We Deserve Answers.

tommiietommiie Member Posts: 20
Hello there.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I feel very strongly against this current season of battlegrounds, and I think the community deserves to be heard on our frustrations.

For those who don't know me, my name is tom. I have been a part of this community for a few years, and never have I once been even close to as frustrated as I am at the time of making this post.

I have been playing battlegrounds since the game mode was in its beta stages. I have had both relaxed, and full try hard, no grass touching types of seasons. The past few seasons I have found myself in the top 50-60 ranked players in the world at the end of the last two seasons. No I am not the best player. I spend a lot of money on this game to be able to compete at the highest level of battlegrounds because that WAS what I enjoyed.

This season has single handedly made me lose faith in the development side of Kabam's game team.

For those who know me, I am someone who always makes sure that we test node sets in battlegrounds, or really be able to give new champions a fair opportunity to show their worth in this game before making final judgements about said node set, or champion.

As someone who plays this game as often as I do, and spend as much money as I do, I feel entitled to some kind of answer about what this meta actually is.

Battlegrounds is skill based matchmaking game mode. The same select number of people are at the top of the leaderboard most every season as proof of that. Summoners such as BeroMan, Andretheruff, Liam, Mesohawnee, Pepe, etc. manage to find themselves in Celestial IV or higher every season. That is not an accident that they are there. Some may say that I am not Celestial V material, and that maybe the seasons I finished there were by accident, and not due to some amount of skill. I would disagree to an extent.

However, this meta that Kabam has decided to make players suffer through in the second half of this battlegrounds season, takes ANY skill out of the players hands, and fully places it on a 16 space wheel.

For those who play anywhere near the top, or in battlegrounds in general, know that every single percentage of health point matters. Down to the decimal point, it matters, and is typically is what wins and loses matches.

In this meta, you are faced with a choice. You either need to sacrifice precious time points in the fight to back up at the start of the fight, potentially making you play against a specific champions rotation (i.e. Cosmic Ghost Rider triggering the precision judgement at the start of a fight), OR straight up gambling that the defender you are faced against does not land a 1/16 chance to go unblockable, or a 1/16 chance that you have a crush debuff on you at the start of a fight.

I have lost a number of games, a number well more than I care to admit, due to gambling that I did not land the 1/8 chance to start with a crush, or the defender starts unblockable.

Even moreso, I have lost more games solely due to having to deal with a Serpent, the most common problem defender, special attack that is either unblockable, or while I am crushed. Due to his kit, there is zero way to avoid taking a full special attack to the face in this interaction. I did nothing wrong inside of the fight, all the defender did was get a bar of power. The only way to potentially avoid this? Turtling your block, you might say? You can't do that because of the same reasons you would be taking that same special to the face.

Or how about going into a fight against an Onslaught, or a Havok, or a Bishop, and the defender has a shock debuff on them. Did the attacker do something wrong? Is that avoidable? Is that skill based?

As a fan of the product Kabam makes, and an active player in both the battlegrounds, and war community, I REFUSE to believe that Kabam would be so ignorant to feel like the interactions I have listed were intended. The team that makes the battlegrounds node sets deserves to speak up for what they put out with this meta. There are matches won, and lost, at ALL levels of the gladiator's circuit currently, due to something completely left up to RNG.

The team that put this node set either forgot that they needed to put out a node set for this season, or there was ZERO testing done with this node set you guys have put forth.

Either way, I would be embarrassed for the product you guys have put forth as a game team for Battlegrounds this season. And I feel entitled, as should the rest of the community, to answers as to why this was the node set you guys put out, and if there was ANY testing done.

Thank you.

Comments

• EgyptOverseerEgyptOverseer Member Posts: 325
    I have been lucky and gotten only daily wins on the GC since reaching it for the Magneton crystal. I am not pushing for anything on GC but I understand the frustration. I started a fight against a Havok with Infamous where I had a permanent armour.break and he had a shock on him. Wasn't fun, but after he threw the first special it was back to normal.
  • Qwerty12345Qwerty12345 Member Posts: 831 ★★★★
    while I agree it is frustrating... I think there are probably some ways something like this could have been mitigated...

