The big science decision

Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,375 ★★★★★
Following up on my previous post, I’ve decided that I’ll rank the 6* I like because 7* crystals are the worst thing in the world

2 great candidates for r5 here and I guess I could wait and use my gem on RG (wanted to save for SIM but hey, we don’t know how good he’ll turn out) so I’ll just let the community decide. Pretty much 100% battlegrounds focused

I didn’t want to make a double poll, so if anyone wants to pick my next skill r5 here, I’d appreciate that too. My current picks for r5 are Massacre, Mantis, Korg, or Killmonger :)

The big science decision 92 votes

Red Guardian
35%
Ragnarok13Foxhero007hydrogohardThatGuyYouSaw235AshyKnucklesNewman0067PikoluPandingoSpadeHunterItsClobberinTimeTerminatrixWinterFieldsMusha27Sceptilemaniac2Messy151qm44UltragamerKoukentsu13579rebel_Dab_west 33 votes
Photon
64%
PantherusNZphillgreenSandeepSSachhyam257Clynevachrisfernendezzzspiderbites0196Denzel116Colinwhitworth69Justcause102JimmyBLuke9523Ayden_noah1peixemacacomgj0630captain_rogersPowerofpain1001WhoDaPooDfour24Doctor_Strange19 59 votes

Comments

• ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,378 ★★★★★
    Red Guardian
    This is tough, really depends what you want more attack defense or dual threat. If it's attack only then the answer is pretty obvious, otherwise Photon.
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,375 ★★★★★

This is tough, really depends what you want more attack defense or dual threat. If it's attack only then the answer is pretty obvious, otherwise Photon.

I like both and I’m not leaning toward either cause I have a pretty good mix already. Not sure how RG is doing this meta with the armor though
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,195 ★★★★★
    Red Guardian
    To me this is just a case of offense or defense, whichever you need more. I have both completely maxed so I’d recommend taking them both up eventually.

For your skill rankup it’s again a case of do you need offense or defense, but also are you doing the ccp challenges and are you choosing Masacre. If you’re not, I’d do masacre, if you are, I’d do korg
    Red Guardian
    Emilia90 said:

I like both and I’m not leaning toward either cause I have a pretty good mix already. Not sure how RG is doing this meta with the armor though
    I haven’t used him yet this meta but most of his damage is from crits, and those bypass armor & resistance. For the most part he should be fine, it’s just a little more punishing if he doesn’t crit much.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,402 Guardian
    Red Guardian

To me this is just a case of offense or defense, whichever you need more. I have both completely maxed so I’d recommend taking them both up eventually.

For your skill rankup it’s again a case of do you need offense or defense, but also are you doing the ccp challenges and are you choosing Masacre. If you’re not, I’d do masacre, if you are, I’d do korg

Yeah that’s a good point but I’m not leaning either way which is why I’m a little conflicted. I have a good mix so this would be a W for me either way

I did the challenges and picked double Starky so massacre could 100% be a good choice
    Red Guardian
    Pikolu said:

Was that on the current meta?
    Red Guardian
    Emilia90 said:

That's what I'm wondering too not sure how well he can do this meta, I haven't tried but I thought he'd be very risky to use so I've been using Cassie instead.
    I'd assume you're kinda screwed if they get 5 armors or more but I could be wrong.

Emilia90 said:

That's what I'm wondering too not sure how well he can do this meta, I haven't tried but I thought he'd be very risky to use so I've been using Cassie instead.
    I'd assume you're kinda screwed if they get 5 armors or more but I could be wrong.
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking but I hope he’s still good despite it

Would also love your 2 cents on the skill rank up :)
    Red Guardian
    Emilia90 said:

Yeah that’s a good point but I’m not leaning either way which is why I’m a little conflicted. I have a good mix so this would be a W for me either way

I did the challenges and picked double Starky so massacre could 100% be a good choice
    In that case I think my votes are red guardian and korg. You have a good balance between offense and defense so I’m trying to keep that in tact. Red guardian to me is a slightly better attacker for bgs than Masacre since he’s a little bit faster, and has more damage off the sp2 if you double crit. (which happens often thanks to his sig) Also I feel like mystic defenders are much more common compared to science ones, and having buff immunity is a huge help for them compared to some other science attackers.

I actually think photon would be a better rankup than korg but since you’re using catalysts you won’t have enough for 2 science rankups. I personally think korg is more annoying than killmonger and sig 200 on korg is more important imo than killmonger who gets away with just a dupe.
    Red Guardian
    Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

What sig are Korg and KM?

I wanted to say Mantis but two things:
    1. I'm not 100% sure how hard a r5 would hit. My r3 usually hits for about 400k so a r5 should be hitting for about 300k? Don't quote me on that though cause I could be wrong lol she definitely hits hard though.
    2. Korg and KM would be useless even if you pulled the 7* cause they need awakening and a bunch of sigs to really be threats, so if you did pull one of them as 7* after you r5 the 6* you would still be better of using the 6*.

Emilia90 said:

In that case I think my votes are red guardian and korg. You have a good balance between offense and defense so I’m trying to keep that in tact. Red guardian to me is a slightly better attacker for bgs than Masacre since he’s a little bit faster, and has more damage off the sp2 if you double crit. (which happens often thanks to his sig) Also I feel like mystic defenders are much more common compared to science ones, and having buff immunity is a huge help for them compared to some other science attackers.

