**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why hide champs?

AdokAdok Posts: 274 ★★
Basically the title. Why hide who the next champs are gonna be when the devs have it planned out months in advance and they usually get leaked an entire month beforehand anyway. I get why you'd hide the champs for movie releases but I have no idea why not for any other regular old month as wouldn't it bring more hype if you reveal them beforehand? There could be some obvious thing I'm missing but I just don't really get it.

Comments

• SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    New stuff is the only reason I’m interested in the game
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    Everybody wants to know what the future has in store until they find out what the future has in store.

Plus I'm sure there's some aspect of it that would affect things from a business perspective because if you were to find out every event, every champion and every big sale coming up for the next 12 months, you would see a considerable amount of financial dips and Peaks that would affect kabam's bottom line and depending on the amount of lull between one Peak and another, that would be enough of a deficit to cause the higher-ups to finally notice and take drastic action up to and including closing the servers for unstable performance, especially if Mirrorverse takes off to be a reliable source of income.

But mostly... You'd ruin the surprise!
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    The fact that someone data mines the information and violates the game isn't a justifiable reason to prematurely release the info.
  • DogfoodLidDogfoodLid Posts: 130
    Kabam Jax said:

I'll provide some insight here!

Champion reveals require a particularly delicate balance. Too early, people forget about the champion by the time they join the contest; too late and people don't have time to be excited.

For example, if we were to tell you now who was coming out each month for the next X months it wouldn't allow the game team the freedom to make changes as they deem necessary. As pointed out in this thread, historically, the community does not react well to deviation to the plan. You could argue that we provide an update every time something changes, but on a timeline that long we are creating a lot of unnecessary work for everyone involved.

So, instead, we strive for a shorter timeline and focusing on one month's release at a time. This allows us to put an appropriate spotlight on each duo of new champions, giving them their time to shine, instead of having them ignored for something potentially months down the line.

Yes, leaks happen. Obviously, we wish that didn't happen (and they're not always right). But the pattern we operate on is a good blend of information and building excitement for new content!

I know this is an over-explanation for this topic, but the champ reveal cadence is something that I find particularly interesting.

So whens the release date for 6* Scarlett Witch? She shows in unowned 6* now. Im excitedly waiting
  • AidenTheWiseAidenTheWise Posts: 311 ★★
    Okay but when are Ant Man buff details?!
  • VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★

Okay but when are Ant Man buff details?!

Highly likely next week. We still got 2 weeks to go for this monthly cycle.
  • TrenzaloreTrenzalore Posts: 182 ★★★
    Because they don’t want you to be able to save up for a particular champion. They would prefer people spend a lot trying to get Quicksilver, then realize they are releasing a new Dr. Doom (Infamous Iron Man) and spend the same or more once you’ve already spent what you would have saved for him*.

This is just a example if you know a champion is coming down the line you might be less interested in spend on the current one.
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,394 ★★★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

Champion reveals require a particularly delicate balance. Too early, people forget about the champion by the time they join the contest; too late and people don't have time to be excited.

For example, if we were to tell you now who was coming out each month for the next X months it wouldn't allow the game team the freedom to make changes as they deem necessary. As pointed out in this thread, historically, the community does not react well to deviation to the plan. You could argue that we provide an update every time something changes, but on a timeline that long we are creating a lot of unnecessary work for everyone involved.

So, instead, we strive for a shorter timeline and focusing on one month's release at a time. This allows us to put an appropriate spotlight on each duo of new champions, giving them their time to shine, instead of having them ignored for something potentially months down the line.

Yes, leaks happen. Obviously, we wish that didn't happen (and they're not always right). But the pattern we operate on is a good blend of information and building excitement for new content!

I know this is an over-explanation for this topic, but the champ reveal cadence is something that I find particularly interesting.

Off topic but curious whenever we get new monthly quest and drops does the team already working on next month quest or are they working on 2 mons ahead. For example august quest drops so does it mean September is being worked on or they already on October month?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,756 ★★★★★

Kabam Jax said:

Off topic but curious whenever we get new monthly quest and drops does the team already working on next month quest or are they working on 2 mons ahead. For example august quest drops so does it mean September is being worked on or they already on October month?
    I believe they are anywhere from 4-6 months ahead so if Aug just dropped they'd actually be working on December stuff. Could be wrong though.
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Kabam Jax said:

I believe they are anywhere from 4-6 months ahead so if Aug just dropped they'd actually be working on December stuff. Could be wrong though.
    That's what we were told a couple years back but we don't know if between the input issues and the reported staffing issues if that's changed in any way. But at the very least they should have the next 6 months of Champions under various stages of construction and or preparation.

And in regards to the buff program, we were initially told that a buff could take up to 3 months under the current system (it used to be closer to 6 months but that was back in the days when we had a month long beta trial testing for select Summoners) and they've already announced that they in various stages of complete on the Buffs for Ant-Man and Rocket Raccoon.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

Buttehrs said:

Kabam Jax said:

That's what we were told a couple years back but we don't know if between the input issues and the reported staffing issues if that's changed in any way.
    I'm not sure what staffing issues you're referring to, but the input system issues are not worked on by content developers. That's the purview of system programmers and engineers. Such work would not in any direct way impact the way the content developers or champion designers do their thing.