**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Why do Unavoidable Damage Nodes exist?

GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★
My ally has started doing Map 6 AQ recently and I expected that the only difference between 6 and 5 would be the increased attack and health and maybe some random node changes. Nodes like Long Distance Relationship and Power Struggle and Destructive Feedback are nodes that you either don’t care about or can play around. They sometimes test your skill and change your playstyle. But what I found in Map 6 is what I call “Unavoidable Damage Nodes”

Nodes like these just don’t makes sense to me. You take damage and there is nothing you can do about it. And most of these are on Local Nodes so you can’t even let someone remove them like a linked node. All this does is make you use more potions. Which maybe that is why they exist. It’s like the trick is to just use CGR or Ghost and just win the fight as quick as possible. But what if you need a slower but really good champ like Quake or Warlock against a Starburst node. What is the purpose of the Aspect of Genesis node other than to annoy you? Doesn’t Aspect of Nightmares screw you over if you have all your champs below 50%. And doesn’t it ruin playing some champs you want at low health like Nick Fury, Pyramid X and even Mole Man who gains benefits with his Awakened Ability scaling with how low his health is. We know that Kabam like us to finish fights quick (Just look at Battlegrounds and the Summoner Showdown) but it’s not always the best way. So why do these exist and should they be changed? Please share your thoughts

Comments

• GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★

All of these are avoidable or counter-able

With maybe 2-4 Champs
    Terra said:

With maybe 2-4 Champs
    No? Direct Damage and Starbust can be outhealed,
    And AoN and AoG can be survived by basically everyone.
    But what is the point of taking this damage?
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,282 ★★★★★

Direct damage is not avoidable as far as I know. It’s counter-able with a high regen champ or duped corvus. Do you know of any champs that can avoid it altogether?
    Zan0 said:

Graves_3 said:

Direct damage is not avoidable as far as I know. It’s counter-able with a high regen champ or duped corvus. Do you know of any champs that can avoid it altogether?
    Cmm can
    For 12 seconds
  • Lemon_Man44Lemon_Man44 Posts: 234 ★★★
    Aspect of nightmare just encourages healing after reviving which is good
  • AburaeesAburaees Posts: 514 ★★★

The last two are, but how do you avoid/counter the first two?

I can only think of winning quickly, but even then some damage is going to be taken.

Or do you mean it can be significantly mitigated/offset e.g. with willpower?
  • Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 396 ★★★
    Degen and starburst can easily be countered by anyone with even rudimentary regen
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Max sig Namor, phasing, Ghulk, etc. There are counters to them all. It also just encourages better and more aggressive play styles.

It’s like saying “how dare Kabam ban champions”? To make it more difficult and to encourage diversity of champion use.
    edited February 2022
    Zan0 said:

Graves_3 said:

Cmm can
    Juggernaut on direct damage node says hello to CMM as well as Mephisto
    edited February 2022
    Zan0 said:

Graves_3 said:

Zan0 said:

Graves_3 said:

Cmm can
    Juggernaut on direct damage node says hello to CMM as well as Mephisto
    Then don’t use cmm for those fights. Don’t see the point in your comment
    The point is that kabam places those kind of defenders with the nodes so how can you counter them with CMM? But I do accept that you answered my question of who can avoid that node altogether. Apologize if my comment sounded rude.

The best arguments i’ve seen against this post so far are:
    AoN heals the damage you took when it expires (fine by me, I like this node)
    AoG can be reversed and used to heal (again, I like this node. Usually I just time my special/combo to kill the opponent before AoG activates.)
    “Just use a regen champ”

Direct Damage and Starburst are lazy. There used to be a somewhat large chunk of the community who agreed, at least, if I remember correctly. I like nodes where you have to actually put forth an effort to counter it. “Just use a regen champ”, while true to an extent (you aren’t avoiding the damage, just reducing the toll it takes on your champions), is just lazy fight/node design. I’d like to see it get replaced, maybe with nodes like No Retreat or Flare (Yes, I’m aware Flare is unavoidable damage, but it provides you with an extra tool to defeat your opponent) that actually encourage you to play skillfully and strategically so you avoid the damage.

Just my opinion. God bless.

And I didn’t put Flare or Blaze on the list because those help more than hurt in most quests. This is what I was hoping people would take out of my post when it comes to Starbust and Direct Damage

With maybe 2-4 Champs
    Firstly, you said unavoidable so I don’t think that’s accurate if it’s able to be countered, I.e. avoided

Direct damage
    Namor, ghost with hood synergy, Kitty Pryde, Hercules, Corvus, Blade, Kingpin, CMM (if the fight is short enough), King groot, Diablo, BWCV, Morningstar, wolverine/x23, VTD
    heals that kick in at low health can survive it.

This list of champs almost makes the question look stupid, but I wouldn’t call the damage avoidable if triggers an immortality mechanic (Hercules and Corvus).
    I wouldn’t call the damage avoidable if it relies on 100% uptime of phase (Kitty and Ghost), nor if it relies on the attacker being on the attack for 100% of the fight (Namor).
    What you’ve listed are champs that can survive the fight, but still take damage in the process.
    What the OP would like is to be able to perform a flawless victory.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Aburaees said:

With maybe 2-4 Champs
    Firstly, you said unavoidable so I don’t think that’s accurate if it’s able to be countered, I.e. avoided

Direct damage
    Namor, ghost with hood synergy, Kitty Pryde, Hercules, Corvus, Blade, Kingpin, CMM (if the fight is short enough), King groot, Diablo, BWCV, Morningstar, wolverine/x23, VTD

This list of champs almost makes the question look stupid, but I wouldn’t call the damage avoidable if triggers an immortality mechanic (Hercules and Corvus).
    I wouldn’t call the damage avoidable if it relies on 100% uptime of phase (Kitty and Ghost), nor if it relies on the attacker being on the attack for 100% of the fight (Namor).
    What you’ve listed are champs that can survive the fight, but still take damage in the process.
    Asking for only nodes that you can avoid everything about 100% of the time removes some of the challenge of the game, as @Terra said. If things are too easy or don’t require counters then where’s the challenge?

There is incoming damage, by phasing Kitty and ghost avoid it. By attacking, namor avoids it. By triggering immortality, Herc/Corvus avoid it. By regenerating, champions don’t die from it. All of these are fair counters I have suggested for a node OP claims is unavoidable.

No, they don’t avoid every tick of damage, but so what? They counter the fight and they avoid the majority of it, or stop themselves dying from it.

Unavoidable damage, true unavoidable damage that is, would be “the attacker takes X health per second, this cannot be mitigated, prevented from KOing the attacker or otherwise avoided, also the attacker is heal blocked”.

I mean, one of the nodes Op suggests as unavoidable is a node that’s there for 6 seconds and if you stay far away you avoid it. Quite what Op thinks unavoidable means I’m not sure. Same with aspect of nightmare, it gives you the health back afterwards. And none of these nodes surprise you, you’re not going to be ambushed by aspect of nightmares randomly. Just heal up, or bring a champ above 50%/ one of the counters suggested
  • PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    Gladiator Hulk
    Terra said:

Aburaees said:

With maybe 2-4 Champs

Direct damage

Corvus and Herc can do flawless victories at 1% if you're skilled enough

A skilled player isn’t going to start that fight with only 1% health.

Fact is, if you go into that fight (direct damage or starburst) with health, you come out with less health regardless of skill.