**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

I was scammed. That gave me an idea for future gifting events.

Comments

• Mobile_P0tat0Mobile_P0tat0 Posts: 966 ★★★★
    Could just shut down global for the event and that would eliminate the majority of scamming
  • ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,083 ★★★★★

Could just shut down global for the event and that would eliminate the majority of scamming

That’s a great solution. Recruiting wouldn’t matter since they can’t participate anyway if they join a new alliance.
  • Maltyo9Maltyo9 Posts: 270 ★★★

Maltyo9 said:

While I agree that this situation sucks for the OP and their alliance mates that got scammed, this is easily avoidable even when trading with people that you "know."

When someone posts in chat that they have x number GGCs to trade, I'm not sending to them until I've received the promised amount. After all, they were the one initiating the exchange in the first place.

What’s to stop someone see a person put “trade x number of GGCs” in a chat, agree to it, let them send first because they initiated the exchange in the first place, and then not send anything back?

Completely agree with your point.

Someone could do just that, but I believe that as soon as that happened, everyone in that alliance would know straightaway what happened, and it likely wouldn't happen again.

Unfortunately at this point, we're all just talking about the same situation happening in different ways.

At the end of the day, we just have to trust who we're sending a "gift" to, and hoping that it is reciprocated accordingly.

However, I do appreciate the OP's idea on implementing a trading system to insure people don't run into that situation, but as others have said, it seems difficult to implement and not very cost-effective for Kabam.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    The problem is, trading is an elective activity. The point of the Event is to reward people for sending gifts to others. If we do decide to trade, that's a personal agreement. Not one of the game design. If we're trusting strangers, we're taking that risk ourselves. Kabam can't guarantee people will be honest.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

The problem is, trading is an elective activity. The point of the Event is to reward people for sending gifts to others. If we do decide to trade, that's a personal agreement. Not one of the game design. If we're trusting strangers, we're taking that risk ourselves. Kabam can't guarantee people will be honest.

Yeah. Like imagine if we could implement a system that counters that
  • ShadowKing01ShadowKing01 Posts: 46
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/2012188#Comment_2012188
    Either great minds think alike or you just re-wrote my post. lol

Yeah. Like imagine if we could implement a system that counters that
    Counters what? People trusting total strangers? I trade with people I know. Not random people.
  • Alado1977Alado1977 Posts: 12
    @ShadowKing01 I didn’t see your post before (my search skills in the forum could use a revamp too). But yes, credit is due. It’s the same idea.
  • psp742psp742 Posts: 2,292 ★★★★
    Only trade one GGC at a time.. if they don't gift back.. don't send them more until they send you equal value gift.. that way if they don't gift you back.. you lose only 300units and not more.. same with your other alliance mates.. one GGC at a time.. unless you know each other and have been together in alliance a longer time.

Couldn’t have said it any better. Some may not like judging by the disagrees but this is just the way this event is. If anything the dishonesty affects newer players as they tend to be more, naive per say? Into doing these trades with “scammers”. But in the end, the point of gifting is to earn the milestones. You may not maximize your rewards by just gifting instead of trading, but nonetheless that’s not the point of this event. It’s Christmas time. Gonna get mad at someone if you gave them a gift and they don’t return anything back in real life? No because they appreciate it and it was an act of selflessness. I know that morality doesn’t apply to this game as the people receiving will probably forget about you the next day, but in this case you’re still receiving milestones for GIVING to another player, which is all this event cares about. You don’t earn milestones from RECEIVING. So those that “scam” you will have to trade to get the better rewards anyway. Disagree as you please, I ain’t a fan of supposed scamming either but just be careful with how you either trade or gift to prevent this.
    I do wonder if people read the text before pressing a button though. It amazes me.
  • PiviotPiviot Posts: 658 ★★★
    edited December 2021
    Nm
  • PiviotPiviot Posts: 658 ★★★
    edited December 2021

Couldn’t have said it any better. Some may not like judging by the disagrees but this is just the way this event is. If anything the dishonesty affects newer players as they tend to be more, naive per say? Into doing these trades with “scammers”. But in the end, the point of gifting is to earn the milestones. You may not maximize your rewards by just gifting instead of trading, but nonetheless that’s not the point of this event. It’s Christmas time. Gonna get mad at someone if you gave them a gift and they don’t return anything back in real life? No because they appreciate it and it was an act of selflessness. I know that morality doesn’t apply to this game as the people receiving will probably forget about you the next day, but in this case you’re still receiving milestones for GIVING to another player, which is all this event cares about. You don’t earn milestones from RECEIVING. So those that “scam” you will have to trade to get the better rewards anyway. Disagree as you please, I ain’t a fan of supposed scamming either but just be careful with how you either trade or gift to prevent this.
    If ppl are scamming for the ggc they not caring for the milestones

Cause they gonna either get kicked before or they gonna leave by themselves
  • DontsellthemDontsellthem Posts: 762 ★★★
    Your idea gave me an idea…the long con!!!! 😈
  • GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    edited December 2021
    If Kabam just wanted this event as "gifting" they would not give out price for top gifting players. Because it encourages people to treat it as "trading" and get "benefit" from it.

So no, Kabam does not see it as "gifting event" no matter its name, or may be they saw it like that just in the very first year, but not now, they are seeing it as an oppotunity to milk the community.

