Champion Spotlight - Sentry [Updated: Added 5-Star Stats]

1151618202140

Comments

  • ApacheApache Posts: 558
    I’ve come to realize the hard reality that Kabam knows that Sentry sucks but they don’t care so nothing about him will change

    I just wonder if any of them have even used him? Already weak charecter and even after 400+ plus hit combo his hits are still beyond weak not just weak. I mean even youtubers of the game say he’s trash
  • DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,842 ★★★★
    Because armor break and fury aren't abilities..lol..I just can't keep my mouth shut.
  • I’ve come to realize the hard reality that Kabam knows that Sentry sucks but they don’t care so nothing about him will change

    Kabam doesn't know that. Kabam looks like most MMO companies I've seen: their definition of performance is strictly datamining-based. Sentry will be considered underpowered or underperforming if they see underperformance in their overall game datamining. Sentry hasn't existed long enough for that data to exist.

    This is problematic for a lot of reasons, but it is also extremely commonplace.
  • DaMunk wrote: »
    Because armor break and fury aren't abilities..lol..I just can't keep my mouth shut.

    Of all the issues with Sentry, this is a silly nit pick. Only an unreasonable person would choose to interpret "Reality Warps are used as a multiplier for his abilities" to mean that every single ability would have such a modifier. The character description details what that multiplier means.
  • DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,842 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    DaMunk wrote: »
    Because armor break and fury aren't abilities..lol..I just can't keep my mouth shut.

    Of all the issues with Sentry, this is a silly nit pick. Only an unreasonable person would choose to interpret "Reality Warps are used as a multiplier for his abilities" to mean that every single ability would have such a modifier. The character description details what that multiplier means.

    Lol.. I knew what they meant. But to play devils advocate it wasn't very clear.
    Btw if it takes kabam 12, or whatever, months of data mining to determine Sentry sucks we are in worse shape than I thought. With all the feed back all it takes is for one of their employees to play the game while relaxing in one of those fancy nap bed at work to figure it out. No doubt lots of work is done looking at spreadsheets but don't make excuses because of lack of data. They all have phones or tablets.
  • DrOctavius2_2DrOctavius2_2 Posts: 416 ★★
    So they just announced they gonna buff Luke Cage and Red Hulk, while they continue to ignore this post. Kabam just trolling us at this point
  • Neroa65Neroa65 Posts: 302 ★★
    His 30% chance to change states is what's damning.. It should be increased to at least 60%+.. I've seen a situation where I had to hit 30 times, just to change states. Keep cycling 1, 2, then back to 3 (which means combos can't be interrupted). If he had at least 60%+ chance to change states, he'd be a lot better than he is because they've him built him in such a way that he depends on them.

    And the reality warps.. 40 hits for one. This should be brought down. That's all he needs really. But of course they won't listen. They never do.
  • FixxxFixxx Posts: 234
    They're banking on the synergy with Void. Otherwise, they won't release Sentry as is--this is problematic, a champ should stand on its own. Story-wise though, it suits Sentry--his full potential is only realized via Void

    Miike et al are pretty confident in the champ they released, and they may eventually be proven right for sticking to their guns. I personally hope the synergy barely does anything as I don't want a champ to need another champ to be at par with the rest. Again, a champ should stand on its own--synergies are just to better them
  • Neroa65Neroa65 Posts: 302 ★★
    They should probably share free 4* Voids then. I had one Gem. One Featured Crystal. And I know I will damn well not get as lucky as before to pull void from one Crystal. That being said, if Void hits like chicken.. People will go mental.
  • I have 12 T4CC Science and was hoping for Sentry to be at least as strong as Hyperion.
    Now, I just want Kabam to admit that Sentry is underwhelming and what they thought the community would say other than he sucks. Would also love to see more transparency regarding the design process.
    Is this now the way champions will be designed. Only work with other Champions an depending on the user to use items?
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    lol Mikes comment still makes me laugh. I’m sorry you’re disappointed that people called you out for creating a completely unusable champ and that’s even with the void synergy. The more I look at void, how come he was made into a solid champ? Voids abilities are awesome, he’s immune ton incinerate, can charge heavies and gain basically a 60% in increas in attack for a long time, not to mention all the random debuffs applied that inhibit so many abilities.
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    @Kabam Miike seriously explain to us why Sentry is basically 1/10th of a champ but Void comes ready as is for use? Why is void also not half a champ? Just trying to follow your flawed reasoning. Also please please let us know in advance before you nerf Void which you probably will thanks!
  • Aliab wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike seriously explain to us why Sentry is basically 1/10th of a champ but Void comes ready as is for use? Why is void also not half a champ? Just trying to follow your flawed reasoning. Also please please let us know in advance before you nerf Void which you probably will thanks!

