**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Trade In Store and Resource Hoarding Issue

Comments

• AATTAATT Posts: 525 ★★★
    Coppin said:

I blame this on the "Fanboy attitude" to the game...
    OMG This youtuber got this sick new 6*... I'm gonna try to get it!!.. oh no i only got the 5*... but they say its BEYOND BEYOND GOD TIER!!! i'm gonna use an AG right away .. leave it at sig 1 cause i still wanna use sig stones on the champ i awakened last month... Oh boy oh boyy...
    Months later the youtuber has 600 items to trade while u got 0....

I'm not a youtuber fanboy, I only watch guides videos. But for me is really simple:

- Use sig stones because at max sig the benefit of duping a max sig champ is getting double shards
    - Use awakening gem on champions that benefit from awaken ability, then repeat the above step

Almost 3/4 of my 3*s and 1/2 of my 4*s are at max sig. Also, I have 20 5*s at max sig. AG and sig stones are useful for account progression
  • JessieSJessieS Posts: 1,386 ★★★★
    edited December 2021
    6 AG? Is this for thronebreakers ? I don’t see it
  • GildenlowGildenlow Posts: 691 ★★★
    I think that one soultion for this would be if kabam increase the amount of 5 stars awakening crystales de you can trade from 5 to 10 as there are available for the 4 stars awakening crystal.

I think that those 5 extra awakening gems should let most thronebreakers to get to 5 generic ag, and so trading it for a 6 stars awakening crystal.

That's should make this event more "fair" for those who dont hoard resources because of kabam's recommendations.

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit maybe take this suggestion?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Chovner said:

AATT said:

I traded the 6* AG and many items. I'm happy because I can awake my 6* hercules... But! I've been using my 3-5* class awakening gems in the last months, and with this event, I learnt something:

Hoard! just hoard! No matter what Kabam says about discouraging hoarding... Don't listen to them! Just hoard! Open only necessary crystals for resources and hoard everything. Did you get an awakening gem crystal? Hoard it!

Summarizing: Hoard!

PD: Don't forget to hoard!

Let's get serious. The secret is:
    To hoard like Hoaders TV show
    SO I think what you're saying... is we SHOULD hoard? I think I got that right? :wink:

2022 will be the year of the hoard... I want so many crystals in my inventory that my phone actually feels physically heavier
    Apparently that's the way people are translating this. Personally I'm fine with that, from a competitive view. I'll advance and they won't. Hahaha.
    For real though, this hoarding hoax is getting rampant.
  • Gildenlow said:

I try ro use as many resources as possible because I think that's a way to help kabam.

You're supposed to use resources to help yourself. Using resources does not help Kabam in any way whatsoever. When they need to reduce the resource table space for crystals, they just force open them all and then delete them from the game's data.

it is kind of weird seeing so many people all but threaten to hoard resources, as if this will force Kabam to change something. Whether you use all your awakening gems or none of them means nothing to Kabam except it changes a number on a dashboard. Players have zero leverage in this regard: the threat to hoard resources is no threat to the game.

Kabam encourages players to use resources to prevent them from hurting their own progress through excessive hoarding. But if a player insists on hoarding resources and then complains they are short of resources, they have no one to blame but themselves, and the game has no obligation to make more resources available to feed hoarders who want to save everything for the future, or who only want to spend resources in certain specific narrow ways.
  • Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 917 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Gildenlow said:

I try ro use as many resources as possible because I think that's a way to help kabam.

You're supposed to use resources to help yourself. Using resources does not help Kabam in any way whatsoever. When they need to reduce the resource table space for crystals, they just force open them all and then delete them from the game's data.

it is kind of weird seeing so many people all but threaten to hoard resources, as if this will force Kabam to change something. Whether you use all your awakening gems or none of them means nothing to Kabam except it changes a number on a dashboard. Players have zero leverage in this regard: the threat to hoard resources is no threat to the game.

Kabam encourages players to use resources to prevent them from hurting their own progress through excessive hoarding. But if a player insists on hoarding resources and then complains they are short of resources, they have no one to blame but themselves, and the game has no obligation to make more resources available to feed hoarders who want to save everything for the future, or who only want to spend resources in certain specific narrow ways.
    I don’t see how anyone can both hoard resources and be short of them at the same time?

If I choose to hoard resources it’s not as a threat to Kabam but due to not wanting to miss an opportunity again. From my perspective I don’t care if it has any impact on kabam at all, but I think this is a way of showing frustration over another part of the game that doesn’t feel fair. This is a subjective feeling, and you can make an objective argument as to why it is fair as there was equality of opportunity. However, that doesn’t change the feeling.