Like Uber, in theory its a sharing service, but in fact its a taxi company. Dont be naive or lie yourself.
    I mean, we can argue semantics and ulterior motives until the cows come home, but it's a Gifting Event. They don't reward trading, they reward Gifting. Players are doing what Players do, and trying to maximize their payout. Which isn't a fault, it's how people have devised maximum benefit. That doesn't mean it's Kabam's fault when people learn a hard lesson. We see the same thing happen when Alliance Members are trusted prematurely and they boot a bunch of people. It's an in-house issue. It's not a Barter Event. It's a Gifting Event.
  • solopolosolopolo Posts: 883 ★★★
    @DNA3000 problem I have with that take is, I don't see anyone making friends simply because a trade went well. Personally at least, having someone actually send gifts back rather than take them and run isn't telling me they're great friends, it's telling me they're enough of a decent human being to not want to ruin other people's experience. And I'm sure this is also the case for a whole lot of people.

Also, regardless of whether or not they implement a proper trading system, you'll still have benefits to trading within your alliance. Trading with someone inside your alliance will always yield double the event points that trading with anyone else would.
  • DestinyPoloDestinyPolo Posts: 65

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/2012188#Comment_2012188
    Either great minds think alike or you just re-wrote my post. lol

Lmao u can’t say that when your post was literally posted a few days after mine on the issue 😂

• DestinyPoloDestinyPolo Posts: 65
    edited December 2021
    Anyway I think the premise of the trade doesn’t matter - I mean in the end of the day it could simply be called a ‘gift-swap’ if we are being so petty on the issue of gift v trade. As for implementation - if you take the stance that you shouldn’t implement something because it may cause ‘issues’, Nothing would ever be implemented into any game. Everything takes risks - things can go wrong with anything. I mean MCOC is an incredibly complex game - they are surely capable of implementing a simple trading (or gift swap 🙄) system and to argue against that is disrespectful to the game makers. Ask yourself why has this issue appeared on the forums several times now? It’s because people are fed up of scammers, it’s because people want extra security around their units. The only reason for anyone to argue against such an idea is if they wish to scam themselves. There is NO other reason to be against it and being petty on the definition of a gift v trade only shows your true colours.
    However I would like to hear a moderators take on the issue - there is only so many posts on an issue that you can ignore until they have to respond.
  • rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    Alado1977 said:

He had several trades at the “same” time. It was all done in 5 to 10 minutes. That’s why I’ve said it was a long con, built throughout a year. Enough reputation in the alliance as a solid player to grant him a margin of time. Clearly this wasn’t the first time doing it.

Still.

I've had ppl ask for maximum of 10-15 GGCs at a given time and even then they're only able to trade 3-4 with another person.

If your alliance members were so eager to send him more than that, then it's just recklessness.

I've been in my alliance for 3 years and I still don't trust some of them and always trade in quantities of 3.
  • Dude17Dude17 Posts: 133 ★★
    edited January 2022

Anyway I think the premise of the trade doesn’t matter - I mean in the end of the day it could simply be called a ‘gift-swap’ if we are being so petty on the issue of gift v trade.

Agreed. At work we have an annual gift-exchange during X'mas. Everyone expects you to gift if you are participating. Kabam would make a lot more $$$, if they implemented a solution like OP mentioned, in addition to the option to freely gift if a player so chooses.

In my first year playing the game, I didn't spend any units because I didn't know anyone long enough to trust them to do a swap. I know a few people this year who did not particpate at all because they didn't know anyone well & didn't want to be the first person to send. If there was an in-game system in place to swap gifts, Kabam would have made a bunch more money & reduce scamming at the same time.

Alternatively, allow us to buy more of those 10-pack ggcs...problem solved.
    OGAvenger said:

I mean, we can argue semantics and ulterior motives until the cows come home, but it's a Gifting Event. They don't reward trading, they reward Gifting. Players are doing what Players do, and trying to maximize their payout. Which isn't a fault, it's how people have devised maximum benefit. That doesn't mean it's Kabam's fault when people learn a hard lesson. We see the same thing happen when Alliance Members are trusted prematurely and they boot a bunch of people. It's an in-house issue. It's not a Barter Event. It's a Gifting Event.

They actually 100% reward trading. If I trade 5 GGC’s with someone in my alliance we get 15,000 + 15,000 = 30,000 points toward the Alliance Gifting rewards. However, if I gift my alliance mate 5 GGC’s out of the kindness of my heart then we only get 15k points. So we actually get double the reward to trade within the alliance
    They reward Gifting. People earn Points for sending Gifts. The exchange is not necessary at all.

OGAvenger said:

They actually 100% reward trading. If I trade 5 GGC’s with someone in my alliance we get 15,000 + 15,000 = 30,000 points toward the Alliance Gifting rewards. However, if I gift my alliance mate 5 GGC’s out of the kindness of my heart then we only get 15k points. So we actually get double the reward to trade within the alliance
    They reward Gifting. People earn Points for sending Gifts. The exchange is not necessary at all.
    I don’t think people care to understand if it means less rewards. Just leave em be tbh, you’re correct but people only care bout maximizing rewards opposed to the actual event itself.