    Also, why Kabam is creating on purpose mediocre champs? This is what Miike confirmed in his post "not all Champs can be as good as others"?
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    That is fine. Some champs are mediocre in comics and in game but will at least be useful for a synergy or just for people that like collecting all champs like Pokemon. But even duped spidergwen, she hulk, joe fixit, Kamala Khan, and DD Netflix(the usually most hated) have more uses than sentry. Sentry even with all his synergies, duped, and whatever has zero utility. Their suggested fights for sentry(dormamu, modok, and magik LOL) he would get massacred.
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    For now I’ve accepted that Sentry is just for prestige and arena grinding and nothin more. Even when added to the void. But Void looks like an epic beast and at least glad i didn’t waste too many resources on Sentry. Now let’s just pray that the kabam overlord losers don’t nerf void when he’s released(they probably will).
  • Neroa65Neroa65 Posts: 302 ★★
    Garga wrote: »
    npupscj9uj54.jpeg

    Also with the abilities actived the damage is ridiculous....

    Would've loved to see it crit.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 19,972 ★★★★★
    Aliab wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike seriously explain to us why Sentry is basically 1/10th of a champ but Void comes ready as is for use? Why is void also not half a champ? Just trying to follow your flawed reasoning. Also please please let us know in advance before you nerf Void which you probably will thanks!

    There is no vendetta on Void. There's also nothing that says both have to be OP. I can see people aren't happy with Sentry, but there's also the fact that his complexity would make a Champ that is too powerful if any small part is altered too much. I've seen the videos. I know what people are referencing. He's complex. He has carry-over. His Damage is on the low side, yes. If you add the Void Synergy to that, it supposedly increases. What would happen if they amped him up too much and then added that Synergy? I get people are frustrated. I'm just pointing out that we have to look at the design overall to understand the logic behind it. Not so much the Bio or Comics. Balancing a Champ goes beyond that. Besides, we don't have to have over 100 OP Champs. Then they wouldn't be OP. They'd just be equal strengths of varying Abilities, and that would be incredibly boring and arduous to design.
  • Neroa65Neroa65 Posts: 302 ★★
    Aliab wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike seriously explain to us why Sentry is basically 1/10th of a champ but Void comes ready as is for use? Why is void also not half a champ? Just trying to follow your flawed reasoning. Also please please let us know in advance before you nerf Void which you probably will thanks!

    There is no vendetta on Void. There's also nothing that says both have to be OP. I can see people aren't happy with Sentry, but there's also the fact that his complexity would make a Champ that is too powerful if any small part is altered too much. I've seen the videos. I know what people are referencing. He's complex. He has carry-over. His Damage is on the low side, yes. If you add the Void Synergy to that, it supposedly increases. What would happen if they amped him up too much and then added that Synergy? I get people are frustrated. I'm just pointing out that we have to look at the design overall to understand the logic behind it. Not so much the Bio or Comics. Balancing a Champ goes beyond that. Besides, we don't have to have over 100 OP Champs. Then they wouldn't be OP. They'd just be equal strengths of varying Abilities, and that would be incredibly boring and arduous to design.

    You're on point my man but he depends on his modes/states of mind to deal insane damage. But those modes have to activate one by one the more you hit the opponent, and 30%.. Doesn't activate much.. That's why I think they should increase the % and he'll be alright.

