**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What are the odds of this

Comments

• GladsGlads Posts: 397 ★★★

Glads said:

Wicket329 said:

Aceymcoc said:

1/250 something

That’s almost your off of getting a single champ from the basic but to get the same champ twice in a row is a lot lower of a odd I’m not great at maths but ik that it ain’t that low of a probability
    Nope, AverageDesi is right. Because the question isn’t “before opening this crystal, what are the odds I pull two Blue Cyclops,” but rather “after opening the first crystal, what are the odds I pull this same champion again?”

The first event had already happened when you asked the question. Therefore, it’s the odds of pulling any one champion.
    I completely agree with you there are 2 chances of 1/250, as you have 2 crystals the point is its consecutive. If you open a crystals and duplicate a champ u have in your roster that's a .004% chance as it's consecutive that's a .000016% chance I argued this a while back no one believes the maths
    The first crystal doesn't factor into the odds though. It's just once you open a crystal, what are the odds that the next crystal will be the same, which is just 1/250.
    Of course it does, it's like winning the lotto twice you have the same odds for the first and the second game. When u combine the odds for winning it twice its much lower.
    I do this stuff for a job
  • Tijjy007Tijjy007 Posts: 313 ★★★

Glads said:

Glads said:

Wicket329 said:

Aceymcoc said:

1/250 something

That’s almost your off of getting a single champ from the basic but to get the same champ twice in a row is a lot lower of a odd I’m not great at maths but ik that it ain’t that low of a probability
    Nope, AverageDesi is right. Because the question isn’t “before opening this crystal, what are the odds I pull two Blue Cyclops,” but rather “after opening the first crystal, what are the odds I pull this same champion again?”

The first event had already happened when you asked the question. Therefore, it’s the odds of pulling any one champion.
    I completely agree with you there are 2 chances of 1/250, as you have 2 crystals the point is its consecutive. If you open a crystals and duplicate a champ u have in your roster that's a .004% chance as it's consecutive that's a .000016% chance I argued this a while back no one believes the maths
    The first crystal doesn't factor into the odds though. It's just once you open a crystal, what are the odds that the next crystal will be the same, which is just 1/250.
    Of course it does, it's like winning the lotto twice you have the same odds for the first and the second game. When u combine the odds for winning it twice its much lower.
    Getting a cyclops isn't winning a lotto
    I absolutely love your name
  • @DNA3000 I challenge you

What are the odds of that

What are the odds that a nexus crystals will have three of the same champ at different rarities? About one in fifty thousand. However, that was a *submitted* opening. So the question is really, out of all of the players out there, what are the odds of one of them seeing this and then submitting it to Prof Hoff. There are probably hundreds of thousands of players opening nexus crystals, and across all of them there are probably hundreds of thousands of crystals being opened every day. If only one percent of them are players that are in some way active in the player community, and only one percent of them would be inclined to submit a rare opening to Prof Hoff, I would expect him to get an opening like that least once every couple of years.

Rare events are rare, but if you wait long enough they eventually happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHRQdmjdrg
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022
    What are the odds of two consecutive coin flips resulting in heads ?

Dr. Zola
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022
    DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

1/4

Check the sample space. Possible outcomes are

{ HH,HT,TH,TT }
    where T is Tails and H is Heads. So HH reads Head Head which is Head followed by Head.

There are 4 outcomes each if which are equally likely. In that your desirable out come is just 1 out of the sample space. So 1/4
  • BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,055 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022
    I see OP got blessed from RNG gods themselves
  • willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,143 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Glads said:

Glads said:

Wicket329 said:

Aceymcoc said:

1/250 something

That's alarming.
    Favorite part of this thread so far.

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

1/4

{ HH,HT,TH,TT }
    where T is Tails and H is Heads. So HH reads Head Head which is Head followed by Head.

There are 4 outcomes each if which are equally likely. In that your desirable out come is just 1 out of the sample space. So 1/4
    @DrZola i just realized you might have been directing the question at OP and not actually asking this. Sorry if it's the former
    edited November 2022

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

1/4

{ HH,HT,TH,TT }

@DrZola i just realized you might have been directing the question at OP and not actually asking this. Sorry if it's the former
    It was actually more of a rhetorical question.

If the question is “what are the odds of pulling the same champ twice in two consecutive 6* crystals?” then the answer would be 1/220 (assuming 220 champs). But if the question is “what are the odds of pulling two 6* Blue Cykes in two consecutive 6* crystals?” then I like your mathematical approach.

Dr. Zola
  • DrZola said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

1/4

{ HH,HT,TH,TT }

If the question is “what are the odds of pulling the same champ twice in two consecutive 6* crystals?” then the answer would be 1/220 (assuming 220 champs). But if the question is “what are the odds of pulling two 6* Blue Cykes in two consecutive 6* crystals?” then I like your mathematical approach.

Dr. Zola
    The meta question is: what’s the correct question to ask? Is it “what are the odds of a dup” or “what are the odds of two Cyclops?” It seems arbitrary, but it is not. Here’s why.

