**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Most important thing to advance in Battlegrounds?

ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
What do you believe is the most important part of BG?

Most important thing to advance in Battlegrounds? 114 votes

Skill of player
28%
MasterSmokeMagicBentonJerryJiverTerraGarloTarhundasTheTrueBeastspiderbites0196IvarTheBonelessjaymania82Mobile_P0tat0SpadeHunterMother_FlerkenkubricknolanMauledFiiNCHRocketWaffleCaptainDenversXguard77Giuliameij 33 votes
Stacked roster
37%
FrostyDrenlinbassalaSurya027yosskikiFurieuxmanveertherealMaxtheSilentFloorKillerGogeta91199AleorNapaHeroSCP1504SidDDragonFlappy_Ninja64AMS94Aomine_Daiki10FabwiziDoctorwho13Tactigon 43 votes
Manipulation of roster for easier matchups
16%
phillgreenDarth_StewieCap366KnightNvrEndingHolrosEwell65SSS69Skydad23ItsClobberinTimeIronman3000Dfour24KAYDAChatterofforumsGraves_3SirGamesBondJChillnShivacruxTribalChiefKyloMiniMF 19 votes
Pure luck
9%
Smokely7pikaLiquidkoldBg0807DeaconHipoceros_ReefAndimingaSearmenisFritoPlayNuclear 11 votes
Other, please explain
7%
DNA3000Eb0ny-O-M4wMoosetiptronicK00shMaanCoMinowHilbert_unbeatable2Bar1000SkarletWeech 8 votes

Comments

• FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    Skill of player
    100% skill of the player
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    I got sick of getting matched with people with 10 r4 6*s op defenders in Silver tier, so made some roster changes and have won 12 straight. That got me thinking, which led to this pull.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    Other, please explain
    Knowledge. It's not even close. Obviously skill matters but it's to a lesser degree. Understanding how to build your deck, who to draft, who to place on attack/defense. Finding ways to put your opponent in unwinnable matchups. You are essentially playing a card game. Your opponent can have good cards but if they don't get to use them the way they want to, they're going to struggle. You don't need to have elite defenders to absolutely screw someone over. So many champs that aren't necessarily elite defenders can become automatic wins just because you deploy them properly.
  • SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★
    Pure luck
    Pure Luck after a certain point, if you re not a CC member level of skill player, and having game inputs working properly, at least at a 90%. So yes, pure, luck.
  • spidyjedi84spidyjedi84 Posts: 261 ★★
    Skill of player
    Skill and knowledge of your roster, hands down. My roster isn't stacked by any means, but I know which 4 stars I bring in and muck me up in higher star versions will have the same effect if the other person doesn't have an adequate counter to them. I just need to either outlast an opponent or score more damage, and if I'm picking, i pick people I know can do that with my playstyle. Sometimes you get routed fast. Others, you pick up a W just because you were more defensive in your play style and made smarter hits than someone just blindly charging into a fight.
  • Other, please explain
    Try to win, very very often.
  • MiniMFMiniMF Posts: 847 ★★★★
    I missclicked lol
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,205 ★★★★★
    Skills?? pffftttg
  • 13579rebel_13579rebel_ Posts: 2,384 ★★★★★
    Stacked roster
    I don't have a well developed roster so when I come across a person with a developed roster it doesn't matter how well I play
  • manveertherealmanveerthereal Posts: 1,359 ★★★
    Stacked roster
    i dont have a good roster but i got good skill and when someone around my roster level plays me i have like a 90%+ chance of winning and when someones roster is stackeedd it goes down to 40%
  • AMS94AMS94 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★
    Stacked roster
    Skill can only get u to a certain threshold
    Eg. A Cav player can most likely go to higher Gold or lower Platinum at max even if he has Sweadeh or MSD level skills
    To go beyond that one needs to have a big enough roster
  • Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Posts: 3,309 ★★★★★
    Stacked roster
    U need a stacked roster and skill at the same time
    Stacked roster because some champs need specific counters
    Example havok needs Armor up champs or power control
    Vision aarkus need Armor break or coldnap immune

U also need skill because if u don't have skill and u get hit continuosly, u will have an instant defeat. Luck isn't something we need always
  • SuelGamesSuelGames Posts: 933 ★★★
    Skill of player
    Well to be fair ive fought much better players on silver with a lackluster roster, even lost some and I beat some guys on Plat3 with a STACKED roster. I mean maybe they re just whales, cause even the matching characters were dumb, they picked awful matchups lol. So even if u have a wide roster, if u dont know the champs, and u dont have skill, i dont think it will matter too much
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    I'm not sure if some of you have different matchmaking then what I'm getting, but I have a stacked roster but I have never once (except when manipulating battle deck) fought anyone else who didn't have a massively stacked roster.

I don't understand how some of you with "undeveloped rosters" are getting matched with overly "stacked* rosters as from my BG experience they have been matching people up with fairly similar ratings of battle deck.
  • Hilbert_unbeatable2Hilbert_unbeatable2 Posts: 804 ★★★
    Other, please explain
    Though fat roster and skill are important
    The main part is knowledge of champs and strategy. How u perform when u don't have ur go to counter, great understanding of nodes and champion interactions, picks and bans, picking up champs is the central part of this. Also one can have no so great account and yet defeat a good account by picking chonky defenders to waste opponents time so that u gain more time
  • The_man001The_man001 Posts: 624 ★★★
    Stacked roster
    People who are saying battleground is 100% skill are either of the following -

1. Don't have the slightest idea of what they are saying
    2. Themselves have huge rosters above 3.5 million base hero rating players, who are winning cause of their roster now just don't wanna admit that.
    3. Modders, well they always say they are very skilled when caught red handed
  • FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    Skill of player

2. Themselves have huge rosters above 3.5 million base hero rating players, who are winning cause of their roster now just don't wanna admit that.

I don’t think anyones said it’s 100% skill..
  • TheAntiSaintTheAntiSaint Posts: 105
    Stacked roster

Strategy, for me.

Watching who the opponent picks, and choosing the right opponents to play against them; using/not using your defenders intelligently when the opponent has a good counter for them.

So, maybe not placing your Apocalypse when the opponent has a Nimrod ready to rumble. Not placing Mojo when the opponent has Torch, that kind of thing....

Heck, one opponent of mine tried to use his Human Torch to get past my Havok. I don't know if he tried using Torch's prefight to bypass Havok's Incinerate Immunity or not; but either way, the match didn't go well for him. And then his Torch was gone, and I was free to place Mystic defenders.

I'm not a particularly skilled player, but watching what my opponent is doing, and applying a little strategy has got me up to Platinum so far with fairly casual play a few times a day. (I know that's no big achievement, bit it's been pretty low-effort).
    I'd recommend it to anyone 😉.

Ok shikamaru
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

And people that say it's luck or roster just don't want to admit they aren't actually as good as they thought they were.
  • CoMinowCoMinow Posts: 297
    Other, please explain
    Unit man… not even close