**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What’s the point of boosts if you just crank up the difficulty?

Why did get the use of boosts if all you are going to do is make the fight that much more difficult to diminish the advantage of the boosts used?

Comments

• EgretM4 said:

I believe he’s saying the content has been balanced considering the usage of boosts. That he feels the content should have been balanced and tuned without taking that into consideration so the boosts would actually give you an advantage. Or at least that’s what I took from it.

Exactly my understanding of the poster as well (simple enough to know what he is saying, even just from the Title).

Whether you'd agree with it or not, how can you not understand what he's trying to say.

And there used to be a time that Boosts were more rare, then later they became much more abundant and maybe relied on so much that new content is probably tuned with the expectation that Boosts would always be used.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

EgretM4 said:

I believe he’s saying the content has been balanced considering the usage of boosts. That he feels the content should have been balanced and tuned without taking that into consideration so the boosts would actually give you an advantage. Or at least that’s what I took from it.

Exactly my understanding of the poster as well (simple enough to know what he is saying, even just from the Title).

Whether you'd agree with it or not, how can you not understand what he's trying to say.

And there used to be a time that Boosts were more rare, then later they became much more abundant and maybe relied on so much that new content is probably tuned with the expectation that Boosts would always be used.
    I guess that's the most likely meaning for the OP's complaint, although it doesn't actually make any sense to me. By what standard would anyone attempt to make the claim that content in this game was balanced around everyone using boosts. Which boosts? How much, how often? And what impact is that even supposed to have? How does anyone tell the difference between content balanced around using boosts and content that is just harder than you'd like it to be?

Content is ultimately balanced around averages. If everyone used boosts, content would be designed for that situation. But everyone doesn't, and content isn't designed around that assumption. Content is ultimately designed around average metrics. It would not be a terribly large stretch to say that difficulty in a game like MCOC is designed like grading on a curve. Top 10% get an A, next 10% get a B, the next 10% get a C.

When Uncollected difficulty content is played by Uncollected tier players, the developers expect a certain percentage of players to skate through it, a certain percentage of players to struggle, and a certain percentage of players to fail. When content hits those metrics, it is "balanced" for that difficulty tier. If everyone started using boosts, everyone would succeed at a higher rate and the content would get harder over time. In fact, if everyone just got better at the game, the content would get harder over time. This tends to not happen for the simple reason that few players play long enough to get much better that don't also progress to higher tiers in the game. There aren't many ultra awesome skilled players that have also been Uncollected for four years while playing lots of content. Basically, the better you are as an Uncollected player, the less time you spend as an Uncollected player, and the less you matter to the Uncollected averages.

As to the OP, you could also ask what's the point of ranking up champions and beating content if we're just going to have to face even harder defenders in content? In a single player closed ended game, the point to beating content is to eventually reach a victory condition. Eventually you beat the game. In progressional games as a service like MCOC, the point to beating content and progressing is the journey of progressing. Your only reward for beating content is to get access to more content, or even the opportunity to sit around and wait for more content to arrive. And the reason why boosts exist is to give you an opportunity to beat something today that you would otherwise have to wait until tomorrow to become strong enough to beat, via the mechanism of acquiring and managing those resources.
  • ThebgjThebgj Posts: 635 ★★
    I agree with OP
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Using Boosts doesn't affect the difficulty of the Fight.

I mean, using boosts make it easier so it does affect the difficulty of the path XD
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★

Using Boosts doesn't affect the difficulty of the Fight.

I mean, using boosts make it easier so it does affect the difficulty of the path XD
    Touché. Although I meant the AI doesn't become more difficult to make Boosts obsolete.
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    The only content that has been actively designed with boosts in mind is 6.3 where there are quest specific boosts. All of these boosts are freely available, at least for your first attempt/usage.

I have completed 90-95% of the content in this game without boosts because I save them for big ticket pieces of content and war so I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there’s no problem.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    I’ve not used boosts outside of war for… I don’t even know how long now. Even if they would speed up my fights, I don’t need them to clear any recent content, including any of Act 7 so far.
  • Etm34Etm34 Posts: 1,644 ★★★★★
    KaLikOT said:

Etm34 said:

The game has to get harder as you progress or else the game would die. Boosts are there so the hard content is just that bit less difficult.

But act 7 is so much easier than act 6 and yet the game is still alive? Care to explain?
    Story content is no longer supposed to be the hardest piece of content in the game, at least according to the old roadmap/dev diary. It’s supposed to be challenging, yet fun and engaging.

The new hardest content are things like Carina Challenges, GM Gauntlet, Summer of Spain type stuff. Which all of those types of content have gotten harder.
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    Another day another weird conspiracy theory with absolutely no explanation or attempt at proof.