**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

probability calculation in the side event seems to be broken

So in my opinion something is wrong with the probability calculation in the side event. I've now done 5 runs on Legendary and got the T4 5 times. If this is intentional, I wonder why there must be 7 paths? Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    Well, that does seem improbable. According to the forum post, that path has a 15% chance.
  • KyriosRaisKyriosRais Posts: 65
    i run 5 times, t5cc path 5 times in a row. i checked the chance, it's 10%. lol. i always hate RNG rewards
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    If you roll a die and get 1 4/5 times is that die broken? No
  • Saru2244Saru2244 Posts: 181
    DrZola said:
    It's true, I'm not a math genius. But when I read Zola's page, the probability of getting the same path 5 times in a row with 7 paths is 0.14X 0.14 X 0.14 X 0.14 X 0.14 = 0.000005488 That's not true now Exactly, because you would now have to weight the individual paths slightly differently, but even if there was "only" a chance of 0.00054, the probability that something in the game is wrong is much, much higher than it really is .
  • Saru2244 said:

It's true, I'm not a math genius. But when I read Zola's page, the probability of getting the same path 5 times in a row with 7 paths is 0.14X 0.14 X 0.14 X 0.14 X 0.14 = 0.000005488 That's not true now Exactly, because you would now have to weight the individual paths slightly differently, but even if there was "only" a chance of 0.00054, the probability that something in the game is wrong is much, much higher than it really is .

If that specific rift path is 15%, why did you calculate using 14% (were you just just taking 1/7 for # of rifts ? Each rift has different probability, although that one is actually very close to that 1/7th value)

And even so, doesn’t come out to 5488. And it also has one less 0 between decimal and number. As well as since visually a .01 value already looks bad (it is such a fractional value) but really corresponds to 1% so when displaying a value and implying it as a percent you need to chop another 2 zeroes off of it.

And lastly, assuming the complaint is SAME RIFT (aka, ANY RIFT) 5 times, then really you should take 1 of the multipliers out of the equation. Since once you establish the baseline (first roll of the dice), then it is only the next 4 that would have factored into them being the same as the first.

So odds of getting same rift 5 times in a row for a rift that is of 15% odds is really 0.05% (0.050625%). So for every 2000 players, someone will encounter that.