For me I used up resources just to use up the resource. But I still had 2 Generic AG and a load of other various 5* gems. I don’t see this as bad resource management. I couldn’t from any more to get the 3 I needed due to RNG not being in my favour.

If this was part of a permanent store we wouldn’t see it as hoarding, it would be saving up the resources rather than wasting them. For me 5* resources have so little value to my account that going forward i’m not going to use them, but it also won’t impact on my progression. What it will hopefully do is provide an opportunity to if Kabam choose to have this type of trade in in future. But again, my account won’t be worse of for letting crystals stack up.
  • Also, I'm not exactly petitioning for people to use them. I've commented on issues like allowing things to expire because of being too selective, or using them to keep a steady flow as opposed to focusing only on 6*s or God Tiers or what have you. Ultimately I don't care what people choose to do, but if they present an issue, I'm usually going to highlight an imbalance I see.

But you’re imbalance works in you’re world. Me personally I r3 every 5 for arena and awaken any just for a couple more points and test them solely to see if worth my cats as a 6 once I get them. It has in effect made 5* 100% useless to me and makes me have to hoard what I would normally just use for just fun. Best up once one is acquired gets it even if that means groot.

Ultimately I don't need the 6* awakening as I have the hench ones I want awakened right now and I will live with that. I ran out of chances to covert what I do have into generic, RNG wasn't my friend. Oh well tough for me.

This idea definitely changed what I do now. Had 0 solo shards walking into this, more chasing t1a or boosts but I'm now at 10 greater worth and they will sit there growing bigger until a store like this hits again. The nonsense fun of awakening champs and testing them is over for me and I would say heaps more.

As I don't really need anything in those objectives and max sigs no need to open them it will hurt me nothing in the scheme of things bar drop the fun lvl a bit and make me sit on things. If it never comes back I'll have millions of unneeded things in stash and shards but I'll be ready for whatever nonsense they throw out again.

So in short kabam stole a little bit more fun from me in the game to become a hoarder. With all the bugs and what not I'm not sure how much more fun I can lose before I just give up and move on.

This is spot on. 100%
  • Wozzle007 said:

DNA3000 said:

Gildenlow said:

I don’t see how anyone can both hoard resources and be short of them at the same time?
    If you hoard gold crystals, you can find yourself short of actual gold. If you save for the next featured 6*, you could have rank up resources expiring because you don't have good options to rank up. If you spend all your glory on T2A and T5B to hoard those resources, you can run out of T4B and be unable to consistently use those catalysts for certain rank ups. Hoarding any resource can easily cause resource imbalances elsewhere, and often do.
    Wozzle007 said:

If this was part of a permanent store we wouldn’t see it as hoarding, it would be saving up the resources rather than wasting them. For me 5* resources have so little value to my account that going forward i’m not going to use them, but it also won’t impact on my progression. What it will hopefully do is provide an opportunity to if Kabam choose to have this type of trade in in future. But again, my account won’t be worse of for letting crystals stack up.

If those resources genuinely have no value to your progress, or so little that it doesn't matter, there's no problem with keeping them and that's not the definition of hoarding in games. Hoarding is holding resources for no reasonable purpose or rational reason. Letting them stack up because you can't find a good use for them is a perfectly good reason to let resources stack up for some potential future opportunity, and therefore it is not hoarding by definition. At least not in the context of game operators discouraging hoarding in games.
  • doctorbdoctorb Posts: 1,715 ★★★
    Chovner said:

AATT said:

I traded the 6* AG and many items. I'm happy because I can awake my 6* hercules... But! I've been using my 3-5* class awakening gems in the last months, and with this event, I learnt something:

Hoard! just hoard! No matter what Kabam says about discouraging hoarding... Don't listen to them! Just hoard! Open only necessary crystals for resources and hoard everything. Did you get an awakening gem crystal? Hoard it!

Summarizing: Hoard!

PD: Don't forget to hoard!

Let's get serious. The secret is:
    To hoard like Hoaders TV show
    SO I think what you're saying... is we SHOULD hoard? I think I got that right? :wink:

2022 will be the year of the hoard... I want so many crystals in my inventory that my phone actually feels physically heavier
    😅
  • doctorbdoctorb Posts: 1,715 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Gildenlow said:

Your right, hoarding is no threat. But withholding funds is a threat. BFCM is gone but the x-mas sale is coming.
  • DrZola said:

I find the trade-in store even more boring than all these threads about the trade-in store.

