**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

60 vs 120 hz screen

GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
Hi, I have been snooping around on the forums about 120hz refresh rates. In about 3 weeks I will get a new phone that will have 120hz refresh rate. Have the input problems become any better for these screens? Or is it better to just set it to 60hz?

And does anyone know if a samsung can limit the refresh rate for only 1 game and automatically switch over to 120hz when I close down the game? Or do I need to toggle it on and off myself?
Galaxy A52s if that matters.

Comments

• Options
    Rohit_316Rohit_316 Posts: 3,386 ★★★★★
    I currently use One plus nord 90 HZ and can definitely feel the difference between current and my old 60 HZ phone .
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @Rohit_316 A positive difference? Or do you mean random heavies and strange interactions with input?

Outside of the normal input issues we are already currently facing ofcourse.
  • Options
    pikapika Posts: 74
    Having 120hz or above refresh rate phones makes the game run smoother, and also a bit more responsive since most of those panels come with a higher-touch sampling rate than regular phones (most gaming phones on the market have even higher numbers)
    Touch Sampling Rate means the speed at which a screen can register your touch and respond by rendering the next frame.
    The MCOC unfortunately is famous for having tons of bugs, one of them being reducing the frame rates to half of your display refresh rate, which means if you have a 120hz display, it will turn it to 60fps in the game or even less during the fight. Regardless having a higher refresh rate phone and bigger Touch Sampling Rate helps to improve your enjoyment while playing. Altho nothing can help you when parry/dex don't work or fight a dumb AI who refuses to cooperate with you no matter your skill or hardware.
    @Giuliameij when u get your phone, make sure to toggle it on 120hz, not auto mode since it registers at many phones as 60 when playing mcoc. There are certain phones like Asus ROG that have profile options on each game and you can run custom settings on them, but that's it.
  • Options
    NimorNimor Posts: 110
    On android it seems you are getting half your refresh rate as max fps, meaning a 120hz screen will give you 60fps. I changed to a 120hz phone a few months ago and i can say it made a huge difference for the better. Gameplay is much smoother and so many timing windows got less punishing like dexing sps or double dexing back. It almost felt like cheating at the start cause i was so sure my timing was slightly off and i should have been clipped and i wasn't. So far no real input problems. Not sure if i just got lucky or if it is device specific but i won't even consider anything less than 120hz for my next phone if i m still playing mcoc.
    Don't forget to check that your chipset is good enough for mcoc cause it's not only the screen refresh rate at play here. If i m not mistaken a52 comes with snapdragon 7xxG (dont rem the exact one) which is the middle series. I ve only tested mcoc on android with 8xx series and never had any real problems so far.
  • Options
    Rohit_316Rohit_316 Posts: 3,386 ★★★★★

@Rohit_316 A positive difference? Or do you mean random heavies and strange interactions with input?

Outside of the normal input issues we are already currently facing ofcourse.

Positive difference mate !! Screen loads much faster , hang has reduced
  • Options
    Nimor said:

On android it seems you are getting half your refresh rate as max fps, meaning a 120hz screen will give you 60fps. I changed to a 120hz phone a few months ago and i can say it made a huge difference for the better. Gameplay is much smoother and so many timing windows got less punishing like dexing sps or double dexing back. It almost felt like cheating at the start cause i was so sure my timing was slightly off and i should have been clipped and i wasn't. So far no real input problems. Not sure if i just got lucky or if it is device specific but i won't even consider anything less than 120hz for my next phone if i m still playing mcoc.
    Don't forget to check that your chipset is good enough for mcoc cause it's not only the screen refresh rate at play here. If i m not mistaken a52 comes with snapdragon 7xxG (dont rem the exact one) which is the middle series. I ve only tested mcoc on android with 8xx series and never had any real problems so far.

@Nimor thank you. It indeed is a 778g chip. Outside of mcoc I don`t really play any games on my phone. And I only play on my phone when on the move. So I don`t really need a really powerful phone that will cost me a couple 100 extra. Currently I have a phone that has a geekbench of 478 and the galaxy a52s has a score of 713. So I think it should be fine. My current phone runs the game quite decently (until it started to have problems outside of the games fault).
    I was just wondering about random heavies etc which I read about. But that seemed to mostly occure on phone that have a dynamic refresh rate.
    Just wanted to make sure.
  • Options
    pika said:

Having 120hz or above refresh rate phones makes the game run smoother, and also a bit more responsive since most of those panels come with a higher-touch sampling rate than regular phones (most gaming phones on the market have even higher numbers)
    Touch Sampling Rate means the speed at which a screen can register your touch and respond by rendering the next frame.
    The MCOC unfortunately is famous for having tons of bugs, one of them being reducing the frame rates to half of your display refresh rate, which means if you have a 120hz display, it will turn it to 60fps in the game or even less during the fight. Regardless having a higher refresh rate phone and bigger Touch Sampling Rate helps to improve your enjoyment while playing. Altho nothing can help you when parry/dex don't work or fight a dumb AI who refuses to cooperate with you no matter your skill or hardware.
    @Giuliameij when u get your phone, make sure to toggle it on 120hz, not auto mode since it registers at many phones as 60 when playing mcoc. There are certain phones like Asus ROG that have profile options on each game and you can run custom settings on them, but that's it.

Great to know the responses are good. I was afraid of getting random heavies I saw people talking about.