**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

A few things to keep in mind before Black Friday

Suros_moonSuros_moon Posts: 454 ★★★
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
Hey all I just wanted to revisit a few things that I think we should all think long and hard about before making decisions purchase wise today. Remember that, for all the words and whining, there’s only one place that companies derive meaning from: financials. So here we go:

- Quicksilver/SW synergy NERF (thats what it was and no amount of downplaying will change it). There was significant alarm about how the synergy had obviously not been tested (as evidenced by the immediate feedback they received and extremely easy play testing) followed by deflection and vague claims that an “appropriate amount of testing was done”. The synergy was then nerfed down, however, the icing on the cake was that these changes all occurred AFTER the bundle was done selling while the concerns were brought up that day. After having all this splayed out, the response was that we can change anything whenever we want and that “this will continue to happen in the future“. Note also, that this was not a unit based offer but rather plain dollars which kabam is now proudly touting that they will play fast and loose with.

- VFX debacle. Upon the release of 8.1 the game was plagued by a bug causing dozens of effects to become invisible. While annoying in its own right, the resulting fallout for 8.1’s final boss was game breaking. Without being able to see the trap, the entire mechanic for being able to combat the boss was made a guessing game at best and downright unfair at worst. It is not unlikely to say that this bug caused an inflated usage of items on the part of every player who stumbled into it. In fact, Im sure that we could compare metrics for average items spent during the bugs duration inside of 8.1.6 to the following weeks and the dropoff would be statistically significant. Now, this situation obviously warrants action on the side of kabam- and, in the wake of the bug fix, there was three days of silence followed by the announcement that the situation was “being monitored” to gauge how we were affected (implying heavily that items would be calculated and sent put based on the fiasco). Of course, we know how this story ends and, almost a full month later, the real news was dropped, once again, that nothing was being done. Note that this response didn’t say that “we determined the effects were minimal” or that “no significant change in item usage was detected” but rather that they simply weren’t responding to whatever the mess was.

- Day of the Deadpool. Ah yes, one of the biggest controversies this year and not without reason. To summarize, kabam took out free aspects of the event, namely: gold offers, but retained every monetized aspect. This news was relayed using an account previously known for trolling leaving many confused about its legitimacy (made even worse by the fact that the slashing of gold offers was referred to as “trying something new”). The master-thread racked up 23 pages of disappointed, confused, or otherwise angry summoners over the course of 8 days without a single word from kabam.

- Battlegrounds. Writhe with modders, dozens of threads on this exist and most, if not all, top players have said that the game mode is often unplayable. Additionally the rampant monetization it was introduced with showcased exactly where their head is with the future of the game. A funny note is that kabam responded early in this thread by saying that changes would only occur if there was something “egregious” only to later bend to the complaints which implies that even they saw how over the top the process had gone.

With all this in mind I cannot, in good conscience, spend anything this weekend. Without the gifting event I am, frankly, scared of how hard kabam is going to push this model. If, for no other reason, remember that the relevance of 6 stars is about to see its twilight and no amount of spending can change that. Additionally feel free to drop your own grievances below, I just wanted to list those that I felt most strongly about so I didnt cover every terrible response we’ve had
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Posts: 3,885 ★★★★★
    The relevance of 6 stars is in its twilight but still upset you couldn’t dump a bunch of gold to get 6 star nexus. OK.
  • Suros_moonSuros_moon Posts: 454 ★★★

The relevance of 6 stars is in its twilight but still upset you couldn’t dump a bunch of gold to get 6 star nexus. OK.

Who said it had to be a nexus? Im more in the market for rank up materials but either way the issue is the removal of a nice ftp offer. The contents of it are another issue
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Posts: 3,885 ★★★★★

Who said it had to be a nexus? Im more in the market for rank up materials but either way the issue is the removal of a nice ftp offer. The contents of it are another issue
    It happened once. The expectation that it would return was blown out of proportion by the community.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,957 ★★★★★

Cool story bro. Good for you.

Haha, I can think of… 4 times maybe that we’ve interacted. All 4 times you tripped over your arguments. Glad to see you’ve stopped trying and happy holidays!

Stopped trying? No. That's not the case at all. Your post is ridiculous. Don't want to spend money? Cool. No need to be this dramatic and also wat off base about it though. Your post screams "Kabam didn't give me what I want".
    No your post is ridiculous!