Dr. Zola

It would be boring if it wasn't for the fact that all the wild assertions surrounding the issue is going to turn into the next meme that will harm a lot of unsuspecting newer players. I couldn't care less if veterans decide to "hoard resources." I do care that people are spreading the misinformation that Kabam "told them not to hoard" then basically "lied to them" by creating a store that rewards hoarding. This will convince a lot of players that don't know any better that hoarding is some secret path to success that Kabam doesn't want players to follow, when in fact it will sabotage a lot of players progress to their own detriment.

If it wasn't for that fact, I might have checked out a while ago myself.
  • LeanbisonLeanbison Posts: 118 ★★
    edited December 2021
    I think the point is that the 6 star AG was a gift for those who are whales. On average that is who gets access to it. It’s Kabams way of giving back to the elite spenders in game. They gave me iso bricks so I really can’t complain.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    edited December 2021
    I think the biggest gap between viewpoints here is regarding the purpose of the store and what it rewards (or in my case, corrects). I had more skill AGs than every other class combined (7). All my max 5-stars were awakened and I had a 6r3 and 3 6r2. I think I had a total of 4 unawakened skill champs, and only one was 4/55. Dumping those gems made loads of sense.

I climbed the ladder with my gems, replaced some class gems and generics that I traded, and got a 6-star. I rerolled it when I didn’t like it.

I guess what I don’t get, and this is sincere, not sarcastic - some of y’all have to be playing WAY different than me if you’re opening all your solo shards. I don’t understand how you don’t constantly have stuff expire.

Both my TB accounts have hundreds of these crystals unopened from event rewards and I can pull any 4-star gems I need from them. Are you opening them for arena boosts, and I just don’t grind arena? Even if that’s the case, how do you still have 4-stars to awaken? I only have 2-4 unduped (edit: per class) at a time, and they inevitably awaken when I pull 4-stars for iso.
  • ccrider474ccrider474 Posts: 643 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Gildenlow said:

It's not a threat really, what it really is I can't use resources how I would like. It is fun to awaken champs like sw that I can't get as a 6 or to see how champ x works awakened to see if they come up in a nexus if that ability not only helps the champ but feeds my play style or any deficit I have in my roster.

What this does, is show don't research champs yourself use tier lists because you learning let's say punisher 2099 awaken is worth while for you to choose him in a nexus will cost you say awakening of aegon with a gem.

The flow on to kabam will be a bit but not much in the scheme of things. It will be the outlier people. The more you hoard when say a cat deal that has extra stuff. If you were on the fence about the cat but the extra was enough to push you over to buy it then that extra becomes useless as you have so much you are not using now. Your just saving it up for something similar to come out.

Weird turn of events that someone that keeps only say 2 of everything in inventory and uses the rest on whatever is wasting resources but someone keeping everything for that one great champ came out the winner.
  • Weird turn of events that someone that keeps only say 2 of everything in inventory and uses the rest on whatever is wasting resources but someone keeping everything for that one great champ came out the winner.

That's like saying the guy who spends resources to rank up champions loses to the guy who keeps them all until Doom shows up in the game, or the guy who doesn't buy a phone this year wins when they get to buy a better phone next year. The people who spend resources get a benefit today. The people who save resources get some future benefit tomorrow. No one knows which one will be better: sometimes it is the people who spend today, sometimes it is the people who save for tomorrow. Everyone has to evaluate the options and make their choice. Neither strategy is a guaranteed winner.

People are focused on one tiny sliver of possibilities: the players who a) received tons of 5* AGs and b) had no high value options to spend them on and c) spend them on relatively low impact awakenings and then d) did not have enough remaining to trade for the 6* AG. For those people specifically, sure, they "lost" while the players in the same situation as them but didn't spend the AGs "won." But for everyone else, the situation is different. Some UC player today who decides to start saving all of his AGs so he can get a 6* AG a year from now? He might be losing because he's holding back his roster, and thus his game progression, so that by the time he gets that AG he will still be far behind the player who decided to spend the AGs and use those champions efficiently to clear content faster.

Some of the guys who keep everything for that one great champ only look like winners. What they lost is invisible, but no less important. It is just impossible to prove they lost it.

