**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Pride month Event

2»

Comments

• Ironside47Ironside47 Posts: 461 ★★★
    Nice work @Kabam Miike

Let’s all just get on with each other.
  • Angryneeson52Angryneeson52 Posts: 445 ★★★

Marvel has always been about celebrating and championing diversity, and I'm very proud that we get to carry that on in-game.

The X-Men have always been probably one of the most obvious allegories for a plethora of civil rights movements in the past, and I think that's the reason many of us have felt so attached to them. They have long given many of us that felt different a sense of belonging and a way to feel "seen", and Characters to identify with. For many of us, it wasn't until years later that there were more literal representations of ourselves in the Comics/Shows/Movies we loved, and it makes me so happy to see that we are finally adding an LGBTQ+ couple to the game.

People often call small gestures like this "political", but it is absolutely not. Gay people exist and saying that is not political. When you say something like that, you are adding to the ongoing perception that some people's lives are "political", and that their sheer act of existing is a political statement.

We are not going to tolerate any Homophobia here. We have an entire event dedicated to Pride coming up, and it's the kind of Pride event WE want to throw, full of referential humour, and celebrating the diversity of our players, team, and our Champions.

You are free to not play the event, but we don't want the reasons for not wanting to play it (unless it's gameplay related... because that's what we're here to discuss), or why you think we don't need to celebrate Pride in the Contest. They are not necessary and are more hurtful than you might think.

For the record, from the moment that the Champion reveal trailer went live, the negative comments have been few and far between. We know that we have an amazing community that is very welcoming and kind.

We're looking forward to celebrating Pride with you all this June, and can't wait to share what we've been working on!

As long as the rewards aren’t tailored around cavs again and the inputs improve I’m a happy camper. That’s all I care about. These two new champs will be a welcomed addition to my roster.
  • magnus_xixmagnus_xix Posts: 2,020 ★★★★★

We're looking forward to celebrating Pride with you all this June, and can't wait to share what we've been working on!

• Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,532 ★★★★★

I’m queer myself and I think it’s tacky to release queer champs during pride month. I suppose I’m glad that there will be more queer characters, but I’d rather they be released in any other month as doing it pride month makes it feel fetishized

I understand where you're coming from. I find myself disenfranchised by the political parties and companies feigning support in Pride when their policies aren't centered around inclusion. I don't see that in this case. This particular company has always taken a stance on being supportive and sensitive to issues.
    Big W right there.
  • bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,147 ★★★
    edited May 2022
    🧐Wiccan SP2 looks bad arse aka good 👍
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,725 ★★★★★
    Rvz said:

Ercarret said:

It's probably not a coincidence that they are released on Pride month, no.

As for who I'm more hyped for...none, really. I have no idea who they are in the comics aside from some general stuff like Wiccan being Wanda's kid and Hulkling being his partner. That's about as deep as my well of lore goes on those two.

My reasons for being interested in them are more due to gameplay stuff. Hulkling will be the first cosmic this year, and I'm kind of excited about that. I think Wiccan will be the last featured champion in the next featured 6* crystal (which already looks pretty dope), so I hope he's awesome as well and elevates that crystal even more.

As both Rintrah and Wong are mystic, I guess the last featured champion will be Hulkling in the next featured crystal.
    Oh, yeah, you're probably right. I saw Wiccan getting introduced first in the trailer, but it would make sense for Hulkling to come to the game first.

Either way, I hope whichever champion rounds out that crystal is great. Obviously that goes for the other champ as well, even if I'm not as immediately excited for a champ that I won't have a realistic chance to get my hands on for quite a lot of months yet.
  • Burrito2525Burrito2525 Posts: 506 ★★★

Marvel has always been about celebrating and championing diversity, and I'm very proud that we get to carry that on in-game.

The X-Men have always been probably one of the most obvious allegories for a plethora of civil rights movements in the past, and I think that's the reason many of us have felt so attached to them. They have long given many of us that felt different a sense of belonging and a way to feel "seen", and Characters to identify with. For many of us, it wasn't until years later that there were more literal representations of ourselves in the Comics/Shows/Movies we loved, and it makes me so happy to see that we are finally adding an LGBTQ+ couple to the game.

