**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Is it possible that one day we will be able to play in real time against someone else?

RebarkRebark Posts: 342 ★★★
I ask this question from a technical point of view, I'm very curious to know if one day it would be possible in this game, to play a fight in real time against someone, from different devices.
It's a curiosity I've always had, I remember that when my ex girlfriend introduced me to the game, I started a match in versus mode (1 vs 1 arena) and I was super excited because it was my first contact with the game and I was winning, until she told me that I was playing against an AI and I was a little upset.
Since then, it's been 6 years and I kept playing and I've always been curious to know why this was never done, I don't know much about programming but I imagine it's something very difficult considering the nature of the game.
In my personal opinion, I don't think it would be interesting and I think it would be extremely chaotic, but I would like to see it happen one day as a temporary mode or a special event.

Comments

• TrubluMateTrubluMate Posts: 358 ★★★
    You would need a stronger server and nodes to decrease passive play.
    Every second you hold block receive a stacking 10% petrify. These can’t be removed.
    Every second you hold block receive 5% of your max health as direct damage.
    200% block penetration except well timed blocks
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,722 ★★★★★
    KaLikOT said:

Kerneas said:

Your opponent will always be an AI. If two players stood against each other, the moment you release block, you are dead. It'd be unplayable

Sergeant_ said:

Nope don't think so. Opponent would either just keep holding block without throwing any specials or would just quake you in their corner...

Then how come there is an arcade version of mcoc where you can play against a real person? In my opinion its very possible with minor tweaks and better server.
    There is also a tournament in Tekken, but these games are different
  • CaptainaidenCaptainaiden Posts: 775 ★★★
    Then you will see people will play defensively, waiting to parry and blocking, and because of this, many people will choose unblock heroes, unless they remove the parry masteries

What i think is, from the gameplay, it is impossible
  • AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    Ackbar67 said:

MCOC heavily rewards defensive play. Parry, intercepting, baiting heavies, just about every action you do in this game requires the opponent to make the first move, you just have to react accordingly. In a live PVP scenario, it would be unwise to ever do anything. Once you initiate an attack, your opponent can punish you for it. The only way to win would be to use champs that dont rely on the opponent to do anything to deal damage; champs like Quake, Void, Hyperion, etc. It would easily be the most boring mode in mcoc, as both players would just stand around, hoping to deal damage quicker.

From a technical perspective, they would probably need to remake much of mcoc from the ground up. Real time communication between players is way more complicated than how it works now. Currently, if your connection has a hiccup mid match, you can finish the fight, and once the connection is better you are awarded the win. That doesn't work in live PVP, you would have to lose the match.

All you need is various PVP nodes.

Say you pick your champ. Matchmaking starts. Game gives you an opponent and randomly picks 2 nodes that apply to both champs; say from this list:

True Strike
    Unblockable Specials
    One of those direct damage/falter if no hit within x seconds
    Power Gain
    Masochism
    Mighty Charge
    Unblockable Finale
    Invade (100% block penetration + 300% attack when hitting into block)
    Encroaching Stun

Probably a long list of other nodes that will prevent turtling.

As for technical, there are a lot of games that do matches like this. One major mobile gaming company has two top 100 games that are based solely on live matches. Don’t know why we’re so quick to say this isn’t possible.

• JChanceH9JChanceH9 Posts: 764 ★★★
    It would take a Herculean rework of the game to make real-time pvp an option as I understand it.
  • AburaeesAburaees Posts: 514 ★★★
    Marvel Future Revolution has PvP, although it’s a different kind of game. What’s obvious after a short amount of time playing is how important it is for both players to have a stable connection for the whole fight.

