**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

It has been roughly a Year. Do you still miss the Old arena

GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
Hi, wondering how many people still prefer the old style of Arena. I have only grinded for units after 4* basic Champs became meaningless to me. But purely for grinding I still do prefer the Old arena's. Especially the seperation of the lowest Three Old instead of the current trials. Felt like lot less of a grind while technically it is roughly the same rounds.
New style does have a Higher potentials for BC thou, since you face more 6*s

It has been roughly a Year. Do you still miss the Old arena 111 votes

I prefer the Old arena's
23%
Antony687jdrum663CondemnedToeSundance_2099VerzzCropDusterflygamerKiptonadeGrootman1294SmokieisgodAleorIvarTheBonelessphil56201Razor_360LpooYoLo1130ishJoseOkZeuszeroGr8TonyStark 26 votes
I prefer the current arena's
76%
DNA3000winterthurGamerTheJalliMagicBentonDeadbyrd9heruheru511zuffySpeedbumpTerraBlackPhoenix44AinycaptaincushNOOOOOOOOPEEEEEKennadoShadowstrikeTotal_Domin01CassyBrokenRasilover 85 votes

Comments

• NoobdaNoobda Posts: 787 ★★★
    Used to it now tbh
  • LorddrewLorddrew Posts: 297 ★★
    They should increase the units from arena! drop rates are sheit, deals are costing us 10-12k? (or 600$)
    Makes this game actually fun for marvel lovers and i am a happy man XD
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

I miss the less old basic arena before 6*s got castrated for sure.

Personally, I don't even miss that one. We now have a first run featured arena that the big boys can compete in, and a secondary 6* arena that smaller roster players can compete in. Not just for the 6* champ, but also for the 5* champ which is a much more accessible target for more arena players. The basic 5, the featured 5, and the basic and featured 6s are all different targets requiring different amounts of effort and attractive to different players.

The initial updated basic would have been better for me personally, but I think the current one is better for a wider range of players, and I'm fine with that. Enlightened self-interest tells me making the game better for a wider range of players is ultimately better for my own interests in playing the game for a long time to come.
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,733 ★★★★★
    I think the current ones are better than the old ones by a mile. The only thing I miss is the dedicated 3* arena. It was fun to be able to use almost all of the champions in the game. With Summoner's Trial, I only tend to use the same sets of 4*s over and over again which leads to a fair amount of repetition. I could use 3*s...but I could also use boosted 4*s and earn more points, so I think I'll stick to that.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I miss the less old basic arena before 6*s got castrated for sure.

Personally, I don't even miss that one. We now have a first run featured arena that the big boys can compete in, and a secondary 6* arena that smaller roster players can compete in. Not just for the 6* champ, but also for the 5* champ which is a much more accessible target for more arena players. The basic 5, the featured 5, and the basic and featured 6s are all different targets requiring different amounts of effort and attractive to different players.

The initial updated basic would have been better for me personally, but I think the current one is better for a wider range of players, and I'm fine with that. Enlightened self-interest tells me making the game better for a wider range of players is ultimately better for my own interests in playing the game for a long time to come.
    I won't even try and lie here and say I just don't care about the wider players personally on this one. The original 6* basic arena would benefit me greatly and I'd much rather have it back.

I don't think the current scoring does anything for long term health personally. I just think it gives smaller rosters a false hope of actually competing. At the end of the day, if a champ is genuinely worth a grind, the big rosters will win out.
  • Kpratish1997Kpratish1997 Posts: 119
    All i miss is old map 6. 😡
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    I love the new Arenas. If anything they've been more free to play friendly and I don't have to purchase crystals anymore to try my luck with the new champion just to add them in my collection because at least I get the guaranteed three and four star in the milestones.

And also the shards I'm getting from these new Arenas build up my roster so those five and six stars I'll be facing off against are usually being met by my five and six star Champs.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,793 ★★★★★
    I prefer the Old arena's
    I miss being able to play in the featured arena since they made it progression based.
  • Angryneeson52Angryneeson52 Posts: 445 ★★★
    Nope
  • 30ish30ish Posts: 177 ★★
    I prefer the Old arena's
    Units farming was better due to splitting of stars.
  • GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    edited May 2022

I miss being able to play in the featured arena since they made it progression based.

To be fair here. It has been a year. That is more than enough time to get uncollected. Even if you did very little arena, and only got 150 units out of it every week you would have 7800 units by now. That is almost 200 revives.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,793 ★★★★★
    I prefer the Old arena's
    I only just got Conqueror, for crying out loud.
  • The_man001The_man001 Posts: 624 ★★★
    I prefer the new arenas and like those auto fill up on arena.. A time saver for casual arena players
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

I don't think the current scoring does anything for long term health personally. I just think it gives smaller rosters a false hope of actually competing. At the end of the day, if a champ is genuinely worth a grind, the big rosters will win out.

We can use scoring history to test that theory. In the featured arena, low desirability champs are going for about 55-80 million, which is within the reach of a semi-serious large roster player without spending. The high desirable champs are going for 140-200 million, which is outside the realm of all but the most serious grinders.

But that's for 6* champs, of which 200 players get those in the current arenas in each cycle (100 each). But 800 players have a shot at the 5* champs in those arenas, and for the majority of mid-tier players those 5* champs are still extremely useful to target and acquire. In the featured arena, those go for between 28 and 50 million, depending on desirability. For players with small or non-existent 6* rosters that's a lot of points to put up with 4* and 5* champs. It is a trivial amount for a large roster player to put up especially with 6* champs, so scores are never going to go lower than that no matter how undesirable the champ might be. It is simply too easy to score that high.

But in the basic arena, the 5* basic is going for between 15 and 20 million, which is actually less than half the points of the featured. 5* Sparky went for about 13 million in the basic. That's a very achievable score for a mid-tier grinder for what is still a very strong champion. If the basic used the same scoring as the featured, his cutoff would have been closer to 25-30 million and been more out of reach of those players.

We can debate the psychology and strategy of precisely why the current arenas work the way they do. But there's no question they are creating different segmented competitive areas: the 5* basic, the 5* featured, and the 6* champs. In terms of normalized effort people are putting in similar effort for the 6* featured and basic, but vastly less effort for the 5* featured and sufficiently low effort in the basic that a different class of grinders is having a shot at champs they otherwise would lose to players who barely care but would scoop up anyway.

These are not top tier competitions, but they are still competitions and they are competitions that different tiers of players have a reasonable shot at competing with, because the psychology of the arenas is creating those openings which would not exist to the same degree if both arenas used the same scoring system.
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,053 ★★★★★
    I prefer the Old arena's
    I used to do first 2-3 milestones in lower arenas for units, and was getting more of those then I do now, as units are the only reason to do arena imo