**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

I love this month loading screen BUT…

Dumal2015Dumal2015 Posts: 5
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
Isn’t copyright infringement to use Nasa’s official images for commercial purpose?

That’s Pluto btw

Comments

• Dumal2015Dumal2015 Posts: 5
    Lol, I doubt the game would be taken down but they could sure receive a take down notice n have to replace the loading screen
    I remember when OG Miles n Luke Cage had animations copied from characters from other game. Kabam acknowledged the fact n took action.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★

Imagine they sue Kabam and the game closes down. All thanks to you.
    Jokes aside, this is what NASA says:

- If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services.

- NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material.

it’s a planet (sorry, “dwarf” planet) in outer space

it ain’t nasa’s
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    NASA is an agency of the government. They're public domain.
  • CederCeder Posts: 668 ★★★
    NASA don't own the planets
  • TheAngryOneTheAngryOne Posts: 436 ★★★
    Better call Saul
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,757 ★★★★★
    Of all the things to complain about in game like still busted inputs, you worry about a picture of a couple planets. Lots of things to worry about in game but this ain't one of them.
  • Total_Domin01Total_Domin01 Posts: 1,015 ★★★★

Buttehrs said:

Of all the things to complain about in game like still busted inputs, you worry about a picture of a couple planets. Lots of things to worry about in game but this ain't one of them.

Chillll dawg...This is a light hearted post.

And top notch observation, finding Pluto.
    I also know the heart shaped Pluto terrain, but I wasn't expecting it on a game wallpaper.
    Good stuff.
    It was actually refreshing among all the:
    - Look at my roster
    - What do I do now
    - Explain the game
    - Pointless poll #x
    You forgot general complaining
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,136 ★★★★★
    Ceder said:

They own the photo of the planets - which is what is being discussed.

NASA typically allows images it shares publicly to be used commercially under certain guidelines including not having any identifiable logos or persons in them:

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html

Some copyright licencing info for those interested:

https://simmons.libguides.com/c.php?g=372344&p=2513461#:~:text=What is Fair Use?,from the copyright holder first.
  • WarlockjrWarlockjr Posts: 778 ★★★

Imagine they sue Kabam and the game closes down. All thanks to you.
    Jokes aside, this is what NASA says:

- If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services.

- NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material.

it’s a planet (sorry, “dwarf” planet) in outer space

it ain’t nasa’s
    nasa found it tho i think i do not really pay attention to that
  • UltimatheoryUltimatheory Posts: 520 ★★★

How did you possibly even notice this

I always recognize Pluto solely because of this gif now.

I still wouldn’t have made a forum post to complain about it though.
    Bugmat78 said:

Ceder said:

NASA typically allows images it shares publicly to be used commercially under certain guidelines including not having any identifiable logos or persons in them:

https://simmons.libguides.com/c.php?g=372344&p=2513461#:~:text=What is Fair Use?,from the copyright holder first.
    We're talking about the photos of planets. They're not copyright. They're public domain. I never referenced the logo.
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,999 ★★★★★
    Bugmat78 said:

Ceder said:

I am begging people not to rely on google for this. That article is woefully insufficient to get a grasp on fair use and copyright issues. It’s so much deeper than a 1-2 page article can cover.

Bugmat78 said:

Ceder said:

We're talking about the photos of planets. They're not copyright. They're public domain. I never referenced the logo.
    Just because something is not explicitly copyrighted does not make it public domain. There are other IP protections that may be in place. Per their policies, NASA does not typically copyright their images. But that does not mean they are public domain. There are still some restrictions on use, which is not the case for public domain property.

• Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,999 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022

This is where the legal definitions and the common definitions start to split in a very pedantic way. The quote in your screenshot comes from Wikipedia, which is helpful for understanding general ideas. Here is the legal definition from Cornell Law School (sloppy highlighting is mine):

NASA images are *functionally* in the public domain. There is basically no situation in which you’ll find yourself that runs afoul of NASA’s policies on this because they want these images to be used far and wide. However, they do clearly retain the ability to place restrictions on how the images are used (as evidenced by their media guidelines page dictating rules for certain, very specific situations and requiring credit to be given). This implies a degree of ownership, and legally speaking that is contradictory to a work being in the public domain. So despite having almost all of the trappings and consequences of public domain, it isn’t quite there.

tl;dr:

NASA images can be used for basically anything because NASA says they’re cool with it.
    Wicket329 said:

This is where the legal definitions and the common definitions start to split in a very pedantic way. The quote in your screenshot comes from Wikipedia, which is helpful for understanding general ideas. Here is the legal definition from Cornell Law School (sloppy highlighting is mine):

NASA images are *functionally* in the public domain. There is basically no situation in which you’ll find yourself that runs afoul of NASA’s policies on this because they want these images to be used far and wide. However, they do clearly retain the ability to place restrictions on how the images are used (as evidenced by their media guidelines page dictating rules for certain, very specific situations and requiring credit to be given). This implies a degree of ownership, and legally speaking that is contradictory to a work being in the public domain. So despite having almost all of the trappings and consequences of public domain, it isn’t quite there.

tl;dr:

NASA images can be used for basically anything because NASA says they’re cool with it.
    Thank you for the clarification.
  • As a follow up, using the upcoming Artemis I mission as an example, below is Artemis I’s trajectory (in stages, and duration) that NASA has put out. Tentative launch Monday Aug 29th between 8:30 and 10:30 am.

And below that is the Public Domain and Licensing info for the image, as specified with it's link from Wikipedia.

So while this one would not have been able to be used within the game itself because it contains the NASA Logo (although it is available for non-commercial use), the one of Pluto would not have that restriction. FYI, Pluto photo used was generated from NASA's New Horizons Spacecraft (2015).