**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

A New View on Resources in the Contest

2»

Comments

• NewlinstheoryNewlinstheory Posts: 1,012 ★★★★
    Hort4 said:

At least everyone on here got a 6* Generic AG from cyber weekend.

I didn’t, didn’t think it was worth the money since i was going to need to pay for it and i still stand by it imo lol
  • Hort4Hort4 Posts: 494 ★★★

Hort4 said:

At least everyone on here got a 6* Generic AG from cyber weekend.

I didn’t, didn’t think it was worth the money since i was going to need to pay for it and i still stand by it imo lol
    Didn’t cost money. Just units that can be saved in advance.
  • OGAvengerOGAvenger Posts: 1,101 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Now the thing I dont get is, why does Kabam reward players for hoarding massive amounts of materials when they encourage summoners to use them, and even talk about the slowing of servers with mass hoarding.

Two things. First, mass hoarding in general doesn't cause server slowdowns. Kabam explained this previously. Crystal clean ups improve server performance because they allow Kabam to delete crystal types from the game. If at least one person owns a crystal, the game must keep track of it globally, even if it a crystal handed out once two years ago that no one will ever be able to earn again. So they periodically clean out the crystal reward system by force opening older and less owned crystals so that those crystal types can be purged from the system, and the resources freed.

Whether you own one, two, a billion, or *zero* of a crystal type, so long as someone else owns at least one, it doesn't really matter.

Second, there's no nuance to this statement. Kabam absolutely can discourage hoarding and yet reward players who have lots of stuff. There's nothing contradictory about that, because hoarding and spending are not binary. Kabam wants most players to spend resources now on things that will help their progress now, rather than save resources at the expense of holding back their progress. They see players complain about gold shortages, but see players also hold onto their gold crystals until gold boosts arrive, which causes them to have gold shortages. They see players complain about all sorts of other shortages, but they also see lots of resources tied up in unopened crystals. There are lots of reasons that happens, some reasonable and some not reasonable. But if hoarding is causing players to complain about resource shortages, then Kabam absolutely should be discouraging hoarding in general.

But that's not the same thing as saying "spend everything now." That's honestly foolish, and no one at Kabam has ever said spend everything now. If you're holding resources because you have no reasonable productive uses for them, you aren't hoarding. You're simply not wasting. If there's a 5* champ that could help your progress right now if it was awakened, you should awaken it. The same is true for any other resource. But if you don't have any specific use for a resource that would have a material impact on your progress, then usage becomes completely optional. Always has, and no one at Kabam has ever said otherwise.

In any game like this, there will be some people short of any resource and other people with lots of it. There are two things the game can do. They can make sure the stuff people are short of is never useful, so that the people who have lots of it will never be able to use it, but the people short of it will never feel left out of anything. That basically penalizes players who play efficiently. Or they can create resource sinks for the resources players have excess of which rewards efficient play but then penalizes players who have less resources through circumstance. You get to choose which version of wrong you want players to beat you over the head with.

The irony of it all is that this event is supposed to get people to clear out their inventories. But all it did is give me more of a reason to hoard. Whether it be 5* AGs or not. What if there is a trade in for 2% t5cc at some point? What about shard crystal upgrades? I now feel much less inclined to use items, and much more inclined ti save them.

If you do, then do. You have every right to do so. And if you are saying that the 5* AGs you spent in the past were casual awakenings that you now regret, then you probably should. There is always an opportunity cost associated with spending any resource. The benefit you get from spending should outweigh that opportunity cost. Just remember the game does not owe you some future use for those items. You have to decide what you want more: the benefit of using them now, or the possibility of a potential use later. As long as you pick the choice you can live with and don't complain about the consequences of the choice you make, either choice is fine.

I'm reasonably sure the Kabam developers feel the same way. I generally recommend to players not to hoard. That doesn't mean I tell them to spend everything now. I tell them if there's a use for the stuff that will help them significantly now, spend now. If not, save until such an opportunity arises. That's not hoarding. That's intelligent resource management.

You’ve been getting less statistical and theoretical and more opinion….ical

I don’t like it…
  • DjmagsDjmags Posts: 115
    I proper cruel on all those that don’t hoard like myself due the game constantly crashing on my device… I don’t hoard because I was led to believe it helps the game…
  • DjmagsDjmags Posts: 115
    The only way kabam can solve this issue is to make the trade in a permanent
  • GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    It is ok guys.
    Everything has the first time.
    I used many 5* AGs for fun. But will hoard them for next year trade in event. For end game players we can get about 5 or 6 of them in just a year. This year came in a suprise, nothing we can do now.
  • TimeGenesisTimeGenesis Posts: 732 ★★★
    edited December 2021

I’m going back to hoarding all resources

I too will sadly start to hoard every single item / crystal that i can. I know it's not guaranteed that the trade will ever come back but still, it will give me the peace of mind that i did what i could to be the best position this time next year.
  • Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Posts: 1,806 ★★★★★
    With this action kabam rewarded hoarding. Nothing more or less. Agree with this post
  • _Kill_Switch__Kill_Switch_ Posts: 270 ★★

I’m going back to hoarding all resources

Plain and simple.
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★

With this action kabam rewarded hoarding. Nothing more or less. Agree with this post

I’m sure they did with some people. But I do have a large stock pile of 2 and 3* gems simply because I don’t have unawakened two and three stars. And there must be large numbers of accounts that, with regularly opening Cavs, don’t have unawakened four and five stars. At least none you would ever use a gem on? Then the issue isn’t hoarding.
  • OGAvenger said:

DNA3000 said:

Now the thing I dont get is, why does Kabam reward players for hoarding massive amounts of materials when they encourage summoners to use them, and even talk about the slowing of servers with mass hoarding.