People often call small gestures like this "political", but it is absolutely not. Gay people exist and saying that is not political. When you say something like that, you are adding to the ongoing perception that some people's lives are "political", and that their sheer act of existing is a political statement.

We are not going to tolerate any Homophobia here. We have an entire event dedicated to Pride coming up, and it's the kind of Pride event WE want to throw, full of referential humour, and celebrating the diversity of our players, team, and our Champions.

You are free to not play the event, but we don't want the reasons for not wanting to play it (unless it's gameplay related... because that's what we're here to discuss), or why you think we don't need to celebrate Pride in the Contest. They are not necessary and are more hurtful than you might think.

For the record, from the moment that the Champion reveal trailer went live, the negative comments have been few and far between. We know that we have an amazing community that is very welcoming and kind.

Bravo @Kabam Miike
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★

I’m queer myself and I think it’s tacky to release queer champs during pride month. I suppose I’m glad that there will be more queer characters, but I’d rather they be released in any other month as doing it pride month makes it feel fetishized

I understand where you're coming from. I find myself disenfranchised by the political parties and companies feigning support in Pride when their policies aren't centered around inclusion. I don't see that in this case. This particular company has always taken a stance on being supportive and sensitive to issues.
    Kabam has a good track record with queer characters imo. I think that Chavez and Herc were introduced at good times (admittedly I don’t remember if Herc also came out in June though) and there wasn’t a lot of fuss about it.
    What I’m primarily put off by this time is the Pride event. Actually, it’s Pride month in general but that’s hardly Kabam’s fault. Having a pride event seems more like tokenism than representation. It’s saying that being queer isn’t normal and should be celebrated for it and that’s not how I think it should be handled. Being queer shouldn’t be anything to celebrate or considered not normal. We don’t have Brown Hair or Blue Eyes pride month and I think that being queer should be treated the same. It’s hard for a Soviet to fully normalize and accept differences when those differences are constantly being “celebrated” and being made into big deals. Sexuality shouldn’t be any more noteworthy or celebratory worthy than having brown hair or blue eyes. It’s just something that some people are, it shouldn’t be a big deal to anyone. I hope that makes sense.
    No, I understand where you're coming from and I have hopes that we will get there. The problem is we're not there yet. Pride began with Stonewall, when the Queens and Queers grew tired of the abuse and the arrests, and hiding in dark corners. Since then it's become a movement of inclusion. The years of protests and fighting have brought us far, but it's not where we need to be. The ultimate goal is so people are accepted and included regardless of their orientation and gender identity. A time when people don't HAVE to come out because they just are. A time when all people are seen as equal.
    While many places recognize this, there is still internal and external rejection and societal pressures. The hateful may be few and far between in some cultures, but there are others that it's a death sentence. It takes a long time to enlighten a couple thousand years of programming.
    People still struggle with it. They hate themselves for being born in a world that tells them they don't fit in with the norm. Some even succumb to suicide because of it. Even in Western society.
    Pride is not about claiming to be special or better. Pride is about showing people there are others who love them, that there is a place in the world where it's safe to be themselves. The celebration is about healing the darkness, not segregating ourselves. Some people believe fighting hate with hate works. That's not the true meaning of Pride.
    Love your insight on this, really interesting to see. I know that pride means different things to different people, but I don’t think it means anyone is better than anyone else.

I agree that we are hoping and building towards a future where we don’t need a pride month, because there’s no need to recognise, celebrate or push for representation. Where no young children have the need to have a month where they’re told it’s ok to be who they are. Where people aren’t killed or face discrimination because of who they love. But unfortunately that’s not the world we live in, yet.

