**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Prof Hoff Video on cats overflow

2Β»

Comments

• SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,209 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Let this thread die in peace.
    I font want to see the name on top every time I open forums πŸ™βœŒοΈ
  • DontsellthemDontsellthem Posts: 762 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    β€œClicks clicks click, they’ll do anything to get a few..tick tick tick..”
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

jay_den said:

This wasn't the first time that said Youtuber posted misleading infos. There was a time, I think about 2 to 3 years ago, where Seatin corrected him and he apologized for the wrong info. I already unsub to his channel a long time ago.

Seatin himself posted misleading info (last year he barely bothered reading the abilities of new champions and played them wrong) and Prof Hoff isn't nearly as negative as KT1. Point is: there are people, who aren't perfect, who can mistakes or rant.
    There is a humongous difference between misreading and sub optimal play of new champs and not reading a act 6.1.1 node while supposedly doing a utility showcase to counter said node
    I actually don't see the difference. Both were showcases, both stemmed from not reading and understanding the ability and both got clicks with no corrections.

Seatin's quality deteriorated already, so his first showcase videos were pretty much reading the ability list hastly and just playing the champion and then saying: "look, she totally sucks!". It isn't a fair analysis, he never corrected it and most egriously, he gets 10 times the views than Prof Hoff.

My point is not that YT'ers should be put on some pedestal, but rather that they are just people. They can mistakes, they may or may not own those mistakes. I prefer Seatin and Prof Hoff to do the latter, but we are not entitled to.

I think OP is correct to call out mistakes made by any YT'er, but sadly this thread got derailed to a hatefest.

It reminds me of Ricky Gervais' "But I don't want any guitar lessons!" joke. If you don't like a YT'er, don't watch the vids and move on. No need to take things personally.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,983 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

jay_den said:

This wasn't the first time that said Youtuber posted misleading infos. There was a time, I think about 2 to 3 years ago, where Seatin corrected him and he apologized for the wrong info. I already unsub to his channel a long time ago.

Seatin himself posted misleading info (last year he barely bothered reading the abilities of new champions and played them wrong) and Prof Hoff isn't nearly as negative as KT1. Point is: there are people, who aren't perfect, who can mistakes or rant.
    There is a humongous difference between misreading and sub optimal play of new champs and not reading a act 6.1.1 node while supposedly doing a utility showcase to counter said node
    I actually don't see the difference. Both were showcases, both stemmed from not reading and understanding the ability and both got clicks with no corrections.

Seatin's quality deteriorated already, so his first showcase videos were pretty much reading the ability list hastly and just playing the champion and then saying: "look, she totally sucks!". It isn't a fair analysis, he never corrected it and most egriously, he gets 10 times the views than Prof Hoff.

My point is not that YT'ers should be put on some pedestal, but rather that they are just people. They can mistakes, they may or may not own those mistakes. I prefer Seatin and Prof Hoff to do the latter, but we are not entitled to.

I think OP is correct to call out mistakes made by any YT'er, but sadly this thread got derailed to a hatefest.

It reminds me of Ricky Gervais' "But I don't want any guitar lessons!" joke. If you don't like a YT'er, don't watch the vids and move on. No need to take things personally.
    OP wasn't calling out a mistake, they were trying to figure out why someone would have 2 of those each in the overflow. I called out Prof Hoffs mistake. The simple reason is that the person who Hoff was show the picture of, doesn't have a R4. So it's quite easy to have 2 in the overflow. Hoff is completely in the wrong and trying to perpetuate a narrative that isn't real.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,739 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

jay_den said:

You miss the difference between not reading the nodes and making fun of ones own mistakes caused by that and not reading nodes and critisizing while knowing barely a half of the picture. I am no Seatin simp, but I think he takes his own mistakes with humor and in no way acts as an authority. He even says he didn't read the abilities and that his video is a fun showcase, not a deepdive with perfected playstyle

Every normal person double (or even triple) checks before accusing anyone else or critisizing. Which is natural, noone wants to look like fool or cause bad blood. And Prof Hoff consistently critisizes while having incomplete information, and is therefore treated like a fool.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Kerneas said:

jay_den said:

You miss the difference between not reading the nodes and making fun of ones own mistakes caused by that and not reading nodes and critisizing while knowing barely a half of the picture. I am no Seatin simp, but I think he takes his own mistakes with humor and in no way acts as an authority. He even says he didn't read the abilities and that his video is a fun showcase, not a deepdive with perfected playstyle

Every normal person double (or even triple) checks before accusing anyone else or critisizing. Which is natural, noone wants to look like fool or cause bad blood. And Prof Hoff consistently critisizes while having incomplete information, and is therefore treated like a fool.
    Not to mention that Prof is also a teacher of Journalism. You would think that he would know to get his facts correct and that spreading misinformation is problematic, especially to an impressionable audience.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

jay_den said:

I maybe biased but there's a slight difference between being unable to completely comprehend a new champs kit and playing perfect and reading 2 lines in a node description. Let's agree to disagree
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

jay_den said:

I maybe biased but there's a slight difference between being unable to completely comprehend a new champs kit and playing perfect and reading 2 lines in a node description. Let's agree to disagree
    Agree to disagree. Reading is reading.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

OP wasn't calling out a mistake, they were trying to figure out why someone would have 2 of those each in the overflow. I called out Prof Hoffs mistake. The simple reason is that the person who Hoff was show the picture of, doesn't have a R4. So it's quite easy to have 2 in the overflow. Hoff is completely in the wrong and trying to perpetuate a narrative that isn't real.

Actually, having watched the video (and given it was more rambling than average, makes me wonder how many other people actually did) my take was that Prof Hoff wasn't himself trying to make any sort of point about why someone could possibly have R4 cats in overflow, he was actually advocating for increasing inventory limits when people want to save those things for a rank up they really want to use them on.

Prof Hoff gets a lot of things wrong, and I even felt compelled to post an entire forum post to correct a major malfunction on his part when it came to App stores a while back, but in this case I think the perception problem is on the viewer side, not on his side. Prof Hoff is not saying "oh my god the whales have broken the game to the point where they have R4 mats in overflow" I believe he's saying "hey, if you're one of those players who is grinding these things out faster than most players so you have a bunch, but not so fast that you are willing to just spend them on whatever roster options you have, you should be allowed to save more in inventory."

Whether you agree or disagree with this position, it is not a wildly unreasonable position to take. I will admit I came close to bailing out several times, because that point is far more scattered than is normal even for his videos. But in all fairness, when I condense the video to its salient point, it isn't a misleading point. Fuzzy, but not misleading. What he should have done is actually *highlight* the fact the player does not yet have an R4, because that would reinforce the point that a player shouldn't have to immediately burn their R4 mats or risk losing them to stash expiration. I suspect the combination of the click baity title and the fact the plot is lost in the first few minutes of the video is not helping him.
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,567 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Even my ultimate baby channel of 159 subscribers some viewers ask me about a specific champion and I just reply with β€œ why don’t you give the champion a try?”