Two things. First, mass hoarding in general doesn't cause server slowdowns. Kabam explained this previously. Crystal clean ups improve server performance because they allow Kabam to delete crystal types from the game. If at least one person owns a crystal, the game must keep track of it globally, even if it a crystal handed out once two years ago that no one will ever be able to earn again. So they periodically clean out the crystal reward system by force opening older and less owned crystals so that those crystal types can be purged from the system, and the resources freed.

Whether you own one, two, a billion, or *zero* of a crystal type, so long as someone else owns at least one, it doesn't really matter.

Second, there's no nuance to this statement. Kabam absolutely can discourage hoarding and yet reward players who have lots of stuff. There's nothing contradictory about that, because hoarding and spending are not binary. Kabam wants most players to spend resources now on things that will help their progress now, rather than save resources at the expense of holding back their progress. They see players complain about gold shortages, but see players also hold onto their gold crystals until gold boosts arrive, which causes them to have gold shortages. They see players complain about all sorts of other shortages, but they also see lots of resources tied up in unopened crystals. There are lots of reasons that happens, some reasonable and some not reasonable. But if hoarding is causing players to complain about resource shortages, then Kabam absolutely should be discouraging hoarding in general.

But that's not the same thing as saying "spend everything now." That's honestly foolish, and no one at Kabam has ever said spend everything now. If you're holding resources because you have no reasonable productive uses for them, you aren't hoarding. You're simply not wasting. If there's a 5* champ that could help your progress right now if it was awakened, you should awaken it. The same is true for any other resource. But if you don't have any specific use for a resource that would have a material impact on your progress, then usage becomes completely optional. Always has, and no one at Kabam has ever said otherwise.

In any game like this, there will be some people short of any resource and other people with lots of it. There are two things the game can do. They can make sure the stuff people are short of is never useful, so that the people who have lots of it will never be able to use it, but the people short of it will never feel left out of anything. That basically penalizes players who play efficiently. Or they can create resource sinks for the resources players have excess of which rewards efficient play but then penalizes players who have less resources through circumstance. You get to choose which version of wrong you want players to beat you over the head with.

The irony of it all is that this event is supposed to get people to clear out their inventories. But all it did is give me more of a reason to hoard. Whether it be 5* AGs or not. What if there is a trade in for 2% t5cc at some point? What about shard crystal upgrades? I now feel much less inclined to use items, and much more inclined ti save them.

If you do, then do. You have every right to do so. And if you are saying that the 5* AGs you spent in the past were casual awakenings that you now regret, then you probably should. There is always an opportunity cost associated with spending any resource. The benefit you get from spending should outweigh that opportunity cost. Just remember the game does not owe you some future use for those items. You have to decide what you want more: the benefit of using them now, or the possibility of a potential use later. As long as you pick the choice you can live with and don't complain about the consequences of the choice you make, either choice is fine.

I'm reasonably sure the Kabam developers feel the same way. I generally recommend to players not to hoard. That doesn't mean I tell them to spend everything now. I tell them if there's a use for the stuff that will help them significantly now, spend now. If not, save until such an opportunity arises. That's not hoarding. That's intelligent resource management.

You’ve been getting less statistical and theoretical and more opinion….ical

I don’t like it…
    I've always done both, and will continue to do both.

But also, I would say the post you're quoting is my opinion supported by a lot of objective facts. In particular, two:

1. It is a fact that hoarding crystals does not, in general, cause performance slowdowns, nor does Kabam state that it does. They've explicitly explained that it isn't crystal hoarding in general, but holding on to deprecated crystals indefinitely that causes performance problems over time. So the idea that Kabam wants players to spend resources to help speed up the game is false, and to the extent that Kabam may have implied that in the past, they clarified that position in successive statements.

2. It is also a fact that Kabam's statements about hoarding in general are not exclusive to efficient resource usage. Kabam has always created opportunities for players to gain advantages from having unused resources: the 6* AG was just the most recent and most high valued one recently, but there's never been a time when the players who spent everything had an advantage over the players who kept resources available. So it is also a fact that the game hasn't specifically shifted in this regard. Think about hoarding units, which players still do. Kabam doesn't actually *want* players to hoard units, but they will continue to have periodic high value unit offers, of which the J4 and CW sales are the most prominent. That's not contradictory.

So while I understand the sentiment behind the idea that "Kabam discourages hoarding but also rewards it" as I said in my post, that sentiment is not supported by the facts. And facts are facts, whether they are expressed with numbers or with words.