Do you see how you have to substantiate claims or they are meaningless? I offered evidence of every single point I made- your counter to me, is that you think the post is bad. You didnt offer a single counter argument or reason why you think my arguments are invalid which leads me hastily to the idea that you dont have any (granted our time in the nimrod forum shows what happens when you do try to provide them so I understand).

I didnt “have” to post. You didnt “have” to respond. Im a bit confused at what youre getting at? Oh wait- nothing
    1. Overpowered synergies that needed nerfed. Ok? Better right away than after a year right? (Mole Man). There's just no way those needed to stay. We can argue all day about whether something was tested properly or not but the bottom line is that they have a few people to test and there's millions of us. Some thing are just going to be found after the fact.
    2. If you know there's a VFX issue, don't do the content if it's costing you items. They said this when it happened and you want to be compensated for going ahead with it. Your problem.
    3. Gold offers- The event changed. And it doesn't matter what forum personality said it. Thrillson's posts were always well received before that day and all the sudden when they say something you don't like, they're a troll account now. You guys are too predictable with that nonsense.
    4. Heaven forbid they make something to generate revenue. They've revamped that game mode because of the feedback and you're still whining about it. Do modders suck? Yes. Are they parasites? Yes. Are they trying to fix it? Yes. it's not like there's an easy way to make the modders go away. Every game in the world has issue with cheaters and modders and no one has been able to prevent them.
    5. 6*'s are not in their twilight. We won't even be able to open crystals until spring of next year and even then, can't even rank them up. 6*'s still have another rank to achieve plus relics and ascensions to keep them viable and in the meta for some time to come.

Has there been some negatives? Absolutely. Has there been some really good things this year? Even more so. Don't spend, or spend. Whatever floats your boat but you're making it seem like Kabam kicked you in the shin and took your lunch money. Why even keep playing when you feel so offended by all of this?
  • Mauled said:

This is a daft post.

Ultimately there's only one thing you need to consider before parting with your money on a game like this: can you actually afford it? A lot of people get a bit green when they watch the Youtubers or the whales in their alliance dropping £100s on these offers and are tempted to follow suit even though it's beyond their means.

If you like the game and have some disposable income why not support it? If you haven't got the disposable income, don't; it's just a game.

Inane posts like this aren't helpful. 6* will be relevant for years to come, especially with Ascension, however that's implemented. 5* are still relevant in some contexts to end game players 3+ years after the advent of 6* coming into the game.

6 stars have been out for the better part of…. 5 years now? We are reaching their ending point. Youre banking on a system which hasnt been released yet maintaining them past their natural life span. To that I say “hello bases, hello wish crystals, hello masteries 2.0, etc”. I will bank NOTHING on unreleased systems especially if theyre supposed to be beneficial to the player

Of course support games you like- just remember that the climate were in is a result of blindly spending regardless of the precedent thats being set. When you dont like the direction, stop spending and hope they alter course
    You've got to remember that 6R5s aren't even a thing yet, the closest any of us are to a maxed 6* is probably less than 25% assuming they've spent everything they could and their rng has all hit the same class. They're not going to make them irrelevant when they can milk money from people wanting to max out their 6*s. Sure they're coming towards the end of their lifespan, but we said that about 5* years ago and people still use 5*, not to the extent that they used to of course, but I use my Namor, Magik, Magneto still. I still use my 5* in AQ on AW attack days. I'm not banking on ascension being any good at all to be honest, but if it can effectively make a 6* 1/2 a rank closer to a 7R3 - which is likely to be the power point at which 6* are overmatched, then it's going to have good legs for a lot of players. A max sig 6* is going to be more useful in a lot of cases than an unawakened 7*, just as a max sig 5* is more valuable in many cases than its unawakened 6* counterpart, of course the more power the higher rarity has the closer the gap becomes, but it by no means invalidates them.

As to the rest, I know Kabam historically haven't delivered on their road maps, and frankly I don't often pay much heed to them for that reason. I'm not going to be spending this BF, because frankly I'd rather put the heating on and I've got a wedding to pay for in September.