Apart from that, this game is functionally asymmetric when comparing the human attacker with the AI defender. Playing this game with symmetry could create some comical situations e.g. Quake vs Quake, Ghost vs Ghost.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    I’m just imagining the ping and the latency issues already and that’s enough to make me not want a real time PvP mode. It’s bad enough with console fighting games when playing online as it is, especially those that have no rollback on the servers….
  • Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★
    Imagine if both players just held block the whole time to avoid being parried or intercepted. Then it would be a game of whose thumbs can last longer.
  • Rebark said:

I ask this question from a technical point of view, I'm very curious to know if one day it would be possible in this game, to play a fight in real time against someone, from different devices.
    It's a curiosity I've always had, I remember that when my ex girlfriend introduced me to the game, I started a match in versus mode (1 vs 1 arena) and I was super excited because it was my first contact with the game and I was winning, until she told me that I was playing against an AI and I was a little upset.
    Since then, it's been 6 years and I kept playing and I've always been curious to know why this was never done, I don't know much about programming but I imagine it's something very difficult considering the nature of the game.
    In my personal opinion, I don't think it would be interesting and I think it would be extremely chaotic, but I would like to see it happen one day as a temporary mode or a special event.

From a technical point of view, no this is not going to happen. Real time PvP play, specifically for a game like MCOC where timing is critical, is something that has to be baked into the game from the start. Lag compensation in particular is a complex problem even when it is built in from the start: retrofitting it to MCOC would take more time and resources than creating an entirely new game with that feature. So Kabam would never spend the resources to do it.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,797 ★★★★★
    Only if its vision aarkus selected
  • Aburaees said:

Marvel Future Revolution has PvP, although it’s a different kind of game.

MOBAs and MMOs have a different kind of combat where timing is important, but frame by frame timing is not critical. Even these kinds of games have very specific architectural engineering to allow for multiplayer real time combat that works. MCOC doesn't have the architectural tools these kinds of games have, and the technical hurdle is an order of magnitude higher.

Even real time PvP *shooters* might have an easier time, because physics is a sort of predictable buffer for lag compensation to live within. MCOC has no such luxury when it comes to mechanics like, say, the well-timed block.
  • AburaeesAburaees Posts: 514 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Aburaees said:

Marvel Future Revolution has PvP, although it’s a different kind of game.

MOBAs and MMOs have a different kind of combat where timing is important, but frame by frame timing is not critical. Even these kinds of games have very specific architectural engineering to allow for multiplayer real time combat that works. MCOC doesn't have the architectural tools these kinds of games have, and the technical hurdle is an order of magnitude higher.

Even real time PvP *shooters* might have an easier time, because physics is a sort of predictable buffer for lag compensation to live within. MCOC has no such luxury when it comes to mechanics like, say, the well-timed block.
    In MFR frame by frame timing is somewhat important as one can utilise invincibility frames to avoid damage. But in a PvP duel the timing goes out the window whenever the connection is poor. The issue also affects the PvE modes as they’re multiplayer and all the action requires constant good connectivity.

The only reason I bring up MFR, is that playing it demonstrates in short time what we take for granted in MCOC, that is largely smooth gameplay (bugs included).

• The_ChumpThe_Chump Posts: 141 ★★
    edited February 2022

They have em at some Dave and Busters
  • The_Chump said:

Same game, but not the same system
  • RasiloverRasilover Posts: 1,440 ★★★★
    Imagine playing Hyperion just to hold block for a unavoidable sp3
  • zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,108 ★★★★★
    Quake against quake quaking 🤣

The_Chump said:

Same game, but not the same system
    LOL yea but its as close as we're gonna get
  • AviXAviX Posts: 16
    It’s possible to do so. There are multiple games which allows players vs players but you need to have better servers similar to game like pubg.
    But considering so many bugs is basic game play not sure how practical it would be to implement in present scenario.
    SandeepS said:

It already exists, I play and beat Seatin, MSD, Lagacy and McMuffins top champs daily. It's amazing how they are always online and up for a duel when I'm free.

Personally, I'm tired of playing them. I just expected a bit more. They look like they know a thing or two, but then we jump in the arena and its easy claps.