If you ask “what are the odds of two Cyclops” then the answer is one in 48400. But the follow up question is “is that unusual?” and the answer is no, it is not. Because the odds of any two specific champs coming up are exactly the same. If you see two specific champs: a blue cyclops and another blue cyclops, then the odds of seeing that are 48400, but the odds of seeing literally any other specific combination is exactly the same. Two blue cyclops in a row is *literally* not noteworthy, because all other combinations have exactly the same odds to happen. There is nothing special about Cyclops, Cyclops compared to Hulkbuster, Archangel. I could just as easily post a picture of me pulling HB and AA and ask “what are the odds of that happening” and the answer would be the same: one in 48400.

If you ask “what are the odds of a duplicate pull?” then the odds of that happening are one in 220. And that is noteworthy, because the odds of a dup are far lower than the odds of non dups. The blue Cyclops is not the only way to pull a dup, but there’s only 220 ways to do that out of 48400 possible openings. That is noteworthy.

• Vis_101Vis_101 Posts: 28
    I had this one.
  • MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    @Kabam Miike was giving you his blessing
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,630 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

1/4

{ HH,HT,TH,TT }

Dr. Zola
    The meta question is: what’s the correct question to ask? Is it “what are the odds of a dup” or “what are the odds of two Cyclops?” It seems arbitrary, but it is not. Here’s why.

If you ask “what are the odds of two Cyclops” then the answer is one in 48400. But the follow up question is “is that unusual?” and the answer is no, it is not. Because the odds of any two specific champs coming up are exactly the same. If you see two specific champs: a blue cyclops and another blue cyclops, then the odds of seeing that are 48400, but the odds of seeing literally any other specific combination is exactly the same. Two blue cyclops in a row is *literally* not noteworthy, because all other combinations have exactly the same odds to happen. There is nothing special about Cyclops, Cyclops compared to Hulkbuster, Archangel. I could just as easily post a picture of me pulling HB and AA and ask “what are the odds of that happening” and the answer would be the same: one in 48400.

If you ask “what are the odds of a duplicate pull?” then the odds of that happening are one in 220. And that is noteworthy, because the odds of a dup are far lower than the odds of non dups. The blue Cyclops is not the only way to pull a dup, but there’s only 220 ways to do that out of 48400 possible openings. That is noteworthy.

More entertaining statistic questions than have been posted in foums:

What are the odds that a post containing that phrase ("What are the odds") includes this exact scenario?
    What are the odds that the first champion is a previously unowned champ, then gets the dupe?
    What are the odds that DNA gives up explaining statistics to start a Youtube channel and actually make money explaining algebra through gaming?
    What are the odds that I get bored and stop naming scenarios?
    Pretty high. I'm lazy, but I have a proposal to write and probably also could be grinding out EQ or something.
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

1/4

{ HH,HT,TH,TT }

Dr. Zola

Precisely—and that’s my point.

An even better question would be “what are the odds of disappointment with this upcoming pull?”😉 Statistics, emotions, context, roster, progression and more all rolled into one question. My guess is it’s always > zero.

Dr. Zola
  • DrZola said:

An even better question would be “what are the odds of disappointment with this upcoming pull?”

Your pulls? At least 94.6%
    edited November 2022
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

An even better question would be “what are the odds of disappointment with this upcoming pull?”

You are waaaaay too kind :D

Dr. Zola
  • DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola
    I should point out that I didn't calculate the odds of a crystal roll coming up good, I calculated the odds of a Zola turning up disappointed.
  • AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    Yeah, but what are the odds of opening 10 crystals and getting 3 sets of dupes?

(That’ll keep the math trolls busy for a while; everyone run!)
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola
    I should point out that I didn't calculate the odds of a crystal roll coming up good, I calculated the odds of a Zola turning up disappointed.
    We’ve been around waaaay too long.

Dr. Zola
  • Hort4Hort4 Posts: 499 ★★★
    Glads said:

Wicket329 said:

Aceymcoc said:

1/250 something

It is not 0.004%. It is 0.4%. 1 / 250 = 0.004 x 100%
    Hort4 said:

Glads said:

Wicket329 said:

Aceymcoc said:

1/250 something

@Glads were you serious about doing this as a job?
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

Hort4 said:

Glads said:

Wicket329 said:

Aceymcoc said:

1/250 something

God I hope not 😬
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,756 ★★★★★
    Nothing quite like exposing how terrible you are at your job on a public forum lol.
  • DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola
    We’ve been around waaaay too long.

Dr. Zola
    Probably not just regarding this forum either.
    ItsDamien said:

Hort4 said:

Glads said:

Wicket329 said:

Aceymcoc said:

1/250 something

God I hope not 😬
    Someone lied on their resume
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    Frankly, i do not believe the odds are that small given that not all of the champs are in every crystal. That may be the line but I happen to believe they are packed with certain champs for kabams own reasons and cycled, just the same as a featured crystals. All 200 plus champs are "available" but not in every crystal.
    Therefore the odds of the double dupe increase.
  • I pulled 3 x 6* warlocks in 3 basic crystals.