    Think of it like Ghostrider's Judgements.. If they all had 30% chance to proc. He'd be serious trash.
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    Grounded wisdom I do agree about needing to balance a characters comic book abilities with their game counterpart. I never said he has to be as powerful as in the comic books because that is absolutely ridiculous. And yes he’s complex and has carry through only when duped and at 70% health or above(his armour is too weak to make this that reliable) and add the void synergy he’s still not that powerful because his crit rate is abysmal and the rate for abilities to trigger is even worse. Even with the reality warps, perfect combo and special timings etc he still doesn’t add up to much of anything. He’s more broken than he should be. And Void you’d think would also need to be balanced for the game but read his abilities, he’s ridiculously OP compared to sentry and that’s without his dupe or any synergy needed. That’s what people are complaining about the most. They keep saying he is a niche fighter and has uses, but as people have extensively tried him out no such use has been found.
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    And like Neroa said, even OG Spider-Man who has a relatively low evade rate triggers it way more often than Sentrys abilities. Even with the cruelty and precision masteries he crits almost never. People have even had videos of 700+ hit fights and his abilities only proced 2-3 times in that period! I even tried him with two quakes, a Hawkeye, and crossbones and he was still utter garbage.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 19,972 ★★★★★
    Neroa65 wrote: »
    Aliab wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike seriously explain to us why Sentry is basically 1/10th of a champ but Void comes ready as is for use? Why is void also not half a champ? Just trying to follow your flawed reasoning. Also please please let us know in advance before you nerf Void which you probably will thanks!

    There is no vendetta on Void. There's also nothing that says both have to be OP. I can see people aren't happy with Sentry, but there's also the fact that his complexity would make a Champ that is too powerful if any small part is altered too much. I've seen the videos. I know what people are referencing. He's complex. He has carry-over. His Damage is on the low side, yes. If you add the Void Synergy to that, it supposedly increases. What would happen if they amped him up too much and then added that Synergy? I get people are frustrated. I'm just pointing out that we have to look at the design overall to understand the logic behind it. Not so much the Bio or Comics. Balancing a Champ goes beyond that. Besides, we don't have to have over 100 OP Champs. Then they wouldn't be OP. They'd just be equal strengths of varying Abilities, and that would be incredibly boring and arduous to design.

    You're on point my man but he depends on his modes/states of mind to deal insane damage. But those modes have to activate one by one the more you hit the opponent, and 30%.. Doesn't activate much.. That's why I think they should increase the % and he'll be alright.

    Think of it like Ghostrider's Judgements.. If they all had 30% chance to proc. He'd be serious trash.
    I have a theory that we procure less the harder the AI. Not exactly sure what it would be based on, but I've noticed with higher Fights, Abilities are harder to procure. Same with Class Advantage. I've noticed I procure more with Class Advantage. Now, I'm not implying anything hidden or starting any off-topic conspiracy, but there is a point to my madness. Lol. The majority of testing has been done in more difficult content. I saw more procurement in Seatin's testing, but he was using a 3* Max against relatively simple AI. I think that's the tricky part. He relies on RNG, for the most part. I love the carry-over aspect. Great for Questing. I'm still a proponent of gathering data before buffing any new Champs. I think it's the most prudent way to analyze their effectiveness, but I would have to agree with what you say about the procurement because in my experience, there is less with harder content.
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    Yeah agreed grounded wisdom and for sure in more difficult fights abilities are harder to procure(just ask my witch). Class advantage they’ve said before does affect ability accuracy by a little, and I think when fighting opponents that outrank/outclass you something about the challenger rating makes all abilities like crit rate etc go down in effectiveness. You are right that changes to sentry can make him easily Op. I’m not saying increase the proc rate for his abilities(but even his 70% trigger rate for fury and armour break is a joke. They don’t stack so why not just make those 100% guarantee like the regen?). But he was promised as a science entry for long fights, a good counter to dormamu/magik, and capable of dealing massive damage. But that massive damage appears once every 200 hits so clearly something is off about his balancing.
  • Neroa65 wrote: »
    Aliab wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike seriously explain to us why Sentry is basically 1/10th of a champ but Void comes ready as is for use? Why is void also not half a champ? Just trying to follow your flawed reasoning. Also please please let us know in advance before you nerf Void which you probably will thanks!

    There is no vendetta on Void. There's also nothing that says both have to be OP. I can see people aren't happy with Sentry, but there's also the fact that his complexity would make a Champ that is too powerful if any small part is altered too much. I've seen the videos. I know what people are referencing. He's complex. He has carry-over. His Damage is on the low side, yes. If you add the Void Synergy to that, it supposedly increases. What would happen if they amped him up too much and then added that Synergy? I get people are frustrated. I'm just pointing out that we have to look at the design overall to understand the logic behind it. Not so much the Bio or Comics. Balancing a Champ goes beyond that. Besides, we don't have to have over 100 OP Champs. Then they wouldn't be OP. They'd just be equal strengths of varying Abilities, and that would be incredibly boring and arduous to design.

