**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

End of Gifting... [master-thread]

Comments

• BigManOnCampusBigManOnCampus Posts: 376 ★★★

Lol at the alt farmers and ggc addicts hitting the forums in outrage. It is a good thing this toxic event has been removed/changed. The worst time of the year. Just remove it totally and it wont be missed.

100% agree , every year bring more shenanigans ... 😎
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    I mean I pushed to level 55 / cavalier but ok. Shut it down
  • SuelGamesSuelGames Posts: 925 ★★★
    GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

YALL WHALES CAN CRY ME A RIVER LOOL
  • CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

Rofl . Tell me u didnt understand the issue without telling me u didnt understand the issue...
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    Murkz said:

You know its the piss poor players who don't spend shiz or grind out units all year for this event who think "this is a great idea'.

And not sure how Kasham combating that 3% (which is massively inflated I would say the cheaters are more like 1% of player base) supercedes the other 99% of us?

Poor show Kablam. Poor show

I spend, I grind, and I've been saying for a while I'm surprised gifting has lasted this long.

99% of the playerbase doesn't whale out on GGCs. 99% of the playerbase doesn't grind alt farms for gifting. This change is not going to hurt 99% of the players. In fact, this is unlikely to hurt the whales, who will almost certainly have a new way to spend money on the game post-gifting. This is unlikely to hurt the conventional arena grinders who will still be able to use their large unit stashes to buy themselves some goodies at the end of the year.

This hurts the very very tiny percentage of players who did substantial alt-farming, the small number of players who were using the gifting event for things like contest prizes, and a sizeable bunch of people exploiting the event for profit.

This whole idea of the end of the gifting event hurting 99% of the player population is ludicrous. 99% of the players weren't doing anything that the shift from gifting to whatever else comes along is going to negatively impact. I would be surprised if even 0.5% of the players was negatively affected (that we didn't want negatively affected).
  • AddyosAddyos Posts: 1,090 ★★★★
    Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

Rofl . Tell me u didnt understand the issue without telling me u didnt understand the issue...
    I can recall one “whale” last year who racked up enough r4 material from GGCs to have at least FIVE r4 6*s in no time. When the materials to have that many r4’s weren’t in game as yet and before rank rewards came out, which gave top-ranked players a r3-r4 gem after the Event ended.

You would think said whale would place highly in the rank rewards due to opening so many GGCs, but when the rankings came out, his name was nowhere to be found. Not top 30, not even top 100. It was not hard to deduce how this “whale” was able to splurge on GGCs without placing in ranked rewards, unless this well-known whale had an even bigger whale gifting him hundreds of thousands of GGCs for free. Which I highly doubt.

These will be the whales who may be crying a river as they can’t exploit the Gifting Event, in the manner described above, anymore.
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,503 ★★★★★
    Why didn't Kabam punish those accounts that clearly abused it? They have the data.
    Coppin said:

Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

I can recall one “whale” last year who racked up enough r4 material from GGCs to have at least FIVE r4 6*s in no time. When the materials to have that many r4’s weren’t in game as yet and before rank rewards came out, which gave top-ranked players a r3-r4 gem after the Event ended.

You would think said whale would place highly in the rank rewards due to opening so many GGCs, but when the rankings came out, his name was nowhere to be found. Not top 30, not even top 100. It was not hard to deduce how this “whale” was able to splurge on GGCs without placing in ranked rewards, unless this well-known whale had an even bigger whale gifting him hundreds of thousands of GGCs for free. Which I highly doubt.

These will be the whales who may be crying a river as they can’t exploit the Gifting Event, in the manner described above, anymore.
    Once again.. WHALES WILL STILL BUY THE NEW CRYSTALS THAT CAN'T BE TRADED.. It won't change anything for them
    What Addyos is saying is there are people who acquired a ton of GGCs not by being whales, actual people spending tons of their actual money on GGCs. *Those* people are going to be fine, as they will just shift from trading tons of crystals to just straight up buying them. True whales will if anything come out ahead, because they no longer have to deal with the extra hassle of finding partners. He's referring to "whales" that were getting whale-tier stuff but apparently not spending any money or units.