The thing that I don't like is this vilification of players who do spend. It is these same players who are funding this game and allowing it to be ad-free, making sure that I don't have to pay £5/month or whatever to play it etc. You even have to pay £1 for Temple Run to be ad free these days. For all its faults, this has got to be the best F2P mobile game on the market.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,957 ★★★★★
    Fryday said:

Hi @Suros_moon ,

Well we did get this amazing BG compensation because of BG finished earlier than scheduled, which affect a lot of players (especially in Europe).

Sure there were a few people complaining, but Kabam have no time to deal with it, so easiest way is just close the thread without any explanation.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/320306/cancelling-alliance-quests-november-24-2022/

That is how much Kabam care about the players.

🤣🤣🤣

Giving everyone their previous cycles rewards after less than a half a day of AQ isn't caring about it's players? Are you high or something?
  • Suros_moonSuros_moon Posts: 454 ★★★

Cool story bro. Good for you.

Haha, I can think of… 4 times maybe that we’ve interacted. All 4 times you tripped over your arguments. Glad to see you’ve stopped trying and happy holidays!

Stopped trying? No. That's not the case at all. Your post is ridiculous. Don't want to spend money? Cool. No need to be this dramatic and also wat off base about it though. Your post screams "Kabam didn't give me what I want".
    No your post is ridiculous!

Do you see how you have to substantiate claims or they are meaningless? I offered evidence of every single point I made- your counter to me, is that you think the post is bad. You didnt offer a single counter argument or reason why you think my arguments are invalid which leads me hastily to the idea that you dont have any (granted our time in the nimrod forum shows what happens when you do try to provide them so I understand).

I didnt “have” to post. You didnt “have” to respond. Im a bit confused at what youre getting at? Oh wait- nothing
    1. Overpowered synergies that needed nerfed. Ok? Better right away than after a year right? (Mole Man). There's just no way those needed to stay. We can argue all day about whether something was tested properly or not but the bottom line is that they have a few people to test and there's millions of us. Some thing are just going to be found after the fact.
    2. If you know there's a VFX issue, don't do the content if it's costing you items. They said this when it happened and you want to be compensated for going ahead with it. Your problem.
    3. Gold offers- The event changed. And it doesn't matter what forum personality said it. Thrillson's posts were always well received before that day and all the sudden when they say something you don't like, they're a troll account now. You guys are too predictable with that nonsense.
    4. Heaven forbid they make something to generate revenue. They've revamped that game mode because of the feedback and you're still whining about it. Do modders suck? Yes. Are they parasites? Yes. Are they trying to fix it? Yes. it's not like there's an easy way to make the modders go away. Every game in the world has issue with cheaters and modders and no one has been able to prevent them.
    5. 6*'s are not in their twilight. We won't even be able to open crystals until spring of next year and even then, can't even rank them up. 6*'s still have another rank to achieve plus relics and ascensions to keep them viable and in the meta for some time to come.

Has there been some negatives? Absolutely. Has there been some really good things this year? Even more so. Don't spend, or spend. Whatever floats your boat but you're making it seem like Kabam kicked you in the shin and took your lunch money. Why even keep playing when you feel so offended by all of this?
    1) The issue was releasing a broken synergy that should have easily been caught then continuing to sell it, not the fact that it was fixed.

2) There wasnt a way to know about the issue until AFTER you started fighting the boss. For many you had to have items just to arrive at that point. What are you even getting at?

3) Did you just try to conflate “well received” with “not being a troll account”? Thrillsons posts were known to be jokes and thats why people laughed at its appearance. When you suddenly use it to distribute information that is meant to be serious, and even worse, disappointing, that’s obviously going to confuse and get a lot of people frustrated (as it did).

4) Ah yes, the “they need money” which justifies the most aggressive over the top egregious monetization schemes possible argument. Theres a balance- they missed. Simple

5) Theyve been out for 5 years. If their large portion of relevancy is the going to get shifted in the next year and a half that makes this their twilight

• Tijjy007Tijjy007 Posts: 313 ★★★
    Gmonkey said:

Most of the mini whales I know are cutting back this year. There will be spending but not like before. With them giving so much r4 material and awakening gems and relics only mattering for prestige do not see much reason to spend. I can spend 700-1000 units I can solo incursions to room 25 so that is my benchmark and EOP rewards no rush. I have 15 r4 80 r3 there is no champ I need for any content. Nexus crystals are a waste for me want shards for featured.

bro 80 r3 woooow