just built a team ignoring the tags, and had no issues. When I did have champions ranked that matched the tags, I would bring them and enjoy the boost.

I think in the past, CEQ restricted you to only the class champions, and made others unplayable for the paths at least. As a relatively new Thronebreaker, this made some quests really easy, but others very difficult.

So, while less people be may able to enjoy the benefits of the nodes, I believe that more will be able to get through and explore CEQ by using their normal go-to champions.

Exactlyyy finally someone who noticed...
    The tags get boosted... But there is no punish for not using as opposed as the class one...
    This is actually better!!!
    U can do a longer fight with your top champ that cant counter the node without buffs.. or u can do it with a tagged chamo WITH buffs.
  • Options
    TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    Indifferent
    I just think it is too difficult for a monthly cavalier event. Way too many limitations on the champ you can bring as well. Who wants to deal with no parry, plus unstoppable for a monthly event? It throne breaker difficulty for a Cavalier monthly event.

Class benefits give you far more options and makes sense in my opinion. Now if you raised the rewards I would have 0 complaints because overall it was fun but for these rewards its not worth the effort.
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,593 ★★★★★
    Hate it
    Shepard69 said:

This is the most demotivated I've been to do the highest EQ relative to my progression in 4 years since I started.
    Every single lesson that should have been learned from the other CEQ iterations have been thrown out the window for some sort of weird experimentation. again.

Good idea - terrible, terrible execution and "announcing" it a day prior is just typical tbh.

100% agree. Overly complicated -- remember when they said they would simplify things?

I hate having to do so much research and planning when if they had implemented it well -- for example, a filter for the relevant champs -- it could be interesting. I've skipped it so far; as you said, I'm demotivated.
  • Options
    Indifferent

Shepard69 said:

This is the most demotivated I've been to do the highest EQ relative to my progression in 4 years since I started.
    Every single lesson that should have been learned from the other CEQ iterations have been thrown out the window for some sort of weird experimentation. again.

Good idea - terrible, terrible execution and "announcing" it a day prior is just typical tbh.

100% agree. Overly complicated -- remember when they said they would simplify things?

I hate having to do so much research and planning when if they had implemented it well -- for example, a filter for the relevant champs -- it could be interesting. I've skipped it so far; as you said, I'm demotivated.
    I don't even bother reading the nodes. I skim and figure the rest out during the fights. Not the best strategy but all that reading becomes cumbersome.
  • Options
    TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,761 ★★★★★
    Hate it

The mercenary quest is an abomination, the AI doesn’t play into reparry, it throws a heavy, the passive bleed is way too short, and unstoppable has been slapped on it just as a final sigh-worthy mechanic. Not to mention only like 8 champions available in the pool who can bleed on basic attacks, as relying on specials isn’t enough with the timer. And two of those champions are trophy champs, Platpool and Weapon X.

This is something we agree on.
  • Options
    BocksaroxBocksarox Posts: 329 ★★★
    Love it
    I think this is a difficulty more fitting of a Thronebreaker account. The idea is good, but most Cav players have too limited of a roster to make this an enjoyable experience. However, if you have champs ranked with the proper tags, it is pretty fun. This has given me a reason to dust off some of my old favorite champs.
  • Options

These pools of champions absolutely need to be increased, and not just to the same as classes, but more. People tend to rank up champions based on classes. “Oh my skill class is weak, better rank up this champ”. Nobody ever said, oh wow, I don’t have many A-Force champs ranked up, better fill up this gap in my roster. Most rosters have a fairly even split throughout classes. To accommodate that fact, I’d say the tags should cover around 40-45 champions, to increase the likelihood that people have suitable champions.

Actually, I disagree, but for a very specific reason: smaller tags offer an opportunity that larger ones kind of don't.

What's that opportunity you might ask? Well, most people are thinking about the lag filters as roster gates. If you don't have those champions, the content will be excessively difficult. You *could* overcome that with sufficient skill, but that's true everywhere in the game. For most players, there would be super-strong incentive to grow roster to encompass all the roster gates in the game. That's cool, but depending on where the content is, the gates have to have some reasonable size. In something like Cav EQ, the gates have to be reasonably big as you mention.

But that's not the only way to use the Cav nodes. They could be used as bonuses instead of gates. Instead of "if you don't have these champs you're going to struggle" they could be "if you happen to have one of these champs, lucky you you're going to breeze this one." I'm not saying this month does that, exactly. But *most* of this month is something where you can safely ignore the nodes and still get by without a ton of difficulty without using any of the tagged champs.

I've seen some people say "that's bad design." It is not. It is actually a good option to have among all the Cav node combinations: some can feel like gates, but it would be nice if some of them felt like occasional bonuses. You don't *have* to have them, but for the players that do it is a nice to have.

Again, I'm not saying this month achieves this perfectly. But it does take a step in that direction, in that many maps genuinely do not require the tagged champs at all, and the tagged champs just offer some additional benefit you can take or leave. Difficulty is relative, so any bonus could be perceived as a "must have" by some players. But in my opinion, the average difficulty of this month's Cav EQ is roughly where I think Cav EQ should be completely ignoring the buffs. Which means having the tagged champs is a bonus, not having them is not a penalty.

There has to be a balance, and Kabam can get this balance wrong. But I think there should be a range of "filters" on the Cav nodes, some big and some small. The big ones can be balanced between carrot and stick: if you have the champs things are easier, if you don't have them things will be harder than average. The small ones need to be shifted over: there's no penalty if you don't have them, but a sizeable bonus if you do. Mixing these up will give Cav EQ some beneficial diversity without overcomplicating things: roster checks will feel less like penalties and more like balanced rewards.