This has happened before. The day Kabam announced that 6* champs were coming, a lot off high tier players said they were unfairly screwed by Kabam because they spent resources on 5* champs that could have been saved and put into 6* champs. Does that mean everyone should be saving all of their rank up resources until 7* champs arrive? We don't know if, or when, they will arrive, but if and when they do, all the people who rank up 6* champs in the week or month before they arrive will be at a disadvantage to the players who didn't and were saving rank up resources. Is that also a weird turn of events? It isn't to me, because that's just how things work when future opportunities are constantly changing and arriving.
    DNA3000 said:

Weird turn of events that someone that keeps only say 2 of everything in inventory and uses the rest on whatever is wasting resources but someone keeping everything for that one great champ came out the winner.

That's like saying the guy who spends resources to rank up champions loses to the guy who keeps them all until Doom shows up in the game, or the guy who doesn't buy a phone this year wins when they get to buy a better phone next year. The people who spend resources get a benefit today. The people who save resources get some future benefit tomorrow. No one knows which one will be better: sometimes it is the people who spend today, sometimes it is the people who save for tomorrow. Everyone has to evaluate the options and make their choice. Neither strategy is a guaranteed winner.

People are focused on one tiny sliver of possibilities: the players who a) received tons of 5* AGs and b) had no high value options to spend them on and c) spend them on relatively low impact awakenings and then d) did not have enough remaining to trade for the 6* AG. For those people specifically, sure, they "lost" while the players in the same situation as them but didn't spend the AGs "won." But for everyone else, the situation is different. Some UC player today who decides to start saving all of his AGs so he can get a 6* AG a year from now? He might be losing because he's holding back his roster, and thus his game progression, so that by the time he gets that AG he will still be far behind the player who decided to spend the AGs and use those champions efficiently to clear content faster.

Some of the guys who keep everything for that one great champ only look like winners. What they lost is invisible, but no less important. It is just impossible to prove they lost it.

This has happened before. The day Kabam announced that 6* champs were coming, a lot off high tier players said they were unfairly screwed by Kabam because they spent resources on 5* champs that could have been saved and put into 6* champs. Does that mean everyone should be saving all of their rank up resources until 7* champs arrive? We don't know if, or when, they will arrive, but if and when they do, all the people who rank up 6* champs in the week or month before they arrive will be at a disadvantage to the players who didn't and were saving rank up resources. Is that also a weird turn of events? It isn't to me, because that's just how things work when future opportunities are constantly changing and arriving.
    Not entirely true as the rate a new player now acquires 5 and 6 that 5* awaken doesn't impact them as much.

Just using my buddy as an example. Saw me playing at work 5 months ago. He is playing hard but hoarding resources. Now he is at mordo map in act 6 and acquired his 1st r3. Just run through the rest and he will be new to tb in 6 months tops at his rate. That isn't a massive account going back to retry like Brian grant new cav in a week but 7 years experience that is brand new to tb.

He got the 6* trade up as well because of his hoarding nature. Didn't seem to impact him in the slightest.

Maybe another outlier account but it does show me it is the way. May not have been kabams intent but the outcome is still the same.
  • GogataGogata Posts: 71
    If it was 3-4 generics it is still BS but its fair trade or 5random class, an tell ppl what your plans are for the event 10 months earlier so we can stack them, i am free to play and open only normal crystals not those from 15k shards, and I keep 1 generic and 1 of each class, because by the time i can pull a new champ that needs to be awake it will be 6 months later and for that period i will get a new one anyway, so I use awake gems whenever i have more than one, there was simply not a single reason to keep em, until the other day I guess. So personally from now on wont open a single f crystal and keep that trash cuz they will buff the value of any crystal at some point or make a new **** event like this one, ez
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

This has happened before. The day Kabam announced that 6* champs were coming, a lot off high tier players said they were unfairly screwed by Kabam because they spent resources on 5* champs that could have been saved and put into 6* champs.

Unless you’re speaking as cash as a resource here (which is outside the scope of saving resources for rank ups used in your examples and which the trade in store is about and is being discussed) that is not possible given the timeline of events and costs of ranking a 6 star.

First the knowledge of 6s, August 2017 Kabam announces 6s are coming next year and starts awarding shards.

Next the costs, in December 2017 5.4 is released making it possible for the first time ever to acquire the needed T5b to rank 5 a five star.

Then in January (can call it February as it was the last day of Jan) the first 6 star crystal is available in game.

It wouldn’t be for a number of months later that players would attain their 3rd T5b and be able to rank 3 a 6*.

Players were well aware of 6s before they could even spend the shared resources used ranking a 6 to rank their 5s.

Yes plenty of people were upset about the money/effort they put into acquiring their 5 star roster and sigging them up, because they felt that was soon to be obsolete, but as far as the rank up resources that didn’t happen.
  • DNA3000 said:

This has happened before. The day Kabam announced that 6* champs were coming, a lot off high tier players said they were unfairly screwed by Kabam because they spent resources on 5* champs that could have been saved and put into 6* champs.