Someone who gets a gigaton of GGCs but doesn't show up on the leaderboards is probably not really a whale (thus the quotation marks), they are almost certainly doing something very questionable in some way. If they get a ton of GGCs, they presumably bought a ton to trade with other players. They should show up on the leaderboards. A player that receives that many GGCs but doesn't buy any is either the most beloved player in the game or someone doing something very shady.
    DNA3000 said:

Coppin said:

Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

Once again.. WHALES WILL STILL BUY THE NEW CRYSTALS THAT CAN'T BE TRADED.. It won't change anything for them
    What Addyos is saying is there are people who acquired a ton of GGCs not by being whales, actual people spending tons of their actual money on GGCs. *Those* people are going to be fine, as they will just shift from trading tons of crystals to just straight up buying them. True whales will if anything come out ahead, because they no longer have to deal with the extra hassle of finding partners. He's referring to "whales" that were getting whale-tier stuff but apparently not spending any money or units.

Someone who gets a gigaton of GGCs but doesn't show up on the leaderboards is probably not really a whale (thus the quotation marks), they are almost certainly doing something very questionable in some way. If they get a ton of GGCs, they presumably bought a ton to trade with other players. They should show up on the leaderboards. A player that receives that many GGCs but doesn't buy any is either the most beloved player in the game or someone doing something very shady.
    And Kabam knew what they did and did nothing. Doesn't make any sense.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

A whale can create an alt account to gift himself like any other player, he won’t be reciprocating the gifts so will not be showing up on the leaderboard himself, his alt will; he could have multiple alts to boost those accounts for numerous reasons as well. Or yes he could buy third party ggcs but the leaderboard will not tell you one way or the other.
  • TrapKill66TrapKill66 Posts: 96
    Hi,

Some thoughts:
    So, the 'spirit' of a gifting event during the holiday season is to give gifts. I get that. It makes sense. And giving gifts to oneself may sound strange, but is very common practise. Now that the event is changing and no longer involves gifting during a time of giving, it seems to me that the event should also not involve expenditure. My thinking on this is that the holiday season is not a time when I want or am able to spend money on this game. It's possibly the worst time for a 'non-gifting' event to occur. My thoughts and feelings are that the gifting event will transform into a spending event, and that this is poor practise. I know this is an assumption I have made, but based on what I have seen in the past I feel it's valid/possible/likely.

I really look forward to the various shards the event offered, and the possibly of another trophy champ. 4 star Thanos was really just a tease.

I'm hoping that the event isn't becoming a cash grab at a time when many people do not have cash to be grabbed.

I await further communication.

-TrapKill :|
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Odds this is simply replaced with a store awarding points for milestones and rank rewards based on how many units you spend? Very high.
  • CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    DNA3000 said:

Coppin said:

Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

Yes i got that part.. but lets say they spent 1000 dollars thru illegimate ggc... They will still spend 1000 dollars in this crystals.. it might not be the same ammount of crystals, but it will still be a lot...
    Also as other people have said.. ITS A GIFTING EVENT, NOT A TRADING ONE. A whale can use an alt to gift himself and it wouldnt show on the scoreboard. Legitimate transactions or not, if they have the money they could do it...

Example:
    Main Account Name: Whale
    2nd Account: NotWhale
    Whale is not gonna go around his alliance asking.. hey someone wanna trade 500 dollars worth of ggc...so what does he do... Load the NotWhale and send to Whale...
    Now are all those transactions legitimate?.. We dont know...it could be GGC black market.. could be legit transactions...
    Now with the new crystals.. he will just buy them for himself...
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,681 ★★★★★

Hi,

Some thoughts:
    So, the 'spirit' of a gifting event during the holiday season is to give gifts. I get that. It makes sense. And giving gifts to oneself may sound strange, but is very common practise. Now that the event is changing and no longer involves gifting during a time of giving, it seems to me that the event should also not involve expenditure. My thinking on this is that the holiday season is not a time when I want or am able to spend money on this game. It's possibly the worst time for a 'non-gifting' event to occur. My thoughts and feelings are that the gifting event will transform into a spending event, and that this is poor practise. I know this is an assumption I have made, but based on what I have seen in the past I feel it's valid/possible/likely.

I really look forward to the various shards the event offered, and the possibly of another trophy champ. 4 star Thanos was really just a tease.

I'm hoping that the event isn't becoming a cash grab at a time when many people do not have cash to be grabbed.

I await further communication.

-TrapKill :|

It was always a spending event for massive spenders anyways. They would literally spend 10k on the event every year. 10k dollars. Not units.

DNA3000 said:

Or does that 3% fraud that needs to be stomped out supersede all of the rest of us?

In this case, yes they do.

What we are allowed to do in a common shared environment is limited by what the worst of us attempts to do. They are the ones that make continuing to allow us that latitude to be too costly to continue, and they set the example for the slightly less unscrupulous to follow. The 3% that does the horrible and gets away with it encourages the next 3% that were not willing to follow suit to believe it is okay to go along with it, and now you have 6% doing horribly things setting the example for the next 10% of slightly less savory players to figure why not.