@StevieManWonder one day the idea of a pride month will be as silly as having blue eyes. But until that day, I feel it’s important to show anyone who worries that being gay will mean they face a harder life that there are people that will accept them, and it’s ok. When pride says be proud of your sexuality, it’s not saying because you’re better or there’s more cause for celebration. It’s saying be proud of your sexuality because it’s just as ok to be gay, as it is to be straight.
    Yeah that’s fair.
  • GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 785 ★★★★
    Ironically, were it not for this thread I might never have known it was Pride Month in June

At least, not for now.

Anyway, their relationship is the least of my worries (a bit like Hercules, I was more like "oh, this exists?") - I just want to see how they perform.
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★

Ironically, were it not for this thread I might never have known it was Pride Month in June

At least, not for now.

Anyway, their relationship is the least of my worries (a bit like Hercules, I was more like "oh, this exists?") - I just want to see how they perform.

I though pride month was April lol
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★
    Skiddy212 said:

Unio77 said:

G00SE_ said:

what is this thread 🗿

It’s crazy. It’s like all the community’s anger, that should be directed at kabam, is just mindlessly attacking any forum post it seems. It’s quite sad

Not mindlessly. I would suggest you take some time to look at the horrible comments made aboutnnext months champs solely becuase they are homosexual.
    This is wrong. There is no horrible comment about the champs next month (at least here). This thread has become much more than just the champs an is escalated but comments like these, among others that were said.

I went through the thread an people are not excited for the champions for literally any other reason other than their sexuality, Most people wouldn’t even know about it if it wasn’t for this thread.

Idk why kabam reopened this closed thread. Kabam mike’s comment should’ve been the end of this discussion….however here we are
    It's not just here that you have to look at. Here the moderators can get rid of any negative criticisms about the characters. But you go to YouTube or Twitter and look at some of those comments and you'll see that there are people there who complained both that it's either not Quicksilver or some other wish list champion as well as complaints about celebrating pride month.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Skiddy212 said:

Unio77 said:

G00SE_ said:

what is this thread 🗿

It’s crazy. It’s like all the community’s anger, that should be directed at kabam, is just mindlessly attacking any forum post it seems. It’s quite sad

Not mindlessly. I would suggest you take some time to look at the horrible comments made aboutnnext months champs solely becuase they are homosexual.
    This is wrong. There is no horrible comment about the champs next month (at least here). This thread has become much more than just the champs an is escalated but comments like these, among others that were said.

I went through the thread an people are not excited for the champions for literally any other reason other than their sexuality, Most people wouldn’t even know about it if it wasn’t for this thread.

Idk why kabam reopened this closed thread. Kabam mike’s comment should’ve been the end of this discussion….however here we are
    It's not just here that you have to look at. Here the moderators can get rid of any negative criticisms about the characters. But you go to YouTube or Twitter and look at some of those comments and you'll see that there are people there who complained both that it's either not Quicksilver or some other wish list champion as well as complaints about celebrating pride month.
    Yep, Skiddy must have missed all the horrific comments about next months champions that got deleted.

You just have to take a look at Facebook or YouTube or Twitter like you said.

As for getting excited for the champions, I was so hyped for Wiccan while watching the video before I even knew he was gay. His animations are awesome, his model is so cool and I am in need of a new mystic to invest in so I’m hyped for him. Hulkling less so, he doesn’t really excite me that much.
  • Skiddy212Skiddy212 Posts: 1,101 ★★★★

Skiddy212 said:

Unio77 said:

G00SE_ said:

what is this thread 🗿

Yep, Skiddy must have missed all the horrific comments about next months champions that got deleted.

You just have to take a look at Facebook or YouTube or Twitter like you said.

As for getting excited for the champions, I was so hyped for Wiccan while watching the video before I even knew he was gay. His animations are awesome, his model is so cool and I am in need of a new mystic to invest in so I’m hyped for him. Hulkling less so, he doesn’t really excite me that much.
    Not that I miss, I just don’t care to look or care at all this is a game. I want champs to fight with idc about anything else.

I share your sentiment, Wiccan looks awesome, I hope he is viable. Hulkling, not a fan, never liked his look in comics to begin with. People wanted speed but were getting quicksilver an they are basically the same, hence why Wiccan is much more popular. He’s different.
This discussion has been closed.