**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Placebo buff

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me what is the point of placebo buffs? I can't seem to find an explanation in game or online

My guess would be that they count as a buff but convey no benefits?

The nodes in question don't seem to reward or penalise for number of buffs so I'm struggling to see the point - would appreciate if someone could enlighten me please.

Comments

• Here's the node in question
  • Ok, so primarily the mechanic is around the relationship with specific champs/masteries rather than solely the node itself - thanks guys :)
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    In the case of CC i think he causes a rage placebo buff on opponents that makes him unhittable and undamagable while the timer is running.
  • A placebo is something to make you think it works, but it actually is doing nothing. For example: when doing medical trials on a new medicine they got different groups of people. One group will have the actual medicine, and another group will have a placebo medicine that does nothing. They do this to see if the medicine is helping, or if the mere act of thinking you're taking something to help, helps with your problem.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,348 ★★★★★
    edited December 2022
    Awakened Angela would destroy when attacking that node.

She'd rapidly become nullify immune, then gain insane damage on her SP3 because it rises with each buff.

Galan would laugh at it, too... 😉
  • TheParasiteTheParasite Posts: 416 ★★

Awakened Angela would destroy when attacking that node.

She'd rapidly become nullify immune, then gain insane damage on her SP3 because it rises with each buff.

Galan would laugh at it, too... 😉

mate you need to remember one important point here, Mystic Dispersion doesnt only trigger when a buff is nullified, it gets triggered even when a buff expires on the opponent, so whoever the champ may be the buffs get expired in 5 seconds and will definitely trigger MD
    it is always wise to use champs who doesnt gain buffs like Spidey 2099, Titania, Antman..
  • MemphistophilesMemphistophiles Posts: 79
    I had the same question and my search lead me here first. After reading this I realized another possible benefit are attackers like Spider-Man 2099. He's immune to buffs, but when they trigger the debuffs he applies are paused for 5 seconds. So these placebo buffs would REALLY help him out.
  • Shadow_ShooterShadow_Shooter Posts: 261 ★★★
    I guess this is the most mysterious node without a clear explanation from Kabam. I know it helps mystic defenders placed there but not sure how.
  • CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,108 ★★★★

I guess this is the most mysterious node without a clear explanation from Kabam. I know it helps mystic defenders placed there but not sure how.

Mystic dispersion and mystic champions in general punish you for having buffs
  • Ansh_AAnsh_A Posts: 494 ★★★
    I wish Kabam released more champs that benefit from the opponent having too many buffs. Preferably in the non mystic class.

That placebo node is actually the least helpful node because if you put 3 mystics, human torch will have a blast going down it.
  • KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 883 ★★★
    Ansh_A said:

I wish Kabam released more champs that benefit from the opponent having too many buffs. Preferably in the non mystic class.

That placebo node is actually the least helpful node because if you put 3 mystics, human torch will have a blast going down it.

Which is why you don't put multiple champs that can be rinsed by one attacker on the same path in high tier war.
  • Ansh_AAnsh_A Posts: 494 ★★★

Ansh_A said:

Which is why you don't put multiple champs that can be rinsed by one attacker on the same path in high tier war.
    Thanks but i am already aware of this. Hence, the statement that Kabam should release more cleanse/purify non skill champs, armor up non tech champs (though this isnt too bad), prowess non mutant champs and buff benefitting non mystic champs.