You then have the majority of players wondering why bother when every year more and more people aren't playing by the same rules, and an increasing number of players believing what they are doing is fully endorsed by the game operators and they are untouchable. Which, as they say,

Honest question.. using your logic.. should we end all governments... close all sports leagues... close all private business?
    I cannot think of any possible way to use my logic to reach that conclusion. If I said hey, people are conducting fraudulent activities in the game let's shut down the entire game then yes, using that logic, the natural conclusion would be that I was advocating shutting down anything that *contained* the possibility for fraud.

There is a huge difference between regulating activities within an environment, and obliterating that environment. The difference is the core principle of limited confining response. If the problem is that one particular event in the game is a) encouraging fraudulent activity, b) facilitating TOS-violating material exchanges, c) generating pervasive negative sentiment, d) being used by players to take advantage of other players, and e) is no longer being used for its originally intended purposes, then the obvious logical response is to first see if those problems are reparable, and if they are not to discontinue and replace this event with something that has a higher ratio of positive impact. Which is exactly what has been done.

Shutting down the entire game, then the entire games industry, then the world wide financial industry, then Earth, to resolve these problems would be taking somewhat larger actions than necessary, so I don't advocate that. And similarly, ending all governments because fraud exists in governments, ending all sports leagues because there is an element of cheating in those sports, or closing all private businesses because there exists fraud in some business activities would be equally ludicrous.

I don't know why some people equate logic with "if you want to go see the beach, might as well drive into the ocean." That's like saying if two plus two equals four, it probably equals all the other numbers as well, so two plus two also equals twelve.
  • AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

The validity of this claim is highly questionable.

On average, it took 850 GGCs for one T6B.

This player would have to have opened over 2.5 million units worth of crystals or $80,000+.

Not completely outside the realm of possibility but a huge raised eyebrow. People have repeatedly overvalued GGC drops when arguing against gifting.
  • TreininTreinin Posts: 208 ★★★
    @kabam
    Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners,
    Following up to answer some FAQs.

Why not tell us sooner?
    We've seen the criticisms stating that this should have been mentioned immediately after the last gifting event concluded. Ultimately, until very recently, we weren't sure what this year's holiday event would look like. With the amount of fraudulent activity, we weren't able to analyze the full impact until months into 2022. I know there were internal conversations about ways to provide an adjusted gifting event, but every avenue the game team explored lead to more problems. As was stated in the original post, we wanted to give everyone the opportunity to make decisions about how they'd spend their time; we did this as soon as we had an idea that the gifting event wouldn't happen this year, even with limited information about what the new event looks like. This communication came three months prior to a normal communication cadence for in-game events.

How are we supposed to get trophy champs, now?
    We haven't seen anything to suggest the replacement crystals would remove opportunity to acquire trophy champs. We will continue to keep an eye on the development of this event and will communicate as we have more information, likely closer to the holiday season.

What consumables can we gift?
    As the details about the new holiday event are still falling into place and there is still a lot to consider, we don't have a definitive list of what will be available. Expect more information closer to the launch of the new event.

Do you know what the level and progression requirements will be to gift consumables?
    Adevati said:

Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

This player would have to have opened over 2.5 million units worth of crystals or $80,000+.

Not completely outside the realm of possibility but a huge raised eyebrow. People have repeatedly overvalued GGC drops when arguing against gifting.
    I've seen bot farms with over a thousand accounts in them.
  • AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Adevati said:

Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

I've seen bot farms with over a thousand accounts in them.
    The conversation was about whales purchasing GGCs. The original commenter said they highly doubt this player received farmed GGCs.
  • Sw33tySw33ty Posts: 24
    This thread is going nowhere, just a bunch people agree and disagree, sad/salty and cheers, what more is people who think their opinion is by arguing is always right and knows better. I cannot tell which is it. Close this thread kabam.

Addyos said:

Coppin said:

SuelGames said:

GREAT MOVE BY KABAM!

A whale can create an alt account to gift himself like any other player, he won’t be reciprocating the gifts so will not be showing up on the leaderboard himself, his alt will; he could have multiple alts to boost those accounts for numerous reasons as well. Or yes he could buy third party ggcs but the leaderboard will not tell you one way or the other.
    And if said whale has a line chatroom promoting selling shady ggcs then is that okay. It's laughable they know who really cheated and they did nothing to those accounts and even let one of them pick a legendary crystal for summoners to choose from. If they claim there was 850k illegitimate ggcs then prove it. Drop the ban hammer.