I said at the top that you can't really do this with larger filters Why not? Well, you can't make filters so big that everyone has the champs, and then make the node all benefit and no penalty. That's just making the content universally easier. If you make the filters big enough that you're reasonably sure everyone has the champs, you have to design the difficulty on that assumption, and the difficulty will have to rise, and it won't be the players who have the champs that get a benefit, it will be the rare player that doesn't have the champs that get a huge penalty. When the filter is small, you *know* most players won't have them, so you balance the content on that assumption, and the content gets easier, and the few people who do have those champs get a bonus.

I'm still thinking about the Cav nodes (and I haven't fully explored the maps yet with different teams for test purposes) so I'm still not sure what my final judgment on the nodes is. But so far, I'm not hating them as much as the early reviews do. They aren't - mostly - necessary, and I don't find that lack of necessity to be a problem. It might even be a good thing, if leveraged properly.

There is something I feel is problematic about this month's Cav specifically, but that's a subject for another post. Basically, I think the content takes up too much head space. The content isn't more difficult at least on paper, if you understand how it works. But processing everything a player needs to process to play through it effectively is a lot higher than is typical, and probably something most players are not accustomed to. And probably higher than it should be on average.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,210 ★★★★★
    Love it
    I'm fine with the paths, and most of the bosses, but the Luke Cage boss nodes in 1.1 are kinda a douche move. Unblockable, unstoppable, and death touch, combined with an AI that won't throw specials and a game that has dex issues. Cage ain't easy to dex even when the inputs are working right.
  • Options
    TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,761 ★★★★★
    Hate it

I'm fine with the paths, and most of the bosses, but the Luke Cage boss nodes in 1.1 are kinda a douche move. Unblockable, unstoppable, and death touch, combined with an AI that won't throw specials and a game that has dex issues. Cage ain't easy to dex even when the inputs are working right.

I was using stark spidey against him and even though he was taunted, he refused to throw specials.
  • Options
    Love it
    This is what happens When fan boys only follow what youtubers tell u to rank up...
  • Options
    O_Deadpool_OO_Deadpool_O Posts: 145 ★★
    edited December 2021
    Hate it
    It is a ****, not a quest.
    Especially 3.1, with guardians.. Extremely stupid and unfriendly.
    Hey, Kabam, have you tried to beat Juggernaut??
  • Options
    Indifferent
    Nix2222 said:

It sure feels like Kabam heard some players wanting more difficult content and assumed everyone was of that opinion and they applied it all over. Some people don’t want crazy complex nodes and levels of re-parry or only intercepting, especially with all the parry/dex issues. I have zero interest in getting stressed for a mobile game. Create more solo objectives with champ limitations if people want difficult. It’s easier for players to make content difficult if they want it than the other way around. Use 4*’s only. Also, create some content where we can use synergies more freely. The game has lots of cool synergies that I don’t feel like I get to use because everything needs very specific counters.

I was one of the ones asking for difficult content but if you look back at my messages I said only if the rewards match the difficulty and they currently don't. So Kabam still didn't give me what I asking for.
  • Options
    Indifferent
    Nix2222 said:

It sure feels like Kabam heard some players wanting more difficult content and assumed everyone was of that opinion and they applied it all over. Some people don’t want crazy complex nodes and levels of re-parry or only intercepting, especially with all the parry/dex issues. I have zero interest in getting stressed for a mobile game. Create more solo objectives with champ limitations if people want difficult. It’s easier for players to make content difficult if they want it than the other way around. Use 4*’s only. Also, create some content where we can use synergies more freely. The game has lots of cool synergies that I don’t feel like I get to use because everything needs very specific counters.

This is also true. I stopped looking at synergies about a year and half ago. I occasionally use Domino trinity, I stopped using Corvus proxima since map 8 started, and Apocalypse synergies are still relevant. I can't think of many others.
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,131 ★★★★
    Hate it
    For my first run through, I've run a combo of apoc, cable and then wolverine, white mags and corvus (all 3/45 bar wolverine) on every level, only swapping out wolverine for 2/35 miles on the unblockable level and 3/45 CGR on the last level.

There have been zero levels where any of my other 35 or so 5/65 or r2/3 with the tags that would have been better.

From that alone, it's making me wonder what the point of the tags were. The only level that I've benefited from the tag boost is the last one with corvus. Nick was ok too with wolverine horseman but that's not using tags.

Maybe on additional runs, if I bother, I'll use them. The last level for example; with the trick being to armor break or nullify, was not too bad. But illuminati? That's really only red mags as useful. It's just the lack of options; you'll be sound on that level if you have corvus, cull, cgr, hood or morningstar ranked. Which I do! But sucks if you don't.

All the other levels were just long, plus Unstoppable, unblockable, power gain.

Maybe that's the issue; some levels, if you don't have the tags feel painfully long and even with them, the unstoppable and unblockable. It's just not fun.

And I agree with the comment above; we pretty much universally hated root and yet you bring it back. It really needs to go.
  • Options
    Noise72Noise72 Posts: 337 ★★★
    Love it
    I am personally having a lot of fun with it. Once you find good options for each chapter its a breeze. I do have a pretty deep roster so I can see lower level players having problems with it. But this has always been the case with Cav difficulty.
  • Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,395 ★★★★★
    Haven't done Cav EQ in months and probably won't for a while
    I haven't done Cav EQ for months as I've found it repetitive. I tried a path on this one and gave up on the first fight.
  • Options
    Love it

I haven't done Cav EQ for months as I've found it repetitive. I tried a path on this one and gave up on the first fight.

So u stop doing something for months cause it was repetitive.. they switch it up and u gave up....🤔
  • Options
    JaggedSacJaggedSac Posts: 56
    edited December 2021
    Tigra whooped my buttocks after I got to her just by using Howard. Ended up using multiple revives. Anyone got any advice?