Unless you’re speaking as cash as a resource here (which is outside the scope of saving resources for rank ups used in your examples and which the trade in store is about and is being discussed) that is not possible given the timeline of events and costs of ranking a 6 star.

First the knowledge of 6s, August 2017 Kabam announces 6s are coming next year and starts awarding shards.

Next the costs, in December 2017 5.4 is released making it possible for the first time ever to acquire the needed T5b to rank 5 a five star.

Then in January (can call it February as it was the last day of Jan) the first 6 star crystal is available in game.

It wouldn’t be for a number of months later that players would attain their 3rd T5b and be able to rank 3 a 6*.

Players were well aware of 6s before they could even spend the shared resources used ranking a 6 to rank their 5s.

Yes plenty of people were upset about the money/effort they put into acquiring their 5 star roster and sigging them up, because they felt that was soon to be obsolete, but as far as the rank up resources that didn’t happen.
    Not to question timeline, which appears to be accurate, but when I say that people complained about investing resources to rank up 5* champs when 6* champs were coming, I'm not saying I am assuming this happened because it is likely, I'm saying I participated in the threads in which this very argument was made. So whether it could have happened or not is not a debatable point: it did happen. I believe the flaw in your logic is assuming that the debate must have focused on T5B as the limiting resource for rank 3, when the other resources could just as easily have been depleted by players working their way up. In fact, when 6* champs first came out and for a long time afterwards there was a lot of discussion about whether the resources were better spent on 5* or 6*, and even what the correct perspective was on which rank ups were "more expensive" (which depended on whether you counted the non-overlapping rank ups for 5* champs to get them to R4 as part of the overall cost).
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Not to question timeline, which appears to be accurate, but when I say that people complained about investing resources to rank up 5* champs when 6* champs were coming, I'm not saying I am assuming this happened because it is likely, I'm saying I participated in the threads in which this very argument was made. So whether it could have happened or not is not a debatable point: it did happen. I believe the flaw in your logic is assuming that the debate must have focused on T5B as the limiting resource for rank 3, when the other resources could just as easily have been depleted by players working their way up. In fact, when 6* champs first came out and for a long time afterwards there was a lot of discussion about whether the resources were better spent on 5* or 6*, and even what the correct perspective was on which rank ups were "more expensive" (which depended on whether you counted the non-overlapping rank ups for 5* champs to get them to R4 as part of the overall cost).
    Got a link to any of these discussions?
  • DNA3000 said:

Gildenlow said:

Spoke like a true kabam representative. Cheers!
    I guess that's somewhat better than anonymously clicking on disagree and then running away giggling.

Not by a lot, but a little.
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Not to derail where you going but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Say t5b like you said those are overlapping resources that can be used by both a 5 and a 6. You should still sit down and make that decision now if r5 a max sig capiw better than r2 unawakened anyone you have or care to name.

Once you got some of those better champs up before you start doing outlier helpful but not always champs you should test them. Which I do, it's better to use 5 and try them as counters to certain stuff in act 6. Did that work? Now how about awaken? Yeah that worked well, I need to awaken that guy or the sig did absolutely nothing so ready for him to eat shared resources now.

This in effect made testing and trialing what works for you wasted. Because what was a 1 use resource just became shared and you need a lot of them to share that you can't acquire without hoarding.

There is no where for me to grind to get that now shared resource unless they are going to reset variants or something.

The shared cats you can do something about with content, aq, aw, luck on tb daily, whatever quests be it cav or eq or sq.

I get your side of the story, I truly do by some of your posts. You enjoy resource management and getting up resources and what not. Awesome and this feed you but I like testing odd balls and get joy out of things like doing the tech variant when it came out with prebuff punisher 2099 and redskull. Or that night carnage with my r1 unawakened Taskmaster.

This event shows from my perspective hoarding is the way and you can't change my mind on that. I'm ok with not getting this trade in. I truly am but hoard for the win became real. What next useless item will become the new swap to something better?

I'm more annoyed that how I enjoy playing the game is going away because of this. I can't miss an opportunity to get something of high value in game, so I can't do fun odd ball things. I can't make my own decisions of how that champ awakening effects that champ for myself or I'll steal future high end stuff from myself.

Even you got to see how from my perspective this has made hoarding and blindly following tier list seem the way of the future.

This event was a way to add value to an item that isn't valuable.