    You're on point my man but he depends on his modes/states of mind to deal insane damage. But those modes have to activate one by one the more you hit the opponent, and 30%.. Doesn't activate much.. That's why I think they should increase the % and he'll be alright.

    Think of it like Ghostrider's Judgements.. If they all had 30% chance to proc. He'd be serious trash.
    I have a theory that we procure less the harder the AI. Not exactly sure what it would be based on, but I've noticed with higher Fights, Abilities are harder to procure. Same with Class Advantage. I've noticed I procure more with Class Advantage. Now, I'm not implying anything hidden or starting any off-topic conspiracy, but there is a point to my madness. Lol. The majority of testing has been done in more difficult content. I saw more procurement in Seatin's testing, but he was using a 3* Max against relatively simple AI. I think that's the tricky part. He relies on RNG, for the most part. I love the carry-over aspect. Great for Questing. I'm still a proponent of gathering data before buffing any new Champs. I think it's the most prudent way to analyze their effectiveness, but I would have to agree with what you say about the procurement because in my experience, there is less with harder content.

    So, he's been out for 5, going on 6 days now and lots of players have tried him in almost every aspect of the game and found him sub par. I'm just curious, how much data do you think needs to be collect ? A week, a month, a year?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 19,972 ★★★★★
    I suppose if I wanted to look at it objectively, there's a certain amount of emphasis to it. As powerful as Sentry is supposed to be, Void is the embodiment of the destructive aspects of him. It places emphasis on the raw power. We saw the same with Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. People were thirsty for DP (Dark Phoenix, LOL). I suspect we will see her playable when the movie comes out this year. If so, she may be quite a Champ. Although I'm still a fan of Phoenix, and she received the same rap.
  • AliabAliab Posts: 138
    Haha groundedwisdom that was funny. Yes true I guess that would be part of the reason Void is more destructive but then Sentry is the embodiment of light basically so he should have some more immunities/defence abilities than he does. Phoenix is strong as hell and can use an sp3 so often in one fight she’s crazy good but yeah weak armour and health, but people just don’t know how to use her and they forget that as Phoenix Jean grey was limiting her ultimate potential. I can’t wait for dark Phoenix and I hope she’ll have some cool synergies too.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 19,972 ★★★★★
    edited January 2018
    Aliab wrote: »
    Haha groundedwisdom that was funny. Yes true I guess that would be part of the reason Void is more destructive but then Sentry is the embodiment of light basically so he should have some more immunities/defence abilities than he does. Phoenix is strong as hell and can use an sp3 so often in one fight she’s crazy good but yeah weak armour and health, but people just don’t know how to use her and they forget that as Phoenix Jean grey was limiting her ultimate potential. I can’t wait for dark Phoenix and I hope she’ll have some cool synergies too.
    I think one of the reasons these Champs are disliked at first is the building aspect. I mean, if we look past the low output. Phoenix is great if you build 5-10 Fury. I think people generally want Damage as fast as possible. Some Champs are more complex with building. TBH, I love the concept of a Champ you can build over multiple Fights, with varying Buffs. Sort of a game within a game.
  • Aliab wrote: »
    Haha groundedwisdom that was funny. Yes true I guess that would be part of the reason Void is more destructive but then Sentry is the embodiment of light basically so he should have some more immunities/defence abilities than he does. Phoenix is strong as hell and can use an sp3 so often in one fight she’s crazy good but yeah weak armour and health, but people just don’t know how to use her and they forget that as Phoenix Jean grey was limiting her ultimate potential. I can’t wait for dark Phoenix and I hope she’ll have some cool synergies too.
    I think one of the reasons these Champs are disliked at first is the building aspect. I mean, if we look past the low output. Phoenix is great if you build 5-10 Fury. I think people generally want Damage as fast as possible. Some Champs are more complex with building. TBH, I love the concept of a Champ you can build over multiple Fights, with varying Buffs. Sort of a game within a game.

    That's all well and good, but if they aren't good enough champs to make it to multiple fights then it's kinda pointless.
This discussion has been closed.