Options

Which Skill Defender is the better r5 choice? Fury or Korg.

PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,865 ★★★★★
Note: This is purely for defensive purposes in BGs, I only run 1 point in Deep Wounds, so it would be invalid to consider Fury a dual threat, as without max Deep Wounds he’s to slow to be used, so again defense only.

Korg seems like the obvious choice but people tend to mess up on Fury a lot, or he just plays passive. Also his sig 200 helps stall.

They’ve both won me a ton of matchups on defense so I’m just curious who’d come out on top assuming both sig 200

Which Skill Defender is the better r5 choice? Fury or Korg. 111 votes

R5 Korg
39%
MasterSmokeRaganatorBigTuna_2054bm3eppsDarkrider05RasiloverAdv10or_StrongGrootman1294Crossy76OpandemonioAmaadAkiraAyden_noah1captain_rogersCorkscrewMaxwell24IamFlashJLDfour24ErcarretAomine_Daiki10 44 votes
R5 Fury
60%
SnakeEyes692StarKingDrenlinzuffySIlverProfessorManup456allinashesTerrayossKaspYTAckbar67HoadyOZZADO1991Justcause102_Sham_SonOfArgu16UsagicassidyDeadManWademgj0630Vbnme 67 votes

Comments

• Options
    A_FungiA_Fungi Posts: 993 ★★★★
    edited November 2023
    R5 Fury
    Korg is a better defender... kinda... but all you need is a champ that does energy damage and he is easy

Fury will almost always have 2 full health bars, second one does tick away a little sooner

It's also important to not that we do not have news of a 7 star fury, there is already a 7 star korg

Bonus.... Fury is also useful on offense
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    R5 Korg
    Korg is arguably the best defender in the game. Yes, he has his counters but overall, he's a pain. I mean, he's a pain to fight even with his best counters since you still need to work around his rock stacks. He's just a beefy boy.

I personally don't care that he's a 7*. It'll be a long time until an r2 7* Korg becomes as annoying and hard to fight as an r5 6* Korg, simply due to his sig ability. That's what requires counters. Without it, you can fight him with anyone. It'll just be a long slog of a fight.
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 693 ★★★★

When talking BGs, I'm personally way more likely to ban a Korg, especially at R5, opposed to a Fury
    Fury is annoying but doesn't need a specific counter, wheras Korg does.

So maybe counterintuitively I'd rank up Fury because Korg would get banned more
    (I don't play a whole lot of BG so my opinion might be invalid)

And eventhough you've written him off for attack, he might still come in handy in a pinch

That's actually the reason my Korg is only R3; he gets banned more times than not
  • Options
    In my opinion, one is more likely to lose a match against an r5 s200 Korg than to an r2 s20.

You can easily parry and use mediums against r2. R5 will take like 5-10% against an accidental medium

Thats why the 7 star argument shouldn’t be a factor on this poll
  • Options
    UltragamerUltragamer Posts: 412 ★★★
    R5 Korg
    Korg a way better defender than fury thorns purify tanky unblockable and unstoppable a lot to worry about
  • Options
    Aomine_Daiki10Aomine_Daiki10 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★★
    R5 Korg
    Can't wait for Dani tune up Rip to Nick fury though.
  • Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    edited November 2023
    R5 Fury
    Don't restrict yourself. Nick is far more versatile. I use my Nick all the time with either 1 or 0 points in deep wounds.
  • Options
    2StarKing said:

Don't restrict yourself. Nick is far more versatile. I use my Nick all the time with either 1 or 0 points in deep wounds.

@2StarKing Interesting , I know KP is the obvious better r5 if fury’s at 1 in DW but you r5ed him before like kate and Valkyrie?
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,243 ★★★★
    Just a note: Fury doesn't need max deep wounds to be usable on offense, his bleed damage is still crazy.
    On topic, Fury is the better defender if we're talking about BGs. He has two lives, while most champs only have one
  • Options
    EdisonLaw said:

Just a note: Fury doesn't need max deep wounds to be usable on offense, his bleed damage is still crazy.
    On topic, Fury is the better defender if we're talking about BGs. He has two lives, while most champs only have one