I actually think photon would be a better rankup than korg but since you’re using catalysts you won’t have enough for 2 science rankups. I personally think korg is more annoying than killmonger and sig 200 on korg is more important imo than killmonger who gets away with just a dupe.
    Good points. Yeah I wish I could take both sciences up rn but I have to wait

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

1. I'm not 100% sure how hard a r5 would hit. My r3 usually hits for about 400k so a r5 should be hitting for about 300k? Don't quote me on that though cause I could be wrong lol she definitely hits hard though.
    2. Korg and KM would be useless even if you pulled the 7* cause they need awakening and a bunch of sigs to really be threats, so if you did pull one of them as 7* after you r5 the 6* you would still be better of using the 6*.
    Sig 200. Good points on the 7*, but I thought a 7* KM would still be pretty annoying tbh. The 7* Korg is definitely way easier than the 6* though
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Member Posts: 1,952 ★★★★
    Go with Red Guardian if you want a purely offensive nuke option, while Photon is a better defensive choice, and possesses more utility as well
    Red Guardian
    Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Sig 200. Good points on the 7*, but I thought a 7* KM would still be pretty annoying tbh. The 7* Korg is definitely way easier than the 6* though
    Personally I run Surfer a lot on my deck so I never have trouble with him lol but even if I didn't I think Korg is the move cause you really want him at high sig otherwise he won't be purifying enough to be a threat.
    Also, contrary to popular belief he's not a trash attacker, just needs a bunch of synergies but with them he's good.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,109 ★★★★★
    Photon
    Or rank up photon and use saga gem to take up red guardian.

Rank up killmonger in skill.
    Red Guardian

Pikolu said:

I wouldn't be in gold otherwise, so yes.
    Red Guardian
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Damn did that Maestro have any armor buffs at all?
    Just curious cause I haven't used mine, I thought the armor buffs would ruin his sp2 damage completely.
    Photon

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Just curious cause I haven't used mine, I thought the armor buffs would ruin his sp2 damage completely.
    Crit hits ignore armor
  • Yuvraj_267Yuvraj_267 Member Posts: 388
    Red Guardian
    Photon is better than ted guardian, without any doubt i vote red guardian bcoz only due to his 7* unavailability. 😅😅😅
  • jcphillips7jcphillips7 Member Posts: 1,390 ★★★★
    I did a match the other night where I used my ascended RG against an ascended AbsMan. Thought it was going to be a nuke wash from the get-go. That fight actually took a lot longer than expected and I got sloppy and took some big hits/incinerate damage. But, the fight ended up being a slog. It was mostly due to me because I didn't fully read the nodes. I knew they would get armor up in some capacity, but not that it was from every blocked hit, which I took a few of. It felt like I was doing absolutely no damage even with 2 Traumas up while he was in magma mode or no mode at all. Right before I killed him I looked up and saw Abs had 10 armor up buffs...

This was a one off, and one I learned from (luckily my defender was harder and I still won that match), but I'll def be more careful from here on out.

I would say RG due to unavailability as a 7* though. But...Photon is pretty great as well and I use my ascended one a ton. Just waiting to awaken my 7* version.
    Red Guardian

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Crit hits ignore armor
    I looked it up and it says they only ignore a portion of it, not all of it. Where'd you get that info?
    Photon

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Crit hits ignore armor
    I looked it up and it says they only ignore a portion of it, not all of it. Where'd you get that info?
    Yeah that's what I meant, crit hits ignore a portion of armor so often times I've seen it deal "close to normal damage".
  • PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,382 ★★★★★
    Besides the nuke and slow what else is notable for RG utility? The block unblockable specials isn't as reliable since the shield breaks?
    Red Guardian
    Polygon said:

Besides the nuke and slow what else is notable for RG utility? The block unblockable specials isn't as reliable since the shield breaks?

1. Buff immunity.
    2. You can fracture your shield with zero issues, as a matter of fact on most metas you're better off letting them fracture with a heavy as soon as the match starts so you can start doing parry heavy and getting massive damage right off the bat.
    Red Guardian

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Crit hits ignore armor
    Yeah that's what I meant, crit hits ignore a portion of armor so often times I've seen it deal "close to normal damage".
    Yeah if they get like 3 or 4 armor buffs max he might still work but more than 4 I don't think he will work, too slow
    Thanks for the input everyone! Decided to do photon for now and I’ll probably end up using the saga gem on RG unless SIM turns out to be even better
    Red Guardian

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Crit hits ignore armor
    Yeah if they get like 3 or 4 armor buffs max he might still work but more than 4 I don't think he will work, too slow
    He actually works fine at high sigs because while your sp2 might not crit, your heavies are almost guaranteed crits and crits ignore most of the armor they have. Brings a 25 second fight to 40ish seconds which still is not half bad.
  • Jack2634Jack2634 Member Posts: 912 ★★★
    Photon

Pikolu said:

I swear my sig 200 RG barely critted. If he crits he is easily top 3 Bgs attacker but if not, the man is absolute dog water
  • Jack2634Jack2634 Member Posts: 912 ★★★
    edited June 22
    Photon
    Jack2634 said:

Pikolu said:

I swear my sig 200 RG barely critted. If sp2 crits he is easily top 3 Bgs attacker but if not, the man is absolute dog water
    Always have to sp1 so i can have a bit more crit rating for sp2.