If both players are given the same RNG... if you start crushed... then your opponent also starts crushed... that would make it a bit more fair.

That said, I have also lost many matches because the CPU wouldn't throw a special / lost too much time... or because Falcon with locked on couldn't make 1 crit in 5 to finish an opponent off, and the "calculated risk" to push enemy to SP3 backfired.

The game is full of RNG... if it wasn't, and the computer actually played "with proper strategy"... or was totally predictable it would trully be unplayable... but still we could at least all be playing the same RNG.
  • JuanmiJuanmi Member Posts: 42
    edited July 16
    I've never felt less inclined to play the game than with this current meta.
  • Asher1_1Asher1_1 Member Posts: 396 ★★
    It's same RNG what u want - pulling a champ is RNG , getting a perfect counter to champ in deck is RNG , defender throwing his special or not is RNG .

I can't pull many first batch 7* champ that's RNG .

Those who get higher means Top 10 they don't do anything different they just play & grind a lot .
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,023 ★★★★★
    Thankfully it's not another, "Why I'm facing top competition in top ranks of victory track."

• ZuroZuro Member Posts: 2,842 ★★★★★
    Agree, no idea how this meta passed testing. You usually manage to make high C5 as a ftp, but I'm hardly scratching mysterium 1 this meta. Hopefully we never see something this garbage again
  • LordSmasherLordSmasher Member Posts: 1,524 ★★★★★
    Competive mode shouldn't be decided on such randomness. They wouldn't do this in AW so why would they do it in BG?
  • TrongNovTrongNov Member Posts: 293 ★★★
    Just remove unblockable and crushed and it's good. However some debuffs can be detrimental to Juggs, the workhorse of BGs.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,091 ★★★★★
    TrongNov said:

Just remove unblockable and crushed and it's good. However some debuffs can be detrimental to Juggs, the workhorse of BGs.

Yeah Juggs isn't good in this meta

This meta is bs, but some meta have to be bs, We have to deal with this.

I'll say this again, This meta is wayy better than magic thief bs, imo.

The entire game is rng, You're allowed to complain about bad rng, everyone is entitled for a rant, But in the end, It is what it is.

True, there have been worse metas than this
  • NightheartNightheart Member Posts: 2,043 ★★★★
    The GC meta is fun but you haven't faced Destroyer when you have a crush debuff on you let me tell you it was painful lol
    BeroMan said:

Yes, I have been playing actively since the first beta and this is by far the worst BG meta we have ever had. And it was obvious from the first look. I wrote this one month ago as soon as I saw the nodes.

Yeah definitely, like this meta is so unpredictable.
  • SecondSkrillerSecondSkriller Member Posts: 1,314 ★★★★★
    I lost to Serpent’s unblockable specials or crushed on me almost everytime I faced him. He has insane power gain and he’ll eventually fire off an unavoidable 50% of your health special…
  • GamerGamer Member Posts: 10,694 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

BeroMan said:

Yes, I have been playing actively since the first beta and this is by far the worst BG meta we have ever had. And it was obvious from the first look. I wrote this one month ago as soon as I saw the nodes.

Yeah definitely, like this meta is so unpredictable.
    Why I always ban serpents even though I hav one my self it just makes so much easier yea bull eys is annoying but can at least kind hope he doesn’t get the unblocked so I can nuke him. It hit and miss but serpent is always one the bench.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,403 ★★★★★
    If it’s an RNG issue, doesn’t it impact every player?

Anyway, you should have made this a “relaxed” season instead of a “try hard”. Sounds like you’ve made that calculus before.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Member Posts: 3,085 ★★★★★
    I know this data would never be public, but I’d be fascinated to see these two things:

Compare a distribution of summoner win rates to past GCs.

Compare win rates based on matches played in the meta - 5, 10, 20, etc.

Part of me feels like the nodes would push win rates toward the middle and make it harder to win 70-80%. Part of me also thinks at the bottom there would be more summoners who just don’t “get it” and are unable to adapt.