@EdisonLaw for war and story I dont see it being an issue but in BGs being in his first phase, without the deep wounds, the bleeds would feel weak and he’d feel potentially slow i would imagine
  • Options
    HoadyOZHoadyOZ Posts: 197
    R5 Fury
    It depends what level you’re at. Most experienced players can easily handle either, but awakened NF takes longer, and in Battlegrounds, time is everything.
  • Options
    DeadManWadeDeadManWade Posts: 275
    R5 Fury
    NF all day every day. He's a decent option as an attacker too, so more versatile than Korg. Problem with NF is that he ends up getting banned by opponents most of the time anyway. At least that's the case with my 6* Rank 3 awakened and ascended version. Happy defending!
  • Options
    EmomikeEmomike Posts: 212 ★★
    R5 Fury
    Fury you will get more all around out of him.
  • Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    R5 Fury
    Polygon said:

2StarKing said:

@2StarKing Interesting , I know KP is the obvious better r5 if fury’s at 1 in DW but you r5ed him before like kate and Valkyrie?
    Don't get caught up on the Deep Wounds mastery. Look at the permanent utility you gain from each champ. Fury is a dual threat because his sp1 is much harder to evade than Korgs. Fury's unblockable last much longer than Korg.

Kingpin, Kate, Valkyrie, Nick they all have very different utility. Rank for game progression then for BG play.
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 693 ★★★★
    2StarKing said:

Polygon said:

2StarKing said:

Don't get caught up on the Deep Wounds mastery. Look at the permanent utility you gain from each champ. Fury is a dual threat because his sp1 is much harder to evade than Korgs. Fury's unblockable last much longer than Korg.

Kingpin, Kate, Valkyrie, Nick they all have very different utility. Rank for game progression then for BG play.
    With the exception of Everest content like the upcoming Necropolis, I would actually rank for BG before game progression once you get to a certain point.

It's becoming significantly easier to amass R3/R4 champs, and story content isn't all that difficult anymore. Adding one more champ rarely makes a difference anymore for progression once you're in Act 8
  • Options
    edited November 2023

2StarKing said:

Polygon said:

2StarKing said:

With the exception of Everest content like the upcoming Necropolis, I would actually rank for BG before game progression once you get to a certain point.

It's becoming significantly easier to amass R3/R4 champs, and story content isn't all that difficult anymore. Adding one more champ rarely makes a difference anymore for progression once you're in Act 8
    And even then 6 stars have less time in necro.

Also one thing we need to factor in is the Dani buff as that could potentially do what Hulkling/Galan did to Peni as less and less people started drafting her in their deck
  • Options
    ArmoredGhostArmoredGhost Posts: 94 ★★
    R5 Fury
    R5 Fury. Korg is already a 7* and I don't see NF becoming one anytime soon and it will just be insanely difficult to dupe NF once he eventually does become a 7*.

• Options
    ArmoredGhostArmoredGhost Posts: 94 ★★
    R5 Fury

R5 Fury. Korg is already a 7* and I don't see NF becoming one anytime soon and it will just be insanely difficult to dupe NF once he eventually does become a 7*.

But in addition to that NF is still a very annoying defender. He's a stall champion. No sp3 can kill him in his first life and it usually forces players to deal with his unblockable attacks and his unstunable phase 2. (unless they are using a peni/toad etc...). But not so many people will have even an r5 or even an r4 peni or toad and the fight can still be rather difficult. Also one slip up against second life nearly guarantees a loss because of how strong he is.
  • Options

But in addition to that NF is still a very annoying defender. He's a stall champion. No sp3 can kill him in his first life and it usually forces players to deal with his unblockable attacks and his unstunable phase 2. (unless they are using a peni/toad etc...). But not so many people will have even an r5 or even an r4 peni or toad and the fight can still be rather difficult. Also one slip up against second life nearly guarantees a loss because of how strong he is.
    True but after Dani’s buff, you can bet 90% of decks will run her just to solve the Nick Fury problem
  • Options
    bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,151 ★★★
    R5 Korg
    I don't even ban Fury no more in BGs. However, I always ban Korg especially if he's high level in the deck.
  • Options
    OmedennOmedenn Posts: 868 ★★★
    I personally have no issue with Korg, of course you need a counter but it’s not that hard if you have one. Takes a bit of time, but ending with 100% is not that hard.

Nick fury can be more tricky, impossible sp1 to dex and also takes time. So for me it’s nick